Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Lightbulb I thought this was a great idea!

Last night I had dinner with a large group of people that I'm on a board with. One of the other members runs a health management company and is a trainer, so I'm always looking to see what choices he makes, just out of curiosity. He did the smartest thing last night. He ordered dessert, which sort of surprised me, but as soon as it arrived, he asked the waitress for a box, and said "I want to take half home to my wife".

I just thought that was brilliant. What a nice way to have dessert, not too much, and bring home something sweet to your spouse.

Just had to share...
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

that's a great thing to do actually! and it shows so much will power too. i wish i could do that...
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #3  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
I could do that.......if only I had someone to take the other half too. Maybe I could try to put an order in for that also.
I hear you on that one. I need an upgrade.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's also a nice approach if just don't want the other half but don't want to invite commentary on your choices.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I've done that, but taking home to DH. Like Julie said, it helped with the "why aren't you finishing that" chitchat that always comes up in the group I was with... Like I was breaking the rules by not eating all of my dessert. Or, heaven forbid, not ordering any!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #6  
Backpedaling!!

Ugh totally agree. I think it's so rude to comment on what someone chose to order at a restaurant, UNLESS that person has asked you to hold them accountable for their choices in their weight loss journey. Then, of course, it's acceptable. My grandfather has criticised me for eating at all almost every time I've seen him for the last few years and I have had to bite my tongue so hard not to point out that he is significantly overweight him self and I see him making bad food choices all the time. I actually have skipped meals with the family when he was around before, and opted to go for a walk instead until I was sure the meal would be over, and he couldn't seem to understand that it was because of his comments.

The wierdest thing he ever said was that I was so fat/had gained so much weight, he mistook me for my sister. Which makes absolutely NO SENSE because she has always been at least 60 lbs thinner than me, we don't look particularly alike, and he has never said a word to her about her weight, that I know of. Whatever.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #7  
Backpedaling!!

LOL I totally forgot what it's like to be criticised/teased/noticed for NOT taking dessert. wow.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Mahalia ~ That's a great idea; one way to cut the size down, but enjoy yourself too; that would also be a good idea for those extra-large portions of dinner that you don't want to eat as well.

FRESH ~ you should have told your GF, 'Gee thanks Grampy, she looks great,' and then walk away. Maybe practice short quips like that for the future, so you won't be taken off guard; and don't skip meals with your family becuz of one rude person, just find a spot as far away from him as possible, and ignore him when he speaks, giving all your attention to your kind family members around you ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
It's also a nice approach if just don't want the other half but don't want to invite commentary on your choices.
BTW, I did NOT mean one would be actually inviting commentary. Just that others would invite themselves .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

The last two times my husband and I have eaten out, I've deliberately eaten only half my entree. I didn't put it in a box right away, but the plan going in was definitely to eat only half. Then I took the food home, and the next day my husband ate it for me.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can ask for a box to take some home. The waitress doesn't care if you don't have someone at home to take it to. I have even stopped and given a doggie bag to a homeless person and they appreciate it and I don't wear it on my hips.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
BTW, I did NOT mean one would be actually inviting commentary. Just that others would invite themselves .
Oh, I knew what you meant on that - my peer group saw any deviation from the norm as an invitation to comment (read: criticize)... All the time... Not my peer group anymore...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

The last time my ex-bf and I went out for dinner (we're just friends now btw) we shared dessert. I let him eat most of it hence saving calories and fat for me.

I'll do the same thing with the new bf...whenever I get one.

I also find sharing a dessert kind of romantic.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #14  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I share desserts with friends. Sometimes more than one friend. We all get a bit but no one has to eat it all.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote