LA Weight Loss - From LAWL to WW: Making the Switch

amylou7777
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi guys, so I know there are a small number of us who have officially signed on for Weight Watchers. I have been doing it strictly online and have been following the points program. So far I've lost about 6lbs since i started countin points. It is definitely more lenient than LAWL but you really have to watch your portions.

The online site has a point tracker system. You search for the food you want to enter and then enter the amount and it computes the points. Many brands and restaurants are already listed, making it very easy to know exactly how many points you are eating. If your food is not listed, simply enter in the cals/fat and fiber and it will give you the estimated points.

The format is a lot like fitday.

There is also a section to log your activity points. Many different activities are listed, you enter in the duration of the activity and it computes the points.

You have points on "reserve" every week, you tap in to those points if you happen to go "over" your allocated points in a single day. You may also tap into your activity points if you happen to go over.

There really is no failing.

Let us know if you have questions. I think I paid $60 for 3mos and that includes meetings if I so choose.

This is not an endorsement or ad, but I know that many of you may be looking for a new program, and I'd love to share my knowledge with you so you can make the best decision for you!

JerseyMadchen
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Amylou! I thought the same thing about making a post for us WW-newbies!

I am so excited to start! I go food shopping tomorrow!

This is a great place to vent!

amylou7777
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I know you were curious about menus so here are a few ideas that will work for any healthy lifestyle program, but have worked great for WW.

Spinach Smoothie (i know-gag right?)

1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2- cup plain FF yogurt
hand full of frozen berries and or banana
splash of OJ (enough to cover) about 1/2 cup

I use my bullet blender, regular blender would work.

Smash spinach in bottom of cup/pitcher. Add yogurt, berries and cover with OJ. Blend and enjoy! Yum-great way to secretly get a veg. Believe me it is delish! It might be green, but the berries and the OJ are the only thing you taste!

About 2-3 pts depending on your measurements and brands!

AndreaMarie
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
There's a cookbook called HUNGRY GIRL that has awesome recipes in it that are WW friendly. It actually already breaks down each recipe and tells you the point value and the food is super easy to make!

Kimphin
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
There is also a website for Hungry Girl - She's great!

I've been getting her daily newsletter for years. I've gotten a lot of good stuff from there. It's hungry-girl.com

jewljz
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
mypyramid.gov also has a tracker for food intake and some analysis on what you log.

amylou7777
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I've looked at hungry girl a few times but I need to go on there and really look around! I love that she has the points listed!

bradleys mom
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I've looked at hungry girl a few times but I need to go on there and really look around! I love that she has the points listed!

Now that got my attention!!

JerseyMadchen
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey guys..

Regarding Hungry Girl... I just looked it up on a few sites and it is cheapest at Walmart, $9. That's cheaper than eBay!!!

I am getting mine today!

cecil
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
This site was my FAV when I did WW http://www.dwlz.com/

Joni135
01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Another great site for recipes is http://www.aimeesadventures.com/Recipes.html

You get pictures with each recipe...points, calories, etc. I actually bought the hard copy of the first book she wrote and it's probably one cookbook I use the most (including recipes for things like KFC's cole slaw or cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster, etc.). I just looked at her newest recipes and saw a couple I liked..Here's an example...1 WW point.

Best Ever Baked Apples

4 Small Sweet Apples, quartered
6-8 oz. Black Cherry Diet Cola
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
6 Packets Splenda
Cinnamon to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the apples, flesh side down in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Sprinkle with Splenda and brown sugar. Pour the cola on top. Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until tender.

Serves: 4
Per Serving: 96 Calories; trace Fat (4.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 8mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
WWP: 1 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)

Lovely
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Don't forget that there's a whole section for Weight Watchers here at 3FC, too. Recipe sections, and a wealth of knowledge from some of the ladies who have been following WW for awhile. :)

I've found great success with the program, and I hope you ladies do, too!

ChefsGirl
01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone!! I'm a WW now too! Good to see you guys. The LAWL support group on this site rocks & I miss everyone now that I've defected from the program.

Kimphin
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Jill! - WW or not, stop by and chat with us! Good to 'see' you!

chiquita623
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I've also gone over to "the other side" and joined WW. But I still lurk and check in with you all.

ChefsGirl
01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
So what are the thoughts of the 2 plans?

I am so glad I did LAWL last year b/c it really forced me to change my eating habits. Because of the 30 day Express deal I had to figure out how to eat lean meats, veggies etc. I remember in January last year on LAWL that I felt better than I ever have in my life.

I'm incorporating all of those good habits into the WW plan, which is most definately what is making it different for me this time around. Also, I'm doing the At-Home Program b/c I think that weighing in & the WW meetings really freaked me out.

This time on WW I'm actually paying attention to the good health guidelines. I am totally guilty of eating junk in smaller portions in past attempts at this plan. I was always hungry because I wasn't getting proper nutrition.

Long story short (yeah right!) I'm kind of blending the plans & I honestly don't even feel like I'm dieting. I just feel like I'm eating healthy & living my life!

Love it!

Oh, and even tho I quit LAWL I must say that this was the 1st year in over a decade where my starting weight for the year was lower than it was the year before. THAT I completely owe to LAWL b/c even tho I fell of the wagon I was WAY more conscious of my eating than I have ever been. I made lots of lifelong changes last year. So props to LAWL!!

amylou7777
01-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Jill! It's really good to see your post. I'm so glad you are finding success with WW. I have to admit that I wish I were using more of my LAWL knowledge with WW. WW is a lot easier, but I know I would be losing faster if I were eliminating some of those extra carbs. I'm workin' on it!

I know there is a WW forum on 3FC, but I've really found a home here on the LAWL boards, and I intend to stay. I'll browse the other threads for recipes or quick point stuff, but I plan on staying here!

How is everyone doing?

jersAmy-I'm so glad you finally got your scale back! Let's do this!!

ChefsGirl
01-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I hear ya Amy! The LAWL group is really a bunch of special ladies & men (Dan!)

I always think of Dan whenever I tell people that I gave up salt last year....is he still the "salt police?"

Kimphin
01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh yes, we try not to provoke the salt monster too much, though.

JerseyMadchen
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey guys!

I understand how it would be easy to manipulate WW... Let's NOT do that. I was thinking the other day that I need to think of this what it is, a lifestyle change. It's so funny, their slogan is true... Diets don't work...

The great thing about WW is that you can eat what you want just in MODERATION. And it incorporates healthy foods into a diet.

My problem is not eatting all my points. I was short 1.5 yesterday which isn't bad, but I know I won't be able to eat my activity points and my extra 35.

How many points do you guys have?? I have 31...

ChefsGirl
01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I have 41. I always eat all of them & most of my points allowance.

What can I say? I love food! Obviously......

One thing that is new to me tho is I am waking up in the morning starving! It passes after little while. I suppose that's a good sign, that during the night I started dipping into the fat reserve.

JerseyMadchen
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
It's funny, so am I. THey want me to track my hunger and I feel bad saying that I am HUNGRY when I wake up. I am very satisfied throughout the day though.

For dinner tonight I made a Quiche out of a WW cookbook. AMAZING. SOOOO GOOD! WIth it I made a salad of mixed greens and dried cranberries with a balsamic vinagrette. For dessert, FF Jello Pudding with WHipped CREAM! I thought I died and went to heaven!

Hope you guys are doing well!

ChefsGirl
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Me too! I'm good to go all day long. I was starting to feel hungry this afternoon & I was like "well silly girl eat something then!" I had like 20 pts left for the day, it's like there's still a piece of me that thinks I have to suffer.

Quiche huh? One of the cookbooks came w/ my At-Home Package & I haven't even opened it yet. I'm sure I'll get into it when I start to get bored but as of Week 4, I haven't yet. I seriously learned to cook when I was on LAWL & I'm pretty much eating the same foods I was then, just w/ a little extra umph if you know what I mean.

That salad sounds alot like one of my faves, dried cranberries, walnuts, romaine & iceberg, cucumber & rasberry vin dressing. YUMMY!

We had homemade taco salads for dinner w/ lean ground beef. Taco Tuesday!

I planned to have a skinny cow for desert later & that should be it for the day. Those things are lifesavers for me.

I've been on track for so many days in a row I've lost count :)

JerseyMadchen
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Congrats Jill! How much have you lost since being on WW? 22lb??

(I just need some motivation and I love seeing that it works!)

ChefsGirl
01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I wish!

22 is what I've lost since my highest weight last January when I started LAWL.

I've lost 8 lbs on WW so far, since December 20th. I could lose more but I give myself days off here or there to give myself a break. I know this is going to be a LONG haul. I shoot for 2 lbs a week, so far so good!

SoulSista
01-14-2009, 12:32 AM
I have 41. I always eat all of them & most of my points allowance.

What can I say? I love food! Obviously......

One thing that is new to me tho is I am waking up in the morning starving! It passes after little while. I suppose that's a good sign, that during the night I started dipping into the fat reserve.

Jill I was watching Ali from the Biggest Loser and she said that at the ranch you would have to eat something within 30 mins from the time that you wake up to get your metabolism going. If you think about it I guess you really should because when your sleep for 8 hours your not eating. How often do we go 8 hours without eating? I guess it would be ok to wake up hungry then.

JerseyMadchen
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey guys! Just checking in. Was kind of bad tonight, had 5 pieces of pizza. They were really thin and I was STARVING. I am going to have to dip into my reserve points!

I made Pumpkin Apple Bread today. Was not a hit. The bread was really wet and DEFINITELY needed the powdered sugar that was called for on top.

How's everyone else doing??

ChefsGirl
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Hmm........30 minutes huh? I'm lucky if I've made it to the shower by then. Sounds like something to strive for. I usually get breakfast as soon as I get to work, about 2 hours after I get up.

Hey Amy, you weren't bad as long as you counted your points! The beauty of WW :)

I bought Perkins muffings for a co-worker's birthday this morning & halfway thro it I was like "what am I doing I am totally cheating!" But then I realized that I had already planned for it & counted the points. My mind was playing tricks on me.

Has anyone had the 100 cal hostess snacks? We went grocery shopping today & they were on sale. OMG! They are so good & only 1 point for the chocolate cupcakes.

Had some carrots & celery for a snack.

Chicken Caesar Salad for dinner. Really good w/ some leftover chicken I made on Monday.

Right now snacking on some low fat popcorn & getting ready to watch a movie w/ the DF.

Good day!

Kristinx
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I wish!

22 is what I've lost since my highest weight last January when I started LAWL.

I've lost 8 lbs on WW so far, since December 20th. I could lose more but I give myself days off here or there to give myself a break. I know this is going to be a LONG haul. I shoot for 2 lbs a week, so far so good!

When I did weight watchers I found I actually did better having one "cheat" day a week. Like it boosted my metabolism to take in extra calories for a day. Problem was I wasn't so good at keeping it to one day....Cheats became every Friday night, Saturday and Sunday...hence I plateaued for months...and eventually gained it all back.

Have any of you tried the no counting plan? My sister did it and lost 90 lbs in less than a year...and kept it off for over 2 years...till she got pregnant and even pregnant never gained that much...it's a great plan if you like the allowable foods....I just didn't so never ate enough on it

amylou7777
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Kristin-I originally signed up online to do the alternative non-point plan. I was really hesitant to do the pts bc I just didn't think it was as healthy as LAWL. I tried for one day to do the other plan and couldn't even last 1 day! It was just too limiting for my lifestyle.

I definitely feel like I'm losing much slower on WW. I know that the extra carbs that I fit into my points are what slow me down. But I agree that it really is a gradual lifestyle change, rather than a real diet.

Now that i finally have a handle on my points and how to portion them throughout the day, I'm going to step up my game and make better choices for myself. Not a TO or anything, but consciously choosing high fiber starches rather than allowing sweeter options and heavy breads to take up my points.

I made my spinach smoothie this morning. SOmeone tried it and said they could taste the spinach? I think you need to add more fruit! I put in a whole cup of frozen mixed berries and a heavy splash of OJ and I don't taste the spinach at all.

I was on the road at lunch so I settled for a carl's jr. charbroiled chicken salad (6pts). I removed the cheese, but the house dressing was 6pts for the packet!! Good thing I only had half of it. No croutons of course.

I also am completely addicted to the Fiber One granola bars (2pts) they are really filling and so easy to bring with me on the road.

GL guys!!

JerseyMadchen
01-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I realized since this is a lifestyle change, I am not going to lose as fast as LAWL. This thought also fuelsme to exercise more though. The moreI exercise, the faster I will lose!

SoulSista
01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm on the fence about joining WW. I always hated counting those darn points but since the LA office closed here I haven't had as much success. After reading the posts here I am seriously thinking about it. I don't know if I will go into the center though because I don't like how they will charge you extra for not coming.

I've started trying to run on the treadmill. I figure if the people on the Biggest Loser can run then so can I. It's hard though so I'm starting out in 30seconds increments. I WANT THIS FAT GONE!!!!

Jill I tried the Hostess 100 cakes. I have the coffee cakes and YES they are good but OMG they are soooooooooooooooooo small.

ChefsGirl
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
I think the no counting (Core) is very similar to LAWL. Which I totally needed when I did it last year b/c apparently nobody ever taught me how to eat! It was good for me short term, but I can’t stick to it long enough. I get really bad food cravings & could never seem to find the right things to quench them. Everyone kept telling me just to stick to it & the food cravings would go away. Not so much.

I do eat mostly from the Core foods list (Simply Filling). I just feel better this way & don’t feel like I’m abusing the plan by eating lots of low-cal junk. Plus I learned on LAWL that I get really hungry & feel like crap if I’m not eating mostly natural foods. It’s like my body tells me to “get real” or something.

One of my friends that has been very successful in weight loss told me that she totally believes in “cheat” days but you have to earn them. She would take Sunday off if she went to the gym Mon-Sat. I only allow myself to have it if I’ve met my weight loss goal of 2 lbs/week. If I haven’t seen that lower number, it’s on the wagon I stay! It works for me, but I can totally see how it could become a problem.

I actually lose better on WW than I did on LAWL. I remember after 2 weeks I had only lost a couple of pounds on LA & I was so upset b/c I really felt like I had made such extreme changes to my diet & should’ve lost more.

Hey Soulsista – I got the WW At-Home program. It’s actually working better for me than going to the meetings. I used to get really annoyed at the meetings……that’s a whole different post tho. I get much better support on here.

SoulSista
01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
JRCATON....Thanks for the encouragement. I think cheat days will be good for me because When I fall off of the wagon....I REALLY fall off of the wagon.

JerseyMadchen
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Ok guys, I am eatting the most amazing salad ever! It's from Hungry Girl and is 3 points...

It's called the Cheeseburger Chop...

It tastes just like the book says, a Big Mac in a bowl. WOW. It's a veggie burger with a piece of melted American cheese on it cut up and mixed with lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber. It's topped off with a thousand island type dressing.

I RECOMMEND IT!! And I HATE salads.

cecil
01-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow! That does sound good!

dawn78
01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Is there a recipe for the dressing? If so, can you post it? Thanks!

ChefsGirl
01-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Yums! That does sound good! I've been a salad eating fiend lately! Taco salads, caeser salads, side salads w/ ranch, cranberry walnut salads........every day this week!

& this is from the girl who used to order all food w/ no lettuce!!

JerseyMadchen
01-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Dawn- the dressing just said equal parts FF mayonnaise, ketchup and dijonnaise. I actually added a little sweet relish too. YUM! I didn't have dijonnaise, so I just mixed dijon mustard with mayonnaise. It works...

JerseyMadchen
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,

How are you doing??

I need to buy a new scale as I literally got 5-6 different #s on my weigh-in yesterday. I recorded the highest number though (244) so that when I lose next week it will be even bigger!

JerseyMadchen
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Ha, at my old house I would store my scale on top of the dryer and well the heat and shaking damaged it I believe.

ChefsGirl
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not doing so hot! I fell off the wagon BAD yesterday & had a full out binge. I was SO mad at myself when I weighed in to assess the damage this morning. It was totally emotional eating. I kind of thought I was over all that, guess not.

So far so good today. Had a great high protein breakfast & need to start getting some fruits & veggies in for the day. We're making taco salads for dinner so I'm looking forward to that.

Also looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow & back into a routine. Things have been total chaos at home.

amylou7777
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Hang in there guys. Today is Jan 21-I've been doing WW seriously since the first, but have had some slip ups. Remember we're in it for the long haul. Take your cheats, your binges and learn from them. Think about why they happened and what triggered you to fall off the wagon. No sense in beating yourself up, but remember you always have the opportunity to change and learn from your indescretions.

I'm a little dissapointed in how slow the scale is moving, so I've stepped it up and am really focusing on filling foods and high fiber carbs.

Let's get through this month with a nice loss ladies!

JerseyMadchen
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey guys!

How are you all doing? How's WW treating you? THe scale??

Just wanted to check in with you. I made an AWESOME WW Linguine Alfredo last night. KILLER.

Hope all is well!

ChefsGirl
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Amy!

Doing well on plan, I hit the 10 lb lost since I started on December 20th. I'm feeling pretty good about that.

You are such a little cook......I had frozen pizza w/ a big salad tonite. To me, throwing some vegetables on a plate is cooking!

Linguine Alfredo sounds YUMS!!!