General chatter - Food Network: Favorite chef or showhost?

Lovely
01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Okay so I'm a little addicted to Food Network lately. Since I can't get food off of my mind, it's like I might as well watch someone make something incredible on TV.

Anyway, I've come to truly love & be inspired by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). She's so thoughtful about flavor, it's almost as if I can smell everything she makes. She uses a billion herbs. And everything she makes just ends up making sense to me in my head. Even for me she still uses a tad too much Olive Oil, but I know that if I just reduce that, and maybe change some things to fat free that her recipes are totally decadent.

Unfortunately her show seems to be surrounded by 'chefs' that I am a little prickly about. Sandra Lee *grawr* don't get me started. And Paula Deen, a woman who couldn't even get through a 'butter-free' episode without using butter.

But, I'm curious. What do you lads & ladies watch on Food Network? Have a favorite or very un-favorite chef?

mandalinn82
01-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I love Alton and Aida, because I'm sort of a food science geek. Also, I've never tried an Alton recipe that didn't turn out well (unlike some of the others).

Faerie, I join you in your Sandra Lee shuddering. But I want this t-shirt for my birthday: http://www.onehorseshy.com/cool/kwanzaa_cake?p=onehorseshy.336169350

bargoo
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I try to avoid food cooking shows, because it makes me want to eat.

Lovely
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
But I want this t-shirt for my birthday: http://www.onehorseshy.com/cool/kwanzaa_cake?p=onehorseshy.336169350

I am laughing my butt off right now! I have seen that episode and it was truly horrible. :rofl:

Oh, and also, I can't believe I forgot to mention Alton! <3 him.

heather88
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
The only food related show that I watch is chef ramsay's kitchen nightmares. I used to work in a kitchen and I like what he does to the overall staff and managment..puts them in their place!

FB
01-09-2009, 07:11 PM
OMG! Really? I looked at the shirt, thought to myself how offensive it was and then googled Kwanzaa Cake only to find a video on Food Network. Really? What is wrong with that lady?

I haven't watched Food Network in years, since my high school days. Back then it was Molto Mario and Emeril.

midwife
01-09-2009, 07:15 PM
That Kwanzaa cake episode took the cake....

I learned to cook from Alton Brown and Rachael Ray, but I don't watch them much anymore. I don't really watch any Food Network these days. The only cookbook I've opened in the last few months is Ina Garten's. She makes such classic yummy things with whole foods. I mean, watch the desserts and all, but olive oil and herbs are good for us!

mandalinn82
01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Nothing says "sensitive celebration of Kwanzaa" like giant candles and Corn nuts. Also canned apple pie filling.

I watch a LOT of Sandra Lee, actually, with an expression of abject disbelief on my face.

cbmare
01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
We like Alton. Ina is neat. She has an incredibly interesting background.

We're avid Iron Chef fans. I started watching in when it was on Japanese TV and subtitled. It gave me interesting stuff to discuss with my students.

midwife
01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
:rolleyes:
:barf:
:eek:
:shrug:
:sp:
:fr:
:faint:
:censored:
:lol3:

A brief review of Amanda's expressions during semi-homemade for your pleasure!

cbmare
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
:rofl:

Lovely
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
We used to watch Sandra Lee at work just to laugh... now, since I'm home alone I can't even turn it on, because I'll just be scoffing to myself.

FB - I remember Mario, always thought he was cute. :lol: Not exactly what one should be admiring a chef about, I suppose.

Midwife - The husband just got me one of her cookbooks for Christmas. I do truly love what she makes. And, oh yes, olive oil & herbs are great for us. But I have a tendency to overdo it with oil, so I always reel it back for recipes whenever I can.

I believe it was a repeat this evening, but she made some really great sounding beet salad with onions and oranges. I'll have to get the recipe to try it out.

Lovely
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Mare - Iron Chef is amazing! My friends & I even had our own Iron Chef competition that I got to judge.

:rolleyes:
:barf:
:eek:
:shrug:
:sp:
:fr:
:faint:
:censored:
:lol3:

A brief review of Amanda's expressions during semi-homemade for your pleasure!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cbmare
01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
We entered some appetizers in an IC competition. We won. Boy! That was a long long time ago. That was when there was a website ironchef.com here in the Bay Area. There were about 100 people on it and we would get together. Once Food Network got it, the website kinda went away because it was just too much for the person who started it.

cooperistic
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
My guilty pleasure is Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. However once I watch that show I have to realize I will be eating badly after because it makes me soooo hungry. The food all looks so good.

As for actual cooking shows, I hate Giada but she does cook good food. I like Rachel Ray's recipes, but my all time favorite is Nigella.

cbmare
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I can't stand Giada. Her head is too big for her scrawny body. Besides, I don't like Italian food, so all the more reason to not watch her.

I like Ellie and have tried a thing or 2 by her. You have to pick and choose.

I like Tyler and Guy. They really found a good marketable person in Guy when he won The Next Food Network Star. I like his Off The Hook.

misspiggy408
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I LOVE Paula Dean! I know, I know ... that woman never has any LOW CAL recipes! I just try not to watch her show hungry ... ;)

I like Bobby Flay - he knows his BBQ!

Dawnslight
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Although I don't cook since it's not smart for a clumsy person to be anywhere near sharp objects I do love my Food Network. Alton Brown is my personal favorite. I almost had the chance to see him in Chicago at one of the museums, but tickets sold out before I could get one. And that was after calling in two hours after they went on sale.

My other favs are Guy and Paula. It's not so much what Paula cooks but her personality. You can see that she loves life and I like that about her.

jules1216
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Guy.....I have an obsession....

misspiggy408
01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Does anybody like Ellie Krieger! Maybe I haven't embrased the right way to eat but I have yet seen her do anything I would like the recipe for.

Me neither!

FB
01-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Is Anthony Bourdain on Food Network? That man is a jerk (in a pompous way - you know?), yet compellingly sexy. Like me (JK!). Twisted, I think he's my TV crush.

cbmare
01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
He is now on Travel Channel doing No Reservations. He and Food had a big falling out. He is very good friends with Alton and Mario.

Chelby29
01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
No Reservations is my favorite cooking show -- not Food Network, I know. I love watching Driveins, Diners and Dives, but it makes me hungry.

Wolf Goddess
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I love Alton - he teaches you the why's of cooking, as well as the how to's.

Ina makes some really delicious and decadent foods, though some are a bit over my budget.

I like Giada's foods, but she seems so amazingly arrogant to me. I don't know why - she just gets on my nerves.

Racheal Ray is someone I can only take small doses of. Some of the things she makes are decent, some need to be cooked a a different, more time-consuming way, and others should be buried.

bargoo
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I cannot stand Rachel Ray, she is a grown woman , why can't she learn to say sandwich instead of "sammie" ?

JustSharing83
01-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I am a fan of Guy Fieri's - I love Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!! Bobby Flay can be alright as well. :)

O2Bthin
01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I watch Food Network a lot. My favorites are Racheal Ray and Sandra Lee. Ina Garten makes me tired listening to her talk. I like Giada though there are a lot of things she makes that I never would make. Paula Deen is very sincere and always happy. I agree she over does it on the butter, but she makes some ver appetizing foods.

Kathy

diary
01-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I used to like Paula Deen, but she seems a bit IDK shrill perhaps lately.

LOVE alton brown and guy fietti.... they are awesome.

GatorgalstuckinGA
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
alton all the way...i love him..i have a geeky celeb crush on him. I actually met him once..he lives here in the town i live and ran into him at the BMW motorcycle shop when i was looking for some gear. He's really a nice guy in person and we got to chat for a few. Although, i really wish he would cut his hair in those darn welch's commercials....he's looking a bit like he's got a comb over which isn't attractive LOL

Lovely
01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Is Anthony Bourdain on Food Network? That man is a jerk (in a pompous way - you know?), yet compellingly sexy. Like me (JK!). Twisted, I think he's my TV crush.

He is pompous. But, he has some good tastes in food.

My guilty pleasure is Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

I watch that with my Mom sometimes. We love to watch it, but ditto on it making us a little too hungry for greasy foods.

I love Alton - he teaches you the why's of cooking, as well as the how to's.

Ina makes some really delicious and decadent foods, though some are a bit over my budget.

Definitely yes about Alton. I love his explanations.

I don't have the money to cook exactly like Ina! If only :)

I cannot stand Rachel Ray, she is a grown woman , why can't she learn to say sandwich instead of "sammie" ?

Yeah... she's hit or miss with me. I think the thing that always irked me was that she'd say EVOO... but then explain that it meant Extra Virgin Olive Oil every single time she said it... completely nulling the whole reason for using EVOO in the first place. I do enjoy typing it since it's easier, though.

wantingtolose
01-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I love food network! I miss watching it (no cable right now), i can't watch rachel ray or sandra lee ever. They are both too irritating. Sandra lee doesn't even cook, she just assembles stuff from cans and boxes, and makes alcholic beverages :) Oh yeah, and tablescapes. Rachel ray needs to learn to speak properly, it grates on my nerves!
I like robin miller and i have a cookbook of hers, she makes things i actually cook and she has a lot of kid friendly, budget friendly recipes.
I love ina garten, but i don't have the time to cook like she does all the time. Her food always looks so good though, even if it is something i know i would never eat.
Paula deen is cool, nothing healthy on that show, my goodness that woman puts butter in everything!

I wanted to go to culinary school for a long time, so i love watching most of them.

PearFreak
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I am am Food Network Fanatic.... gotta watch my FN. I really like Guy, Bobby Flay and Alton. I like watching Iron Chef too. Love the 60 minutes to prepare those plates... I know I couldn't do that, but enjoy the thrill and creativity they spill out in such a short amount of time.

cbmare
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I used to like Paula Deen, but she seems a bit IDK shrill perhaps lately.

LOVE alton brown and guy fietti.... they are awesome.

OK. I'm stupid. What is IDK?

I'm really looking forward to Chopped. It's another cooking competition with Ted Allen. Starts tomorrow.

MindiV
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm a Food Network addict...even the people I don't like, I watch.

I like Guy's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It doesn't make me hungry for the bad food as much as it makes me marvel at the fact that people actually EAT that stuff....like a cheeseburger with an entire POUND of cheese on it. Just gross, in an oddly good way...

I'm in the minority that LIKES Sandra Lee. I LOVE the fact that she uses things from cans and boxes in her meals, because it's stuff I can actually make.

Paula. It's weird...if you watch some of her older shows, her accent isn't nearly as pronounced as it is now. I lost all like for her, in general, when I saw her put butter into a hamburger. Then the way she treated the contestants when she was a judge on one of those cooking contest shows (Top Chef or maybe The Next Food Network Star) was just uncalled for. Haven't liked her since.

Alton...his homemade waffle recipe broke me of ever buying frozen or packaged mixes again.

Rachael Ray....she's ok. I wouldn't make half the stuff she makes, but I like watching her put things together. It's crazy...you NEVER see her take bites of the chicken she cooks in "30 minutes." And she never swallows anything.

Giada...too much boobage. I learned to make a to-die-for potato pancake on her show, though.

Lovely
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
What is IDK?

I'm really looking forward to Chopped. It's another cooking competition with Ted Allen. Starts tomorrow.

IDK = I don't know.

I like the cooking competition shows. I'll have to check Chopped out.

cbmare
01-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Paula. It's weird...if you watch some of her older shows, her accent isn't nearly as pronounced as it is now. I lost all like for her, in general, when I saw her put butter into a hamburger. Then the way she treated the contestants when she was a judge on one of those cooking contest shows (Top Chef or maybe The Next Food Network Star) was just uncalled for. Haven't liked her since.

It was The Next Food Network Star. Top Chef is on Bravo. What did she do that caused you to dislike her? I remember her speaking with the group when Guy was a contestant and she just asked them to remain themselves and not become divas.

MindiV
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Cbmare...I guess it just hit me wrong...my husband didn't see a problem with it. She just tasted two of the three contestants' dishes and totally trashed them...like that was the worst thing she'd ever eaten in her life, or could hardly swallow or something. I don't know why it hit me wrong...maybe just because on her show she's this nice, sweet, bubbly person and BAM...just mean with the comments. There's really no explaining it, on my end...just crazy me, I guess...:)

cbmare
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I've heard people say things that rub me the wrong way and I just can't get over the hurdle to give them a second chance. I understand.

MindiV
01-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Some of my favorite things to watch are the Challenges and Iron Chef America. The challenges are just cool...watching some guy make a 10 foot tall sculpture out of sugar or something is just neat. And Iron Chef...I mean, I wouldn't in a billion years eat sea urchin ice cream, or a lot of the weird stuff they come up with on there, but it's just awesome watching them make it...

MiaRocks
03-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Dinners Drive ins and Dives

prinny
03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
ALTON ALTON ALTON & ALTON.

I actually actively dislike pretty much every other host to varying degrees, some to the point of loathing.

harrismm
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I love Bobby!Have eaten at many of his restaurants.Love his food!!!

icandoallthings6613
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Nigella Lawson!! She's very unpretentious and all her food looks delicious (every recipe of hers I've done has turned out well).

And I also like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

lizziep
03-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Nigella Lawson is my favorite too. She makes amazing and comforting food and she seems like she really enjoys life. She is the ultimate in sexy in my opinion. Well- her and Anthony Bourdain. He's so foul- but somehow sexy too. As my friend put it- I'd have all his foul-mouthed diseased little babies. lol.

I always liked Tyler, Jaime, and Alton too. I really enjoyed the two seasons I saw of the travel show that Alton did.

I don't have food network anymore, which is probably a good thing because it does make me want to eat eat eat!

Honestly my favorite cooking show is America's Test Kitchen on PBS. I trust their reviews of products and taste tests have never let me down. If they chose it- and it's something I use- I'll buy their pick. The food they make is amazing and I've tried several recipes.

mandalinn82
03-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Honestly my favorite cooking show is America's Test Kitchen on PBS. I trust their reviews of products and taste tests have never let me down. If they chose it- and it's something I use- I'll buy their pick. The food they make is amazing and I've tried several recipes.

Ditto! I have one of their cookbooks, and it is a go-to reference.

MindiV
03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
The other day my husband was watching Paula Deen....and she used SEVEN CUPS of powdered sugar in one batch of cake icing. For one cake. SEVEN CUPS. I've just never gotten over that....after doing the math that's nearly 3,000 calories in icing alone. Wow.

lizziep
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah I used to enjoy watching Paula Deen and thinking that her food looked soooo delicious. Now I'm a little grossed out. I'm actually glad I don't have the food network anymore.

time2lose
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Another vote for Alton Brown!

How do those celebrity chefs stay as small as they are?