Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Spiritual Fitness Challenge

We're all here to lose weight or maintain weight loss, go us! By putting food in it's proper place, we are turning away from an idol (or at least it's an idol for me: something I turn to instead of God). By exercising we are trying to be good stewards of the bodies God gave us.

But I've been thinking lately, how spiritually fit am I? I'm afraid the answer is, not very. I don't read my Bible or pray as often as I should. So I was thinking maybe some of you would like to join me in a challenge to read the Bible and pray more.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a certain number of minutes or chapters, we're not doing this to rack up points So any suggestions? Any takers?
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

This is definitely something I want to do this year. I just don't exactly have a plan yet. I was thinking of following the Morning Daily Office (Episcopal). It's kind of a weird place in the liturgical year to start, but it's always worth starting .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'6

I am so ready, I do 4/health Bible Study but I want to study the Bible with y'all also. The more I study the Bible the more I feel I can do and do it right, Don't know if that makes since or not but that is just me. Maybe start at the first and read a chapter and discuss it, you know there are some things that no one has been able to answer for me, that I just don't understand, so maybe this way it can be answered.

Last edited by Nita Ann; 01-06-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Nita Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Yup, I am in it, too! I rediscovered my faith not too long ago. I am trying my best to keep in touch with God via prayer and the bible, but it is a constant journey for me every day.

I am actually becoming a volunteer youth minister. I just have to take a couple classes and turn in my background check (all church employees and faculty have to do it).

We can definitely all support each other in this, since faith in God should never be competitive
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I do a couple of devotions each day; both are available online. One is by RADIO BIBLE CLASS and their website is www.rbc.org and the devotional is called 'OUR DAILY BREAD'. These are by a group of different teachers (men and women) from all walks of life.

The second one I do that I just love is from CRYSTAL CATHEDRAL MINISTRIES from Garden Grove, California. They will email their very positive devotionals each day right to your home email addresses. I'll get the link address for you ... here it is ~

http://www.crystalcathedral.org/devotions/index.php

I also have a book of devotionals by a Christian lady named BARBARA JOHNSON called DAILY SPLASHES OF JOY, which are lots of fun; she's very down to earth and has a great sense of humor.

These are just a few suggestions, but if you want to start in the bible itself, I would suggest the NEW TESTAMENT books first ~ like JOHN, Romans, Corinthians and the other letters, Proverbs, The PSALMS, The Four Gospels, Acts, Hebrews, and Revelations last. I just read an order similar to this a long time ago ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-06-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

As usual, Rosebud's ideas are excellent!
Another one that helped me on my journey is Faithfully Fit. Claire Cloninger and , Laura Barr. It is an excellent book that helped me overcome emotional eating
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #7  

Great! Glad some peeps are interested in doing this.

Thanks for all the great resources everyone.

I also like Nita's idea of posting questions about difficult passages.

Maybe we could track the days we read the Bible? Letting others see how many days we read might be motivation to do it. What do you think?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #8  
Closed

I like Rose Buds idea too! I just registered with:
http://www.crystalcathedral.org/devotions/index.php
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #9  

OK, I'm going to start tracking the days I do Bible study, starting Monday. Join me if you like.

Week 1 (1/12-1/18)
Mon.
Tues.
Weds.
Thurs.
Fri.
Sat.
Sun.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #10  
Closed

[B]Week one:

Monday:Read Psalm 1, and I am getting the devotion from positve minutes from Robert Schueller: God is blessing you now

I like the whole thing but this especially stood out to me:

Some of God’s ideas at times seem backwards—like this one for instance: give thanks and praise God when you're lonely, frustrated, disappointed or confused. The surprise is that God's way always produces positive results in our hearts and minds. Feeling down today? Give in to praise and watch what God delivers!

Share your thoughts...

Tuesday:

Wed.:

Thurs.:

Friday:

Sat.

Son-day

Last edited by Nita Ann; 01-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210.6/198.6/160

Height: 5'8"

i get this devotional in my email daily

http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/fordieters/
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #12  

Thin possible...What an awesome, awesome idea! I know last yr. I was on a roll with a morning Bible devotion..I would talk with the Lord, and just open up my Bible to random pages and begin reading. It didn't have to be for long..but I know my day went better..and of course, I got out of the habit and stopped doing it. Thanks for the eye-opener. I do now do a daily calender read every morning. I think I would like to share the one from this morning as it deals directly with me denying myself my morning devotion. I was in denial of TRUTH. For January 9th it read:

Want a Challenge? Start modeling the TRUTH...the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you GOD. From this day forward, deliberately, speak the truth. Start practicing GUT-level authenticity.

Walk in his ways...so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go. 1 Kings 2:3

And..thin possible...I noticed you before and thought how beautiful you are..now I know you are truely beautiful "inside" too!

Last edited by Skinny4baby; 01-09-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
i get this devotional in my email daily

http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/fordieters/
Wow, thanks, I'll definitely subscribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny4baby View Post
Thin possible...What an awesome, awesome idea! I know last yr. I was on a roll with a morning Bible devotion..I would talk with the Lord, and just open up my Bible to random pages and begin reading. It didn't have to be for long..but I know my day went better..and of course, I got out of the habit and stopped doing it. Thanks for the eye-opener. I do now do a daily calender read every morning. I think I would like to share the one from this morning as it deals directly with me denying myself my morning devotion. I was in denial of TRUTH. For January 9th it read:

Want a Challenge? Start modeling the TRUTH...the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you GOD. From this day forward, deliberately, speak the truth. Start practicing GUT-level authenticity.

Walk in his ways...so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go. 1 Kings 2:3

And..thin possible...I noticed you before and thought how beautiful you are..now I know you are truely beautiful "inside" too!
Aw, thanks. And that's an awesome devotional! Something I really needed to hear this morning.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #14  

Default Scripture for Jan. 13th

In the book of Nehemiah, the prophet demonstrates SEVEN qualities as a leader:

1) Passion for the project.
2) Ability to motivate others.
3) An unswerving confidence in God.
4) Resilience and patience through opposition.
5) A practical, balanced grip on reality.
6) A willingness to work hard and remain unselfish.
7) Discipline to finish the job.

Are you in leadership or being called to such a position? Think long and hard about God's requirements. They realized that this work had been done with the help of our God. NEHEMIAH 6:16

Boy do these seven qualities apply to Weight LOSS?? So powerful if we would just follow these seven every day of our lives.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have a book " Devotions For Dieters" sub titled "A 365 Day Guide to a Lighter You". Author is Dan R. Dick. I really do not remember wher I got if, but besides a scripture for the day there are real life stories , just a short vignette Today the scripture was Proverbs 21:21. A paragraph about long distance running and about thinking of the finish line. Today's thought was " The reward of our diet is greater than the sacrifice".
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote