Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #1  
Dorm Dieter

Default Sudden Weight Change?

I don't know if it's me or the scale!

I don't feel fatter, in fact I feel quite thin today, especially after my workout today, but my scale tells me i'm back at 210. perhaps i'm weighing myself too much, or it's the food, or i've actually put those 4 pounds back on! What's you guys' opinion?
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Ive been having the same problem and ive actually upped my exercise... So im guessing and HOPING its all water weight.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think we pay a little too much attention to the scale sometimes. We give it too much power! Maybe you HAVE lost fat and are retaining water! It would be impossible to know!

Enjoy how you're feeling, stick to your plan, and don't let the scale get you down!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hm... can't really tell because you don't say what you're eating. My guess would be that it's water weight. It's easy for weight to fluctuate that much just in the course of a day. But, it's only a guess because there isn't much information.

My suggestion would be that you weigh yourself no more than once a day, preferably in the morning before you drink any water (and after peeing). Stay off the scale in between.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #5  
Dorm Dieter

i did have dinner only 2 hours prior, and i'd been sipping water to stave off hunger at least until snacktime. That may have been it!
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

As everyone else has said, it is probably water weight. At times I can carry about 6lbs of water weight and it boggles my mind!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I ONLY weigh myself in the morning right after I go to the bathroom.

When my sister was trying to lose weight she would weigh herself a million times a day then get mad when the weight was up- I finally was like that's enough- just weigh in in the morning and that's it- you've eaten, you've had something to drink, and so on!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I would tend to say it's food/water weight. You had just eaten, so that food is in your belly/system and of course, the water you've been drinking does have weight to it. I agree with the others, you should only weigh during the mornings before eating or drinking anything and before showering. Generally, your body will soak up at least a pound of water in your pores until your skin dries out. It never fails with me. I weigh before the shower, 157...after the shower 158 (or whatever i am weighing at the time).

And start taking measurements. That's the true test over weight.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggamouse View Post
i did have dinner only 2 hours prior, and i'd been sipping water to stave off hunger at least until snacktime. That may have been it!
Well, there you go. That extra weight is the weight of the dinner and water you ate and drank. I NEVER, EVER, EVER weight myself after I eat or drink anything. (I used to, and failed at all those weight-loss efforts.) Just thinking about how nuts that would make me is making me feel like an anexiety attack is coming on ...It's not worth the stress. Right now I weigh once a week, in the morning after I use the restroom. When I enter maintenance I will probably have to more often until I figure out how much food I can eat to remain the same weight day after day, but even then, it's not going to be a few hours after eatting dinner...it will be in the morning, first thing.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #10  
Workin' It

I filled up my water bottle once and weighed it, then weighed it empty and the water itself weighed almost five pounds. (big water bottle. ) Before that, I never thought about the weight of what I actually consumed. If you had just eaten dinner and had some liquid, the difference was almost positively the meal itself.

I do sometimes weigh myself more than once per day, but I have a pretty good pattern in my head of how much it will differ at different day points. I would say only weigh once per day or if you must weigh multiple times at different points daily track every single time for a week or so to see the patterns emerge. It will surprise you how much things fluctuate!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #11  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Like others here have said before me, weight fluctuates all the time. I sometimes weigh myself in the evenings just for the heck of it (I know how much my weight fluctuates on a daily basis). I weigh myself every morning. I'm NOT even kidding or exaggerating when I say it's perfectly normal for me to "lose" 4 or 5 pounds overnight.

Even day to day I fluctuate. This morning I weighed in at 154, yesterday I was 155.5, before that I was 154.5. So I take the average of a few days in a row before I determine what my "current" weight is. If I maintain at 154/155 for a week straight I've achieved my short term goal. Next goal: 150!
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote