General chatter - Is That Even Freaking Possible

View Full Version : Is That Even Freaking Possible

freeqeegrl
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
So Last Night I Caught The End To Biggest Loser And A Boy Lost 30 Pounds In One Week. What The Heck, How Did He Do That????? I Just Dont Understand, I Want To Go On The Show Just For Two Weeks So I Can Get To My Goal Weight. . . Im Feeling Jipped On The Outside.

nelie
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't watch the Biggest loser but I heard that their weeks really aren't weeks, but a bit longer?

Is it also at the very beginning? If you are morbidly obese, you can drop a lot of weight in the very beginning. A lot of it is what you'd call water weight. If they are follow a low carb plan, you can drop additional weight in terms of glycogen. Also they are doing a lot of exercise and heavy restriction.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Yes, I agree with you; not all claims are as they appear. There could be many different factors going on there: but like you, I am having difficulty with that claim also. The only thing that comes to mind is if that person was very, very heavy; and most of that was water (ie as in retention from too much sugar and salt in their diet), and after they went on a healthier regime, he lost a lot of water-weight in the first month, but a week is surprising to me too!

EDIT: Yes, as NELLIE says, these shows are often taped 3-4 weeks apart; so what appears to be a week to us, may be a month in reality.

I have seen a couple of claims here that surprised me also: like one person who claimed she lost 13.6 lbs each month for ten straight months, right to her goal weight, without a blip. Although not IMPOSSIBLE, that is very rare also; so when we hear these claims, we have to keep in mind the old adage: these results are not typical, and weightloss may vary for different people, for many different reasons ...

... how much they eat; what they eat; how much they exercise and how often; how heavy they were; water retention: salt and sugar intake; the kind of plan they are on; their height; their sex; their health status, and on and on ...

bethbeth
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
First of all, he started out at 450 pounds! So him loosing 30 pounds is equivalent to you losing 12 (based on percentages). Most it was water weight. He really was not doing anything different than you can do at home, eating better and getting tons of exercise.
And it's really not healthy to drop so much weight so quickly. It is usually recommended to lose 1-2 pounds a week.

kaplods
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
This is also a competition, so people do things that a person really wanting to lose weight only for themselves would never do. Many of the contestants have learned to load their stomaches before their first weigh in or weigh-ins for which they have immunity (drinking huge amounts of liquids and low calorie foods), so that this weigh-in is much heavier than their "real" weight, so that their next weigh-in will be more impressive. They also use dehydrating methods like purging and saunas before weigh-ins to achieve the lowest weight posible, even though it also doesn't reflect the reality of their body weight in proper balance.

Ultimately, these shows are entertainment driven, rather than health-driven so you have to be careful what you take away from them. Everyone wants to know "how they did it," but applying those techniques to real life isn't always practical, and can even be dangerous.

ANOther
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Sanjay Gupta was interviewing Jillian Michaels last w/e on House Call and she was saying that under the controlled circumstances and constant supervision of the show (what we in science call "in vitro") the people lose a lot of weight a lot faster than would be likely or wise in the real world. ETA In other words: don't try this @ home. Here's the link to the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0901/03/hcsg.01.html

freeqeegrl
01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks Guys That Got To Me . 30 Pounds I Mean Really , I Couldnt Figure Out What I Was Doing Wrong....... Ima Read That Transcript.

Hattie22
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
That fact also bothered me. Since it is not healthy to lose that quick. I was surprised to see that.

Reality shows are not always reality.

freeqeegrl
01-08-2009, 12:59 AM
i guess thats true , but man, how awesome that would be if it was healthy

MaddiesMom
01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Also, these people are losing so much weight because they are working out 6-8 hours PER DAY. That's a lot, and quite frankly, impossible for any of us to complete. (I read that somewhere, can't think where). Plus, they don't have the temptation that we do...they can't jump in their car and grab a burger.

RN BSN 2009
01-08-2009, 01:09 AM
That's crazy, and unhealthy

tonyaky
01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I wish I had my own trainer to keep me motivated

tonyaky
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I would like to see an update show on them after 1 or 2 years

MindiV
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
My husband and I had that exact discussion when the show was over, and argued over how losses like that aren't really likely to happen in the real world. That's one reason I have always hated that show...the unhealthy and unrealistic losses. This season the only reason I'll watch is to see how the people at home do, as opposed to those on "the ranch." It'll be eye-opening, potentially.

willow650
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I doubt is was 30lbs of fat. I mean think about how his diet and excersie changed in that week, it was quite a shock to his system. I wonder how much of it was water and toxins and crap that came out of his system.

Scarlet
01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I tried to watch that show one time and I couldn't believe how much they were pushing those very heavy people to exercise past the point of what their bodies could handle---I'm amazed no one has had a heart attack or stroke!!! I've never watched it since, I don't think it's a realistic or healthy show, as you know people try to duplicate it at home.....

freeqeegrl
01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
i never thought of that good point scarlet

LandonsBaby
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I tried to watch that show one time and I couldn't believe how much they were pushing those very heavy people to exercise past the point of what their bodies could handle---I'm amazed no one has had a heart attack or stroke!!! I've never watched it since, I don't think it's a realistic or healthy show, as you know people try to duplicate it at home.....

I have been amazed at the things they have severely obese people doing, like jumping up on to the weight benches. That is insane. As far as how hard they push them. I have a theory. That is all for the camera. They don't push them like that ALL the time. They can take 10 minutes and make it look a LOT worse than the reality. I am thinking that is what they do. I think they would have a lot of illness and injury otherwise.

kaplods
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
There actually have been quite a few relatively serious injuries on the show, some even requiring significant medical attention or care. There've been stress fractures, cardiac incidents, panic attacks, not to mention the number who are actually filmed vomiting... and there's no historical precendent to know what the long term damage to their bodies might be, especially if they aren't able to keep the weight off. I would love to be able to read the releases they sign, I bet they're pages and pages long and are specific to many health risks that we know are associated with rapid crash dieting or intense exertion (like pulmonary hypertention, mitrovalve prolapse, cardiac arrest, blood clots, gall bladder issues....).

Every season gets more extreme and more dangerous, and so I stopped watching a full season ago. I just got to the point that I started expecting to eventually see someone die on camera, and felt that if I did, the death would be partially on my conscience for watching.

L144S
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
It is supervised, these contestans have gone form thousands of calories a day to 1200 for the women and 1800 for the men AND they are in constant motion. The mover for 6-8 hours a day and burn between 4000 and 7000 calories a day.

Much of the first WI is showing the detox effect of no soda, low sodium low fat etc. Is 30 LB realistic? not for the general public, I personally have a Bodybug, my stats let me lose about 1 lb to 1.5lbs a week, I eat 1600 calories a day and burn around 2500 this includes 2 hours of modorate activity ie walking the dog/ eliptical and some free weights including breathing and watching TV. 3500 calories = 1lb. so if they are burning 7000 extra calories a day on top of what they eat, that is 2 a DAY. Mathmaticly 30 is a lot but like I said, much is the detox factor...it always slows down and some weeks the contestants will lose only 1 lb.

Deetle Erin 2009
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
So, I would never recommend for someone to do that on their own. A more moderate pace is perfectly acceptable. Two to four pounds a week, I think, is fantastic.

OMG... 4lbs a week! I wish I could do that.

mg79
01-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I would love to know all the secrets of the show.

I do watch it, but I think it gives people unrealistic views on weight loss. I think a majority of those that have been on the show have gain the weight back. Its just not possible to sustain that level of exercise and diet once they go home.

Ookpik
01-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Some updates on past contestants have shown a few of them have gained weight back. One of the problems with "The Biggest Loser" is that ordinary people were getting discouraged because they thought their own weight loss should consist of double-digit losses every week, not realizing, I guess, that contestants do nothing but work out all day, and don't have the everyday challenges most people have, such as work, family, etc.

I used to watch this show because sometimes they do have helpful tips. I just find it so long! I can see a two-hour season premiere, like some shows have, such as Survivor, but a two-hour episode every week? By the end of the first hour I head on over to Fox to watch "Fringe". I find "The Biggest Loser" just drags on too long.