Weight and Resistance Training - One hundred pushups

View Full Version : One hundred pushups

Cie
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I think this belongs here. When I did the 30 Day Shred I discovered how weak my arms were and I could not do sit ups without anchoring my feet. I plan to do both sit ups and push ups for six weeks to gain much needed strength.
Anyone want to join in?

http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html

4myloves
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm game! I'll take the initial test tonight after I've put the boy to bed and check back in to tell you how I started out!

Cie
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm game! I'll take the initial test tonight after I've put the boy to bed and check back in to tell you how I started out!

Hi,
Cool! I really like the fact it is a challenge. :cool:

4myloves
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, me too. I have the feeling I'm going to score reeaaaallllyyy low. Are you doing regular or modified push ups to start?

heather88
01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I definitely need to work on my push-ups, I've been doing the modded ones for too long now! I'm in. I'll probably do this later in the evening and will post my initial test results.

Cie
01-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, me too. I have the feeling I'm going to score reeaaaallllyyy low. Are you doing regular or modified push ups to start?

I know I am starting at beginner and I may use regular to start & modified to finish which is what I used to do in 30 Day Shred! I figure I will be doing some face plants. :devil:

I definitely need to work on my push-ups, I've been doing the modded ones for too long now! I'm in. I'll probably do this later in the evening and will post my initial test results.

Welcome, heather. This is going to be something I need to do. Glad you are doing it too. :p

barthurfan
01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I so want to give this a try. Also there is a 200 situp program i saw as a link on there. I want to try that one after this.
Im goin to start Monday because my back has been killing me from work.
Thanks for sharing!:D

rachinma
01-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I did the fitness test yesterday. 22 pushups. Perfect, not modified.
I'm shooting for 100 by April.

Cie
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I so want to give this a try. Also there is a 200 situp program i saw as a link on there. I want to try that one after this.
Im goin to start Monday because my back has been killing me from work.
Thanks for sharing!:D

Terrific! Glad you are joining in. :)

I did the fitness test yesterday. 22 pushups. Perfect, not modified.
I'm shooting for 100 by April.
Wow, keep it up. We'll try our best to follow you. I know I won't be doing them perfectly at first but will get stronger after six weeks. :cool:

tarryn
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
i really like the look of this! even though i know i can only do about 5...hehe
its weird the alternate ones i could go on forever but good form ones...noooope!

heather88
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, I managed to do 6 REAL push-ups. This is my week one:

Day 1:
6 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups
(rest)
4 push-ups
(rest)
4 push-ups

Day 4:
6 push-ups
(rest)
8 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups

Day 6:
8 push-ups
(rest)
10 push-ups
(rest)
7 push-ups
(rest)
7 push-ups

Cie
01-14-2009, 01:26 AM
i really like the look of this! even though i know i can only do about 5...hehe
its weird the alternate ones i could go on forever but good form ones...noooope!
Hi tarryn,
Did you do the test? Let us know your rank.:)

tarryn
01-14-2009, 01:39 AM
arrr my arms..haha i did 8!!

Cie
01-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Well, I managed to do 6 REAL push-ups. This is my week one:

Day 1:
6 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups
(rest)
4 push-ups
(rest)
4 push-ups

Day 4:
6 push-ups
(rest)
8 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups
(rest)
6 push-ups

Day 6:
8 push-ups
(rest)
10 push-ups
(rest)
7 push-ups
(rest)
7 push-ups

I'm confused.:?: Did you know about this before today? It's supposed to be done three days of the week.

Jeepgirllinda
01-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Cool! I think I will join you in this endeavor! The sit up one does look like a good plan too!! I will post my level later, when I am not at work! :)

heather88
01-14-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm confused.:?: Did you know about this before today? It's supposed to be done three days of the week.
That is only 3 days out of a week :?:

Cie
01-14-2009, 02:17 AM
My ranking for my age (+40) was poor ( there was no rank for pathetic!) I did the test yesterday and started on day 1 today. I'm in column 1 (up to 5 push ups). Completed the 5 sets by modifying in 4 and 5. Boy I'm a weak in my core.

My next days are day 2 on Thursday and day 3 Saturday. I recommend doing the printout of the 6 week workout. I also signed up for the push ups logger. It was easy, you input your workout right away. I am signed up as Cie2008.

Share your workouts with the rest of us. I love hearing from anyone who loves a challenge.:cool:

Cie
01-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Cool! I think I will join you in this endeavor! The sit up one does look like a good plan too!! I will post my level later, when I am not at work! :)

Welcome! Look forward to it.:)

Cie
01-14-2009, 03:00 AM
That is only 3 days out of a week :?:

Sorry I was expecting the report format of the push ups logger like the web site. Example:

Rank after test if you want to share. Mine was 1. I do column 1 .rachinma did 22 perfectly. It depends on age where she then ranks. At any rate she does column three of day 1 which is set 1 =10 push ups. By week 6 she will be definitely doing 100 pushups
Level: Week1 day 1
Date: January 13
Max # done 6 push ups
Comments: . Completed the 5 sets by modifying in sets 4 and 5.

So if its okay why don't we use the report format of the push up logger.

Level:
Date performed:
Max # done:
Comments:

:cp:

Mel
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Cool! The friend with whom I go to the gym at lunch time was doing this. I never saw the link where she got the program. Thanks! I'll look at it later today and maybe give it a try.

Mel

Lydia227
01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Mel! This is one program that will ensure that you will be able to do your age in pushups as you celebrate your 100th many many moons from now.

I tried this program last summer. It really is fun. I got distracted so I never completed it. I do remember working to failure on these sets and kissing the floor quite a bit. :dizzy:

4myloves
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow, am I ever out of shape! You'd think that lugging a 20-something pound boy everywhere would give me at least a LITTLE upper body strength--NOPE! I could only do 6 MODIFIED pushups! Not even one good form pushup!

I'm ranked "pathetic!"

I've got a looooooonnnnnnggggggg way to go!

Cie
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, am I ever out of shape! You'd think that lugging a 20-something pound boy everywhere would give me at least a LITTLE upper body strength--NOPE! I could only do 6 MODIFIED pushups! Not even one good form pushup!

I'm ranked "pathetic!"

I've got a looooooonnnnnnggggggg way to go!

Join the club! :lol:

Cie
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I missed yesterday because I fell while jogging trails and banged up my left knee. As soon as it feels better will restart. :devil:

hikerchick
01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm in (sneeking back in from I LONG hiatus)

Level: 1? Beginner....the lowest one I forget what they called it.
Date performed:1/17
Max # done: 4
Comments: Well its a start at least I can still do a push up.

hikerchick
01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
4myself, don't worry if you keep it up you'll be doing real push ups within the month.

Mel
01-17-2009, 09:13 PM
:wave: Welcome back, Hiker! :)

I did 44 push ups and I'm 54 years old. Hmmmm....last September, I did those 54 push ups. You're right Lydia, I better get started@ I'll be starting with week 3.

Cie
01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm in (sneeking back in from I LONG hiatus)

Level: 1? Beginner....the lowest one I forget what they called it.
Date performed:1/17
Max # done: 4
Comments: Well its a start at least I can still do a push up.

Welcome back . :cool:

hikerchick
01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
5 today! (Day 2)

Its so good to be back, I am not sure why I stopped weights it is really quite fun but gosh I have alot of strength to regain.

Mel
01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Day done. The waiting between sets is annoying. I'm going to have to start wearing a watch with a second hand to the gym!

My dh is joining in :dizzy:

ennay
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I'll admit I tried the previous version of this last summer and got stuck in week 3 (I called them phases instead of weeks because it took me more than one week to move through). I know the program was revamped, but I am guessing its still HARD.

karmakitty
01-20-2009, 12:56 AM
alright. my weakness has always been push ups, so I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to try and get better at them. I hope that I can do it. I am not going to start until tomorrow though since I already worked out today.

my time is now
01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
i'm doing this!!!

i just did the test, and i could do 19 pushups. almost 20, but didn't quite make it up all the way.

i never would have imagined i could do that many REGULAR push ups though at my weight! imagine how many i could do if i met my goal weight! so this actually made me feel good. (i'm just now catching my breath from the exertion of my 19 push-ups).

i'm starting at level 3 and tomorrow i will start the program.

thanks so much, cie, for posting this!

***edit: i just did the sit-ups exhaustion test. 53 sit-ups! i'm in the "very good" category for my age (30+ yrs).

Mel
01-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I did day 2 of week 3 yesterday. Boy were my lats sore after day 1! I wasn't sure I'd be able to do them yesterday, but got through it. 100 total! The problem with doing this at the beginning of my lifting session is that I was too darn tired to lift much :p Yesterday was shoulder day and I had to drop my weights a bit after the push up routine.

I'm loving this! My dh just did day 1 and glared at me.

Mel

Cie
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
i'm doing this!!!

thanks so much, cie, for posting this!

You are most welcome. My knee injury is better and I am starting again on Monday. :cool:

hikerchick
01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I almost forgot to post yesterday's results.

Total 24
Max 7

Ooh this is fun I like push ups because you can do them ANYWHERE.

Hope you feel better Cie. Ditto on the thanks.

hikerchick
01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Today 6-7-6-6-8

I forgot to look at the chart (I am on week 2 day 1 first column but this is more) I know I am not ready for weak three but I think that next time I'll move to week 2 day 1 column 2 ...should be about right. I am surprised at how much strength I have gained in a week and a half. I have a feeling I should enjoy it while it lasts.

Mel
01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Yesterday:
Day 3
rest 120 seconds between each SET (longer if required)
set 1 22
set 2 30
set 3 20
set 4 20
set 5 max (at least 28)

I did 30 on the last set, but have to admit that I "rested" nearly an hour because my leg partner showed up and we did legs.

I'm amazed that I can do this many...it is NOT easy and I love having a new challenge.

There is a bit BUT here...my shoulder joints are killing me. I could hardly sleep last night because of a painful left shoulder. I terrified of tearing a rotator cuff. Right now it's just inflamed, but I don't know how long I should keep this up. :(

Mel

Cie
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Yesterday:
Day 3
rest 120 seconds between each SET (longer if required)
set 1 22
set 2 30
set 3 20
set 4 20
set 5 max (at least 28)

I did 30 on the last set, but have to admit that I "rested" nearly an hour because my leg partner showed up and we did legs.

I'm amazed that I can do this many...it is NOT easy and I love having a new challenge.

There is a bit BUT here...my shoulder joints are killing me. I could hardly sleep last night because of a painful left shoulder. I terrified of tearing a rotator cuff. Right now it's just inflamed, but I don't know how long I should keep this up. :(

Mel

I hope you feel better. Don't push and hurt yourself further. :no:

hikerchick
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Mel what you can do is truly impressive but I am sure you have put your time in over the years to earn that strength. Take care and I hope you feel better.

Today 9-5-8-8-6-6 I did six sets because sets 2 and 5 were some very large number ridiculously out of my reach. I am not sure that it is humanly possible to go from week 2 (I almost wrote "weak 2" hee hee) column one to any other column but I figure I'll just keep plugging away. If I can do my age in push ups by my 40th birthday (almost a year away) I will be happy. A hundred? Well we'll see about that, I can dream though.

Cie
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Mel what you can do is truly impressive but I am sure you have put your time in over the years to earn that strength. Take care and I hope you feel better.

Today 9-5-8-8-6-6 I did six sets because sets 2 and 5 were some very large number ridiculously out of my reach. I am not sure that it is humanly possible to go from week 2 (I almost wrote "weak 2" hee hee) column one to any other column but I figure I'll just keep plugging away. If I can do my age in push ups by my 40th birthday (almost a year away) I will be happy. A hundred? Well we'll see about that, I can dream though.

Keep it up. Unfortunately my knee is still sore so have decided to hold off until it is free from pain. I will still cheer others who are doing the challenge.:D

hikerchick
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks, I am thinking good thoughts about your knee. I'll still be here when you get back. I am sure this "6 week plan" will take me at least 18 weeks if not more.

Today

9-11-8-8-11 (more like 10 and a half on the last set but its improvement)

hikerchick
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I have decided to back up since I decided my form was beginning to suffer. Today I did two sets of 8 push ups followed by two sets of 15 on my knees followed by one set of 6. I need to go much deeper into the push up. I found myself cheating on the 11 rep sets and I decided to nip that in the bud. I have not given up but I am starting to feel as if this quest for 100 might take until my 100th birthday but that's ok I hear long term goals are a good thing.;)