Exercise! - The most hated exercises

View Full Version : The most hated exercises

gymlee
01-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Hey I just had a question for you all and that is what exercise or types of exercise do you just hate? I know some people hate running, others hate ab work, some hate the stair stepper etc etc. Personally for me, I hate lunges and the variations of them. I don't know why but they are my own personal **** and have been forever. Even when I was smaller I couldn't stand them! I'd rather stick needles in my eyes! I also hate mountain climbers! The are second to the lunges though and I would do them over lunges any day.

JoyfulVegGirl
01-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Lots of exercises I used to hate I've learned to love, but I absolutely loathe Burpees. I can't even do one without feeling like I want to die.

I will never, ever learn to like them.

diamondinthedesert
01-06-2009, 03:50 AM
HATE the stair mill and running though I do them both cause they burn a ton of calories super fast.

mazza
01-06-2009, 04:52 AM
I dont like using the jump rope. At all. Maybe one day I will. I used to hate running and now I like it.

heather88
01-06-2009, 05:15 AM
These are the exercises I have a hard time doing WITHOUT modifying them.

-Jumping jacks
-Push-ups
-Jump rope

I'm slowly trying to make my body do these, but I always end up going back to the modified versions.

MBN
01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm not wild about spinning ... don't know why because I like to ride my bike outside. But the indoor spinning class just never really did much for me.

jessisaokay
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
burpees are ****. But such an amazing workout

Vahla
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Excuse my ignorance but...what are burpees?

My most hated exercise is anything I have to do in silence and the stair machines. I hate all that climbing, does my head in. I love pretty much anything else though, especially dancing type workouts and running.

JackieRn
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I used to hate lunges and squats then I did a lot of them and now I don't mind them. Mountain climbers I don't like only b/c I can't do them well.

FB
01-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't especially like doing the twenty million step-ups my trainer sometimes has me do. I am uncoordinated and often end up dizzy because I forget which foot is next!

I detest bouncy exercises - like jumping jacks. Evil, evil. I guess a sports bra would help. I logged thousands and thousands of exercise hours last year and still don't own one.

midwife
01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
It changes depending on my life. I just try to tell myself that the more I dislike it, the more I probably need to do it. YMMV.

sacha
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Excuse my ignorance but...what are burpees?

Burpee:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_Burpees.wmv

grneyedmustang
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Lunges and squats. I DETEST them. I know I need to do them though.

greeneggsandtam
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Aerobics classes. Anything that requires music and me to keep time and be coordinated. I can't help but laugh and snort at myself everytime I try one of these accursed things. The thing is that I never feel like I get a good workout because I spend so much time milling around laughing and trying to catch up to what the coordinated people with rythym are doing.

JulieJ08
01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
LOL, whatever yoga pose I'm working on that is too hard for me still.

Shannon in ATL
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Burpees, jump rope. Not nearly coordinated enough for either yet.

Yoga is frustrating me right now because I'm not as flexible as I would like, but I don't hate it. Yet. :)

grneyedmustang
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
count me in for aerobics classes too, including step. The more tired I am, the more uncoordinated I get. That's why I've become a big fan of spin class. :)

RunnerKim
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Aerobics classes. Anything that requires music and me to keep time and be coordinated. I can't help but laugh and snort at myself everytime I try one of these accursed things. The thing is that I never feel like I get a good workout because I spend so much time milling around laughing and trying to catch up to what the coordinated people with rythym are doing.

I couldn't agree more! ;) I also hate yoga and pilates. I just never feel like I'm actually doing anything more than stretching and how can you lose weight doing that?

Vahla
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
sacha ~ thanks for the link, I've never done them but they look horrible!

georgiad
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Running. Ugh.
I also hate the StairMaster, hurts like **** and just makes me paranoid that I'm making my bum bigger.
I've never really gotten into yoga either, but I'm not flexible, so...

mandalinn82
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Mountain Climbers
Bicycle Crunches

Most everything else I usually enjoy or at least can deal with. But Mountain Climbers! Ugh!

Ilene
01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Jumping jacks, burpies, mountain climbers, anything that I have to move fast or quickly... even dancing, too much like work for me :lol:

About :yoga: you will get better with time, and if your are NOT flexible, all the more reason to DO :yoga:...

midwife
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I :love: burpees and mountain climbers!!!!! They are so fun!

joyra
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I think the list of things I don't like is longer than what I do like!

I don't care for:
- running (though I do it sometimes, usually in short periods)
- lunges (if I can do them slowly on my own they are okay.. in videos or classes, no)
- planks / anything in plank position that requires movement
- push-ups
- bicycling on hills
- bootcamp-type workouts

Burpees look hard. I don't think I could do it.

Shannon in ATL
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I couldn't agree more! ;) I also hate yoga and pilates. I just never feel like I'm actually doing anything more than stretching and how can you lose weight doing that?

I've actually worn my HRM the last few of my cardio yoga sessions and according to it I burn 150-200 calories per 35 minute session. Also, some of those leave me feeling it in my legs more than my attempts at strength training! (Yes, I know that probably means I need to up the resistance weight on my squats! :) )

MissVitality
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Tricep dips and side planks. Yuck!

FB - please, please, please invest in a sports bra!!!

FB
01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I know! I so need one - I put in some serious exercise time, it's ridiculous that I don't own one.

gymlee
01-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Ugh burpees!!! I forgot all about those! I don't really care for step aerobics but I do it even though it's the one thing that requires coordination that I can't do even though I'm a former dancer and gymnast. You'd think I'd have no problem with it :rolleyes:

JulieJ08
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Tricep dips and side planks. Yuck!

Ah yes, side plank currently falls into my aforesaid category of "whatever yoga pose I'm working on that is too hard for me still." Along with crane.

Schumeany
01-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I do this strength training exercise, I have no idea what it is really called, but I refer to it as "peeing the dog". Basically, I get down on all fours and then lift my leg to the side, knee still bent...like a peeing dog. It BURNS in the hip and outer upper thigh and kind of the outside of the butt. I used to only be able to do about eight each side. I now do two sets of fifteen...but I still feel it. It is kind of a satisfying pain though... :)

mandalinn82
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Julie - Ugh, crane. I had it for a while then totally lost it. Annoying.

Schumeany...I must try peeing the dog!

tarryn
01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
one word- chinups

i cant do them yet but my trainer sort of pushes me up then i have to hold and slowly release down.
my god- kill me

mandalinn82
01-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Schumeany - holy heck! I did 3 sets of 12 on each side...that is a BURNER. But I kind of love it. I wonder if there's a way to weight it...maybe with a band?

That's a hard butt muscle for me to hit...thanks for sharing!

gymlee
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Schumeany - holy heck! I did 3 sets of 12 on each side...that is a BURNER. But I kind of love it. I wonder if there's a way to weight it...maybe with a band?

That's a hard butt muscle for me to hit...thanks for sharing!

Add ankle weights. I used to do it in this video called "The Firm: Body Scuplting Basics" and yes, they were total killers! The video is like old school aerobics and strength training but its awesome!

JulieJ08
01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Julie - Ugh, crane. I had it for a while then totally lost it. Annoying.

At first I didn't shift my weight forward enough. Then I got braver. Success! (even if only for 2.5 seconds). Then I almost broke my wrist and nose falling forward ... but I perservere!

Schumeany
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I had been trying to figure out how to weight it myself...I think ankle weight might work, thanks Gymlee, although it seems like weighting it higher up the leg at the bottom of the thigh or knee or top of the calf might work better...I just can't figure out how. Resistance band and attachment maybe? The logistics have befuddled me...

gymlee
01-08-2009, 11:21 PM
I had been trying to figure out how to weight it myself...I think ankle weight might work, thanks Gymlee, although it seems like weighting it higher up the leg at the bottom of the thigh or knee or top of the calf might work better...I just can't figure out how. Resistance band and attachment maybe? The logistics have befuddled me...

I don't really schumeany. :dunno: The whole resistance band seems a little funky to me but if it works then cool. Personally the whole peeing dog is enough of a burn without much more than ankle weights.

Moonlight Mistress
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
These are the exercises I have a hard time doing WITHOUT modifying them.

-Jumping jacks
-Push-ups
-Jump rope

I'm slowly trying to make my body do these, but I always end up going back to the modified versions.

Me too.

Jumping jacks and jump rope bacause I have joint problems and they HURT me.
Push ups because I have no upper body strenght and they are so hard!! But...I'm slowing working on that. I used to not be able to do one in the modified version...now I can do 10 in a row with the modified version. Maybe someday I can graduate to the full blown push up! haha

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Me too.
Push ups because I have no upper body strenght and they are so hard!! But...I'm slowing working on that. I used to not be able to do one in the modified version...now I can do 10 in a row with the modified version. Maybe someday I can graduate to the full blown push up! haha

Six months ago I couldn't do one modified either. Yesterday I was able to do two sets of 15 non-modified (did one set of 15, then did one set of standing cable row on my exercise machine, then went back for the second set of pushups). You can do it!

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Ah yes, side plank currently falls into my aforesaid category of "whatever yoga pose I'm working on that is too hard for me still." Along with crane.

My side plank has gotten pretty good lately, but I can't even begin to do crane. I'm still working on stretching my hamstrings - I think I have actually regressed in the flexibility progress... :(

I do this strength training exercise, I have no idea what it is really called, but I refer to it as "peeing the dog". Basically, I get down on all fours and then lift my leg to the side, knee still bent...like a peeing dog. It BURNS in the hip and outer upper thigh and kind of the outside of the butt. I used to only be able to do about eight each side. I now do two sets of fifteen...but I still feel it. It is kind of a satisfying pain though... :)

One of my OnDemand videos has those in there - I barely make it through the 6 per side on their. Also, one of the cardio yoga routines does that same hip and leg motion but from downward facing dog split. That just about kills me.

gymlee
01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Six months ago I couldn't do one modified either. Yesterday I was able to do two sets of 15 non-modified (did one set of 15, then did one set of standing cable row on my exercise machine, then went back for the second set of pushups). You can do it!

Yay!!!!! It's so exciting when you can get away from doing things the modified way and do it regular! :D Congrats!!!

JulieJ08
01-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Flashbacks to 1980s aerobics classes.. ;) .

Deetle Erin 2009
01-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I haven't done a unmodified push-up in years

/perhaps a new mini-goal

gymlee
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
I haven't done a unmodified push-up in years

/perhaps a new mini-goal

Yes! Yes!!!! Def new mini goal! I can do them but only like 10 so I do the modified ones when working out and doing them with other things.

gymlee
01-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Flashbacks to 1980s aerobics classes.. ;) .

For sure!!! :lol:

Schumeany
01-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Hey Julie -- Hah! Say that while you're actually doing them! They probably kicked everyone's rear back then too...besides, wasn't it called "jazzercise" at some point? My mom had some RECORDS...the vinyl kind that came with books that "showed" you what exercise to do while following the voice on the record...and they had some KILLER tunes. I bet "peeing the dog" was on those too. It stands the test of time...for pain...and the outside of my a$$ is like concrete! Uh...sort of.:)

Angel's_Dust
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I used to do it in this video called "The Firm: Body Scuplting Basics" and yes, they were total killers! The video is like old school aerobics and strength training but its awesome!

I loved doing this exercise from the Firm tape. I've got a bunch of old Firm tapes. I loved them and can't do the new ones. I find them horrible in comparison.

gymlee
01-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I loved doing this exercise from the Firm tape. I've got a bunch of old Firm tapes. I loved them and can't do the new ones. I find them horrible in comparison.

I never tried the new ones. They probably aren't as good as the old ones. There's nothing like the old ones. They are killer!!!!! But in a good way ;)

jaypaul
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Running is too hard on my knees.
I would rather bike