General chatter - Olive Garden finally posts their nutritional info!!

Glory87
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/garden_fare/nutrition_information.asp

Yay Olive Garden - your food has way too many calories, too much fat and a scary amount of sodium, but I applaud this move!

Scariest dish - the Tour of Italy has 1450 calories, 74 grams of fat and 3830 mg of sodium. 3830!!! The Recommended Daily Allowance for sodium is 2400mg. Don't you think it's a little irresponsible to serve a single dish with more than 30% more sodium over the recommended allowance for the day?

Venetian Apricot Chicken is the ONLY way to go (for me). I was kind of shocked by the Capellini Pomodoro - I used to order that a lot (not recently) thinking that was a healthy choice. Didn't it used to have the little "healthy" symbol by it at one point?

I was liked they posted the calories of their drink menu. Too many times I order a pomegranate martini (in general, not just at Olive Garden) and think it's just a little drink, how many calories can it have? Back to red wine only!!!!

I left feedback at their website letting them know how much I appreciate the posted nutritional information!

bexx
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I used to work at the olive garden - the ONLY healthy options were the salad with the low fat version of their dressing on the side, and the minestrone soup. STAY AWAY from the cheesecake. Seriously. Don't do it to yourself. Same amount of fat as the Tour has, but in a teeny tiny piece of cheesecake...

willow650
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
How funny. I Just read an article yesterday that talked about how OG didn't have the nutritional values listed...LOL

scrappinRN
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
,, but where I live we don't have one which is good. I found some recipes on a website I visit for some olive garden recipes and I tweaked a few to decrease the calories. The website is www.recipazaar.com. Try it, its probably less calories then the real thing.

nelie
01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
How can their bland food have so many calories? Actually the calories are pretty much what I'd expect. I still have a gift card to Olive Garden I haven't used because I just don't like their food. Its probably expired by now as its over 2 years old.

alinnell
01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I used to work at the olive garden - the ONLY healthy options were the salad with the low fat version of their dressing on the side, and the minestrone soup. STAY AWAY from the cheesecake. Seriously. Don't do it to yourself. Same amount of fat as the Tour has, but in a teeny tiny piece of cheesecake...

I didn't know they had a low fat version!

My usual at Olive Garden is the soup and salad combo and I limit myself to one breadstick. That's 600 calories which is a little high but not horrible.

MindiV
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
This absolutely THRILLS me, as Olive Garden is one of my favorite places! At least now I know I can plan what to eat when I go, and know whether I can eat a full portion, half or none at all!

wanna b thin
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I was at a Olive Garden a few weeks ago, if you ask they have a little menu with the nutritional info on it. I had the Venetian Apricot Chicken, it was the lowest calorie item and it acutaly tasted very good.

I didn't know they offered a low fat dressing though. I'll have to remember that, I love their salads.

diary
01-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Ouch reading the nutrition hurt! I usually get the Ravioli di portabello - with a salad and a breadstick (not that big a fan of the breadsticks for some reason) Glad they are not closer! I can stay away from them where they are now.

Lovely
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Hallelujah!!!

grneyedmustang
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
:eek: is all I can say. And why does an item on the KID'S MENU have 800 calories per serving? INSANE!

JackieRn
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I can't believe the tiramisu info I used to eat like it was nothing and the sad part was its not filling at all. Most days I don't even eat more than 25 g of fat in 1500 calories, I can't believe that one little desert can have so much fat.

Tiramisu 510 calories 32 g of fat

beerab
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Dang I always get the seafood portifino or the shrimp and asparagus risotto and I don't know which is worse! The asparagus has less calorie BUT more sodium!

*cry*

And the salad is my favorite I always eat a ton- next time I go I'm going to say DO NOT BRING BREADSTICKS TO MY TABLE! lol.

beerab
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Correction- IF I ever go again lol.

diamondinthedesert
01-07-2009, 02:27 PM
WOW! While I commend them for posting I have to do all I can to stay out of there! I used to love Olive Garden but have been trying to stay away from pasta in general since I started losing weight.

My Dad loves to go to here on Sunday's after church and I do all I can to talk him out of it! Now I know when I do have to go it will be Venetian Apricot Chicken and pass on the breadsticks with alfredo sauce (grr). :(

CandyKisses0204
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
This makes me happy. I have to say i do live olive garden. And sadly every time me and the boy go there he gets the tour if italy. ummm 3830 mg of sodium.!!!! He is freakin diabetic. AHHHH no more tour of italy for him

TiffTiff1985
01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I am not a fan of olive garden...Carrabba's is a million times better...which probably translates to a ton more calories :)

tamaralynn
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Eggplant Parmagania is my fave :)

grneyedmustang
01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I am not a fan of olive garden...Carrabba's is a million times better...which probably translates to a ton more calories :)

I *heart* Carrabba's too. Some of the entrees they have are not so bad, since the meat is often grilled. The Caesar Salad - OMG...so good. A lot of their dishes are allowed on SB too, so when I do go out for Italian, that's usually where I end up at. :carrot:

And I don't remember where I found it at, but I do believe their nutritional info is online, as well.

NightengaleShane
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I avoid Italian food most of the time because it's so unhealthy. :( At most Italian restaurants, there are only one or two items I can eat. You never know what is in it or how horrendously caloric their options will be! I had a good buddy who was a cook for Olive Garden and he said they prepared steaks first in oil and butter, then added additional butter on the grill, thennnn added even MORE butter melted over top of it for added flavor before handing it to the customers! :eek:

Carrabba's has healthy items? really? I never knew, but I have not been there for a very long time. The last time I was there, I got chicken parmasean, which is always fattening.

tonyaky
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank the lord that there isn't one located by me. I love anything with noodles.

grneyedmustang
01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Carrabba's has healthy items? really? I never knew, but I have not been there for a very long time. The last time I was there, I got chicken parmasean, which is always fattening.

Their grilled chicken is wonderful. And my favorite dish - Chicken Marsala - is allowed on SB since the chicken is grilled!!! mmmmm...and I also love their sauteed spinach. The Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu is also reasonable in calories - and allowed on SB if you get whole wheat pasta.

OnlyWomanInTheHouse
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't even want to look. I like that place too much. Like a PP said, its all or nothing if I go there.

I'll be sure to stay far far away from there from here on out though!

Amy8888
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
[url]

Venetian Apricot Chicken is the ONLY way to go (for me). I was kind of shocked by the Capellini Pomodoro - I used to order that a lot (not recently) thinking that was a healthy choice. Didn't it used to have the little "healthy" symbol by it at one point?

Honestly, at 840 calories if you split it into two or three servings (which I can easily do) it's not THAT bad.

jenhai
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I used to love OG. Now I make a soup like their Pasta e Fagioli from Recipezaar. There are two recipes at 'Zaar that I combine and add cilantro to for the best soup ever. It is always better the second day.
These OG calorie counts are scary!

cbmare
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I can't stand that place. Many years ago I'd go for the soup/salad lunch with coworkers. Anyone who ordered anything other than that were so disappointed.

I went with my sister when I went back to Pensacola when our mom passed. We both hated it and vowed to never go again.

I'm actually glad that I don't like Italian food. It's easier to avoid the yucky al dente pasta and crap like that when you don't like it.

Thanks so much for posting that. I can not get over the amount of sodium in their food! That is criminal!

willow650
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Olive Garden. I absolutely love their alfredo sauce. I cant say that I will never go there again, I don't go their often anyway due to finances. But, if and when I do go, i will get what i want and I will not feel guilty and will deal with what ever consequences come with it

Razz44
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Well the pizza isn't as bad as I thought it would be. As long as the 910 calories is for the whole thing. If you eat about half of it, its not so bad considering.