Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Default Calorie Counting to Weight Watchers?

Hi all!

I'm an ex-calorie counter, I've lost weight by doing it before, but I just cant motivate myself to do it since I have gained almost all the weight back (except maybe, ten pounds?).

I was just wondering if anyone has gone from calorie counting to WW and what they like better/dislike and what successes/drawbacks they have had?

Thanks all
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

When I was actively staying within my points, I put my foods in the fit day tracker. Every day, I had a different calorie allowance but ate the same amount of points every day. And my mom termed it when I decided to do WW, she said, "you can eat a bit more."
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

WW points don't translate well directly into calories, because it's not like there is an exact 1 point = x calories guideline. (There are estimates, certainly, but nothing is exact since points take into account fat and fiber.) Both ways of tracking your intake have their strong points and their weaknesses, but the major thing they have in common is that you have immense flexibility in what you can eat (nothing is off-limits). The new WW plan encourages you to choose from fruits, vegetables, and whole grain options and actually eat healthfully in addition to eating less, but it remains just a guideline. Still, many of us on this new program are finding that even the existence of such a guideline is proving to be immensely helpful.

Anyway, not sure if that's what you were looking for - but that's a little of what I think
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #4  

I used to track on The Daily Plate. I did like it, but I didn't feel as accountable to that as I do WW. Maybe once my lifestyle changes a little bit, I could go back to calorie counting. I do still look up certain foods for calories just out of curiousity.
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I'm going from calorie counting to ww now because it's easier to track without being on the computer, and easier to remember points values for foods than calories.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Today is my first day on WW. I've been counting calories for a week now and it feels like I'm doing it wrong. I'm told I need to have 1500 calories a day to lose weight but I'm having a hard time breaking 1200 on most days.

I started points today because it feels a little more structured
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

And I went from WW to cal counting. I found WW to be too much of a game for me, the banking point, exercise points, flex points was just too much "banking" for me.

I use a bodybug now, I set up my program to lose a lb a week, ( I am 40 and just dont care if it takes me 3 months or 2 years to come to a happy goal) track my food in, and it tracks my calories out. I also thinks it helps to really know your BMR (google BMR) (how many calories a day it take for your body to "just function". So far s good. I only have to work one day at a time and do what is on my daily program to meet my goal.

Don't get me wrong, I lost a lot of weight on WW, and the program works but I never wanted to spend my extra point, it seemed like I was not supose to and I was so hungry all the time, I also felt like there was a push for fake foods at the time I did it. The last reason I swiched was because every year there is a new twist to the program, and everything you use to do then chages. I know they do it for marketing and to bring in new members but it just stoped working for me. So I will now be a calorie counter and know that the calories will never change.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #8  

I think ww is easier to stick to, but calorie counting is more effective. When I'm counting calories I tend to obsess and drive myself crazy. Ultimately I end up eating something I really shouldn't which sets me back quite a bit. It may be more effective in the long term, but it's not much good if you can't stick to it. I say going back and forth is probably the best thing.
doveyheart is offline   Reply With Quote