Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Good recipes for low-calorie vegetable dishes?

So here's the thing. I know vegetables can be good if you cook them well. I have a friend who cooks vegetables deliciously. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. I don't really like them steamed, boiled, roasted or stir-fried, and I'm not sure what other options there are. Anyone know?
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #2  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

I'd definitely try a vegetarian cookbook, or VegWeb--lots of tasty veggie dishes that are low-cal or can be modified.

Also, I think seasoning is the trick to good vegetables, more so than the method of cooking. Maybe invest in some good, tasty spices and experiment with them? Also, maybe ask your friend for the recipes that you like.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'm not sure, calorie-wise, what this is, but it's GOOD. In the past I've been completely unable to stand brussels sprouts. As my brother-in-law says....they taste like a foot.

But I made them this way the other day and ate a TON.

Thaw a package of frozen sprouts, the baby ones work best, then cut off the ends and cut them in half. Set them aside.

Take a couple of pieces of bacon (or not, if you prefer...this works without the bacon too), and pan fry them 'til they're crispy in a non-stick skillet. Take them out and let them rest on paper towel, and crumble 'em up when they're cool.

In the meantime, with the leftover grease (or a little butter, oil, or whatever you want to use), brown the sprouts for a few minutes. Then add about a cup of chicken or beef stock, along with some salt and pepper. Let them simmer 'til they're as done as you want them. If you like them soft, like we do, you may need to add more liquid at some point. Stir occasionally.

When they're as done as you want them, take the bacon crumbles and put them over the top.

Like I said, I haven't figured the calories on this....but consider around 40 calories in an entire cup of the stock, 1 cup of cooked sprouts has around 70 and two pieces of pan-fried Hormel Black Label bacon has 80 calories. So it's not bad....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote