Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Savory Snacks

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, though I do get an occasional urge for something sweet, but man do I love savory foods. Cheeses, meats, breads, herbs, mmmm.

I enjoyed the Sweet Snack ideas thread so much I thought I'd start one for the savory side of life.

Yesterday I discovered a new snack I love. I take 2 servings of peppercorn triscuits (12 crackers) and 1 slice of swiss cheese. Then I put a bit of cheese on each cracker and nuke it for about 15-18 seconds.

Something about the hot crackers and melted cheese really does it for me and it's easy. You can do a half order but I can usually fit in the 320 calories it comes out to and like it enough to spend the calories there when i have a snack attack.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #2  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I like savory things that I can sink my teeth into. I used to be a big sweets person but since I moved overseas I do not tend to eat them as much. The only time I really get into them if I am on an emotional downswing.

As far as satisfying myself with something I love the roasted garlic triscuits and that about it. I eat 6 of them and it saitsfies me. I can't have cheese in the house because I will eat the whole thing. For right now those garlic triscuits are doing the trick.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #3  
FB

I LOVE savory!

I like the La Tortilla green onion tortillas (only 50 calories, low carb, high fiber) I can make wraps filled with savory stuff (smoked salmon is a favorite), or bake it lightly to make crackers.

Love capers, olives, anchovies, curries, mustards and hot sauces to add savoriness to food. Same goes for green onions and roasted garlic - my favorite kitchen items that add a lot of kick.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

For savory snacks for me, just can't beat some roasted nuts, especially cashews or pistachios!

I love cheese straight up as a snack. Back when I used to eat deli meat, I would wrap slices of turkey or ham around string cheese and eat.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like the Laughing Cow Light Cheese (30 calories) spread on the top if huge strawberries.

I also like celery sticks dipped into egg salad (made with fat-free Miracle whip and egg whites)
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #6  
career counselor a-gogo

Ooh I'll have to look for the green onion tortillas. I love tortillas but not the calories in them!

Another thing I like (more for a meal than a snack) is a pita with hummus, shredded lettuce and roasted turkey.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 01-06-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OOHH...now I do love me some hummus!

I have been making it myself so I can control the fat. Plus, it's wayyy cheaper.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #8  
career counselor a-gogo

I don't like mustard (which is a shame because I love spicy stuff) so hummus has been a good substitute for mayo. I find I don't need much hummus to add the moisture and flavor I want and it's more nutritious than mayo.

"God bless the chickpea" - George Clooney on Friends
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #9  
FB

Really rodeo? NO mustards? I don't care for plain old yellow mustard, blech, but there are some divine ones out there that aren't so mustardy. My current love is a spicy/sweet habenero one. I try out new ones from the cheese shop or World Market. There's such a world of mustard out there!

Hummus is a gift. I love it so.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

We were in Holland over the holidays and I fell in love with these crazy cracker things, it's a package of 3 substantial cracker-type things, except there's a scant layer inside of tomatoey-cheesey stuff and some herbs sprinkled on top, they're all organic and have lots of fibre so i thought they'd be vile LOL but they're scrumptious, and only 100 cals for a pack of 3 big ones. I like it with a bowl of soup for lunch Only problem is, I brought some back with me but then I'll be out they come in tomato-cheese, italian, etc. for savoury, and they also have ones that are a bit sweet (european sweet - a sliver of dark chocolate and pear! yum! and even those aren't off the charts bad for you!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Right now, I'm hooked on Triscuits and string cheese because I just discovered we sell Triscuits at my work. Of course the ones we had were all expired back in April of '08, but once I wrote those off we got new ones! *note to people, check expiration dates in convenience stores. Really!!*

I also love green olives and Mt. Olives pickles made with Splenda
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #12  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I make sugar-free banana pudding. I like it warmed up in the microwave! Yum-O!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I thought my sweet tooth went down so much after I started eating better. But then recently, so many months later, it's definitely gone down some more. I'm really enjoying not sweet snacks and foods now. Not just not sweet, but actually a bit sour or astringent. I still get tempted by desserts when I'm at a family thing, but I think I've about lost the desire to have any sweets at home at all (excepting dark chocolate, and a little agave in my coffee ). It feels pretty amazing.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-06-2009 at 12:02 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
We were in Holland over the holidays and I fell in love with these crazy cracker things, it's a package of 3 substantial cracker-type things, except there's a scant layer inside of tomatoey-cheesey stuff and some herbs sprinkled on top, they're all organic and have lots of fibre so i thought they'd be vile LOL but they're scrumptious, and only 100 cals for a pack of 3 big ones. I like it with a bowl of soup for lunch Only problem is, I brought some back with me but then I'll be out they come in tomato-cheese, italian, etc. for savoury, and they also have ones that are a bit sweet (european sweet - a sliver of dark chocolate and pear! yum! and even those aren't off the charts bad for you!
Depending where you are, you might find a Dutch store to buy more of the crackery things. I think there's even an online one! www.dutchmarket.com (it's in Chatham, Ontario)
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #15  
FB

I just thought of another as I'm having it...
Miso soup! A rare treat, because of the killer amounts of sodium - but a lovely, practically calorie free snack (at 30 calories).