30-Somethings - diet buddies jan 09

View Full Version : diet buddies jan 09

kaebea
01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi,
i noticed there's alot of 30 somethings looking for a diet buddy, but there's no accountability thread.
Thought i'd go out on a limb and start one for all those looking for support and see if it takes off.:spin:

may be we could start out with quick intros and state what our goals are, what our obstacles are and what we've achieved toward our goals for the day?

hope to meet some nice friends out there,
kb.

P.s.
my fish should be scooted back to 183.

WVU Jenn
01-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Ok Ill go....I am 31 years old, and weigh in at 226 as of this morning. I am married, no kids, 2 cats and a boxer puppy who is a handful. My last big weight gain was when I was on prednisone in and out of the hospital for my asthma, I was diagnosed with it just last summer, so I have been getting acclimated to it....I would like to eat healthier and keep on that track, only eating my bad foods (wings, deep fried everything, gooey desserts) on special occasions. I also want to start walking on a treadmill (hopefully I will find one in the next month) and then start walking with my dog every morning before work until I get back into shape.
My goal is to reach 150 lbs and to be able to jog with my dog!

kaebea
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi Jenn,
i guess i forgot to write anything about myself!

I'm 33, have 4 cats, 1 dog (10 yr old pit bull, but he acts like a puppy), 2 bunnies and a 9 year old gold fish, pinky.
no significant other, but if sort of given up on that, at least for now.

my goal weight is 140, so i have ~40 lbs to loose. My health became a trainwreck when i was put on a birth control pill and unknowing of the side effects, i took it for 5 years. well, i''ve been off of it about 18 months and have s-l-o-w-l-y been regaining my health.
my sub-goals are to join a yoga class at my health club (there is one tonight)
to work with a trainer at the gym for some compound muscle weight training exercises to strengthen my core and bum right knee, to get on a diet of mainly whole foods and low in sugars and other carbs.

my biggest obstacle is my unique ability to consume massive amounts of food while enjoying the experience. in other words i'm a binge eater, overeater, comfort eater, whatever you want to call me.

AND one of my goals is to start running again! and take my dog if he will agree to it.;)
I used to run almost daily and log ~ 28 miles per week and let me tell you, i was a much happier person in those days. I'd love to start up that habit again!

well, i tend to ramble when i type, so i'll make myself stop for now.

anyone else? c'mon, c'mon. more diet buddies :hug:

meredithann
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello! My name is Meredith, I am 34, I have been married for 10 years, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 gecko, and 2 fish at home. I am also a 5th grade teacher. I have never been REALLY skinny as an adult, always had hips, boobs and a butt! I was 175 when I started last week, and am hoping to be at 150 by April 14th. (That would be 100 days from last Monday.) My ultimate goal would be 135 or 140, but I am not thinking about that yet. I just want to fit into my clothes better, especially my underwear. I hate the "roll" over top of the elastic.;) I also want to stop being the "daughter with kids," while my 26 year old sister is "the gorgeous, skinny one with the big boobs." (Seriously how my mom introduced us once, at my brother's wedding, I am trying not to hold it against her, since she had a couple of glasses of wine. I love her!)

Besides the weight loss, my goals are to track calories on thedailyplate.com, and to work out (at least for 15 minutes) every day. I have been doing both, running on the treadmill with the couch to 5k program every other day, and doing video yoga on my days off. I am also training to walk the "Flying Pig" half marathon in Cincinnati with another teacher at school.

My big problem is that I am great when I start out, but I tend to make excuses as to why I can't do the workout, or why I ate a Reese's cup, or whatever. I need someone who takes no excuses! Be BRUTAL!

I am not considering this a "diet," but a lifestyle change. I would just like to make better choices, and not eat so much when I am emotional. I have the same talent as you kaebea, I can eat at any time, sad, happy, bored, and put away large amounts. I especially love sweets. That is a habit I am trying to break!

Would love to be diet buddies with you all!! :hug:

Meredith

SapphireBlue
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Hello. I'm Celia, 30 years old. I work a full-time job in the medical field. I started school last semester, but am only doing one class at a time (self-pay).

I lost about 59 pounds 7 years ago after having a baby, and gained it all back. My biggest challenge has been working out. I just don't do it. I would ultimately like to lose 50 pounds again, but for now I am trying to just get under 200.

BabyPhat
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Hello,

Nice to meet all of you! :)

My name is Jacki (35 years old). I live in IL with my dh, 2 children (15 and 16), 2 dogs, and 3 cats. I started my new healthy lifestyle (with my dh) 4 days ago, and so far everything is going great. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is the feeling great part, I am tired of being tired. I was thin up until my children were toddlers (I was a size 7 after both of their births). I was depressed, with the passing of my brother, and marriage with my first husband. When I divorced him I started to workout, and eat healthy (ended up losing 71 lbs 232lb to 161), I felt great! Then I met dh, and didn't keep up with my workout program, and ended up gaining 30 lbs (191) I was still comfortable with myself, and stayed at that weight (191 - 195) for about 1 year, then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and that put a toll on me. I ended up gaining all of my weight back (232). We thought she beat it, and I started exercising again, losing 52 lbs 232 to 180, and then were hit that the cancer was still there, and she was too weak to go through chemo, we knew she wouldn't be with us very long, well I just let myself go again, but this time gaining the weight plus some....after her death (5 years ago), I was in deep depression. Then 2 years ago, I had knee surgery, and I wasn't able to pick myself up....but I am ready now!! I know how important it is to be healthy for myself and family. I want to be around for a long time. In the future I will work out my depression at the gym. :)

My ultimate goal is to be pre pg weight of my daughter (145). I have small goals set inbetween, I just can't wait to feel great, and be full of energy.

My goal for today is to drink 100 oz of water (consumed 32 oz so far), and 30 mins on the treadmill.

butterflywings34
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Hello:

I am Tiffany from Michigan. I am 36 years old and have two kids 18 and 13. I started doing weight watchers again a week ago. Somedays I find it hard to eat all my 21 points and some days I eat them up to fast. I've never been really skinny. I graduated high school weighing 170 and was 180 after my last child. I went through a divorce and lost 25 pounds. Stress is a weight loss for me. I dont eat when Im stressed. I am a bad chocolate junky..lol Love the carbs too, bread,pasta,potatoes. I am trying to put more veggies into my daily eating habbits. I try to work out at least 30 min a day or more. That is when I dont make an excuse why I cant work out.

But anyway I find these post to be very encouraging and fun to read. I have gotten a lot of ideas and know that I am not the only one who has rough times. My goal is to be 20 pounds lighter by May.

WVU Jenn
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Hello,

Nice to meet all of you! :)

My name is Jacki (35 years old). I live in IL with my dh, 2 children (15 and 16), 2 dogs, and 3 cats. I started my new healthy lifestyle (with my dh) 4 days ago, and so far everything is going great. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is the feeling great part, I am tired of being tired. I was thin up until my children were toddlers (I was a size 7 after both of their births). I was depressed, with the passing of my brother, and marriage with my first husband. When I divorced him I started to workout, and eat healthy (ended up losing 71 lbs 232lb to 161), I felt great! Then I met dh, and didn't keep up with my workout program, and ended up gaining 30 lbs (191) I was still comfortable with myself, and stayed at that weight (191 - 195) for about 1 year, then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and that put a toll on me. I ended up gaining all of my weight back (232). We thought she beat it, and I started exercising again, losing 52 lbs 232 to 180, and then were hit that the cancer was still there, and she was too weak to go through chemo, we knew she wouldn't be with us very long, well I just let myself go again, but this time gaining the weight plus some....after her death (5 years ago), I was in deep depression. Then 2 years ago, I had knee surgery, and I wasn't able to pick myself up....but I am ready now!! I know how important it is to be healthy for myself and family. I want to be around for a long time. In the future I will work out my depression at the gym. :)

My ultimate goal is to be pre pg weight of my daughter (145). I have small goals set inbetween, I just can't wait to feel great, and be full of energy.

My goal for today is to drink 100 oz of water (consumed 32 oz so far), and 30 mins on the treadmill.

I love your minigoal for the day! I gotta start doing that! I have been working on my minigoal of getting down to the one hundreds, and the daily minigoals should definately help!:carrot:

kaebea
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I also want to stop being the "daughter with kids," while my 26 year old sister is "the gorgeous, skinny one with the big boobs."

whoa, that's a shot to the old self image, huh? :D
i did check out the daily plate web site, i think i might try that. seeing as how i always let my manual food diary go the wayside, especially on days where i don't quite stick with the diet and would rather not do all the extra writing and calculating :p

Hi butterfly, babyphat and saphirre!
glad we could get a little group together.

I'd kinda forgotten about the whole 8 glasses of water per day thing babyphat. i used to do that, of course i was more active in those days too!

i'll make that a mini goal, to drink a tall glass of water today. Do you find yourself running to the little girls room alot though? i always remember that as a side effect...

i like the minigoals idea too. for today, i'm just going to get through this day without over eating...lets say 1200 calories.

i'm also going to brave this blizzard and drive to the pool! exercise isn't usually a problem for me, other than i'm less motivated when i'm not eating right! it's hard to run with a belly full of trail mix or whatever. Taco bell...anything.

OK, yesterday, i did the yoga class! my first ever official yoga class. they said it was vinyasa yoga and alot of the poses are the same ones from my Karen Voight DVD.
I did over eat though, i bought a bag of trail mix at trader joes afterward. i didn't even bother with adding up the calories!
BUT it was trail mix with no chocolate or candy, so i've kept up with my new years resolution of NO SWEETS! (except for cheesecake. i don't know why the new years resolution made an exception for cheesecake, it came to me in a vision...a vision from the gods. And cheesecake is the food of the gods;) )

WVU Jenn
01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
yesterday again was an overeat day.....they keep putting out sweets and such by the coffee at my work!!!!!! someone tell me what you do to steer clear of these things!!!!?????
Also no treadmills in the add bulletin....Im bummed. My goal for today....
Not overeat and drink 2-3 bottles of water!

amber961
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey everyone.
I'm Amber, I'm 30 (will be 31 on 1/21) very happily married (been together for almost 13 yrs), have 2 kids-DD who is 8, DS is 5; a spaz rat terrier and a cat who tolerates us. I am also a Brownie leader for my daughter's troop. I am a stress eater and sugar/fat are my food triggers. I have been overweight my entire life, but after my son was born in 2003, I went on Depo Provera. I got off of it in August of 2007, and slowly but surely the pounds are coming off with alot of very hard work. I lost a total of 30 lbs in 2008, but I just cannot seem to get below 270. I am counting my calories while focusing on getting enough water, fruits and veggies, and fiber. I am working out using a Wii Fit-which i highly recommend-and trying to take it one day at a time. I honestly have only set one short term goal for 2009-which is to weigh 250 by March 20 (Brownie trip), but I do have daily and weekly goals which are:

Daily:
1. Drink a minimum of 80oz of water each day
2. get at least 4 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit a day
3. get at least 3 servings of dairy a day
4. eat a healthy breakfast
5. work out at least 45 minutes each day.

Weekly:
1. work out at least 5 days each week
2. plan and eat my meals according to what I need for the day
3. manage my stress by blogging or talking things out
4. take everything one day at a time, one BITE at a time if necessary!

I hate the word diet. I absolutely cannot stand it. It puts me in the frame of mind that this is something that I am doing temporarily, instead of this being a complete lifestyle change. Every single day for me is a struggle with eating and working out. I also deal with alot of negative self talk. I have a picture of me that was taken back in May of last year, when I was just beginning my weight loss journey, and it keeps me focused on the big prize. I look at it every time I feel like giving up. I am so glad to have found this thread! I will be using it alot!

PearFreak
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I'd love to join in , if you'd all let me. :^:
I am nearing my goal, only need to loose 6 more lbs, but after that have a small goal of loosing 5 or 6 more. I know it isn't a lot of weight to loose, but it is what it is. I want to be that small framed gal I was pre-kids. I don't mind my body now, as I was able to carry two babes full term (boy was pregnancy hard on my body) and having had two c/s well... my body is now motherly :nono:.
I always seems to plateau. Man I hate them too :mad: . They seem to last awhile then boom.. slowly the weight comes off. Then another plateua AGAIN. I feel as I have been going up and down between loosing two or three lbs and the gaining it back. It sucks because it puts me in another bracket, I want the lower bracket. :crazy:

I am a pretty good eater... no red meat, love me my veggies and fruits, granola and nuts etc. But, I always seem to get in a cooking rut--- the same meals over and over again. I love to cook, so am willing to try out things. As for water, I lug it with me all day. Some days are better then others. I do have a soft spot for sweets, so limit them to entering my house. Well try to atleast. :snooty:

Well that is all for now...

Oh my goal for today is to eat another piece of fruit before days end and drink another 16 ounces of water. I can do it... Yes I can. :encore:

meredithann
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey there "buddies!" Just checking in...how are we all doing today??

Meredith

amber961
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey everyone!

Today I am off to a pretty good start. I ate some Fiber One with raisins and oat clutsters for breakfast and I will be working out here shortly. I am gonna focus on getting all of my water in today, even though I don't want to because it's so COLD here today. It is so easy for me during the summer to get all of my water in plus some because of the heat and humidity. I want to challenge myself today, though so I can get it all in.
One meal during the cold months I have trouble with is lunch, because frankly, I do not want a salad! I want something hot and hearty and filling, and unfortunately, here in GA that means fatty foods. So, give me your ideas! Leftovers are obvious, and so is canned soup, so give me an idea of something different. (yeah, not hard at all, right?? LOL)
I hope everyone has a great day!

Amber

meredithann
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
One meal during the cold months I have trouble with is lunch, because frankly, I do not want a salad!

How about some turkey and maybe some lowfat cheese on a wrap, warm it in the microwave, and then put some lettuce and a little dressing on it? We have those here at school, and they are pretty good!

amber961
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
How about some turkey and maybe some lowfat cheese on a wrap, warm it in the microwave, and then put some lettuce and a little dressing on it? We have those here at school, and they are pretty good!

Hey thanks! I will definitely try that! My daughter was taking cooking classes and they did something similar to that by spreading laughing cow cheese onto those high fiber low carb sandwich wraps, topping it with turkey or chicken and baking it in the toaster oven, then topping it with baby spinach or salad greens, drizzling a little olive oil or dressing over it. It was pretty tasty! I had forgotten about that until now.

meredithann
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Yum! That sounds really good!

kaebea
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi buddies.
Bleahhhhh.....not sure what i got into yesterday, but after lunch i wound up curled in the recliner all day with an upset stomach, chills, joint and muscles aches and a temp of 100.2.
I almost passed out after feeding all the animals, so i climbed into bed @ 6pm and there I stayed until about 9am this morning, needless to say, i called in sick from work today, the first time in 8 years, i'm sure they'll cut me some slack. i actually was feeling alright when the alarm went off, but the idea of shoveling snow off my drive was enough to make me feel woozy all over again...

well, on the upside i reached my goal of drinking a glass of water and not overeating! I'm still afraid to eat just yet...

PearFreak
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
God morning Fellow Dieters... :dizzy:

Not going to the gym today, because I have a lot of errands to do. Did some already, but need to pick up the kids soon and finish them off with them.
Good news is I went grocery shopping and got lots of good stuff. I am making a turkey tortelini soup for dinner. I can't wait for dinner.

Hmmm, as for good simple hearty lunches other then a salad, what about a grilled ham and cheese sandwich on rye. Use low fat butter and lean ham. I also like salsa and chips. I make my own salsa, dump it on the chips, sprinkle on some cheese and warm it up a bit. Just a few ideas... will add more if I think of them later.

My goal today, since I am not going to the gym is to keep the water intake up to par, seeing as it is FFFFF-freezing :brr: cold out today, that would make it a lil hard, as I don't want to drink cold stuff, but hot warm and toasty drinks... MMMmMm Coffee.

Good luck ladies!! :dance:

healthierme78
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
If it's alright, I'd also like to join the group.

I'm 30, from Michigan, and have been married for 3 years with no children yet (and have two cats). I went from my skinniest weight at my wedding to my heaviest in a few short years and need a major change in my life.

I'm so tired of people trying to figure out if I'm pregnant because I've gained so much weight. It's so embarassing. I find myself not wanting to do a lot of things because I don't think I'm in shape enough to keep up with the others or I have nothing to wear and am not about to go shopping for clothes - that's when I get depressed the most.

My relationship with my husband is good but he's almost too accepting and we constantly reward ourselves with food (of course, he's very athletic and in shape :P ). So I need to break that habit and also stop eating out as much as I can.

I gained weight as a result of laziness, stress from work, and lack of time to work out. The problem is that I feel if I am working out like I should, that I have no life and literally go from waking, work, drive home, eat, work out, sleep....repeat! (But it's a catch 22 because I have no life when I'm overweight and don't want to do fun things).

I'm looking to break this cycle and started this week (1/12/09 at 225 lbs) and eventually to get down to around 140 lbs again. I have been eating healthy everyday and working out every day I'm able to so far. It seems like the first 2 or 3 weeks are the hardest - because my stomach is so used to eating until it's full and wants more.

If I can get through the weekend and continue to eat good everyday and work out at least 5 days - I will have accomplished my mini goal for the week. I would like to keep this up for the next 3 weeks to get past that first initial hump for me. I'll keep you updated and be accountable for those goals.

PearFreak
01-15-2009, 01:32 PM
healthierme--- If you feel 5 days of worikng out is to much to start with, why not do three and gradually up it over time? No one says that you have to work out 5 days a week. I would love to, but in all reality, I can't. I have a ton of other things to do, so I do 3 or 4 days a week.

Good luck!

healthierme78
01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
You're right, Pearfreak. I'm hoping that if I say I want to work out 5 days, then I'll probably work out 3 or 4 ha ha. If I say I want to work out 3 or 4, I'll probably work out 2. I wonder why I do that? Anyone else have that problem? Thanks for the advice though. Gradual is probably better than shocking my body and I don't want to disappoint myself already by not setting achievable goals and then giving up entirely when I don't meet them the first week.

kaebea
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi amber,
hot hearty and filling, what about soups or stews? one of my fav dishes of all time is beef stew with vegitables--carrots, onions and potatoes.
just keep it brothy rather than add thickener, or just add as little thickener as you can get away with. i have in the past purreed some of the potatoes to thicken it, since i don't tolerate wheat or flour well.

another soup i love is chicken soup with carrots--toss all in a pot with sea salt, after an hour or two , remove chicken and strain broth, pull meat off chicken and puree the carrots in a food processor. one of my favorite soups! i made some today.

Also!!!! Avocados are in season, a half or whole avocado makes a good addition to lunch, and is filling and yummy. that's what's been my lunch the past few weeks, avocado mixed with parsely or greens or tomatoes. sort of salad- esque, but the avocado adds bit more fullfillment to it.

well, my stomach's still bugging me a little, but i'm gonna go shovel snow so i'm not homebound at least. we got 4-6 inches yesterday. which is a good amount for us...

my main goal today is again, to not over eat. :)
if i don't feel too woozy, i may go for a swim, but if not, the snow shoveling will double as a work out.

wish i had one of these! :
http://www.wovel.com/

amber961
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
First of all, thanks so much for everyone giving me lunch suggestions! I ate some hummus, salsa and veggies and a half portion of some home made chicken enchiladas. I also work out for 50 minutes doing step aerobics on my wii fit. Tomorrow will be more difficult as I have a brownie leader's meeting and there is no telling what time I will get home! Unfortunately on most Fridays I only eat one, maybe two meals at the most!
Welcome healthierme! I hope that you use this board to stay with it! Plus, since you are just starting out, keep it simple. For me, I am focusing on eating balanced, drinking lots of water and working out. So far so good!
Thanks so much for the suggestions, kaebea! I will definitely be using yours and the others on here to fill out my midday meals.

txnikita
01-15-2009, 08:21 PM
My Name is Angela,

I am 34 years old. I have been married for 11 years. We have 3 children together and I have a son from my previous marriage. I work full time and it is a night shift. I also go to school two days a week. We have 2 cats and a dog. My husband and I are taking an anniversary trip in May and my goal is to be 175 pounds by then so I can fit nicely into any of the roller coaster seats we come across. I would also like to be able to be off the medications I am currently on for Blood pressure and sugars.

There are many things I would like to change about my life but for some reason I never quite seem to get there. My biggest goal for right now is to start my journal again. For some reason that seems to help me but I am forever saying "I will start tomorrow".

If anyone wants to chat I am usually signed into MSN messenger when reading this forum.

Good Luck to all of us.

:)

WVU Jenn
01-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Good morning everyone! This thread took off nicely!
I wanted to reply to healthierme about her husband being accepting....isnt it such a catch 22 when you husband loves you unconditionally, and doesnt even see the weight you have gained? It does not and I mean DOES NOT deter my husband at all that I have gained like 60 lbs since we first met, he still looks at me the same way, and while I know i am one of the luckiest women in the world to have found a man like that, its definately not a motivator to lose weight, and we also celebrate things with food!!!! LOL

As far as warm lunches for these cold cold days, I was wondering if anyone has tried the progresso soups that boast 1 point or no points, if they were any good and how expensive they may be? I remember when I was on weight watchers my saving grace was making the zero point soup when I had screwed up that day.....
Hope everyone stays warm and has a wonderful weekend! I have to work 12 hours tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it! I bought some slim fasts in case I get famished and cant grab something good!

kaebea
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi jenn,
no, have not tried the soups.
how about canned chilli? i know that trader joes has a couple good varieties to choose from. and add a bit of cheese if thats' in your diet plan.
i used to buy those all the time, Mmmmmmm :)

txnikita, i'm another 'I'll start tomorrow' sayer! Horrible affliction, isn't it?
I figured i was making my journal too complex, what with a bunch of suppliments that i take, and a couple herbs and a medication.
so i'm just going to simplify it to just food and calories.
and probably workouts too, since i like recording those if i have done them.
looks like you've done swell on your weight loss though, 175 is not that far off! yay :carrot:

I've heard good things about the wii fit, like, that it kicks your butt???! I don't get how it can work, but i know a few people that have one and they says it's a challenge.

so my goal for the day is just not to over eat. if i can do that 2 weeks, i'm sure i'll see some weight loss.
i think i'll hit the pool too, now that i'm feeling better.
:D

amber961
01-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Today was my long day, as all Fridays tend to be. I don't drink enough and I usually don't even eat three full meals. I still have not worked out yet, although I plan to tonight. I am also working on getting my water in for the day too. I just feel off today, and a little achy. It's the coldest day of the year and I'm sure before the night is over with, we will be setting records. I hope you all stay warm and fuzzy!

amber961
01-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone! It's the weekend! :carrot: I hope you all have wonderful plans for the next couple of days. I wanted to share something with all of you that has helped me lose weight and stay on track. The more water I drink, the better I do. Drinking lots of water helps me feel awake in the morning and I used to drink 3 cups of coffee every day (have not had one drop since Dec 26). It also helps me when I exercise. I tend to have more stamina and can work out faster and harder at cardio and if I am strength training, I can handle longer reps and heavier weights. It also keeps my headaches under control. I have a long history dealing with migraines, and my gosh it helps so much. I drink a minimum of 80 ounces a day, which sounds like alot, but it really is not. I can buy a 44oz ice water from Sonic for fifty cents and fill it back up once and I have hit my daily water goal.
So, drinking lots of water has greatly helped me see the scale move in the right direction. What has helped you?

rockopera
01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi all!!

My name is Merie and I'd love to join in!!! I'm 30. Married 6 years. No kids. 2 cats. Joined a gym with a friend last weekend, and really need to get it together this time.

Was at my lowest weight in college - 150 - but got there in very unhealthy ways. Met the boy, got happy, put on 20 happy lbs. And then had bad reactions to birth control, had a bout of depression, and now have been ~200 for the past 5 years. Feel like I'm always 'starting' to get serious about dropping the weight, but never really follow through. I'm the queen of excuses. Lately, my excuse has been work - since I work 50+ hours a week.

Joining the gym with a friend should make a huge difference, and I'm probably going to do some personal training to get started with the new lifestyle. This week has been really good. Joined the gym on Saturday. Sunday - 35 minutes elliptical. Tuesday - initial personal training assessment. Wednesday - 35 minutes elliptical. Friday - hour Zumba dance cardio class. Saturday - hour spinning class. I meet with my trainer on Wednesday, and will probably work something out. I'm hoping to be able to swing like, 6 weeks of training. Hopefully 2-30 minute sessions a week.

I'm so so so excited my gym has spinning classes. I used to go regularly before we moved to another state, I miss my old gym. Because of my work schedule, I most likely won't be able to make it to the 2 evening classes during the week, but the 9am Saturday class is awesome for me. I feel so good this morning after doing that. I definitely have to keep it up.

My goals right now are to get the cardio in, and then learn the best things to do for weight training with my trainer.

Amber, I'm totally with you on the water. I had heard a tip recently to drink 16 oz of water first thing in the morning, before doing anything. I started doing it and it made such an amazing difference. I wake up faster, get moving better and feel a whole lot better all morning. And I've also been trying to get 3-4 cups of green tea in as well as the water all day.

*m

Masstacular
01-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Frank and I joined the other day. I'm 30, attached, 1 child "hers" 7 years old. Have a dog and a cat. I'm basically like everyone else as far as yoyoing with my weight. Life will be good, and I'll lose weight, be happy. Then something will happen, I'll give up, eat, pity myself, eat, watch tv, eat. Did I mention eat? Anyway. I'm here to make a change so I guess I'll share my goals. I start tomorrow. :)

15 pounds by Valentines day.
"I know it's 0.5 pounds a day, but I'm a guy and it's the initial weight, so I know it will happen."

Drink 100 oz of water a day.

Join a Gym, and work out 4-6 days a week. Cardio all days, weight training 3.
There's a franchise here that's only $19.00 a month so you can't beat it.

Give up the soda, chips, candy, cookies, etc. If it's not healthy, I don't need it.

See ya around chickies!!! :D

amber961
01-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Frank and I joined the other day. I'm 30, attached, 1 child "hers" 7 years old. Have a dog and a cat. I'm basically like everyone else as far as yoyoing with my weight. Life will be good, and I'll lose weight, be happy. Then something will happen, I'll give up, eat, pity myself, eat, watch tv, eat. Did I mention eat? Anyway. I'm here to make a change so I guess I'll share my goals. I start tomorrow. :)

15 pounds by Valentines day.
"I know it's 0.5 pounds a day, but I'm a guy and it's the initial weight, so I know it will happen."

Drink 100 oz of water a day.

Join a Gym, and work out 4-6 days a week. Cardio all days, weight training 3.
There's a franchise here that's only $19.00 a month so you can't beat it.

Give up the soda, chips, candy, cookies, etc. If it's not healthy, I don't need it.

See ya around chickies!!! :D

Hey Frank! :welcome3: to 3FC and this thread! Here we give encouagement and keep each other accountable. I am a stress eater so I understand the ups and downs with weight. I'm coming off of a rough year in some ways, but I still managed to lose 30 lbs by making myself focus on what was going on instead of shoving ice cream and junk in my face every time something bad or stressful happened. Along the way I discovered that I LIKE to work out-really! I even ran in high school for FUN, even though the smallest I can remember ever being is a size 14 when I was 16. I know that you can do this and I'm here if you need anything! :hug:

Masstacular
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement Amber. I love to work out. Lifting weights gives me a high like no other. I just fall out of the habit. I miss it when I don't do it. It's the same old excuse most use. Not enough time. I'm going to make time though. I lifted with a buddy from work for a week. I locked up my left my bicep and it took 3 days for me to fully extend my arm. I've had a reality check. I'm not 20 anymore. I don't spring back. :( Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement. Mail me a peach when you get a chance. :)

fmb101
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Morning all! I'd like to join in too if it's all right!

My name is Flavia. I'm 35yrs old, 5'3", married for 14 yrs, have 4 girls (12, 10, 9 & 2) and live in Rhode Island [North East ;)]. I started my own home day care recently because my husband travels A LOT every week.

At my heaviest, I weighed 154 lbs. That was the beginning of November. As of this morning I weigh 140.6 lbs! I've been sick for the last week :barf: and I'm hoping that as my appetite comes back, I'll be able to maintain the weight and not put more on. :crossed: My ultimate weight goal is 125-130lbs, but in shape. So the number isn't as important as the fitness.

The biggest boost to my motivation to lose weight has been that I joined a band in November. I'm one of 3 lead singing girls and the other two are both 25 and thin. :yikes: I had my first show with them Jan 9th and although I wasn't at the goal I was reaching for, I did make huge progress towards it and feel pretty good.

I've been following the South Beach Diet and workout out 45-60 min per day on my exercise bike :ebike: at least 4-5 days per week since I started. Also, since I've been so busy with the daycare, band rehersals, kids sports & activities I skipped most dinners and was just eating breakfast, lunches & snacks.

Now I'm shifting gears. I've recently found a book about weight training and I'm going to try and follow it to see what kind of results I get. :wl: The book is: "The New Rules of Lifting for Women - Lift like a man, look like a goddess" by Lou Schuler. It challenges a lot of the things we've always been told/taught about losing weight. I won't go into detail because it's A LOT of info. But I'll keep you updated on my progress.

My new goals are to do my weight lifting (WL) workouts 3 times per week [sun/tues/thurs]. It says cardio can be counter-productive and unnecessary to this workout so I'll be skipping it for now. "Stage 1" of the workout lasts 6 weeks. I'm also going to follow their nutrition suggestions. I'm a little scared but I understand what they are saying and hoping they are right :lol:

My mini goal is to drink more water. I hate water. Like someone else said, it's a lot easier in the summer and when it's hot. :beach: What I've been trying to do is to chug a luke-warm 8oz glass before each meal/snack. At least that way I'm getting a good 40-48oz without really trying.

I'm hopin to team up with a couple/few people who are at similar places as me and we can keep each other on track with a little 'butt-kicking' :drill: I can private-message my email address to anyone who's interested.

Good luck to us all! :hug:

txnikita
01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Drinking lots of water helps me to. Whenever I am about to eat because I think I am hungry, I try to drink water first to see if I am really hungry or bored. I say "try" to drink water because my will power has left me hanging.

My goal for the week is 2.5lbs. I hope to reach this goal by lots of water, daily exercise of some form or another and by the lack of junk food. Again this will be a challenge because the junk food is here in the house...I will just have to make the choice to avoid it.

Next time I tell myself I will start tomorrow....someone needs to slap me.... it's been 2,000 tomorrows and my body is going to give up on me some day if I don't stick to this. :mad:

So Here's to a great week.....may we all enjoy life and be strong in our willpower!!!!:carrot:

meredithann
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I am so glad to see that so many people need and are willing to be buddies! I am one of those "social" eaters, but also an emotional eater. I have been kicking my own butt into gear for the past 2 weeks:cb:, but the thing that has kept me going is knowing that I am accountable to my buddies on 3FC! :grouphug:(My husband has also been helping. He is quitting tobacco, I am quitting my "habitual" eating problem.)

I felt really good about myself today...a donut social after church today, and I got the donuts for my kids, but didn't eat a bite. One bite would have set me off, then I would have been screwed for the day! Now I have to go to a post holiday party with some friends and try to stay on track! Send me your strength!

Love ya, buds! :hug:
Meredith

P.S. Anyone who would like to e-mail me, PM me, and I will send my address!

kaebea
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Flavia,
i'm going to have to check out the New Rules of Weight Lifting.
it was also recommended on the weigh lifting forum when i asked for advise on lifting.
that's another of my goals, to get a trainer at the gym and work on wieght training.

Here's a fact alot of you water chuggers might find of interest: in traditional chinese medicine, it is actually not recommended to drink cold water. it slows down digestion, and poor digestion can lead to excess weight. It is better to drink warm fluids. especially in the winter. Herbal teas are a good option too.
A second fact of some interest is that it has recently entered mainstream health news that no one is really certain where the recommended 8 glasses of water per day originated and that no research has really been done to support it.

I mean, i'm not trying to deter anyone from drinking water of course. if it's making you feel good, keep sipping.

doin ok with the not over eating goal. 3 days in a row. weight is slowly creeping down. Still keeping up with the 'no sweets' new years resolution.
baby steps, baby steps. like my timeline says, my goal is for my fish to swim to 170 lbs. i'm hoping by the end of february.
I'm easing into yoga and weigh lifting, and in the spring i plan to pick up the cardio. the important thing now is the eating habits for me.

I agree meredith, the accountability is helping me i think :)

I found a cool web site for the magazine Experience Life. It has a more whole body approach than alot of popular health magazines do. A friend of mine gave me her old magazines and i enjoyed them, but here's the web site: http://www.experiencelifemag.com/index.html

fmb101
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Ladies!

Just wanted to put up my post for the day. I wasn't able to do my strength training for today because the time I had slotted for it this morning, I had to spend shoveling more snow out of my driveway. So I think that should count for today. Especially since I haven't shoveled snow since I was about 10. :lol: That's usually my husband's job but lucky for him he is away and I got drafted.

Hope you all are doing well!

MJSinMT
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi, I am Jo, 37 years old, husband, two kids (13 and 10) and 2 dogs (see the picture, yep those are mine heehee). I have never been super thin, you could describe me as "thick" then 15 years ago my husband got stationed in
Germany. Needless to say I put on alot of weight the first 6 months we were there. We've lived a million places since then and I have taken it off, put it on again and so on. That endless circle that nearly everyone here can relate to. Right now I am heavier than anytime in life including pregnancy. I know how I got here, lets be honest you all know how I got here. Now I just want outa here!!!!

Right now I am working on simply reducing calories and trying to get some excersise in a few days a week. I try not to have any one large caloric meal at any time during the day but rather spread the calories evenly over the day. So my goal each day is to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, snack and still remain under my target calorie range. Also I am trying to make sure that foods have good sources of fiber or protein. I love breads and sugars and I am trying to cut them out as much as possible. I have also quit the diet pop ( i don't drink regular pop either). That part has been really hard and even as I type I would kill for a diet coke!!

I have been hanging out on this site for the past couple weeks and have read some really great advice and hope that I will be able to take any motivation given here and use it to my advantage.

kaebea
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi friends.
I went swimming today. horray!
I'm not terribly fast, in fact I'm horribly slow, but i managed to slowly swim laps for 40 minutes. By then all the old folks were lined up on the edge waiting for me to get out so they could start their water therapy at 11:15.

I've lost a pound or 2. i better update my fish.

it looks so daunting, aiming to loose 30 lbs. i know that really isn't alot, but i feel so stuck at my current weight. I guess i even feel a bit skeptical that i will be able to loose any significant weight, and commit to a healthy lifestyle without falling back into my old routine.

Yeah, i need to get past that. hopefully confidance will come as i see some results...

for the past year or so though, i've been bouncing back and forth between 180 and 175. when i see 175, i start to feel like i can eat what i want, then i go back up to 180 and put on the breaks again.

Buuuuut , one day at a time.

DanielleMomOf2Boys
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Can I join ya'll?

I am 32 mother of 2 precious boys, wife, and preK teacher. I struggle with eating every day. I am beginning to eat to live rather than live to eat. I refuse to eat anything at school that I did not bring with me...no lunchroom food, snacks, cupcakes, etc. It is hard when food is all around you in the classroom/school. I am beginning to find other things to do when I am upset or angry. Walk, exercise, cook something healthy. I have 100 pounds to lose and It will not be easy. I have lost 8 since new years and hope to see the onehundreds by April. My sister is getting married and I am her Matron of Honor. I can't be up there looking like a fat cow! I am on WW and not eating all the points. I am having a Lifestyle change!!!

#1 goal ~ 10 pounds off = pedicure
#2 goal ~ 20 pounds off = new tennis shoes

kaebea
01-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Danielle,
sure you can join us!
I completely understand about working in a place where people are always bringing in food.
with me i just had to draw a line, black and white. No bites, nothing. cuz all i needs a bite to start the downward spiral. to be sucked into the sugary vortex.

I notice alot of people who say they reach for food when they're angry, upset etc. I feel sorta like a freak cuz i don't really need an emotion to over eat. I just always want to eat, emotional or no:?:

i've been doing pretty good though. stickin with it. swam 2 days in a row. not binging. the good news is i 'm feelin' pretty good about it. Seems like when i'm stressing about it and everything else is when i'll be starting over every day, so i hope i'll be a sucess story by june:D

Masstacular
01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry that I've not been around the last couple of days. I've been in the hospital with the kidlet. Nothing too serious, and he'll be coming home hopefully tomorrow. I've been stuck eating out of the McDonalds that's in the hospital. YES!!! There is a McDonalds attached to a childrens hospital. *shakes head* Anyway, I've been tracking my intake on fitday, and even with eating at the golden arches I've managed to stay on plan entirely. Thank you Grilled Chicken Ceaser. :) To all those that have joined the tread, WELCOME. You'll be seeing me around. We gotta have a least one guy to keep all you women in line. :D Seriously though. Thank you all for all the motivation and for warm reception I see extended to everyone.

Peace,
Frank

PearFreak
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Hey Buddies! I am here. Lazing around today, but because of a gruelling workout. I didn't drink nearly enough water today and had some sweets.. a cupcake. Won't be able to go to the gym tomorrow... loads of errands, but am hoping to hop right back in it by friday.

rockopera
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi all!

Doing okay over here, just busy like always. Was able to go to a spinning class Monday evening. :) I love spinning. I don't know how often I'll be able to get to the 6pm class on Mondays and Thursdays, but I'll try! I play on a coed rec softball team, and we had practice Tuesday night.

Just trying to make better choices. Tuesday night, ended up going out to eat afterwards. Passed up the HUGE craving for buffalo chicken strips and fries for a grilled chicken sandwich with side salad. That was really big for me.

Last night, I met with my trainer. He took me through various strength training stuff. I'm going to be feeling it everywhere today. But it's a good feeling. Working muscles that don't normally get touched. I have family in town next week, but I'm set up with him the following week.

Hi Danielle! Hi MDS!

Frank - sorry to hear about the hospital, glad to hear the kidlet is okay. Sorry about the McDonalds. That's a good healthy thing for a hospital.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

-Merie

meredithann
01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome Danielle! I am a teacher, too, so I can TOTALLY sympathize with the food thing. I am always having birthday treats, etc, plopped on my desk. I try to save them for my boys after school, but since we went to the dentist yesterday, I am just going to have to throw them away. My 5 year old has 6 (yes, 6) cavities! He is my sweet tooth guy, and it definitely shows!

I have been having a hard time being motivated to work out lately, but hopefully today I will get on the treadmill in the basement and do some walking. My hubby is going to take the boys to wrestling practice, and so I will be home with the little one. She loves to watch me walk on the treadmill and play with her babies! Yesterday I did 8 minute Pilates with all 3 of them, and then a 10 minute ab workout. I have found if I just do small things, it is easier to deal with. I NEED to get some cardio in, though!

Oh well, hope you all are having a great day! Frank, I am glad to hear that your kiddo is okay!

Meredith

WVU Jenn
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
oh good grief....I had a bad bad day on Tuesday......I worked a 10 hour shift saturday, a 12 hour shift Monday and Tuesday I was supposed to relax....well I woke up and the puppy wouldnt go outside b/c it was so cold so i had to clean up her messes and the DH had friends over while I was gone one day and the next day I was gone he slept then went over to a buddies house so I had to clean up what he didnt and I was so stressed I ate EVERYTHING! I ate the healthy stuff that I bought, I ate the unhealthy leftovers that my DH had in the fridge, etc etc....I felt ill.....I survived....but gee whiz. LOL Yesterday I stayed within calories, whether it was healthy or not IDK but at least stayed within my range.....today I ate 2 eggs and some grilled tomatoes and a cup of coffee and a stick of string cheese, and Im supposed to meet my friend for lunch where I hope to order soup and salad. Back on track!
Hope everyone is doing well, while I love the snow, now that we have the puppy I am praying for warmer weather for potty training purposes! Need patience and willpower and these things I have never had much of! Determination I got though!!!!!!!!

amber961
01-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry that I've not been around the last couple of days. I've been in the hospital with the kidlet. Nothing too serious, and he'll be coming home hopefully tomorrow. I've been stuck eating out of the McDonalds that's in the hospital. YES!!! There is a McDonalds attached to a childrens hospital. *shakes head* Anyway, I've been tracking my intake on fitday, and even with eating at the golden arches I've managed to stay on plan entirely. Thank you Grilled Chicken Ceaser. :) To all those that have joined the tread, WELCOME. You'll be seeing me around. We gotta have a least one guy to keep all you women in line. :D Seriously though. Thank you all for all the motivation and for warm reception I see extended to everyone.

Peace,
Frank

I know what you mean!!! My son was transfered to a Level 1 nursery after he was born and for the ten days he was there, that is ALL we ate was McDonald's! I was floored to find that a hospital that had a Level 1 Trauma and a Cardiac unit had a McDonald's in it. Good on you for tracking!:carrot:

amber961
01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone!

I have been busy the last couple of days taking care of things for our Brownie troop. Cookie season is SO BUSY!!! I do more now than I did when I had a full time job!!! Our donated boxes will be shipped to Marines serving overseas and I have had the greatest opportunity to speak to some wonderful people serving our country.
Yesterday was my birthday-I am 31 now-but we still have not had the time to celebrate. Maybe this weekend we will find the time. My hubby did get me 2 games for our Wii-The Price is Right, which I totally kicked his butt in last night, and Wii Personal Trainer. I have yet to try the Personal Trainer but I'll let you all know how it is.
Welcome to all of the new members! This is such a wonderful place to find support and encouragement and to learn helpful tips.
Hope you all have a great day!

amber961
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Welcome Danielle! I am a teacher, too, so I can TOTALLY sympathize with the food thing. I am always having birthday treats, etc, plopped on my desk. I try to save them for my boys after school, but since we went to the dentist yesterday, I am just going to have to throw them away. My 5 year old has 6 (yes, 6) cavities! He is my sweet tooth guy, and it definitely shows!

I have been having a hard time being motivated to work out lately, but hopefully today I will get on the treadmill in the basement and do some walking. My hubby is going to take the boys to wrestling practice, and so I will be home with the little one. She loves to watch me walk on the treadmill and play with her babies! Yesterday I did 8 minute Pilates with all 3 of them, and then a 10 minute ab workout. I have found if I just do small things, it is easier to deal with. I NEED to get some cardio in, though!

Oh well, hope you all are having a great day! Frank, I am glad to hear that your kiddo is okay!

Meredith

This is also for you other teachers out there-
For my daughter's birthday two years ago, instead of sending the traditional cupcakes, we sent cheese cubes and apple slices. Her teacher told me that was the biggest hit with all of the kids. Since then, alot of parents have started sending in healthier things. Have you thought about approaching your parents? I know that we live on a tight budget, but any time I am asked to send in something, I make an effort to send in something healthier than sugary snacks-even if it is just plain pretzels. I always say it is not fair to hype them all up on sugar and let them overrun the poor teacher!

Newshinyme
01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi All!
This is a wonderful thread, may I join in?

I am 34, married, no kids and no pets :(. One of my goals is to get my body into fighting shape to get pregnant hopefully this year. I still don't know what that point is, I am hoping I will know when I get there.
Right now I am off work because I am being a little selfish (with my DH's support) and am working on myself. I wanted to go back to school to get a Master's degree and work on the whole baby thing. About a month ago I decided the school thing was going to have to wait. Now all I have to do is focus on my physical health and probably get a job in the meantime too he he (not a very appealing prospect the way the economy is right now)
Anyway, my ultimate goal is to get to 130 lbs and have a strong healthy body.
My current mini-goal is to lose 20 lbs. I am about 1 lb. away but it's taking soooo long. Oh and exercise. I have never been very good or keen about the whole getting a sweat on thing, so I really, really have to push myself to do it.
Can't wait to get to know you all :D

DanielleMomOf2Boys
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the advice Amber! Cheese cubes and fruits are always a hit for my kids. We do not give them sugar until right before they go home. The parents get to deal with the hyperness! LOL

Thanks for the encouragement Meridith! I am trying to do a Fruit Flush Detox this weekend. I hope to flush out my system! I am 2#s away from my 1st mini goal and 10#s gone for good. Every pound counts!

Have a great weekend everyone!

meredithann
01-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Cheese cubes and fruits are always a hit for my kids.

That is so funny, because today for my son's snack day in Kindergarten, I sent in cheese sticks and pretzels!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I have a lot of cleaning on my plate tomorrow, and a full day of wrestling on Sunday! Yippee!

kaebea
01-23-2009, 08:37 PM
today I ate 2 eggs and some grilled tomatoes and a cup of coffee and a stick of string cheese,

Heh heh, that sounds like my kinda meal! and i think it's plenty healthy, eggs are meant to be little bunches of perfect nutrition !

amber, i heard about that GS cookie "calorie free" option of buying them for the troops over seas. I think thats a great idea. I'm just scared to order them from the brownie moms at work, cuz i'm avoiding sweets like the plague. All those little pictures of samoas and tagalongs are enough to make anyone forget their commitment to a lifestyle change!
0 sweets since Jan 1, 2009, still going strong!

I'm glad to say, i think i've hit a turning point. After a particularly l-o-n-g stressful day at work, the kind that usually elicits the "It's OK to eat and entire 1/2 gallon of Edy's cookie dough" response, I in fact opted for a golden orange bell pepper with which to have with my remaining hummus. And one mango, fruit of the gods. And, i do not feel deprived, nor am i thinking of ways to trick myself into buying that 1/2 gallon.

I've lost my 1 pound, and i'm dang well going to keep my measly 1 pound of loss if it's the only pound i ever loose! I'd rather be 179lbs than 180 thank you!!!!! :carrot:

amber961
01-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey everyone!
I'm up late again with insomnia. I have had it for years and it comes and goes, usually in times of high stress. This is definitely one of those times!
We went out this evening with my hubby's family for my birthday. Initially I had thought that it would be better to NOT go out as we are taking the steps to save some $$ but we have done so great so far that we decided to treat ourselves. We went to a new Greek restaurant here and I am happy to let you all know that I ate and ENJOYED myself without going totally overboard. I had some yummy gyro, chicken and steak that was very lean and grilled with a salad with the dressing on the side. I also had one grilled pita and some tzatziki sauce that was delish and low fat! The owner was there and she said that they are making the effort to serve healthier options especially when it comes to sauces. I even had dessert. I had a slice of lovely red velvet cake that I shared with everyone at the table. It was very good and completely worth it.
I am focusing on staying positive during this time. The economy and an illness in my family have really taken a toll on us, but at the same time we have all banded together to help each other out. This thread here has helped keep me focused on the day to day as well as the long term in regards to losing weight and getting healthy. I am taking everything as it comes and letting go of my controlling instincts, because goodness knows I cannot control ANY of this right now! I hope that this difficult time makes us all appreciate what truly matters!

Riayn
01-26-2009, 01:23 AM
I hope there is room for one more new member.

I am 33 year old from Sydney, Australia where I live with my partner and our two dogs.
For the past two years I have struggled with fibromyalgia reaching the point last year where I needed crutches to walk. However, I have the most amazing rheumatologist in the world and she designed a medication combo that has seen me throw away my crutches and get back into life.
Therefore, I am working on losing the weight I gained during those past two years plus all the weight I have carried around all my life.

At the moment, I am getting stuck into exercising and finding myself loving it, which is odd because I have always hated it. Also working on cleaning up my diet and drinking more water.

Masstacular
01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've done good all this week except for yesterday. We went to eat Mexican food and I overdid it. I ended the day at almost 3000 calories because of it. Made about 1500 of it that meal. Oh well, live and learn. I would have been ok if I had left the chips, rice and tortillas alone. I guess I'll remember that next time. Till next time chicks.

Peace,
Frank

kaebea
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Frank,
well, if you're going to splurge on something, let it be mexican food :)

sorry i haven't been a good buddy lately. I've been hanging out at the binge eater's forum. After browsing the boards for a while, that seems to be the place i can relate to alot right now. I think i need to be there.

on the other hand i did workout today, yay. worked out on my gazelle that's gathered more dust than i care to reveal. and used my balance trainer some. and i checked out the book Superfoods RX from the library and today purchased The new Rules of Weight Lifting for women, so i'm super excited to look through those. :)

Crap! tonight was my yoga class, forgot to go. Oh well, in the midst of this blizzard, it may have been canceled anyway. Well, i have a yoga DVD that's just as good. I can do that tomorrow on my day off.
Also, planning to sign up for a personal trainer for Feb. it's 99$ for 3 sessions at my gym.

Slowly, slowly making changes and improvements.

TracyP
01-28-2009, 06:40 AM
This is a fantastic thread :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm Tracy, I'm 33 and I live with my DH and 3 kids here in South Yorkshire England! I'm a lonely sahm so I'm looking forward to talking with you all.

WVU Jenn
01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey gals! Great to see new members! I am doing pretty well so far with the not over eating! I think I am actually staying within my point range, gotta go update my daily plate and let ya know, LOL ....been really busy at work and by the time I get home I am on puppy/dishes/cooking duty and by the time all that is done I am wanting to be with hubby instead of on the computer! I havent yet put exercise into my regime, still hoping to find a treadmill for cheap. wish me luck!
Oh and I saw something about cheese cubes, I LOVE cheese cubes and grapes! Taste so good together!

meredithann
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Hello Buddies! I haven't been posting for a few days...time has been consumed with school and trying to keep the kids occupied on the 2 snow days we have had. I am kind of hoping for no more, because, since we had 3 days off for the tropical storm that blew through Ohio in the fall, we only had 2 left! After that, we have to go on into June. Oh well, I have been staying within my calorie limits, but not working out...I know that I need to, just can't seem to motivate myself! I think I will do the treadmill and some 8 Minute Pilates (Love that DVD!) after I put the sick one down for a nap...
There is always a sick one here!

Hope you are having a great day!!

Meredith

amber961
01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey everyone. It has been awhile since I was on here too. It has been a crazy last few days for me. We had cookie preorder turn in. My dad is getting some tests for prostate cancer done. My hubby's hours got cut back at work and he is stressed with school. All in all, ALOT to deal with. I've always heard that God never gives you more than you can handle, but its times like these that make me wonder. I do hope all of you can pick back up where you left off and keep going. One meal will not derail all of your hard work and neither will one missed workout, unless you LET it. That is the key, to move on and get back on track as soon as possible. That is just what I did tonight. I did a 30 minute step aerobic workout and this is the first time I have worked out since Saturday. I just have not felt up to it. Also, during times of very high stress I don't sleep. I was up all night last night and even tried to nap during the day, but no such luck. Luckily I got some laundry done and put up. I am hoping that I will get to sleep some tonight. This is something that I have dealt with for years and no medication works for it. It just has to run its course.
I will get back on track tomorrow eating healthy, drinking my water and wroking out at least 30 minutes. I hope you all have a great night!

kaebea
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Buddies,
sounds like everyones had a busy week.
So here it is, the end of the month and i'm discouraged. i'm discouraged that with all the changes i've made, I haven't lost a thing :(
I cut out all sugary foods, sweets and things--my biggest binge foods. i've had multiple days in a row where i ate with in my calorie range. multiple, multiple days.
I thought once i cut out binge eating and just plain over eating, the pounds would come off easily. They always had in the past.
I wouldn't say i've increased my activity level any, but i haven't decreased it either. I'm just surprised my weight is stuck where it is. Normally when i cut back calories for a few days, it drops rather quickly.

So anyway, what do I do now?

An important thing for me as I loose weight is that i do not feel hungry. I want a diet that i can live off of for life. and if i'm getting hungry, which normally happens in the evenings, I wont stick with it.
So part of what i've been doing is almost experimenting i guess with different foods.
I normally can go all day on breakfast and lunch and not get very hungry. It usually around 2 or 3 pm that I get a 'bad' type of hunger. I know part of it is wearyness from the work day, part of it's stress, and part is really the need for food. I guess it's more of a low blood sugar feeling at that time of day, and that makes it the most challenging time to stick with any healthy eating goals that i have. it's the time i'm most likely to slip up....hmmm.

Today i felt that way and stopped at the grocery for a salad bar and some fruit. That actually helped alot.

so that's my first obstacle, the after work hours. The other though part of the day is after dinner. between like 7 and 9pm, I get this odd sort of pang in my stomach that can't be actual hunger, cuz i've just eaten. It puzzles me.

So anyway, sorry for the dejected tone of the post. I'm not about to give up. I am just frustrated. GARRRGH. I just want to feel good about how i look! It's starting to depress me.

well, i have some tricks up my sleeve for Feb. going to get a personal trainer at the gym. I'll have to work in more regular cardio. at least an extra day per week.
Hopefully the end of Feb. i'll be posting my wieght loss instead of my frustrations!!!!!!!

amber961
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey Kaebea,

Trust me I know how you feel! I have been trying very hard for the last three weeks to get below 275 and I feel like I am beating my head against a wall. I finally am understanding that the scale is not the end all be all measure of what we are doing. Are your clothes fitting different? How about your shoes? Do you feel better? Are you sleeping better; do you have more energy? Answers to questions like that will help you take a good look at what is going on in your body. We live in an instant society-we can get any info we need in the blink of an eye-and that makes us want to see and get instant results in weight loss. Don't let it discourage you! Sometimes your body has to catch up with all you are doing. Muscles get stronger and firmer as your fat cells shrink. You may have balanced out after losing alot of water weight and it will take time for the scale to move in the right direction. Don't give up!!!
I get that nightly hunger pang, too. Usually I can drink a cup of water or hot tea or some SF hot cocoa and it really helps. If that does not do the trick, I'll have a mini bag of microwave popcorn or some veggies with some hummus or peanut butter with carrots.
I know you can do this and February will be a great month for you!!!

:running:

Just keep going!

DanielleMomOf2Boys
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey everyone...It has been a looooong week. I haven't been on at all, but I have resisted donuts, cookies, cupcakes, and other junk at school this week. I feel so empowered to be able to separate my emotions from my eating. Just got my signature. I am siked about that! Hope you are enjoying a healthy weekend!

kaebea
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks amber. I know results will come, i just wish i could see something.

lets take a look at the questions:

Are your clothes fitting different? No.
How about your shoes? No.
Do you feel better? yeah, kinda. except for the no weighloss yet:D but my moods feel more stable, except when i'm suffering cabin fever!!!
Are you sleeping better; yeah, sometimes.
do you have more energy? a little, depends on the day.

Not too convincing yet, but we'll see if the answers are different in 4 weeks!
I've notice subtler changes, like i feel some bit of pride that i was able to stick with my New years resolution. I feel more focused and committed than i have in a long time, and I feel more positive over all, aside from my last post; I'm allowed a day or 2 of feeling dejected, aren't I?

I did swim yesterday, i took an hour early leave from work because i hadn't worked out in over a week and was feeling that 'seasonal affective disorder' thing pretty strong. Best 1 hour off work i ever had! felt sooooo much better today. they say the best cure for depression is exercise.

Hi Danielle, way to go with shunning the donuts and sweets:carrot: Remember: THEY DON'T REALLY LOVE YOU!!!!
I feel alot better when i'm not eating that stuff, and I have better control over my binging impulses. It's one small step, but that's a start. and you can build from there.

Masstacular
01-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Hello all. Sorry, power has been out so I haven't been able to get on. So far I'm doing pretty good. I'm staying on plan as far as my calories are concerned. :) I've lost 13.5 Pounds. More or less. Not bad for starting on January 18th. :) Gotta love that initial weight. Anyway, My minigoal was 283 by valentines day, but I'm going to crush that, so I'm upping it 5 pounds. So my new goal is 278. :) Anyway, good job for those that are making their goals. For those that aren't quite there, don't give up. Everything will work out and you will get there. Never give up. :)

erricah
02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
My name is Errica and I am a single parent of 2 children. We don't have cats or dogs but we have a ferret named Shaman. He doesn't act like a cat or a dog because he will bite your toes! lol. He is a good pet for my children. In the past, I'd been addicted to sweets and carbs. I also used to eat for comfort. Those are the habits that I am consisently working on. I am determined to get to 150 pounds by my birthday. I allowed myself to be side tracked due to the winter time and holidays. I love to cook in the winter and this winter is definitely no different. I have been sick the last couple of weeks with severe asthma and have lost weight due to that. Fortunately, I am determined not to allow it back on.

amber961
02-03-2009, 10:59 PM
:(

I really need some help here. I have fallen off the wagon in a HUGE way. I have no motivation what so ever to eat healthy or work out. I have been searching online for a new workout DVD or a Body Bugg or a new diet, hoping something would 'trigger' to me to get up and work out. I am craving carbs and sugar like there is no tomorrow. Every day in the afternoon, around 2:30, no matter where I am or what I am doing, I feel sluggish, sleepy and crave sugar. I am literally at my wits end and don't know what to do. Today I ate a good breakfast and lunch, but still the sugar monster reared its ugly head once again. I need help! If anyone has any suggestions at all, please let me know! I am a classic binge eater and sugar is my main trigger. It is so hard every single day to avoid sugar when I am craving it so very much.

kaebea
02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Amber, if sugar is your trigger, you won't like this, but you need to stay away from it, at least until you are in a better place to add it back in in moderation.

2-3 pm is a common crash time. I have been struggling with that for YEARS! it is probably low blood sugar kicking in. but don't give in to junk food, or you will get caught in a viscous cycle!
i am finding that fruit is getting me through that spell now that i have omitted junk food types of sweets. Think beyond the apple if apples seem boring to you. I LOVE those little clementine tangerine things that are in season now. Splurge on a box of those. bananas, grapefruit, berries or oranges. it may seem expensive, but it's the same amount as afew bags of chocolates or chips or whatever, and think of it as an investment in your body and health!

another good snack food is hummus and veggies. again, vary your veggies! let yourself splurge and buy one of those rediculously priced red bell peppers once in a while!
also, hot green or herbal teas are a good compliment to your afternoon snack. the warm liquid helps digestion and helps you feel sated.

getting off carbs is like a druggy getting clean. you will crave it bad for a while but once you get it out of your system, the cravings will subside.

one workout video i always liked was 'Your Personal Best" with Elle macPherson and karen Voight. it's an older one, but it's good with fairly easy, yet challenging moves, good music and tempo and great scenery! it's from the early 90's, a good era, so it's not really dated, since the styles haven't changed that much. you might be able to get it used on craigs list or something. it may only be available in VHS, i'm not sure...
Other easy workouts are just a few exercises with light arm weights, a few minutes with a jump rope (build slowly with this to avoid SORE calves), or walking.
just do anything, just to stay in the habit, even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes. Even though it doesn't seem like that would do much, staying in the habit of doing physical activity is half the battle.
I also have a good yoga DVD by karen voight if you'd like to try yoga. I like karen cuz she's mellow and calm, not hyper excited. but i guess that's a matter of personnal preference...

If your motivation is that low, don't stress your self to do a 60min workout or whatever if that seems too daunting. set a goal of like 10 or 15 mins of something an hour may seem long, but you can do anything for a mere 15 mins. better to do a little than to do nothing at all, right?

motivation will return, don't worry! there will be ups and downs, that's just natural for all things. above all, don't give into a perfectionist attitude, whatever you do!
Perfectionists never win!!!!!

kaebea
02-04-2009, 01:05 AM
:bravo:

P.S.
you've gone from 280 to 242 i see, and that is awesome!
you're doing great! keep going!

:cheer3::cheer2::cheer3::cheer2::cheer3::cheer2: