Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/232/145

Height: 5'5

Default I'm drowning...

I am having soooo many problems starting my diet! Anyone got any good advice on how to say no?? I feel like I have let myself get so out of control that I am never going to be able to regain control over my terrible eating addiction! Anything that anyone has to say is much appreciated! Thanks!
Amy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #2  
I will do this.

Start with little steps!

Don't try to take over the world in one day!! Try little things.

Workout for 20 minutes a few times a week.
The next week cut out 200 calories per day or that extra snack you don't need
....etc...etc....etc...

Also - start drinking lots of water and writing down everything EVERYTHING you eat...good or bad.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #3  

Taylor86 Thank you! I am in the dumps today... Tomorrow I will try again...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #4  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

What is your plan ? That might help us get started.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

One day at a time, like Taylor said. If I think about having to lose 38 more pounds, I want to quit & eat a donut! If I think about not going into the fridge & drinking a Dr Pepper & grabbing some cheetos, then I have done my part for the day. Sometimes I have to take it one hour at a time because I am struggling so much. We're all here for you though. Just come find one of us & we'll talk you down from a ledge!
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #6  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I have the same problem...I can't say no. The worst was when I worked in the office and someone would bring something sweet to eat. I'm addicted to sweets and carbs. I find that taking small steps is best. Today I was starving and wanted lunch, but instead of having fast food, I waited 10 minutes more, got home, and made myself a chicken & veggie wrap. The whole meal was 400 calories, where I would have had three times that amount if I went to McD's or Wendy's.

It's little changes like these that will make the difference. Good luck!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #7  

RN BSN 2009- I don't really have a game plan. Maybe that's some of what's wrong. I am drinking water only. I just have a terrible problem with resisting carbs. I honestly think that it's just a habit that I have picked up that has now turned into a nightmare! If you have any diet ideas that you don't think will KILL me and a new dieter can take on, please pass the tips on over!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #8  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I do weight watchers without the meetings or online. I went and bought my materials on ebay for about $60. I love weight watchers, I can eat literally anything I want to but I am just accountable for what I eat in my daily points total. It for me is the "easiest" diet I have ever been on, and it makes allowances for life because life happens. Birthdays, graduations, dinner out with the girls, or the night you break up with your bf and you eat 3 pints of double chocolate moose tracks ice cream.

Alot, of people on here do calorie counting, I would think its the easiest/cheapest way in terms of initial investment of a diet if cost is a problem for you. I will tell you though permanent weight loss is not cheap.

Do you exercise now? If so what is your routine?

Water is good for you, however I would find other drinks that would dance on your taste buds as well. Having only water at least for me is really boring and it gets old quick.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #9  

Bee20nine- I play raquet ball several times a week. I will have to look into the WW. I am ready for change long term so I am willing to do whatever I have to do!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

For starters - you have to change your sorrounding. Get rid of all the junk food in your house - and round up a support group. Get you family, friends, man in your life, etc. everyone around you to be supportive of you. I told my boyfriend we can only go out to eat once a week now, and he was really supportive about that. Also - don't completely deprive yourself of what you want or else one day, you'll go crazy and eat a whole box of cookies. Eat those "bad food" for a very special treat, very rarely, and in a small portion. Good luck!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #11  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Just keep coming here!!

When you are feeling discouraged- come here.

When your game plan isn't working- come here.

When you are excited about you loss- come here!

Seriously- this site has been the turning point for me, and I am holding myself much more accountable for my weight now. You will find some great help here, get the education you need to be successful, and you can do it! Go you!

The Chicks up for a Challenge board may have some challenges to help motivate you as well!

Last edited by carcar05; 01-08-2009 at 12:59 AM.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #12  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

I would second that and say get rid of the junk! Honestly, I can't even have low fat ice cream or candy, or low fat chips or cookies, or ANYTHING in my house simply because I know that I do not have self control. Even if I have something, like low fat ice cream, in my house (something that I could have a small amount of and be okay), I know I will end up eating the whole pint.

It's all about conserving. Just limit yourself to what you NEED to eat, instead of what you want. And allow yourself a small treat when you need it.

I once heard a trainer say "It's not about restricting the bad foods. It's about adding in really good, healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Once you add in plenty of really good foods, you will not be so focused on eating bad foods, and will eventually crave them less." I would say this is definitely good advice for beginners. Don't think of it as a strict diet of cutting out everything you like to eat. Think of it as adding in more healthy foods. Try to make the majority of what you eat healthy. And honestly for me, when I have a binge day, I just want to keep on having binge days every day. Eating junk makes your body crave more and more junk.

I would also say working out helps. Working out just makes you feel healthier, and also fights any feelings of depression. Get your endorphins going!
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #13  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I find that sometimes it's really hard to work out, but once I do I feel SO much better. Not only that, but after not having worked out for a while, I can tell SUCH a difference in how I feel and my energy level when I am working out.

Start with some kind of plan. I just started WW and it's been really awesome. I can eat what I want to as long as it's within my point range. I think a really important thing for me is to keep in mind what food triggers me to get out of control. I avoid those foods!

Keep checking in on here. Everyone is SUPER supportive and it's a great way to stay accountable!

Good luck!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote