General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #1  
=D

Default Mosquitoes

....Attacked me in my sleep last night!!!

On the brink of sleep, laying there in the dark, barely covered by a doona (it's hot enough at night as it is, let alone with extra warmth) I could hear one buzzing around.

Sure enough now I'm covered in bloody mozzie bites. The most annoying ones are right on my thumb knuckles. It looks like I've got some odd kind of rashy hive disease or something.

The suckers even got my lower back. So now when I'm at work and scratching, it probably looks like I'm scratchin' me butt. I don't know how they got in there! I sleep with shorts and a tee, so how a moz can get through that to suckle from my very teet of haemoglobin is beyond me, I tells ya.

Anyways, I just had to rant. Thanks for listening but don't stay too long as my sheer insanity may rub off..

Do you guys in the US (and other parts of the world) have such a big mosquito issue? 'Cause here you can barely be outside for more than 30 mins in the summer without being visciously mauled (ok, 'bitten') by mozzies.

Last edited by mazza; 01-07-2009 at 05:33 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hey Mazza - when you have specially designed hats to keep the mozzies off you face - THAT's a serious mosquito problem

Here in the States it depends on where you live as well as seasonal times of the year when they are worse than others. We get blessed relief in the winter when they are dormant.

They are the worst in the summer, particularly if we've had alot of rain. Yes there are times you can't work in the garden or go out and use the pool at night without being attacked.

But I think you have it far worse then we do living in the tropics. So you have our sympathies and rant away
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

We have "skeeters" here all year long Even when it's freezing outside the little beasts will find you lol Yuck!

The worst are the little gnats that can get through our screens if the windows are open.......nice day = open windows right? At least you hope so!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I thought this was going to be about AAA bra cups
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #5  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I used to live in Minnesota, where we referred to mosquitoes as the "state bird" Still have the little buggers here, but only summer and fall. I know that Avon's Skin-so-soft body oil will repel them if that's available in Australia (probably can get in online?). We plant basil and other plants that repel them from our outdoor patio area, but when they get indoors, we go into seek and destroy mode!

If you can find some, we use benadryl cream to stop the itch (one of our sons gets huge swollen areas- 3 to 4" diameter- around each bite) and swelling.

I'm envying your warm weather right now!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Yes we do in the summer around here. Right now people are worried because there are a lot of foreclosures with pools and the stagnant water. West Nile is dangerous.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-09-2009 at 02:31 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #7  
My Wedding Day 6.19.10

S/C/G: 172/167/115

Height: 5'2"

They may be dormant this time of year in the northern US, but I have had one zooming aroung my house for a couple days and I cannot kill it! It was in my bedroom the other night and I couldn't get him there either.

Everytime I see the darn thing I think I'm hallucinating!
IansGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

Iowa is horrible in the summer time with mosquitoes. Esp if it floods and we have alot of standing water. I usually burn Lemon-Citronella incense when I hang out outside and drench myself in Deep Woods OFF or the Deep Woods Skin So Soft from avon too! But sadly I end up avoiding going out in late summer when it is the worst. Especially if there is no breeze to blow them buggers away! I'm really hating this winter (too much snow & ice) but I at least have one thing right now that is positive no mosquitoes to bite me! Why can't it be spring all the time here!?

Last edited by Sun_Flower2; 01-09-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

mosquitos LOVE my youngest son. I dont know what it is about that boy but 20 minutes outside in warm weather and he's covered in itchy bumps.

We use toothpaste on his bites. I dont know why it works but it does
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #10  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

For once, I'm thankful for the winter here in Canada lol. I hate skeeters!
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #11  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
Hey Mazza - when you have specially designed hats to keep the mozzies off you face - THAT's a serious mosquito problem
Briliant invention it is, too!! Gotta get me one of those cork hats. Funnily enough you can only really get them in tourist shops or places where they sell stuff like leather hats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I thought this was going to be about AAA bra cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni62 View Post
I'm envying your warm weather right now!
It is quite gorgeous - I'm just happy it isn't winter. Winter's been getting insanely cold these past few years.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote