Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Salsa - what do you do with it?

View Full Version : Salsa - what do you do with it?

jademarlene
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Love salsa, I use the thick and chunky on pasta and scrambles eggs, the thinner stuff as salad dressing.

How do you use your salsa?

aneleh
01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Put it in a turkey burger! Makes it so moist and yummy.

blanna
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I looooove salsa! I can eat it from the jar. But I like using it as a salad dressing, heated on top of chicken, with wheat thins, and even as a "sauce" on homemade pizzas!

azmom
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Salsa is the bomb!
I make my own homemade and use it on everything but my favorite is on pinto beans with fat-free sour cream!

HealthPNut
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
mmm... I love salsa! Sometimes I eat it mixed in with just hamburger meat. Sometimes I add a ton of lettuce to it to make it bigger, with some things like peppers, onions, and sourcream. It's so low-calorie too! It's like the wonder sauce :). Does anyone know if it keeps the health benefits you find in peppers and all the other ingredients?

Lovely
01-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Salsa is amazing! And sooo tasty.

I love making Salsa Chicken.

Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
Jar of Salsa
Add any type of vegetable or ingredient that you think will go with it. (I like peppers, extra diced tomatoes and onions, garlic, etc.)

Cook in slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.

Ta da! Salsa Chicken.

choirgirlhotel
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
At first I thought you were talking about salsa DANCING, and I was thinking....what do you do with salsa? Well, I guess do it with a friend, do it in a club? LOL.

~CGH~

Lovely
01-14-2009, 11:34 PM
At first I thought you were talking about salsa DANCING, and I was thinking....what do you do with salsa? Well, I guess do it with a friend, do it in a club? LOL.

~CGH~

:rofl:

rockinrobin
01-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I dip my veggies in it. Baby carrots, string beans, sliced cukes, grape tomatoes, bell peppers. What a great, low cal item.

jademarlene
01-15-2009, 12:34 AM
I did a search on salsa and Just Salsa magazine came up and I thought wow a whole magazine on salsa, how much can you write about salsa. It was the dancing, lol.

Tomato
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM

~CGH~

LOL Yes. You dance salsa for an hour, and then you eat salsa chicken (made by Faerie) afterwards. :D

I will be salsa-ing tonight in my Zumba class.

Hyacinth
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I put salsa on a baked potato.

I also mix it with shrimp, cilantro, green onions, and avocado, and dip baked tortilla chips in it.

LookingForMeAgain
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM

Jar of Salsa
Add any type of vegetable or ingredient that you think will go with it. (I like peppers, extra diced tomatoes and onions, garlic, etc.)

Ta da! Salsa Chicken.

I do this too!! :carrot:

Its also GREAT like this
Salsa
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Chicken
Corn
Combine in Crockpot cook on low 8 hours or high for 4.
Serve on Mission low carb tortillas with sprinkled cheese melted under the broiler (also toasts the tortilla) YUM!!!!!!!!!!!
(or you can serve like a soft taco, eat on chips, alone in a bowl, whatever)
Its really good and low in calories because a small serving is sooooooo filling!

brandy922
01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
salsa goes quick in our house. we usually have to buy 3 or 4 jars at a time. lately i've been blending it with my ranch dressing to make salsa ranch. it's really good and cuts the fat and calories in the dressing since u don't need as much.

MindiV
01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
The best use I've ever found for salsa is a salsa chicken pizza....using the salsa as the sauce, the chicken breast pieces as meat and 2% milk cheddar cheese on top. GOOOOOOOD stuff.

Lovely
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
The best use I've ever found for salsa is a salsa chicken pizza....using the salsa as the sauce, the chicken breast pieces as meat and 2% milk cheddar cheese on top. GOOOOOOOD stuff.

Wow! That sounds great! :drool:

BlueToBlue
01-16-2009, 10:21 PM
It is fabulous mixed with nonfat or lowfat cream cheese and stirred into cooked macaroni. You wouldn't think salsa, cream cheese, and macaroni would go together, but you'd be surprised. I got the idea from Trader Joe's--they were serving it in their tasting station one day--so this isn't some crazy concoction that I came up with that no one else would like. Here is a recipe I made for dinner a couple of weeks ago that was a big hit:

Creamy Southwest Pasta and Ham
- 8 oz dried pasta (elbows, wheels, rotini, or other shape, just not spaghetti)
- 6 oz red pepper, diced
- 6 oz green pepper, diced
- 12 oz cooked ham, diced
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 2-4 tbsp salsa
- 2 oz lite cheddar, shredded

Cook pasta in boiling water and drain.

While pasta is cooking, saute pepper and ham in a skillet coated with cooking spray.

Stir pepper, ham, cream cheese, and salsa into the drained pasta. Top with shredded cheddar.

This makes four servings. The calories can be as low as 270 per serving or up to around 450 per serving, depending on what kind of pasta, ham, cream cheese, salsa, and cheddar you use.

ANOther
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I put it on burgers, on sandwiches, in hash, and for breakfast with cottage cheese on top of a toaster crumpet or waffle. Mmmm.

We mostly get pineapple salsa (Newman's Own), but I'm interested in trying cranberry salsa. One co-op grocery near my office used to have Ocean Spray's cranberry salsa, but just when I made up my mind to get a jar, they stopped getting it, I think OS stopped making it, and now the co-op has gone out of business, and the only place I can find jarred cranberry salsa is on the net

kh012009
01-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Salsa is the best invention ever. I too like putting it on my tukey burgers or in with my scrambled Egg Beaters.

Hyacinth
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Yes, this does sound delicious! I've never liked chicken on pizza, but with a spicy tomato sauce instead of an Italian tomato sauce, I think I might just love it. :) Thanks for sharing!

Redflame
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Mexican Lasagna---whole wheat tortillas for the noodles, salsa and tomatoe sauce for the sauce, cottage cheese and cheddar for the cheese layers, added veggies like chopped carrots, onions, mushrooms etc. I add ground burger or turkey sometimes.

Mexian pizza, salsa as the sauce, home made ww pizza dough for the crust

Tortilla Soup, chicken broth and salsa--equal parts, can of black beans, cooked chicken, topped with crispy tortilla (in the oven) cut into strips, little bit of cheese and sour cream if you have the calories to spare

corazonas
01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
i LOVE salsa! i put it on veggie omelets, dip veggies into it, and of course on burritos. tomatoes are my FAVORITE so i usually eat salsa one way or another every day!

archychick
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
It is fabulous mixed with nonfat or lowfat cream cheese and stirred into cooked macaroni. You wouldn't think salsa, cream cheese, and macaroni would go together, but you'd be surprised.

Are you kidding??? You and I think alike! I love to drain it (keep the juice for virgin bloody marys) and mix it with fat free sour cream to use as a sauce over whole wheat pasta! Helps cut the alfredo cravings. ;)

I'll have to try it with ff cream cheese! Thanks!

archychick
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I use salsa for everything you would use tomatoes for. I like to also throw it into virgin bloody marys. I also make my own of papaya/mango/avacado/green onion/lime/pasilla peppers/teaspoon unfiltered olive oil and pepper. This usually goes over fish at our house.

Viva Salsa!

corazonas
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Jar of Salsa

Ta da! Salsa Chicken.

mmmmm i just put some chicken in the crock pot!! i bought some fresh pork tamales for everybody else but will be enjoyig a salsa chicken salad for myself! I used really chunky salsa so instead of adding more stuff to the pot i'm going to saute some peppers and onions and tomato fajita style right before we eat (everyone else will be having tacos, not salad)

yummy yummy i can't wait!