Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Spaghetti Squash??

View Full Version : Spaghetti Squash??

cooperistic
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Has anyone ever tried this? I heard if you have it with tomato sauce, it's supposed to taste just like spaghetti??

For those who have tried it, how did you cook it? What were your opinions?

Happy Friday All!!!

Lovely
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I didn't cook it myself, but my mom has made it.

It does taste very similar to spaghetti when topped with pasta sauce. (Of course, it has a squashy taste as well.)

I'm pretty sure she just cut the squash in half & baked it on a pan. Then she scooped out the insides and served it as pasta.

Glory87
01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey, I love spaghetti squash, I'm actually having it for dinner tonight. I love it, but it doesn't taste like pasta. It has a slightly crunchier texture. I love the fact that I can have a HUGE portion for a relatively small calorie count, it's very filling.

I am going to have it with home made spaghetti sauce tonight, with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. I put mine in a glass pan in the microwave (cut in half, guts scooped out, face down, with a little water) for about 15 minutes. When it's ready, I just use a fork to scrape out the strands.

I think if you expect it to be JUST LIKE spaghetti you might be disappointed, but if you expect a lower calorie, healthy, vegetable-rich dinner, you might like it!

It's also pretty, nice and yellow :) Looks very cheerful on the plate.

BillBlueEyes
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I love spaghetti squash. Served chili over it for my lunches a few weeks ago - just super.

I ditto Glory's comments; it doesn't taste like spaghetti to me, but is a wonderful base for any of the sauces you'd put over spaghetti.

I've also had it with a marinara sauce. Also very good that way.

midwife
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Spaghetti squash! :drool: I love it! I have it with tomato sauce and more veggies, or chili (like Bill) or beans and chile. So good!

JulieJ08
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's just like pasta. But it is quite tasty with marinara in its own right and nice and bulky.

Tealeaf
01-10-2009, 05:08 AM
I've found it's easier to deal with if you don't bother with cutting it in half when it's raw and hard. I just pierce one a few times with a knife, and pop the thing whole in the microwave on a plate. Nuke for ten to 15 minutes depending on size (your milage might vary based on the power of your oven), then cut in half, gut, and butcher to your liking.

Doesn't taste at all like pasta. But it does go well with pasta sauce. I'm very glad I decided to give this a whirl!

rockinrobin
01-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I agree with the others. It's not very pasta like, except that it has longish strands. It's very bland so it needs a strong sauce with it. I too love that I can eat LOTS of it for relatively little calories.

I too eat it with chillis. One of my favorite ways to have it - with sauteed onions, portabello mushrooms, bell pepper strips, lots of garlic and a bit of marinara sauce. Sometimes I'll add in chicken breast strips. Makes a great meal.

tryingitagain
01-10-2009, 08:48 AM
WE love Spagetti Squash!!! I cut in half and clean it, put it in a bakeing dish with a little water, cut side down, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. While it is cooking I put together my sauce with lots of veggies. When it is done use a fork to seperate the strands, and I put it right into the sauce. You can have quite a portion without much "cost" as it were....It is even very good warmed up, so can make extra for a side with a chicken breast the next day or so.....Happy eating!!!

jademarlene
01-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Love it!! I too think it taste nothing like pasta, it's better. I like it with a little bit of sauce and some parm cheese.

mountain mama
01-11-2009, 04:50 PM
i melt a couple triangles of laughing cow light cheese and some skim milk and lots of pepper.. its a nice cheesy sauce :)
Then i throw on some steamed brocolli and call it a meal!

thisisnotatest
01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
--

recidivist
01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Anyone ever tried it with pesto sauce? I've actually never seen it in the store, but will look for it, as I'd love to try it.

JulieJ08
01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I haven't tried it, but how could it possibly not be good with pesto??? :D

recidivist
01-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm so glad I read a thread here about the mufas. Now I get to include lots of great things in my diet I was avoiding. I have home made pesto sauce in my freezer and now need to get some spagetti squash so I can use it.:lol:

mazza
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
You know what reminds me of pasta? Yellow beans. I think that's what they're called...

I throw them into a tofu stir fry with tomato puree and it reminds me so much of pasta.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/todddumke1/IMG_0030.jpg

recidivist
01-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Yellow wax beans, I love them. And yes, it looks a lot like pasta, especially if you cut them julienne style. I have an old bean bean slicer just for doing that.

mazza
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Ooh a bean slicer - sounds neat. Do you have any favoured ways of preparing them, recidivist?

recidivist
01-12-2009, 12:57 AM
No not really. I just like them steamed and yet crisp, or added to stir fry.

the green bean slicer is an antique, and hand crank metal gizmo made in Germany. I had it for years without knowing what it was even for. Just kept it cause it was cute. It's great for making a beautiful colorful stir fry dish though. I run green beans, carrots, celery, and bell pepper strips through it so I have a mix of beautiful colors all in the long skinny shapes. I don't do it often though...it's a lot of work. Green beans go through it better than other veggies and take less prep time.

Stir fry is so much fun to play with. Can you tell I love to play with my food? :lol:

mazza
01-12-2009, 01:04 AM
A pan is like a canvas...the chef is the artist and the ingredients are the paint!

It's awesome you like to play with your food - whatever stops one from getting bored with food choices can't be a bad thing :)

jademarlene
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I just had it for dinner tonight and will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Does anyone have any good recipes for it other than with sauce?

One Fluffy Chick
01-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Cooperistic:
Don't know why, but when I made spaghetti squash, it reminded me of potatoes. Instead of pasta sauce the next day, I microwaved it as mentioned above, then I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself ;). (Note to self: add spaghetti squash to shopping list.)

JulieJ08
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Don't know why, but when I made spaghetti squash, it reminded me of potatoes. Instead of pasta sauce the next day, I microwaved it as mentioned above, then I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns.

Nice idea :)

zinkemomx2
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself ;). That sounds so good. The next one is getting hashed.

Usually I just pierce it a few times and toss in the microwave until soft. I top it with a tsp of Smart Balance and sprinkle on some nutritional yeast and pepper.