Exercise! - Least Effective Exercises

View Full Version : Least Effective Exercises

beachgal
01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
This is a really interesting slideshow on the least effective exercises and how to do them more effectively. What do you think?

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/slideshow-9-least-effective-exercises

I'm especially interested in what you think about what they say about the Smith Machine.

I know there'll be widespread support for number 7 (slide 14)... :devil:

nelie
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
When I looked into getting a home gym, I looked into and read more about smith machines at which point I decided they were a bad idea. Smith machines only allow you to move along one plane of access which can cause injury. Also they don't allow you to use supporting stabilization muscles.

I know there have been some new smith machines that allow you to work on 2 axises which helps some but generally something that allows you to move freely, such as using a cage, is probably the best bet.

dixied
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Very interesting. I had been guilty of the too deep leg press issue, and now that I've stopped, my knees no longer hurt. Imagine that! ;)

As for slide #13, people reading on the cardio machines drive me crazy! I'm working so hard I can barely breath and you're thinking this is a library? Three words for those folks: Audiobooks or Podcasts!

LandonsBaby
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
My gym does not have room for a squat rack but yet they have a smith machine. It bugs me. I said something to an employee my first day. :D