General chatter - Wii game recommendations???

View Full Version : Wii game recommendations???

mudskippersgrl
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone, I got the wii yesterday, and it came with the Sports games. I really like how interactive everything is, I especially like the Boxing game. Really makes you sweat.. ;)

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend any games that are fun and 'interactive' like the sports games? (only different) Games that you should stand up for rather than sitting down (like Mario cart.)

And... preferable games that don't require the wii fitness board, just because I just spent all my money on the console alone... ;) lol...

Thanks...

winning the war
01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
My family loves the darts game, and baseball (I haven't tried darts yet myself). The trauma surgeon games are fun, but you won't work up a sweat. We saved our pennies and bought a Dance Dance Revolution, which was super fun and got my heart rate going! Have fun!!

Jenny :o)

nelie
01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I was actually disappointed in how many games don't require you to move but.. did you know that you burn more calories standing up than sitting down? So if I do play any Wii games, I will stand up when I play them even if you can sit down to play them.

Kim_Star060404
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I was hesitant at first, but I do actually like the Dancing With The Stars game. You don't have to move that much to play, but I end up dancing my butt of anyways.

Twice
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
My son bought me a Wii for Christmas. I LOVE it. My kids have an Xbox 360. I buy all of our games previously played at our local Gamestop. New games are around 60.00. The same game previously played will probably cost 35-40.00. Older games are like 15 bucks!

My (previously played) Wii collection includes My Fitness Coach, Sonic, Mario Strikers Charged and Rayman. Rayman is a game of stupidly fun puzzles and I LOVE LOVE LOVE My Fitness Coach.

cbmare
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
One of the guys in this building got the skiing program for the Wii. He loves it.

We just heard a news thing lately that ERs are having more and more patients because of ankle sprains, etc. Be careful.

I think I want one now after reading some of your comments.

I've never been to Gamestop. I think there is one across the street. I may have to walk over there tomorrow after lunch and see if there is one.

Where is a good place to buy a Wii? How much should I look at spending?

paniania
01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Ravin' Rabids (sp?) It is absolutely, hilariously, odd and a blast to play.

cbmare
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Is this what I need to get started and is it a good price?

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=716700

nelie
01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
The Wii fit is an addition to the Wii. You'll need the Wii itself which can generally be found for $250 but that is with 1 controller and 1 nunchuck, I believe. If you want more than 1 person to play at a time, you will need to buy additional controllers and nunchucks (not every game uses the nunchuck but a lot do). If you have a Costco, they might have it, I've seen them there.

Edited to add: Gamestop has it for the normal price of $250 (ok $249). So here is what you want if you don't have a Wii yet.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63944

cbmare
01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks! I guess I have to go look at what is out there. It's amazing how much you don't know when you no longer have kids in the home.

nelie
01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't have any kids! My husband and I are big kids.

Twice
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
my kids arent allowed to touch my Wii :D

The game system will cost you around 250.00 but at Gamestop you can buy refurbished units for around 160. Trust me, you're going to want another controller and nunchuk. These games are 10x more fun with 2 or more people (especially the sport games like boxing & bowling). If you buy them in the store it's going to run you almost 40 bucks for the set. I bought mine from newegg.com, it was a lot cheaper and I got free shipping.

Wolf Goddess
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, some of these aren't very physically involved, but I can guarantee you that they're well worth the money:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Smash Brothers Brawl
Super Paper Mario
Okami
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

willow650
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
my kids arent allowed to touch my Wii :D

LOL my hubby and I got our Wii for a combined mothers day/fathers day gift.
the kids are rarely allowed to play with it.

Zen Pharmacy
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh man.

Just on regular games and not Wii games I jump around so much and try to contort my body by moving the control to get my dude to move in a direction it's ridiculous.

My husband says me playing any driving game is the funniest thing you've ever seen.

ddc
01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
We have the game Outdoor Challenge. It has a mat, similar to the DDR mat I think, that you stand on and have to touch different pads to the front, back and sides. I can't remember all the games, but there's a Whack-a-mole game on it and one where you're riding in a mine cart on a rail and you have to jump over gaps in the rail. It's active and can get your heart rate up.
To me, the boxing is the best for that though.

Amazon has the Outdoor Challenge for $50 right now (I paid $60 at Christmas).

There's a fitness guy's blog that I read regularly and he said he got Wii-itis in his shoulder from playing the tennis game. So be careful :)

beerab
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Mario party is a lot of fun- I think it's officially mario party 8- but we play that a lot in our household and it's so much fun- it's a boardgame with mini games. The object of the game is to get so many stars in a game. But between each "round" after everyone spins their dice and moves on the board- there is a mini game- they include things like playing baseball, cranking a flag up the pole, shooting darts, and so on- it's a BLAST.

Word of caution- stand far apart during the games lol ;)

purplecrush
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
My kids and I love Carnival Games!! Its like your at a Carnival! We also love Carnival games-Mini Golf...its soooo much fun!! Rayman is also really fun!

mayness
01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
This one doesn't necessarily require standing, but Boom Blox will give your "throwing" arm a good workout and it's super fun in groups (and absolutely adorable, thanks to Stephen Spielberg). Make sure children are wearing wrist straps for this one!

Mario Super Sluggers (the newest Mario baseball game) is really difficult to get the hang of, but requires plenty of movement. I can pitch ok, but I can NOT hit the ball most of the time.

I also had a lot of fun with Mario Party 8, and some of the mini-games in it are REALLY active. But NONE of our friends or relatives will play it with us! They just don't like it, I think because it requires reading the instructions on the mini games. :rolleyes:

On a side note, Wolf Goddess, some of those are super fun games. Did you finish Okami? What a strange story that turned out to be. And did you get teary-eyed at the end of Super Paper Mario, or am I just insane? :p I also cried when that little alien, Squirps, was reunited with his mother. :cry:

Wolf Goddess
01-13-2009, 09:05 PM
On a side note, Wolf Goddess, some of those are super fun games. Did you finish Okami? What a strange story that turned out to be. And did you get teary-eyed at the end of Super Paper Mario, or am I just insane? :p I also cried when that little alien, Squirps, was reunited with his mother. :cry:

It was very Japanese. I'm sure that if I were more familiar with their culture and legends, it would have made more sense, but as it is, the end still left me thinking "WTH?" It's one of the most unique games out there, though, not to mention most beautiful. And no, you're not. I was annoyed with him at first, but he still managed to make me cry.

cbmare
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
OK. I got jealous. I went out and bought a Wii and the Wii Fit.

I thought boobalah would be upset but he is excited to play some of the games. He can't right now because of his hand surgery last week. I bowled last night after my WATP workout. It was fun! After my WATP workout today, I think I'll try boxing.

I'll get the Fit part set up over the weekend.

Talina
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Has anyone tried DDR for the wii?
I'm thinking about pairing it with wii fit to get a better workout.

mudskippersgrl
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
wow, thanks everyone for your responces... :)

I've still mainly just been playing the wii sports games. My right arm is getting much more toned than my left arm. LOL! ;)

This weekend I'm going over to family's house and they have the wii fit, so I guess I'm going to try it over there and see how I like it.. then maybe get it?...

-And on a side note, I also got the Super Paper Mario game...
wow! Great game! Love the 3D flipping and all the new pixles and such :)

Twice
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Wii boxing is the most fun game I have ever played. I dont know about you guys but I assign my own names to my opponents. I know the game *gives* them names, but I dont use those

match #1.... ex husband
match #2.... ex boyfriend
match #3..... nosey neighbor next door lol

talk about stress relief!!

on a side note, if you're going to buy a fit, dont pay more than 100 bucks for it. I've seen some stores try to charge 160.00 for it because of how difficult it is to find. I tried ordering one from BestBuy.com Wednesday morning but they were out of stock. Every website that I went to was out of stock. About an hour later I went back to bestbuy.com planning to click the box that for email notifications when stock levels change. I was shocked when I saw that they were in stock again. I ordered it for 89.00 + tax and shipping it came to 106. I paid for regular shipping, not expedited and when I checked my order status this morning I saw that it's on the UPS truck for delivery today.

Twice
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I just got this in email today

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73027&affid=3002&WT.mc_id=012309nl

This looks interesting

willow650
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I just got this in email today

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73027&affid=3002&WT.mc_id=012309nl

This looks interesting

i think I want this

MaryEllen
01-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games always tires me out, because you have to simulate their moves, like running and swimming. It's an arm workout for sure.

I also would agree with DDR, it even has "Workout Mode". My brother did the equivalent of running 5 miles once, it's crazy.

And, as just a fun game, I highly recommend Guitar Hero 4. You don't even need the drums and mic, though they're fun too, but it's just a great game with a great setlist. I enjoy playing Bass.

mudskippersgrl
01-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I've tried the DDR for other systems and such... I look like a complete fool trying to figure it out! lol. But your right, defiantly can get your heart rate up... ;)

I've scene someone playing a running game for the wii... Was this for the wii fit? They weren't using the wii fit board though, they were just running with the wii remote...

Anyone know where I could find this running game? Or is it apart of the wii fit or something??

-THX-

Talina
01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
The running game is a part of wii fit. You can run by your self, or with a friend. I was impressed that held my attention just by watching the scenery. I normally despise anything like running.