Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #1  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Talking Calling TOPS members

HI, I hope some TOPS friends find this thread!

I am a member of TOPS ON#302. We are a smallish club, but pretty successful. Currently we have 16 members, 6 of whom have achieved KOPS status and kept it for over a year.

I would love to hear from other TOPS members, to compare notes, share accomplishments, bemoan difficulties etc. Cheer!~
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #2  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

I am a member of TOPS LA#312
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #3  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm a member (and co-leader) of TOPS GA #373. We are a big group with about 45 TOPS and 17 KOPS. Actively about half those numbers show up week after week, which still makes a good size group every week.

I love my TOPS group because the encouragement and accountability it gives me. One of the main reasons I ran for co-leader was to force me to show up every week and get on that scale. And even though I have gone through a lot of personal issues over this last year that have kept the scale from moving, my TOPS and KOPS pals have continued with their support. Now that I'm losing again they are my biggest cheerleaders.

Glad to see other TOPS on 3FC!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #4  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

I rejoined a year ago. It is a small group (under 20) but very supportive. We meet during the day and new members have been hard to come by.
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #5  
Knowing I'm worth it!

@Dennise, I think meeting during the day would be tough. Our weigh-in starts at 5:45 and the meeting starts at 7pm. This seems to work very well so people who have to work can come.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

TOPS WI #95

I've been members of other groups, but I just recently joined this one after a two year absence (doing it on my own, didn't turn out so well, although I did manage to lose a little some, I know I'll lose better in a group).

We have 30 members, but only about 20 show up on a regular basis (some are snowbirds and during the winter attend groups in their vacation home areas).

We have a "dime contest" every week. Everyone contributes a dime, and the biggest loser that week gets the prize. I like that better than getting the weight gain fines other groups I've been in used to pay the biggest loser. It always felt like benefitting from others' misfortune (although you could really rake in the dough, if you lost weight during the holidays). I was once in a group in IL, in which I took home more than $20 the week after Christmas (and I think I only lost two pounds that week). The fine was a dime per pound, and it was a pretty big group. I think the average gain was 5 lbs, if I remember right.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #7  
Out is Through

How do I find out if there is a group near me?
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
How do I find out if there is a group near me?
tops.org

The website has a meeting locator
Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Didn't know about this... just googled and there is a meeting every monday 6 miles away. I sent an email to see if I could try on Monday. thanks! I am trying to use every resource I can find!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #10  
Knowing I'm worth it!

Hey I like that dime contest idea! I will have to present that to the group. For our biggest losers of the week we have this groovy song they get to listen to us sing to them, while they were a faux diamond tiara. They also get a ribbon. Eight ribbons add up to one charm. We do put money in a jar for if we gain weight and that money is divided up between the monthly best loser and the SRD fund.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #11  

TOPS is awesome! It's inexpensive enough to feel like you can take weight off at a healthy pace.

I went to a weekly meeting when I was losing weight. Thank you for the reminder ... I am going to look for a group in my new neighborhood.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #12  

And if there is no local meeting or no meeting that meets when you can go, or you don't like the group(s) near you, it only takes 4 members to start a chapter.

I've met a lot of people (some former Weight Watcher's members who preferred the WW format), who for some reason didn't like their local TOPS group (ranging from "everyone's too old," to people weren't friendly enough, or were "too friendly"...).

When people tell me that, I say "why don't you start your own group then, because most of the rules are determined by the group members voting on it."-

If you want a different kind of TOPS group, you only have to find three other people who agree with you on what type of group you want.

There are three TOPS meetings within 20 minutes of our house, and each one has a different feel to the group. One does a lot of contests (almost too many to keep track). One barely even has a meeting at all (just weigh-in and a few minutes of chatting). I picked the group "in the middle."

The group I'm in now, also does a mystery auction every month. Everyone who wants to participates brings in a wrapped prize with a "clue" as to the contents and then members bid on the prizes (about $1 to $5 seems to be the winning bid for most). Because of this auction, the prizes tend to be a little larger. For example each month if you did not have a gain and did not miss a meeting, you split $10 with whoever has done the same. They have something similar at the end of the year, and the prize is larger (up to $21.00 I think).

The little incentives really keep me motivated.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-05-2010 at 08:34 PM.