General chatter - Best Places for Those OMG I Forgot My Lunch Days

paniania
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
So, I just got back from lunch and I thought that it would be neat to find out other people's best lunch places for those days when you either a) forgot your lunch b) had lunch plans that were unexpectedly cancelled or c) had some other lunch catastrophy.

My top pick would have to be Wow Bao. I'm not sure if this is a Chicago-only phenomenon so I'll explain. Wow Bao is an Asian (leaning toward Chinese) carryout/eat-in spot that serves primarily Bao (steamed buns filled with a variety of different meats, veggies, etc. [even eggs for breakfast]), dumplings, potstickers, rice/noodle bowls, soups, and salads. Their highest calorie item (the BBQ Pork Rice Bowl) has 706 calories - quite a find when it comes to fast food.

Today's lunch consisted of:
5 Pork and Cabbage Potstickers - 264 cal.

Asian Vegetable Salad - calories not listed for some reason, but it had no calorie ladden others (i.e. cheese, croutons, bacon bits, etc.), just shredded veggies (red onion, lettuce, nappa cabbage, red pepper, cilantro, bean sprouts, and red pepper) and the dressing was on the side.

Green Tea with Honey - 84 cal.

I will definitely be going back. Not as generic as Subway, and not as life-threatening as McDonalds.

What are your best emergency lunch finds?

junebug41
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Mad Greens. :drool:

It's basically like Subway for salads except there's about a million more ingredients and the quality is excellent for fast casual. I have no excuse to not eat well if there's a Mad Greens nearby.

nelie
01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Chipotle. I used to not like Chipotle until I gave up meat but now its a lifesaver.

wanna b thin
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Mine is Subway, I love the Subway Club Salad with Fat Free Sweet Onion Dressing. I actually plan on going there about once a week. The girl at my local Subway knows what I want without asking. Although the Chicken Breast Salad with Fat Free Honey Mustard is very good too.

Mad Greens and Wow Boa's both sound great but nothing like that near me at work.

nelie
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

It's basically like Subway for salads except there's about a million more ingredients and the quality is excellent for fast casual. I have no excuse to not eat well if there's a Mad Greens nearby.

I know its been a while (3 years) since I lived in Denver, but is this new? Never heard of them!

Shannon in ATL
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I like Chick-Fil-A if I'm looking for drive thru, Sweet Tomatoes if I want sitdown...

junebug41
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I know its been a while (3 years) since I lived in Denver, but is this new? Never heard of them!

It is pretty new. It was one of those thing where there was one restaurant and then they just started showing up all over the place (Boulder, downtown, Lakewood, Cenennial, etc...). It's a lifesaver!

RN BSN 2009
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
i'd have to say subway or a small healthy item that will hold me over until i can make it to a real meal at home

Schumeany
01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
OK, so I am a Subway girl myself. I like to get a turkey sub on whole wheat...and get it toasted with piles of veggies, no sauce -- but with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Evil as it seems, I also like the Southwest Chicken Salad at Jack-in-the-Box --grilled chicken, beans, corn, some jack cheese, spinach in the greens -- yum. I skip the crunchy corn things and generally skip the dressing as well or use just a touch.

nelie
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd think maybe a subway salad wouldn't be bad and although I love sandwiches, I never thought the subway bread was very good. I work across the street from a subway but would never think to go there because if I'm going to eat bread, I'm going to eat bread I like.

Onsecondthought
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
that's too funny! i went to wow bao today too...thai herb broth and steamed chicken potstickers! so good!

Darby1
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Junebug-thanks for the heads up about Mad Greens! My sister and I are going to up Denver later in the month and I've been racking my brains trying to figure out a good and inexpensive place to eat. This may just fit the bill.

BabyFatGone
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Panera bread -- they have good sandwiches/salads/soups. I love their black bean soup which is low fat and very filling.

CandyKisses0204
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I work at panera bread. Black bean is very good but you have to be careful with all the sandwiches. Even the salads.

If im at job #2 (panera) Its either a granola parfait (310 cals) half tuna on ciabatta (340ish) or a Med Veg. Yumm And chicken tortilla soup. Thats my new fav.

Other wise is a 6in veggie from subway with cheese and no sauce and yogurt. Or this place the wing station that has a Gyro salad with the gyro meat, chicken, feta and lots of veggies. No dressing.

tamaralynn
01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
There's a few

Pita Express - grilled meats and wide veggie variety
Subway - num
Sushi Express
- Sukiyaki Express (lol wow lot's of expresses here!). I forgot lunch today and bought a HUGE bowl of soup... beef, broth, buckwheat noodles, and tons of veggies.

nelie
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Panera would probably be number 2 with black bean and a veggie sandwich, no feta, on whole grain. (1/2 soup, 1/2 sandwich). Although when I go to Panera, I think of that as a treat rather than an "oh what am I going to do for lunch, I forgot my lunch!" thing.

cbmare
01-15-2009, 05:11 PM

I tried to find a website for them. I couldn't, just some articles from the Denver paper.

Next time you go to Mad Greens, would you please find out if they are planning on expanding? Sounds like something I would love.

nelie
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I tried to find a website for them. I couldn't, just some articles from the Denver paper.

Next time you go to Mad Greens, would you please find out if they are planning on expanding? Sounds like something I would love.

if you search for "mad greens", its the first one that pops up www.madgreens.com

cbmare
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I will go to Fresh Choice. I know many of you say that salad bars are very bad but I just don't see how veggies piled on a plate with dressing on the side and very little eaten can be that bad for you. Once in a while I will allow myself to have a little soup. If it is a new soup, I'll try some if I can get the nutritional info before hand.

Chili's has their nutritional info on line. I can pick out a soup or chili and stay within reasonable bounds.

However, one of the chickie's on here introduced me to a vegan restaurant on one of our outings. I'm loving that place. I wish they had nutritionals available.

Where my job is located, I'm across the street from Trader Joe's and there is a Safeway nearby. I can run into either one of those and pick up something if need be. Safeway seems to always have a sale on frozen dinners.

I actually try and keep a can of the vegetarian chili from TJs in my desk.

cbmare
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
if you search for "mad greens", its the first one that pops up www.madgreens.com

Thanks. I went back and did the search and left out the word "restaurant". It came right up. DUH!

Thanks.

junebug41
01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Junebug-thanks for the heads up about Mad Greens! My sister and I are going to up Denver later in the month and I've been racking my brains trying to figure out a good and inexpensive place to eat. This may just fit the bill.

Are you going to be downtown? If so, there's one near the contemporary art museum and there's one on the 16th st mall near the convention center.

Please feel free to PM me for recommendations if you're going to be in the city :)

junebug41
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM

the website isn't working for me for some reason, though I've never had a problem with it before :?:

It's very popular so I'm sure they will keep expanding. I know there are similar chains out east so I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for the west coast!

cbmare
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Are you going to be downtown? If so, there's one near the contemporary art museum and there's one on the 16th st mall near the convention center.

Please feel free to PM me for recommendations if you're going to be in the city :)

Maybe you two could meet there and have lunch. I love my lunches with one of the chickies on here.

junebug41
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I've never met a chickie in real life! It's funny, I'm involved on another board that follows a band and I've met tons of people through that, but never a chickie.

Denver shoutout: If anyone needs a walking buddy, hit me up :lol:

lizziep
01-16-2009, 03:01 AM
For Eugene, OR area people there are lots of great hippie places that are pretty good- sometimes you have to watch out for hidden fat and calories though. We have Mucho Gusto- vegetarian friendly- subway style they build your burrito/taco whatever right in front of you. Three Forks - asian style stir fry with brown rice whatever veggies you want. Cafe Yumm! for yumm bowls made w/ brown rice & beans and veggies. Pita Pit- aslo a subway style build it in front of you- big fat pita. their nutritional info is all online and for all the separate add ons so you can know exactly how much you're getting- and they deliver and are open super late! they are so awesome.
oh wow i looked them up and they are everywhere! http://www.pitapitusa.com/

Darby1
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Junebug-thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that! I don't get up to Denver often (live in the Springs) and don't know the city very well, although my two favorite restaurants are there.

cbmare
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
There's a Pita Pit in San Jose! Yeah! Whenever I'm over that way again, I think I'll give it a try!

beachpotato
01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
trader joe's - love their salads and they have some great soups and sandwiches (sandwiches are on the high side). And sushi... and wraps... and rolls...