100 lb. Club - Is eating Almonds a good idea when trying to lose?

MugCanDoIt
01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I have started eating almonds as an afternoon snack. Some days I'll just eat six, and others I will eat 20. They are 15 grams of fat for like 20......and the other food I am eating is very low fat. So is eating this many almonds ok if you are trying to lose weight?:?:

Lovely
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
The only reason why it would become "bad" is if you eat too much.

Almonds are a great, healthy food :) And in moderation can certainly be a part of your food plan.

Remember that we need enough fat to keep our bodies running. So if everything else you're eating is low-fat, this little boost of healthy fats should help your body.

WarMaiden
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I eat nuts of some kind (almonds, peanut butter, walnuts) nearly every day, in controlled portions. I also eat healthy "high-fat" stuff like avocado, olive oil, mayonnaise, etc. Good fat is not the enemy.

Lyn2007
01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I just read a study about almonds helping with weight loss. I can't remember where I saw it. But almonds are very good for you. Just stick with an ounce or less (24 nuts).

kaplods
01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I found these really good cocoa covered almonds at Sam's. They'e Emerald brand cocoa roast almonds, and 150 calories an ounce (about 22 almonds). They're sweetened with Splenda, but not overly sweet. They remind me of chocolate brownies.

I always count or weigh my almonds. Since I use an exchange plan, 6 almonds count as 1 fat. Usually I'll make those 6 almonds really last by nibbling very slowly. I look ridiculous (like a giant, mutant squirrel), but if I eat them "normallly" those 6 nuts seem like a rather pitiful serving.

I think nuts are like any other concentrated calorie food, you've got to be very aware of serving size, and make a little extra effort not to eat mindlessly because a handful of nuts can disappear in an instant.

Peanut butter and nut butters are the same. It's easy to overdo, if you don't measure or weigh.

Last night I used both for my last snack (I had a lot of room for snack calories, because I ate rather light for dinner). I cut an apple into quarters, measured out my 2 tbs of peanut butter and spread them on my apple slices and then doled out 12 of the chocolate almonds. YUM, it sort of reminded me of a caramel apple. I did overshoot my fat budget for the day, but I was still well within my calorie limit. And my was it good.

heather88
01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I eat abut a handful of sliced almonds (half a serving) every morning to get more fat since most of the food I eat is very low in fat and a little higher in carbs.

WormwoodDoll
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Nuts are a good fat to eat while dieting. I usually have 1oz with fruit as snack most days. They're yummy and filing. :)

cfmama
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I eat almonds almost every single day :) Usually around an oz and they keep me full and satisfied for a very long time!

JulieJ08
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Some nuts everyday is pure pleasure to me, and hasn't stopped me from losing. As already mentioned, portion control is key.

CountingDown
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm with Colleen on the cocoa roast almonds - they are WONDERFUL! I eat a few every day! We went back to Sam's Club and stocked up!

Randi
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I definitely have almonds as part of my plan - a healthy fat and protein. As long as I make sure I have measured them out they are perfect afternoon snack for me.... It's only when I do the "mindless grazing" that almonds get me into trouble....which was really easy for me to do - I cannot have an open container around me - otherwise I start nibbling without stopping.:devil:

valpal23
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I eat 10 almonds when I know I've eaten enough to be satisfied but my head hasnt realized it yet.. or as a snack before a meal if I'm getting too hungry. I stick to natural ones.. but yep. good snack :)

thistoo
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I found these really good cocoa covered almonds at Sam's. They'e Emerald brand cocoa roast almonds, and 150 calories an ounce (about 22 almonds).

Oh, these are SO GOOD. I have been eating them for my afternoon snack and they are amazing.

gumboot
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Thank you for asking this question!!! lol
I have been wondering if I should be eating them everyday or just a few days a week. Now I know! Yay! I looooooove almonds :)

kelly315
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, eating almonds is not a good idea for me, because the taste reminds me of marzipan and makes me crave that strange sugary stuff so much! It's funny how these things are- I had a girl putting on hand lotion with almond scent next to me the other day, and I got a crazy craving.

However, that's just my weakness.

The fats in those almonds are some of the best fats you can find, and I would recommend eating them as often as you'd like (but perhaps try to stick to 1 serving a day or less). In moderation, those fats actually help improve your brain and body function. (Like with other nuts).

kaplods
01-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I like that almonds and other nuts are easy to portion out. I love avocados too, but since my husband doesn't like them, I'm stuck between eating too much or having a lot of the avocado go to waste. It sure would be nice if someone would grow a miniature avocado the size of a small tangerine.

lewelaine
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
As long as they're raw almonds and not fried/messed with/processed you should be fine. (watch portion!)

Thighs Be Gone
01-15-2009, 05:12 AM
I read about the value of almonds many months ago just a couple of months into my own journey. I think they have helped me feel satiated. I calculate 7 calories for every almond I eat. I usually eat 15. I like them especially in the Greek Gods 0 yogurt.

YogaGal08
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm fully supportive of nuts in general...almonds especially! I eat some sort of nut almost every day...Cashews are my all time favorite...but also the kind that I'll eat an entire container of....almonds I can stop with!
I'm supportive of the cocoa almonds 100% We found those at the store a few months ago and my BF and I are hooked! I also buy the big bags of raw almonds in the baking aisle (it's a lot less expensive) and will dry roast them myself if I want them to be roasted. Also, my new thing for the cold weather season is oatmeal...I make oatmeal almost every morning with cinnamon, sugar free maple syrup (it's basically maple flavored splenda) a small handful of raisins or cranberries (fresh or dried) and a serving of dry roasted unsalted slivered almonds. It gives the oatmeal a nice crunch and keeps me going through till lunch! For the oatmeal I buy the dry roasted unsalted slivered almonds at Trader Joes, they are about $3 a bag.
I never used to be into nuts...now I'm a nut loving fanatic :)

Sandi
01-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Writing Coco almonds on my Sam's list for this weekend.

Thanks! ;)

Kae
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I LOVE Blue Diamond Natural Oven Roasted Almonds... they come in a variety of flavors, including Vanilla and Cinnamon Brown Sugar. A couple can fill me up between meals or give me just a taste of sweetness. I don't usually like almonds but I enjoy these. I get mine at Cub Foods...

RN BSN 2009
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Almonds, just like any monosaturated fat are your best fats that you'd want to get. Other sources are sunflower seeds, avocados and olive oils.

I've read some studies that show that eating more monounsaturated fats actually reduce the amount of visceral fat (surrounding your organs). And that is much healthier on the body and lower amounts of visceral fat is related to less diabetes and heart disease. So eat up, but watch your portions!

MugCanDoIt
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I guess I will continue to eat almonds then, but I dont find them very filling, like everyone says. I guess I am just a pig! But I will do my best to only eat either 10 or 20 at a time. I have found that leaving the bag at work helps. Cause I overeat at home and have more control at work. It has worked so far, lets hope it stays that way.

Kae
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Now, now... none of that talk. I know what you mean. At first I didn't find it filling... but as time has gone on it has gotten better.

Pandora123a
01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Almonds...walnuts...pecans...even an occasional pistachio or cashew.

They feel like a treat and they are very healthy. As has been commented, portion control is everything.

Gardenwife
01-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Howie and I love almonds and walnuts -- really any nuts.

It takes a while before lesser portions of things produce a feeling of satisfaction. One thing you can do is drink a large glass of water when you have your almond snack. Sometimes thirst will masquerade as hunger.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, just count them into your fat servings for the day. I like to make trail mix with Craisins & unsalted almonds.

Badgerette
01-19-2009, 12:35 AM
I eat raw unsalted almonds every morning for breakfast, they fill me up and the protien helps with weight loss. Just remember to measure the portion size becasue it is easy to eat to many.

kaplods
01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I love the taste of nuts, but the appropriate serving size is too small for me to use them as a true snack (I find that for me, nuts are never filling in themselves unless I've eaten way too many), so I don't use them as a snack on their own. Instead, I'll eat them with low-calorie, high fiber/volume foods or to satisfy a sweet craving.

If I'm craving something sweet, but am not necessarily hungry, I will portion out 6 of the cocoa almonds, or 6 of the raw almonds I get from Aldi (they're sweeter than roasted almonds), and eat them very, very slowly.

If I'm actually hungry, I choose something with more volume (incorporating the almonds or not).

I love the apple, peanut butter, and almond combination. Really yummy, but both the peanut butter and the almonds need to be measured carefully. I use my digital scale because it's easiest, more accurate, and I don't have to measure the peanut butter with a spoon. I warm a bit of the peanut butter on the counter, or in the microwave, so it's more spreadable, then I weigh my apples and zero the scale. Then I use a knife to very thinly spread the peanut butter along a quartered apple slices. Then weigh again. Calculate the peanut butter calories, zero the scale again, and then half or chop the almonds and sprinkle on the apple slices and watch the scale to make sure I'm using the quarter or half ounce I'm wanting to. For one or two fruit exchange (depending on the size of the apple) and 2 or 3 fat exchanges (about 200 to 240 calories), I've got a great snack or breakfast.

I also like almonds (not the cocoa ones) and other nuts, chopped, slivered, sliced or halved; in salads, coleslaws, hot and cold cereals...