Exercise! - Ever worked out so hard you cried?

LanMyers
01-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh man, I will feel really lame if this is not a shared experience! I haven't worked out in a long time. TOO LONG apparently. Well, I purchased Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd. I actually did the turbo jam 20 minute workout 2 days ago, and barely made it through, but TJ used to kick my butt so I thought it wasn't too much of a tell tale sign of my pansiness.

Well, I did the level one of Jillian's shred tonight and, after passing out on my couch for 3-4 30 second segments during the 20 minute work out I made it through the 20 minute workout. AHHH!!! I was emotional, I was weepy, I was in tears. What is strange is that this has happened to me once before, the first time I finished the Turbo Jam 45 minute cardio party. Same thing, weepy, emotional. The best way I can describe it is to call it being OVERWHELMED.

Someone, please tell me this has happened to you. Please, tell me I am not alone in this. I need to hear it, otherwise, I will feel like a freak... and we all know that's not upbuilding. Blerg.

RN BSN 2009
01-14-2009, 10:14 PM
It happens from time to time. HUGS!

Lovely
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I actually get semi-teary when I'm on the treadmill sometimes.

It feels so amazing, but it's a lot of work... so it was overwhelming, but for me it was in a good way.

choirgirlhotel
01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes! Me too to the treadmill. when I get an amazing song on the treadmill and I'm sprinting so fast I just....cry.

It's just your body releasing stuff...it's okay!

~CGH~

PS. I did the 30-day shred on Saturday and couldn't stop shaking for hours!

bopeep
01-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Oh boy - I am thinking about buying the 30 day shred dvd, and it looks like I will be in for a LOT more than I think! :D 20 minutes sounds like such a short time...

I'm sure those will be famous last words and I will probably melt into the floor halfway through! If I only get weepy, I'll consider it a success! Hopefully I won't barf! :lol:

BP

slimmingsi
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
no but i've passed out. collapsed on the floor of the gym after a really hard session. burned all my carb reserves felt light headed anf fell like a giant oak.

i've seen people crying after a beasting session at the rugby club usually when vomiting from sprints

TJFitnessDiva
01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't cry but I'm one to yell out & growl (can't think of a better word for the noise that comes out of my mouth lmao!) when I hit a tough spot....it's like the extra push I need to finish

inklestinkle
01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I cry all the time, but not exercising. When I do, though, it's cathartic. My body, my brain, whatever, just needs to... so it's no biggie. I yell when I work out, too, RomanceDiva. It's the same really, just pent up frustrations and other feelings getting out. But it doesn't bother me, whatever you have to do to get the workout done and all your feelings out.

It's hard starting to exercise again. I just did two weeks ago and I pause the workouts every few minutes to catch my breath. The important thing is to stick with it, move forward and keep getting better. :hug:

LanMyers
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't say what "usually" happens, because it has only happened twice. But I will say that both times I really (unbelievably) wanted to quit but I didn't let myself and I was so overwhelmed that I actually made it to the cool down.

I was talking to my husband last night who has seen me try and quit my weightloss efforts about a hundred times in our six years of marriage. I said "How in the WORLD am I supposed to do this again tomorrow?!?! Can't I just do a cardio workout tomorrow!!?" It also didn't help that he came in when I was about to pass out and started making fun of the music with his stupid dance that he does. I wanted to kill him... NO, I wanted to make HIM do it!

BUT, he said if I wanted it bad enough I would make the right choice and just keep doing it. Power through the soreness. I also wanted to say that while I am not doing a formal diet, I am making better choices. Haven't gotten fast food in four days (I usually go atleast once if not TWICE daily, no wonder I'm such a lard!), haven't had soda in four days. I have been having oatmeal or wholegrain cereal in the morning and a whole wheat turkey sandwich for lunch. I am thinking, since I get off work at 6pm that I will forgo dinner and have a fiber/protein bar instead. Don't want to be eating a full meal so late. I go to bed at around 9:30 to 10 pm.

It's not perfect, but it is better than it was and I will fine tune my diet over the next few months as I really start to get into my groove with the working out. I don't want to overload myself by insisting on perfect diet and perfect exercise all at the same time just starting out. I will burn myself out and quit in a week or two. I am also enlisting a few of my friends to try it with me! This time I will not make the mistake of doing it alone, I will have buddy support! I'm psyched!

gymlee
01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes it's all about baby steps! You'll make the changes as you go that are right for you when the time is right! I have to say great job for powering through and making it to the end of 30DS. That is an absolutely killer DVD and Jillian herself wanted to die as she was filming it so don't feel bad. I've heard her talk about it on her radio show and she said how she was surprised she made it through haha.

As for crying I've only ever actually cried from exercise maybe once or twice and one time was actually from the stretching portion at gymnastics when we were doing splits and we had to hold each split for 1 min straight and everytime someone came down we had to start over. Well I ended up sitting in my middle split for over 10 mins and by that point I started crying because I thought my legs were about to pop outta my hip joint. I think the other time was doing one of Jillian's other videos. It's been a while since I've cried but more recently I grunt and scream and come close to puking I push so hard.

JazzyNurse
01-17-2009, 02:26 AM
I too cry at times when I am on a cardio machine. It is because I am proud of myself for doing what I need to do to reach my goal and I can imagine my new, healthy body and it's just down right exciting. Glad I'm not the only one. :D

mazza
01-17-2009, 04:04 AM
I remember once being in a BodyPUMP class - and I was on the brink of tears. I'd chosen a weight waaaaaaaay too heavy for 7 million shoulder press reps! :D

georgiad
01-17-2009, 10:54 PM
YES!

Someone once said on here - it was their exercise mantra - "you can complain, you can scream, you can cry, you can puke - but you CANNOT give up" and I've made that my exercise mantra ever since.

Occasionally on the cross trainer I've felt like this - just overwhelmed and exhausted and kind of frightened too.

But I went on a really tough hillwalk yesterday - it was just 45 degree uphill on bad track in the wind and rain and I burst into tears, but for a different reason. I knew that if I kept going I'd get to the other end of the hill, which was near where I live, but if I gave up I'd have to walk all the way back down and then round the hill back to where I live. So it was a sense of losing either way, as well as exhaustion and cold face!

But I kept going, and I'm glad I did. I was so pleased when I got to the top!

mazza
01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
A wise trainer once told me "You haven't really been a personal trainer until you'e been sworn at, puked on, spat on and had a client fart during a session"

kittycat40
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
yoga makes me cry (touches tucked away emotions)

Fungirl28
01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
You are not alone. I cried and screamed doing it and I definately cried after I finished. For me, it was like I made it through when I didn't believe that I would.

gymlee
01-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Someone once said on here - it was their exercise mantra - "you can complain, you can scream, you can cry, you can puke - but you CANNOT give up" and I've made that my exercise mantra ever since.

I do believe that's a Jillian Michaels quote!!! And yes it's sooooo true. Thanks for reminding me of this one!! I love it!!!!!

sweetchic82
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I cried when doing my Body Step because it was so hard but i managed to do it*literally gasping for air* situation hhehhe

PlatinumGi
04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I started doing Shaun T's INSANITY a few days ago. Seconds after the workout was over I was crying...I mean not like sobbing but I def shed a few tears. I'm pretty sure it was from the feeling of accomplishment and complete exhaustion! It's good though cause it's like a release...

Wannabeskinny
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I've cried before, most recently while doing Pilates. I don't cry because I want to give up or I'm unhappy. It's because I get overwhelmed with emotions. It's usually because I'm proud or because the physical strain taps into my psyche - it's an emotional release sometimes and i'm glad it happens from time to time.

TXMary2
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I have cried plenty while working out. Mainly out of frustration and feeling like I am going to die. Working out while fat is not easy and I get so mad at myself that the tears come.

devadiva
04-29-2010, 10:59 AM
When I first got P90x {a year ago now have done 3 rounds of doubles am now doing a doubles with .Insanity{second round} and Chaalene} I got to the YOGA day which is 1 and 1/2 hours I had not done much yoga and thought it was for wimps started CRYING HARD thinking oh my GAWD I am not going to be able to do this!!!! By the way that became one of my favorite p90x workouts!!!
30 day shred as what gave me the courage and STRENGTH to know that I COULD push my self and work hard and WANT to SOOOOOOO for my 57 birthday i asked for P90x............THE REST is history I have change into a JOCK a SEXY OLDER ONE!!!!

ohiofreespirit
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
i cried just last friday. i was feeling overwhelmed and like a failure when i was in an step aerobics class.

i've now rectified the situation so as to take some of the stress off of myself. i've chosen not to use the step and just to do the movements on the floor. It takes some of the pressure off my legs and knees. i'll still be doing the movements and working up a good sweat, just not with a step in front of me.

seagirl
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I cry during yoga too. I almost cried when I watched another woman in class doing forearm balance because it was her first time and she looked so graceful and I can't do it yet. They were happy tears.

saef
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Not in the way I think you meant when you asked the question, but yes, I cried during yoga. Constantly, for three months, as long as the class lasted. It happened during corpse pose, at the end. The teacher would talk us through that part, telling us to imagine ourselves on the beach or in some other comforting place. The tears ran sideways into my hair & sometimes into my ears. My father was dying of cancer at that point. When I had that empty contemplative space to let loose in, I would cry & cry.

ubergirl
04-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm sure I've farted, and puked, but I don't remember ever crying--funny-- because it sounds like something I'd do....

But tonight, I felt just plain weird after a forty-minute run-- just beyond exhausted and like the gym lights had suddenly gotten brighter.

I don't really enjoy being that exhausted.

redsox33
04-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Not in the way I think you meant when you asked the question, but yes, I cried during yoga. Constantly, for three months, as long as the class lasted. It happened during corpse pose, at the end. The teacher would talk us through that part, telling us to imagine ourselves on the beach or in some other comforting place. The tears ran sideways into my hair & sometimes into my ears. My father was dying of cancer at that point. When I had that empty contemplative space to let loose in, I would cry & cry.

I feel your pain and I'm truly sorry. It's so hard to watch a parent during a decline. I personally bottled up the pain, so perhaps, it was a blessing in disguise for you that you went through those emotional exercises (physically and mentally). I truly wish you the best.

saef
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks so much, redsox33. I have to say that during that time, exercise to me was a form of exorcism. If I hadn't had it, I don't know how I would have worked off the stress. Not just crying during corpse pose in yoga class, but also the hard bouts of cardio, which also helped.

No, actually, the truth is, I really do know how I would have worked off the stress. I would have eaten insane amounts of ice cream & other treats & gained 10 pounds, as my mother did. (She might have gained more., but she also skipped regular, healthy meals until I moved back home with my parents to help with my father's care & put myself in charge of cooking healthy meals for her & for me. My father could not eat anymore. He had stomach cancer.)

Anyway, to bring this thread back from a near-hijack. I continue to believe exercise REALLY IS a form of exorcism. Thus our tears & screams & etc. It helps get all the bad stuff out. It can be a form of physical self-expression, especially if we don't let that stuff out in other ways.

Wannabeskinny
04-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, I consider physical exercise to be a form of therapy.

redsox33
05-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much, redsox33. I have to say that during that time, exercise to me was a form of exorcism. If I hadn't had it, I don't know how I would have worked off the stress. Not just crying during corpse pose in yoga class, but also the hard bouts of cardio, which also helped.

No, actually, the truth is, I really do know how I would have worked off the stress. I would have eaten insane amounts of ice cream & other treats & gained 10 pounds, as my mother did. (She might have gained more., but she also skipped regular, healthy meals until I moved back home with my parents to help with my father's care & put myself in charge of cooking healthy meals for her & for me. My father could not eat anymore. He had stomach cancer.)

Anyway, to bring this thread back from a near-hijack. I continue to believe exercise REALLY IS a form of exorcism. Thus our tears & screams & etc. It helps get all the bad stuff out. It can be a form of physical self-expression, especially if we don't let that stuff out in other ways.

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish I had known you two years ago to save my self from the self destruction of weight gain. Thank you again.

EveLHaelf
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM
YES! The first few times I did Insanity I cried when I got to the end. I was so happy and proud of myself that the tears just came like crazy! There's also a part during plyometric cardio circuit where this sad-ish music starts playing and as i'm gasping for breath my eyes get all teary, lol.

Lydia227
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Oh My. Me too. During corpse pose too. The trigger for me was something the instructor had said as well as how she said it. That summer I had a rather demanding workout schedule and yoga was an add on in the evening. What the instructor said was simply...Now your work is done....kind of like I needed permission to be done. I also had a sudden flash forward into the future (admitting that I have no idea what this moment will really be like) but what it may be like to know at the end of your life that "your work is done" and it's time to rest. A little heavy in thought, I apologize but yes, same thing: tears just rolled fell from the corners of my eyes and down my face and I just couldn't stop. It was so embarrassing for me to be honest. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was affected by a session this way. :^:

Sorry for the loss of your father. :hug:

rainydays
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I completely agree about the cathartic effect of exercise. It's astounding...every thing that's wrong in my life and in the world gets pounded out of me, is flung off of me, is exhaled by me, is sweated out of me, and yes, is cried out of me for that hour. For that hour, I soar, and I forget that I have limitations. I will never stop exercising again in my life.

summerheart
06-04-2010, 02:37 AM
No but I want to! I know that sounds silly but I've watched a couple of seasons of The Biggest Loser and they're ALWAYS CRYING. I'm watching it like, "Why don't I cry?! I want to cry!" hahah.

astrophe
06-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Teary maybe. Like when I finished walking my first half marathon I was pretty pumped. But not full on crying. This concept is alien to me.

You say you are starting again after a long time. You know 30 Day Shred and Turbo are advanced? Why are you starting there rather than building up? Don't get hurt ok? :(

A.

stella1609
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The last 1/4 mi. of my first 5K was all uphill, pretty steep. It was SO HARD to push through. I was dry-sobbing--no real tears, but making panting/crying noises. I couldn't even walk it out after I hit the finish line--I had to sit down on the curb right there and rest for a few minutes.