Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Have you done a BUCKET LIST? Life's goals including weight loss/maintenance?

A book at the bookstore caught my eye and I went off (for one book) my money diet and bought it. It's called My Life List. It's a place to record and keep track of things to accomplish in life, the places to go and the person to become. A handy little goal organizer.

Did anyone see the movie Bucket LIst? In this set life goal mode I rented the movie tonight. it's a great story of a man dying of cancer who shares a hospital room with a rich man played by Jack Nicolas. Nicolas finds the dying man's life list and helps him achieve his dreams of traveling to places around the world and more. One by one they check off the bucket list.

So I'm creating my "bucket list." Of course it starts with "health" and weight loss as one major priority. I found various websites to help, and since the movie they've become popular. 43things.com, superviva.com, my50.com, learningtoloveyoumore.com, johngoddard.info and more. Plus there's a few books on my to read list - a new one called One Month to Live and another called No Opportunity Wasted which I found at my local library website tonight. Also a book I already have 1000 places to see before you die will provide inspiration for places I haven't yet been.

I'm now reading other's goals on the internet for inspiration as well. And I'm in the process of putting my goals into categories. My print book allows for 36 goals, and I'm thinking I might do a 36 goals in 36 months challenge or something. Plus at the back of the book I'll write down goals that will go on my "backburner" list. Or what David Allen calls a "someday/maybe" list of just ideas, and odds and ends. There's other ideas like 101 life goals. Or 50 things to do in a lifetime (my50.com). Or 1001 days to accomplish a list (http://triplux.com/dayzero).

Thus far on my rough draft list I have broken goals into categories:
1. Health - lose weight, maintain weight at under 160 lbs for the rest of my life once I reach this goal. Weight training - lift weights 3x per week to gain muscle for life
2. Languages - learn spanish and french
3. Reading - Read the classics and award winners (refine)
4. Writing - Publish article in national magazine, perhaps about health
5. Family - Get closer to siblings, quality time with boy
6. Marriage - well...
7. Education - get master's degree
8. Career - organize home business better, research career changes, going back to school, use David Allen GTD program
9. Spiritual - attend services regularly, volunteer, read entire Bible, daily quiet time, yoga/meditation practice, travel to Holy Land
10. Travel - to Isreal, Russia, India, S. America
11. Money - Pay off final debt, do Dave Ramsey Plan
12. Simplify life - use flylady.com program, declutter home room by room
13. Hobbies - learn guitar, learn to draw/paint

Hope this post helps inspire others to do this as well. I'm a bit thrilled about the idea, I've been in a rut lately, and getting fat attributed to this, thus the reason health is the number one goal. I'm finding that success in one area leads to success in other areas of life aren't you? I'm doing the Body for Life Plan and that's a part of the program, emphasizing learning these habits for life, and to apply the success to other areas.

Best wishes with your own bucket list! Off to finish my movie...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote