Exercise! - BodyFlex, is this for real?

View Full Version : BodyFlex, is this for real?

rachelfriend
05-10-2002, 04:47 PM
What do you know about BodyFlex? I tried the tapes for a month, and they did NOTHING for me!

I should have known better.

Carnation
05-10-2002, 09:53 PM
Hello. I have used Body Flex for four years. I lost 50# and then maintained for the rest of the time. Now I am adding more intensity to my sessions and making sure to do them every day instead of taking the weekends off as I did before.

I think it is terrific!!!

The most important thing is to perfect the breathing portion of the routine before adding positions. The most important thing is to perfect the breathing portion of the routine before adding positions.

Some people lose very rapidly and others are slower losers. If you have a small amount of weight and inches to get rid of, your losses will be slower.

Also a VERY big thing is to drink lots and lots of water.

You might want to try Body Flex again. Many people have had super results with it (as I have). There is a Body Flex support board on-line which is run by a gal named Jacque' and she is very good.

Hope this helps some.

Threads
05-10-2002, 11:08 PM
I, too like Body Flex. I am about to begin it again. I did it a few years ago and the inches really went. Lazy I guess is the only reason I didn't keep doing it. I realize now that 18 minutes a day sure beats an hour of walking to get the same results. I have a friend that is looking for the tapes. I told her to go to ebay. I am looking for the "gym in a bag" that Greer sells. (strength building bands)

snuggles101699
05-15-2002, 06:01 AM
Would it be illegal to have a friend copy these tapes for me so I could try them? I've already been taken in by so many scams I'm afraid to spend more money on these; even if someone does say they worked for them. I don't think my bank account can take any more! :dizzy:

Sannr
05-16-2002, 11:16 AM
Snuggles, go to e-bay and buy a used copy. I got mine for $7.

Good luck! :)

snuggles101699
05-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Hey thanks for the idea! May I ask if it's actually working for YOU??? I have seen her infomercial several times and part of it makes sense but I don't trust something that seems so easy... Anyway, thanks for the reply!:dizzy:

Jill19556
05-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Who's tape is this??? Would also like to get one. Jill

Carnation
05-20-2002, 05:19 PM
It is called: Greer Childers' Body Flex. When you order be sure to get the first tape that has an instructional video, a video with a routine on it, cassette audio tape and a measuring tape.

There is an "Advanced" video but that is only (repeat: only) for people who have perfected the breathing and stretching positions first. There are NO instructions included with the Advanced video.

You can order on-line, one of the home shopping shows carries it, and e-bay has had it. Shop for a good price. Greer Childers also has a book called "Be a Loser" I think. It makes good reading and will keep you going if you tend to lose momentum as I do.

This is an aerobic/anerobic breathing program with stretching positions. It can be done by just about anyone. I have severe arthritis and there are days where I cannot do anything else other than BREATHE. I tell people that the program is the breathing. An added benefit is the stretching positions which can be done sitting standing and some even lying down.

If you get the program, I hope it is as wonderful for you as it has been for me. You will feel silly with all the heavy breathing but it is well worth it!!!

I hope this helps some...

Avalon Whitemare
05-20-2002, 05:45 PM
This is good to hear. I bought the tapes, but never used them. My daughters used to watch them just so they could laugh at the funny face on the woman in the tape:lol: Now I'll have to dust them off and give them a real chance!

Blessings,
Avalon

snuggles101699
05-20-2002, 10:15 PM
I want to thank you for your information! I would never have known that the advanced was only that one video. I almost bought it on ebay than after reading your post realized that I am definently NOT advanced!! I need the bottom line instructions first. Thank you so much for the warning - saved me some money and head ache! Do you mind if I ask if you've lost anything on the program? Do you feel better with it like she says you will?:smug:

Carnation
05-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Hello, Snuggles...

See my post above from 5-10-02. I'm still losing but at a slower rate. I have about 25# to lose to get to my personal goal.

The Advanced program is only 9 minutes and is really for people who have mastered the program first. So do get the first set first!!! And if you can do so, the book is a good tool.

And here's another money-saving thing: There is a Body Flex support board run by Jacque' and she is really good at managing that board. She has designed her own method to step up the losses if one is at a plateau. It is called The Skipped Breath. (theskippedbreath.com) (I think) It's free!!!!!!

So when you get comfortable with BF, try The Skipped Breath but do wait until you have mastered the technique!!!

Also - when I started BF I did not do any other form of exercise. Just some sensible eating and BF. That's it. Now I am able to do some walking which I need because of arthritis.

I hope I've helped some. Just remember to master the breathing before attempting the stretches and it will work out better for you. Take a week if necessary before adding positions. And DRINK, DRINK, DRINK water!!!!!

Carnation
05-21-2002, 10:59 PM
I feel sooooo much better when doing BF. You will experience better lung capacity and won't get so winded on steps, etc. I found walking to be so much easier, also. I feel 100% better because of Body Flex.

If you are a walker or a runner you will really see a difference in your endurance. I was not an exerciser at all but now I feel as if I can do just about anything. It's a great feeling!!!

If you need help just let me know - I'll help if I can.

snuggles101699
05-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks Carleen! I'm going to check for a copy at ebay (the right one this time!). When I get it I'll let you know if I am having any problems... Thanks for the straight forwardness. I say NO to paid advertisers! What a bunch of liars; I am so sick of paying money to have something be a total rip off! But this sounds like it's the real deal!

Niobe
05-23-2002, 02:06 AM
:lol: Is there anyone else that has tried the body flex and the oxycise tapes? I would love to hear your stories, good or bad.

Maxwell
07-31-2002, 02:25 PM
I tried them briefly and loved how I felt! I am amazed that I noticed a difference so quickly. I'm going to start doing it again. I stopped for 2 reasons, the no. 1 reason was laziness and the no. 2 reason was my daughter making fun of the video. She was so annoying trying to act like Greer.

Carnation
07-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Hello. I just happened along and there was a new post about Body Flex. I am still doing Body Flex and still excited about how it makes me feel. I am still "a big girl" but I have quite a bit of muscle firmness and tone. Also, now I have a four-pack of abdominal muscles!!!!! I am concentrating on my thighs and hips now.

Max: I hope you do get back to Body Flex. You'll be glad you did.

Best wishes...

SunDrop
09-02-2002, 09:15 PM
I did BF at my MIL's when I visited for 2 weeks years ago. I thought it was silly and when I got home, though I had been pigging out on her Southern cooking and NOT dieting, I lost a few pouns and a few inches. Then I got pregnant and forgot about it... hmmm maybe I'll dust the copies she sent home with me off.

OK stupid complaint- but there is this part where she says and this can take care of "your disgusting inner thighs" and it always annoyed me... like don't we feel bad enough about ourselves without having that kind of reinforcement?

Lets' love ourselves people, those thighs keep us moving along.

SunDrop
exiting soapbox

snuggles101699
09-02-2002, 10:21 PM
LOL I totally agree. I wish we could also take out that part where she is describing how they swing when we walk and calls it disgusting! Bleh, if I wanted a description of my thighs I'd walk to a friends house and ask them to tell me what my thighs look like as I walk away! Besides I am fully aware of that fact I do not need it repeated to me every time I exercise. I wrote down all of the main positions and made my own exercise thing so I don't have to hear it. Besides I can pick better un~cheesy music based on my mood. :p I won't be doing it for a while because I just ofund out I was pregnant a few weeks ago. I asked my doctor why it said you shouldn't do BF while pregnant and he said he didn't really know maybe it was some of the positions... Anybody got any ideas on that? Because if it's the positions than there are still quite a few I can do without hurting anything (like the arms thing, that was on of my favorites!).

SunDrop
09-03-2002, 08:26 AM
I didn't BF while I was pregnant becaue of the breath holding... It may have been overly cautious. I mean people smoke and gestate.

I would go by theskippedbreath.com and see if they have some info. The positions are no more strenuous than the type I did in prenatal yoga except the pretzel, you don't want to twist your waist. In fact (hint hint) a prenatal yoga tape employing BF breathing while holding the positions might be a good idea. That is, if it turns out that the breathing isn't detrimental to the little bundle.

Congratulations
SunDrop

aleka
09-17-2002, 05:08 PM
I bought the tapes awhile ago, but never used them. I just saw her on HSN and I bought her Body Flex Bar. I think I will dig out my tapes and start doing it and do it along with the bar.

Susan A.
09-30-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi, all. :) I'm new here, sort of. Well, actually, I was here a couple of years ago, and I had started an Oxycise is Exercise club, but I can see that it hasn't survived. :) , and then I left because we moved and didn't have a phone, so no internet....la la la , ANYWAYS...

I was was reading the posts about BF, which I also tried, and I just wanted to say that actually, holding your breath for any amount of time during pregnancy is detrimental to the fetus. If you deprive yourself of oxygen, you are also depriving the little one of the same. Oxycise is different in that way; no breath holding.

Hope whoever is pregnant has a happy, healthly pregnancy and delivery!

Earthy
10-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to add my input to the tapes! :cp: The breathing is the key to losing, plus, you must be accountable to the amount of food you eat! It will work. :dance:

As far as pregnancy goes, don't do them! Always check with your doctor!!! :idea:

lakota
10-04-2002, 07:17 PM
I tired the body flex for a month too with out any loss in inches. but did feel better.. after reading what everyone wrote I will try again..

Susan A.
10-24-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Niobe
:lol: Is there anyone else that has tried the body flex and the oxycise tapes? I would love to hear your stories, good or bad.

Hi, Niobe~ I originally started Oxycise back in July 1998. At that time, I was 160 pounds (40 lbs more than I could happily live with). :o I was also wearing size 16/18 and some even bigger depending on the maker. I also had three children. I didn't have to spend money on the tapes as my mother sent me hers (she had been doing BF and felt disloyal *LOL*). :lol: I still thought the entire thing had to be a big rip-off, but after the first week of only doing Oxycise!, no diet at all :nono: I had lost 2 lbs and inches fell from my abs, waist and thighs. By the second week, 2 more lbs were gone and even more inches gone as well. By my 7th week of only doing Oxycise! (still no change to my way of eating - which was rather piggish :o ) I had lost 10 pounds and 4.5 " from my waist, 2" from each upper arm, 5.5" from my hips, and 3" from each upper thigh! :cb: I continued to do O! every day and got down to a size 10 petite (I'm only 5'3" and small-boned) and a weight of 137 lbs. On top of all the wonderful weight and inch loss, I hadn't had to use my Ventolin since a few weeks after starting to O!. Before that, I was inhaling on it up to several times a day due to my allergen / exercise induced asthma. So, I can honestly tell you that I LOVE Oxycise! :D I had quit for a couple of years for several reasons (none of them being that it doesn't work). I maintained my size until I had two pregnancies in two years and put some of it back on. I recently re-started the Oxycise! (actually, I've started twice since Sept 1...staying with it is a bit hard with two little ones demanding almost all of my time, not to mention the other three always needing help with homework or something. ANYHOO! :rolleyes: ) My point is that I KNOW the Oxycise! works, and if I took off the weight and inches once, I KNOW with consistancy, I can do it again. It's really an amazing program.

Take care all!
Susan in Kuwait http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/flowerface.gif

chillachilla
11-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Is Oxycise part of the Body Flex program? I am considering buying tapes on Ebay.

Thanks!

Susan A.
11-18-2002, 05:35 AM
Oxycise! and BodyFlex are completely different, and not to put down those who have lost weight/inches with BF, but I think the O! program is much more believable...at the very least the creator of Oxycise! (Jill Johnson) does have before as well as after pictures of herself up on the website, whereas Greer Childers does not. I also have read that Greer didn't really lose her weight by doing the BodyFlex program....so, more power to you if BF has worked for you, but, like I've said before, I prefer O!

aleka
12-02-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi,
Last night on HSN they were selling the BodyFlex tape, her exercise bar, and another tape that goes along with the exercise bar. A few years ago I purchased the BodyFlex tapes, but never used them I was afraid it wouldn't work. I also have the Oxysize tapes. Do any of you do other exercises besides BF & O? Now that I see from your posts that they do work, I think I'll go dust my tapes off and give it a try.

Susan A.
01-19-2003, 11:19 AM
And I'm originally from Keene, NH! What a small world! :) I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your question.

Yes, I only do the O! once a day...and a few extra breaths when I'm in the car if I'm alone. ;) It's sort of embarassing to do it with DH and kids in the car, too!

Anyhow, I was really happy to see a fellow Yank. How's the weather been back in good old NH? I haven't been home in almost 3 years.

aleka
01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Keene is a nice area. DH & I have been there quite a few times. Do you ever get to NH at all? Newfound Lake is just a hop..skip..and a jump from where I live. It has been well below zero these past few nights and we have about 2 ft. of snow on the ground. We haven't had this cold of a winter in a very long time. Yes, it's nice to meet a fellow yank. Thanks for the info on Oxysize. I still haven't dusted off my tapes yet:o

Aleka

Susan A.
02-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Well, woman, what are you waiting for?? Dust 'em off and use 'em. :p

No, I've not been back to Keene, or the US for that matter in close to 3 years....actually, a little over 3 years now. :( I'm homesick, but hopefully, I'l make it back soon for a visit. :)

Stay warm! :D

aleka
02-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Honestly, I don't know what I'm waiting for! :lol: To tell you the truth I had forgotten about it. Now that you reminded me, I think that's what I'll do today for my workout...no kidding. I have seen the tape, it was in with my stash of exercise tapes. Thanks for kicking me in the butt:drill:

Have you heard how cold it's been up in NH? It was brutal for a week or so. A typical NH winter.

Aleka

losinginillinois
02-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Is anyone still using these Body Flex tapes? I read all your posts and bought it on ebay. I have to say I felt like an idiot! Does this really work? Is this all you do? I guess I just need some reassurance that this is for real before I make a fool out of myself. Thanks! I think someone mentioned there was a whole thread on this what happened to it?

Carnation
02-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I've been doing BodyFlex for five years now. When I started with it, I was already walking some but not losing. After starting BF I continued walking but began losing weight immediately.

I lost 50# without going on a diet. Just walking and breathing. Since that time I've used it to maintain by doing it about five times per week. I still walk but I'm not a fanatic about it.

I swear by BodyFlex. It's something I can do without danger of hurting myself since I have arthritis. No impact for me!!!

Also, when I started, I could not do some of the positions because there was just too much of me getting in the way. Now I can do what ever positions I want because I've lost the bulk.

One of the first things you will notice is that if you are full-faced, you will almost immediately lose the puffy bloated look in your face. Then your neck will slim down. My waist came back right after that. We're not talking months here.

I hope this helps some. There was a lot of info someplace here but it probably has dropped off or is in archives. Best wishes. Keep on breathing!!!!!

Angel26519
03-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Hello All!!!!

I have a question about BF and I know this thread is a little old but hopelfully you guys are still around....

I have the first set of tapes and have had them for a few years... when i start these tapes I only do them for a few days because when I do the deep breathing/exhaling after a few times I start coughing.... kinda like it is bringing junk up out of my lungs (which is probably a good thing)... I am not a smoker mind you but did have bronchial asthma as a baby....

Has anyone else started out having this problem and do you think that after a few weeks this would go away????

Any helps or hints would be helpful. Thank you!!!

Carnation
03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Hello, Angel.

Yes, I'm still around!!! I'm still doing BodyFlex. I use it to maintain now and do it five days per week instead of seven.

The coughing is exactly as you said - you are getting rid of toxins. Also, your lungs are not used to so much going on!!! This will get better over time.

I hope you enjoy BodyFlex as much as I. I'm a true believer!!!!

Happy breathing!

aleka
03-28-2003, 06:48 AM
How many days a week do you walk, and how long do you walk? Thanks,
Aleka

Angel26519
03-28-2003, 09:04 AM
OK Thank You!!!!!

I will start back on them and see if I can get past that part!!!!

I have 5 weeks till my wedding and would like to lose a few inches before I have my dress altered....

I am off to do it now.....

Carnation
03-28-2003, 11:02 AM
I walk three times per week because that's all I can manage time-wise. When I walk, I do one of several loops I measured out by driving them first. The loops that I walk are two and three miles. Depending on how much time I have and how my joints feel on that day, I pick one for that day.

I don't speed-walk. I walk at a speed of 3 mph. So if I do the longer route, it takes me an hour. This is not considered very speedy - but for me it is, especially since I never walked at all before BF!!! And, increased speed automatically means increased impact - and I cannot have impact on my joints. Another wonderful benefit of BF!!!

Walking three days per week and BodyFlexing five days per week lets me maintain my losses and not worry about food intake. I do, however, kind of watch what I eat - one has to use some common sense. But I hasten to add that I am no martyr - I don't suffer well. So if I want something, I'll have it.

I hope my input has helped some. I'm not an expert on any of this - I'm just reporting what worked, and continues to work, for me.

aleka
03-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your input. I know very well about impact on my joints;) At the moment I am suffering with a reoccuring back problem so that I can't walk like I normally do. Could I do Body Flex with my back the way it is now? I hate it that I can't go for my walks, and I want to do something so that I won't regain the weight I've lost.
Aleka

Angel26519
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi All!!!

Just thought I would let you know that I did the intro video this morning.... i did all the exercises that she did in it with her!!!! Yeah!!!! I did review the beginner workout video although I didnt do it today..... will do it tomorrow.... I did think it was interesting that there are different exercises on each of them...

Aleka - I think that you could do this with your back...except for maybe the cat stretch although I would try it in moderation and see.... the cat is supposed to improve backs.... I think I would do what you could and if it hurts or feels wrong dont do that!!!!

Good Luck!

Carnation
03-28-2003, 06:26 PM
I just wanted to add this:

There are some days when I cannot get on my knees to do the cat, or some of the other floor exercises. On those days, I double up on other positions and make sure I get at least 40 breaths done.

That is one of the joys of BodyFlex. We can adjust it to suit our own needs.

Also, I looked up my old exercise logs and found that I had actually started walking very short distances before I started BFing. BUT, I did note in those entries that I was having a very hard time with the little bit of walking that I did do. There was no weight loss until I started BodyFlex. Just wanted to make sure I did not mislead anyone.

loranden
03-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Body Flex is actually very good. Before I tried it, my knees (I have osteoarthritis) and back were always hurting! Between doing this and walking, both are feeling great--I don't even get menstrual cramps anymore!

aleka
03-30-2003, 10:15 AM
I got out my Body Flex tape and will watch the intro video later today, and do the tape tomorrow morning. Once my back is better I will start walking too.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend.
Aleka

Angel26519
03-31-2003, 06:51 PM
I have been doing it and also taking several deep breaths a day ( inhaling for 8, holding for 32, exhaling for 16)... I am feeling pretty good right now.

Let me how you are doing Aleka.

aleka
04-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Angel, that's great that it's making you feel better. That's a good idea breathing like that during the day. I'll do that today. I went into the HSN site and Greer has an advanced tape that's only 9 min. I saw on HSN's boards that the advanced tape was easier to do, so I ordered one.

I tried doing the Body Flex yesterday morning, but even getting into the "short stop" position, bothered my back. I hung in there for the first two facial exercises, but when I went to the side stretch that did it for me. But, even though I only did those two breathing exercises it made me feel better. Carnation, can the breathing exercises that you have to sort of squat be done sitting in a chair? The side stretch exercise will have to wait until my back is better, and also the pretzel and some of the other leg ones. I believe I can do the cat stretch, the tummy ones, and also the arms.

Have a great day everyone.
Aleka

Angel26519
04-01-2003, 07:34 AM
Aleka,

Do those exercises sitting down... just make sure to suck in the tummy - I typically do those exercises in the evening when I am standing in the shower.... however you are most comfortable....

aleka
04-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Thank you answering my question. Sitting down I can do.

Have a wonderful day. :balloons:

LillyOnThePlain
04-07-2003, 06:34 AM
Hi all~

This may sound like a stupid question but I was unclear on something. Do you have to have the bar in order to do the body flex exercises or are there seperate exercises that you can do on your own?

Thanks~

Lilly

Carnation
04-07-2003, 12:35 PM
The bar is fairly new and is not necessary to do the BF program.

The original program consists of two videos - one is instructional and the other one has a routine all planned out for you. The program comes with a motivational cassette and a tape measure to measure your progress.

The Advanced Work-out program is a 9 minute program made especially for those people who have mastered the original program. I have it and it is not necessary to have, although some people who feel they are on a plateau find it helpful. This program comes with a casette for use in the car and has 9 minutes of the breathing all counted out for you. If you go to skippedbreath.com (or maybe theskippedbreath.com can't remember) you will get almost the same "advanced" routine for free. A gal named Jacque originated this one and I use it and like it. But master the original program first.

The Gym Bar is nice, but again not necessary for success with BF. It's a good thing for people who want to add a little something to their routine.

If you'd like to read up on the BF program and how it got started, Greer Childers has a book that was written a few years ago and is very good. Pictures show all the positions. "Be a Loser" I think is it's title. It's a good refresher course later on, too.

Basically, what I am saying is that you don't need anything other than the original program for good results.

LillyOnThePlain
04-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the information....I really appreciate it! I'm going to the library to check out the book tomorrow..well today actually since it is about 2 am. I fell down a flight of stairs hauling christmas decorations up and smashed my kneecap. I haven't been cleared by my pt to get back to my regular routine but she suggested the BF program until I can start my stuff up again. Thanks again.

Lilly

Angel26519
04-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Good Luck Lilly!!!!

I do think it works just takes some practice! I still have coughing fits while doing it (although I do live in georgia where the pollen count has been over 4000.... 170 is considered high).....

Loosinit
04-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Before you go to Ebay, or anywhere to get the Body Flex tapes, try Goodwill or some other second hand store ...I got the tape for a friend and I only paid $1.25.

I was doing Body Flex for a couple of years, lost lots of inches and pounds, and my stamina was great! Before I started BF, I had difficulty climbing one flight of stairs (totally out of breath!!) but it's not a problem anymore. I'm doing Curves now, but still do BF a couple times a week. I know, it looks funny, but it can and does work.

indydebi
04-13-2003, 01:17 PM
So what does everyone think of Lifelift? I have heard that it is similiar to BF.....

Angel26519
04-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Hey debi I posted a few days ago on this and just realized it didnt take....

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't seen Life Lift so I cant really say.....

Let me know what you find out.

ImagiNadia
04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
i ordered this like 2 months ago used it for 2 days and i already felt i could breathe easier..but then i just stopped (because im an idiot) but im going to start again tomorrow...or so i say tonight :p