Weight Loss Support - Positives Only!!!! Daily Affirmation Thread ...

Amarantha2
05-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Ever onward, guys! I think whoever suggested a special thread for positive thinking was on to something. It'd be neat to have a weight/fitness support group on here devoted only to posting daily POSITIVE ONLY reports and affirmations of how the eating and fitness is going. I believe I will post and see if anyone bites! :)

I posted the above on the "What Are We Hungry For" thread that is so faithfully kept going by LuckyLadyBug and discusses the emotional and psychological aspects of weight loss and/or maintenance. I think it was the selfsame LLB that suggested there be an offshoot of this thread as a support group for positive thinking only related to the health, weight, fitness, spiritual or whatever relates to the struggle (we all know what the struggle is, so I won't try to define it). I apologize if it was someone else's idea, but I am aging rapidly and my memory is not what it once was.

I'd simply love it if every single person on this entire, whole forum and all lurkers would post a daily thought, affirmation, report or whatever as to how their personal weight loss/fitness journey (or anything else) is going.

I need to think positive, guys, and I find everyone on this forum so helpful in inspiring me to do so! So post (or not, but not would be a negative) if you want. (Not intended to replace anyone's group, just a different bandwagon to jump on if anyone has time).

:s: :devil: :cool:

My positive reflection about myself today is that on Sunday I hopped on the scale as usual and found I'd gained again. But instead of going on a new dulce de leche binge, I managed to jump back on my weight loss program (which is two exercise sessions per day and controlled calories at various levels). I still have pain today but it is less as I've been doing SLOW exercise, taking medication and eating healthfully. At this point I have put back 30 pounds of the 100 I took off over the past few years. I will reverse the trend. (I do not post my exact weight ... sets up a negative reaction in my brain).

Anyone else?

boatingmommy
05-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Yes...happy thought are the cure. Positive mental attitude leads to positively smaller butts!

Well, here's my happy thought for today. I MUST go and buy some shorts that fit. I have lost enough that I have gone beyond the plateau of two years ago (went from 245 to 175, then put about 15 of it back on). I now have no more short, or jeans, that fit and look respectable. I am too old for the loose-fitting, ragged look. So...with credit card in hand I shall rejoice in buying new clothes! (My husband will rejoice until the bill comes!:o )

Boating mommy

echristo
05-07-2002, 09:13 PM
My positive though for the day is that I stayed within my WW points today and I even had some chocolate ice cream. I didnt cheat journalizing either. I also think I did fairly well on my linear algebra exam. I am feeling like I accomplished something good today. I hope I can keep up with being honest with myself...talk to you soon Crone!

Boatingmommy...congrats on the pants!!! I bought new ones a few weeks ago and they are loose on me now. I still dont feel like I look how I want to look but I know how you feel!

Wildfire
05-07-2002, 09:35 PM
It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since I gave up any kind of pop (soda to you Americans, I guess, at least according to my American hubby.) I was drinking diet, caffeine-free Coke, but I don't miss it. Replaced it with ice water and I'm feeling much better in general. AND I've lost four pounds in the last two weeks.

Great idea Crone. I've always enjoyed your posts and tune in regularly to see what the latest "game" is. :D

Marlana
05-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Hi all~~ I like the idea of this thread. My positive thought for today is, "WE ARE NOT FAILURES UNTIL WE GIVE UP." Battles we have lost and will lose again, but the war isn't over. Have a nice day.

MomTo2Boys
05-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Hi Crone....and everyone else....Ok....my positive thought for today....

"I am going to give my best shot at getting back on track.....I know I will have a rough go at it...but if I at least try....I am doing better than not trying..."

LisaL

angel-eyes
05-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi Crone. So nice to see your post on this one. On my weigh in last week, my leader lead an excercise on positive self-esteem. We were given an excerise of looking at ourselves in the mirror for 1 minute. While looking at ourself, tell yourself some of your positive attributes. So far, I've only thought about this and have not practised it. TODAY I WILL DO THIS EXCERSISE!!!

Amarantha2
05-08-2002, 10:47 AM
... checking in with several positive entries ... the first being a huge THANK YOU for the gift of sharing your happy thoughts! As Boatingmommy says, *Happy thought are the cure. Positive mental attitude leads to positively smaller butts!* (Congratulations on breaking through the plateau and developing that need for NEW JEANS!) :)

My report for today is that I positively did binge on dulce de leche milk (not to mention some Cheetoes) on the way home from the meeting I was covering last night BUT today I am drinking lots of water and have already had a long, slow walk of an hour's duration. I am POSITIVE I am back on track and am beating the dulce de leche monkey on my back!
:cool:

It is a beautiful day and I am alive. What could be better than that?

Echristo: I am POSITIVE you aced your algebra class ... quite a feat in my view, as math makes me sick to my stomach! :) Everytime I read your posts, I'm impressed. You are such a together person and so in charge of yourself. You will go far (and have fun on the way).

Angel-Eyes: I love the mirror exercise and think I will add it daily. I like to remind myself that though the Evil Negative Voice likes to tell me I am a fat, old and ugly cranky person, I'm really a fit, young and incredibly beautiful kind-hearted crone. (This could take work!)

Mom: *... but if I at least try....I am doing better than not trying...* You bet.
GO FOR IT! Your best shot is sure to produce results! :)

Marlana: *WE ARE NOT FAILURES UNTIL WE GIVE UP!* Amen. Somewhere I read that many people *fail* because they don't realize how close they are to success when they quit trying.

Wildfire: WTG on the four pounds and the NO MORE POP! Replacing diet soda with ice water is a good idea. I'm thinking of getting some root beer or cola extract and adding a drop to my water bottle to see if it gives it a flavor boost. One thing I positively know is that in Arizona in the summer (fall, winter, spring, too) I need to add more water and less sugar to my day and I WILL DO IT!

Power Charge! Onward & Downward! Today is the first day of the rest of our lives (to be lived with smaller and/or firmer butts, as the case may require)!

MomTo2Boys
05-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Crone....I am glad I have not found that dulce de leche here.....ha ha....cause I have heard so many of you saying how it is to you like cryptonite is to superman....and we know how weak it makes him......but your still trying....thats better than throwing in the towel....

Ok....I gotta admit...I didnt start my day off great....I baked cookies yesterday for the boys...( I generally overbake what I should so I can freeze them in small baggies to thaw as snacks for the boys)....well I ended up eating like 4 for breakfast today....SOOO....from here on in....I am going to force myself to quit all this overeating and over indulgence.....I am the RULER of my body....( at least I like to think I am...ha ha) and I SHOULD be in complete control of what enters my mouth....so.....as of right now.....I will take a long hard stab at eating less and not eating all the junk I have been craving....(of course TOM is here which generally gives me a massive sweet tooth...but it should be over soon).....

Angel....good idea on the mirror....might have to try that....How are things going for you? How are E, L & M doing? Well I hope!...Jesse is still in a lot of discomfort.....he has awoken me 3 nights in a row now ... seems to bother him mostly during the night and early morning....he wanted to go back to school today but I dare not let him till tomorrow or Friday....

Anyhoot.....like crone said...."It's a beautiful day and I am alive, what could be better?".....It is gorgeous here and I am going to go enjoy it.....take care all...LisaL

katrinabgood
05-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Hey, I like this idea! Daily positive affirmation...just what I need! I'd love to share, if I may...

I am a regular on another thread, and one of the gals there shared the following quote with us yesterday...for some reason, it has had such an effect on me...a good one...it has just stayed with me and so I have had two great, successful, hopeful days on program...

Betty wrote:

After being OP for just over a year that's the question I have never asked myself about losing this weight. If I did, the answer would always be the same. I want it more than anything else I can imagine.

What I am saying is that I know I want to lose the weight with everything that I am and everything that I have. At this point, there is no option to stop or go back to the way it was before. This means I will do journal, count points, eat OP even when I WANT to eat off program. It means that my selfish desire to cheat gets swept away by my overwhelming commitment to me to get thin.

In my opinion, that's how much commitment you need to make to yourself in order to succeed. It's not a question of IF you can do this but WILL you do this.

Everyone CAN do WW. Everyone CAN lose weight. In my opinion it really is a question of how bad you want it. You have to want this enough to stop doing the things that got us here and to start doing the things that will get us where we want to be. I hope this makes sense.

145.6 lbs and counting!
OP Since 2/6/2001 - 5'4''
On my way to being 'Fabulous by Forty!'
As of 6/13/2001 I am no longer a 350# woman!!
As of 11/23/2001 I am no longer a 300# woman!!
BMI: WAS 66 - NOW 43
397.6 / 252 / 144

This is the kick in the A$$ that I needed...look at those stats! This is DO-ABLE! I just have to DO IT! And I will! And so will all of us, if we keep that goal in mind and make it more important than everything else.

Keep up the positive chatter...it's great!

Mickey
05-09-2002, 12:53 AM
What a marvelous Idea!

This is wonderful. No negative vibes! I think this is something we all need on our journey to a healthier life!

I am trying (no, I AM going) to get back to my goal weight. This is something to which we each hold the key, all we have to do is be in control of our actions. And we all have it within ourselves to be successful. So let's apply positive rather than negative attitudes each day! Start out each day with a smile on our faces and meet the challenges head on!

Good luck to each of you!

A Friend

Marlana
05-09-2002, 07:28 AM
Morning Ladies,
I have a hard day coming up today, well not really, but it could be unless I get my mind in the right place to begin with. My Sister is coming today and she really really gets on my nerves. Our personalitys just clash. But I've made up my mind that no matter what she says I will not let it bother me one bit. I know this works, I've done it before in situations out of my control. Right now I will start self talk telling myself that I will not let anything she says get to me and that I will sail through the day. AND I WILL. :) Have a good day everybody. And remember everything starts in our own minds, either negitive or possitive.

Amarantha2
05-09-2002, 11:00 AM
Or: All things are possible to positive people! (Especially weight management

Does anyone remember Pollyanna? I used to think that was a silly book, but the older (no, more mature and wiser) I get, the more I like what Polly preached: No matter how bad things get, we can always find something to be glad about.

I'm applying that to my weight management report for the day. Yesterday, thinking that I would go back on my total program after the slight deviation involving dulce de leche and cheetoes, I did well all day. Then I bought some great low cal ice cream bars that I like and ate a few (quite a few) more than I planned. Then some stress happened and I ate a few more. Then I stopped and lo THERE ARE MANY, MANY BARS LEFT IN THE BOX. So my calorie count was high but I realized THIS WAS NOT A BINGE! I needed a higher count day to transition back to lower calories, but I did my exercises, drank water, studied, finished my work assignment and felt generally in control of life (if I were still a negative person, I'd say that's when life generally kicks one in the a$$, but even if that happens, I would know the good news that I'M STILL ALIVE AND KICKING BACK!)

Katrinabgood: Thanks for posting Betty's story. She's an amazing inspiration. I read the post last night and it really helped me. Bears repeating:

***In my opinion it really is a question of how bad you want it. You have to want this enough to stop doing the things that got us here and to start doing the things that will get us where we want to be. I hope this makes sense.*** ~ Betty

Mom: Hmmm, that's a good way to look at dulce de leche milk ... it seems to empower me and make me feel as strong as Superwoman (or Isis ... heroine of an old Saturday morning kid's show, which I guess is dating me by mentioning. I always wanted to be her) ... BUT WHEN THE EUPHORIA WEARS OFF, THE EFFECT IS MUCH AS ANY OTHER UNHEALTHY SUBSTANCE WE PUT IN OUR BODY ... IT WEAKENS US. In this case, the dulce de leche's 18 grams of fat and 480 calories in a tiny bottle clogs my arteries, undermines my self-improvement program and packs on pounds of fat. THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THIS, THOUGH, IS THAT FIGHTING OFF THE LURE OF THE STUFF MAKES ME STRONGER. Each time I resist, my willpower strengthens and this carries over into every aspect of life, not just weight management. Have I mentioned the little bottles have a picture of a popular baseball player on the label? An athelete drinking this stuff? The positive side of that is that I recognize the duplicity and profit motive that went into putting him on an unhealthy product. (It'd be ok to drink ONE now and then, I think! Surely I can drink just ONE?)

Mickey: Hello. Thanks for posting. *NO NEGATIVE VIBES!* I'm going to get to my goal, too! I've never reached the goal I set out for when I lost the major weight, but that's all to the good. It keeps me on my toes (figuratively speaking) and reminds me it's the journey that counts, anyhow.

Marlana: I know you are right: *EVERYTHING STARTS IN OUR OWN MIND!* I am telling myself that hourly now. Things I might see as negative, I'm telling myself are challenges. Negatives are morphing into challenges, just as I'm morphing into a fitter person. (I'm already gorgeous.) :cool: Enjoy your visit with your sister. I know what it's like to clash with a sibling ... the flip side of this I sometimes think is how great it is to have a sibling. ;)

I would apologize for the length of this post and for the SHOUTING, but apologies are kind of negative, I think, so I'll just assume everyone is used to the fact that I am capable of typing forever or until I get hungry at any rate.

Peace to all! Everything comes to her who waits and that includes a better WAIST!

MomTo2Boys
05-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Good morning ladies....well I must start off by saying my positive thought for today is that .... I finally think I am back on track...I woke up this morning feeling very positive....and I didnt start the day off eating a bunch of JUNK....I think I am going to take a stab at counting calories this time....I have tried WW's twice and liked it both times....but I think I need to try something new and different!!!....Can anyone tell me what a good caloric intake range is for me???

I am feeling very confident in myself this morning and I feel like I CAN DO THIS....and I WILL DO THIS.....god help me!!!

Take care all.....LisaL

Crone.....I love that movie Pollyanna...I bought that years ago because I just loved it when I was growing up.....and she did always find the good in people....too bad we cant find the good in ourselves so easily all the time!!!

boatingmommy
05-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Don't have time for much....but here's a happy thought....I am looking forward to the day when I can tell if I have lint in my belly button just by looking....no poking a finger in to see!:dizzy: Hope that puts a smile on some faces!

Boating Mommy

MomTo2Boys
05-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Ha Ha Ha...I got a good chuckle out of the being able to see the lint in your belly button and not finger it out......what a hoot....but it sure would be nice to be able to see in it without turning it upwards....!!!

Well....I am definately positive today....I have not strayed at all .... of course the day has not ended yet but I have faith in myself to remain OP.....heres to hoping you all survived another day!!!

Amarantha2
05-09-2002, 10:46 PM
I found a caramel milk drink (dulce de leche) that is in a 16-ounce bottle (I think the little ones I love are 11-oz or thereabouts), made with lowfat milk, it has 460 calories per 16-oz (which is two servings, but who doesn't drink the whole thing?) and 10 grams of fat, as well as somewhat less sugar than the kind I love. I only bought and drank one bottle ... my obsession was calmed and less damage was done to my body! THIS IS A POSITIVE THING!

Boatingmommy: I am smiling and chuckling, too, at the picture of you checking out your belly button! More motivation: Have you ever worn a jewel in there? I once took belly dancing lessons and stuck a little fake stone in there when I wore my costume! That was awhile ago in life, maybe I need to do it again. :)

Mom: My day is not over yet, either, but like you, I'm positive it'll end on a good note. BTW, counting calories has always worked better for me than using exchanges or points, but all are workable and fun. There's a specific scientific formula to estimate your correct calorie range (it's in lots of places on the web ... the site for The Business Plan for the Body has a good calculator for this, or did the last time I looked). Some of these are a little off, in my view, though. I lost 100 pounds going no lower than 1500-2000 calories a day. Lower than 1200 and you're not going to get the nutrition you need and your body tends to conserve energy, metabolism dips, you know the drill.

A quick general rule is to mentally assess whether your daily activity level is high, medium or low. If it's high, multiply your weight by 15 for your calorie level; medium, multiply by 12; low, multiply by 10.

Have fun! IT'S ALL A GAME!

Oops, shouting again!

I'm stopping now. Bye!

MomTo2Boys
05-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Crone...good news for you on the new low fat dulce de leche....and thanks for the info on the calories...it came up with like 2176 calories for me to use....I think thats too high so I will go with between 1700-1800 per day....and I guess if ever I need to go over I will still be in the clear.....dont you think???

Well, I ended yesterday using just between 1200-1300 calories and I am so darn proud of myself for remaining truthful and on plan.....so this is my positive thought for today:

Another day today like yesterday and I am well on my way to a new beginning!!!

Thanks for all the support and ideas you all lend....it sure helps a lot of us!!!

Take care...LisaL

Amarantha2
05-10-2002, 10:33 AM
And reflecting on a whole, entire night in which I slept and did not get up and ingest ANY calories. That's a really fine achievement for me and also reflects a healthier level of thinking than I've been experiencing. Already had a short fitness walk. :D

I am proud of you, too, Mom!!! I do think 2176 is a bit high for weight loss! :lol: But yes you can probably binge that high and not have a problem. Most people need to eat more than they think to lose and maintain weight ... it's important to assess activity correctly, too. Very active means going, going, going all day and very intense and frequent athletic exercise sessions. A cool idea is to train yourself to generally eat in the correct calorie range for the weight you want to be. So you eat the highest number of calories you can to lose, say, a pound or two in a week. As your weight is lowered, though, you have to lower the calories or increase exercise if you can do that without overtraining. At goal weight, you'd plateau for a long, long time and you should be able to gradually add some calories back.

It all takes time, but what's the hurry?

It's a lifetime commitment, though, those pounds of fat want to come back and our old tapes start to play and old ways of thinking start to intrude into our daily life ... BUT the good news is WE HAVE THE CAPACITY TO CHANGE AS LONG AS WE ARE ALIVE. ;)

Motivators I Am Keeping in Mind For Today:

I have a page from Runner's World magazine (2/02, Motivations, 28) on my refrigerator. It has a picture and short blip about Gerry Davidson. She turned 81 years old in March. On May 27, 2001, she ran a mile in 9:00.52, "the fastest time ever for a woman 80 and older," RW says. SHE IS SMILING. I want to be her when I grow up.

On the same page, under "Words to Live By" is a quote from Roger Robinson, New Zealand masters runner and author: "The experts are always telling us to 'Listen to your body." If I listened to my body, I'd live on toffee bars and port wine. Don't tell me to listen to my body~it's trying to turn me into a blob."

Amen.

katrinabgood
05-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Sunshine, blue skies, birdies chirping, flowers blooming...I love Spring! I'm going to keep the spring-like attitude of new beginnings...each new day is another chance to be better than the last one...no regrets...keep moving forward...

That's all for now...keep smiling!

echristo
05-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Crone: Thank you soooo much for the comment. It feels so good to hear such nice and positive things from people who barely know you. (Although, I feel like I kind of know you...or at least know how you feel) I know that you can beat the dulce de leche. Sometimes though it is too easy to give into temptation. If there were only a way to keep food off my mind when I am stressed! Anyways: My positive thought for the day comes from a song, " Hey, dont write yourself off yet. It's only in your mind to feel left out and looked down on. Just do your best. Try everything you can. Don't worry if it's good enough for someone else. It just takes some time little girl your in the middle....everything everything will be alright...alright!" -- Jimmy Eat World. That is really the groups name!
I had a great day today. A few co-workers and I went into NYC and watched the Veiw Broadcast live. I saw Barbara Walters, Susan Dey and Harry Hamlin. It was a beautiful day and for once I felt good and beautiful. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
For all the Mommy's out there.....HAPPY MOTHERS DAY. Dont forget to enjoy yourselves and relax. Treat yourself to something decadent! You deserve it!

katrinabgood
05-10-2002, 08:02 PM
What is this "dulce de leche" I keep reading about? It sounds like something decadent and wonderful...ummmm...on second thought, maybe I don't need to know...another temptation in my life really isn't what I need!

On a positive note...I have been OP all day, got my bills paid, some errands run AND managed a good exercise session...not to mention that it is an absolutely gorgeous day and I planted the pretty flowers that my sweet son bought for me at his school's plant fair.

Life is good.

Amarantha2
05-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Good news, good news, good news: Yesterday I passed on the dulce de leche during two trips to the convenience store whilst out 'n about!!! Yay! At the grocery store I bought that kind of fat free milk that's flavor augmented to taste like 2 percent and I bought some fat free caramel ice cream syrup and you can guess the delicious result! Much healthier.

Yesterday also I was thinking how well I am doing on my Pollyanna program, stopping negative self-talk and smiling at people when I want to growl at them. I know this will translate to greater health, happiness and a fantastically fit body at some point.

Positive Post Stolen From Around the Board (Amyjo01): "I firmly believe that someone had been guiding me where I was suppose to go the whole time but I just coudn't make up my mind to listen and since I have I have been happier than I have in the past 13 years. I believe if you're getting signs.. whether they are from my God or yours then it is probably time for a change. ... Hugs to you!!!!!! Amy

Katrinabgood: I love your screen name! Dulce de leche milk is just thick caramel flavored milk. A regional dairy here has put out a version of this evil stuff that is loaded with fat and calories and put the picture of a well-known baseball player on it. I shouldn't call it evil because that is a negative ... it is rather "taste-tempting" I guess! :)

Echristo: Sounds like you are having a great life! Thanks for the song. One of my favorite inspirations is the "I hope you dance" song and I'm sorry I can't bring to mind the name of the country singer who wrote it and performs it. (I think she wrote it, anyway). I often cover graduations and have heard it so many times and it kind of makes me cry (in a positive way, of course)! What did Barbara Walters look like in person?

"And if you get the chance, to sit it out or dance ... I hope you dance. I hope you dance." ~ Apologies to whoever holds the copyright on this song, I can't think of your name, but you are great! :)

MomTo2Boys
05-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Wishing all the moms on the boards a very Happy Mother's Day....enjoy...we deserve!!!

As for my positive thought today....I weighed myself after being on the calorie counting plan for 3 days....and I was down 2lbs....so.....I am on my way to a new me....and I will do my best to keep up the loss!!!

Hoping you all are having a great weekend....not sure whats on the agenda today....they arent telling me around here.....but I will have fun....(as long as the boys behave....ha ha...)

Take care all...LisaL

katrinabgood
05-12-2002, 10:49 AM
There is a lovely, soft rain falling here...the kind that makes everything look so green. My lawn and my flowers are being watered. No pressure to go out and do more yard work. Great day for a walk, with an umbrella! The car is being rinsed of all the signs of a busy bird population around here. I don't have to blow dry my hair...it will just curl up anyway! :)

Happy Mothers Day!

Marlana
05-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Happy Mom's day Ladies~~When I started to write on this thread I thought it was just for positive affirmations. I had never intended to try and write to each and everyone everyday. Then I seen the rest of you were. I haven't been here for a few days although I have been reading the thread everyday. I've been really depressed for a few days. Fighting food, winning sometimes and not winning sometimes. Any kind of a holiday usually throws me into a depression. I have 2 children, son and daughter, neither of them contact me on Mother's day. Hubby takes off for his Mom's and I'm home a lone. I am going to treat myself this afternoon. (not food) I'm going to town and buy myself a computer program called PhotoImpact. It's a editing program. I love making stationery for Outlook Express.

~~Congratsto those of you who have lost weight, and to those of you who haven't, but haven't given up.

~~PAIN If it were not for pain, I wouldn't be here on this board. Only when the pain of compulsive overeating become worse than the pain it was intended to kill did I become willing to abandon the pretense of controlling my life. Getting in touch with my pain is a new experience. Until the day it brought me to my knees, food was my first line of defense against any and all pain, even that caused by the food itself. I have come to understand that I must let myself feel the pain before I can recover. My positive affirmation for today, I'm not choosing to avoid the pain by stuffing my face with excess food.
I feel better now that I wrote that out. Thanks for being here, and hang in there, we all know this won't be easy.

Amarantha2
05-12-2002, 12:17 PM
President of The Pollyanna League (I elected myself), reporting on another week lived in my beautiful state. Last night was magic. One could see the stars (doesn't always happen what with light pollution and such) and there was a hint of a cool breeze in the air.

My weight report is positive also, even though I am up a half a pound ... the positive part of this is that I feel motivated to really start to change. I KNOW I MUST GO IN THE OTHER DIRECTION! I need to get 30 pounds off my knees and I WILL DO IT! The buck stops here. Amen.

Marlana: I don't think it matters whether we answer each other or just do the positive affirmations. Either is nice and whatever one wants to do at a given moment ought to be the Pollyanna League rule! :dizzy: I just tend to go on and on sometimes.

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings on this Mom's Day. I'm actually only a mom of Old Dog, Silly Cat and Budgie Duo, but I know what loneliness feels like and how sometimes people we love don't understand our needs. But I love the way you've turned your first reaction to this day into a positive ... first by venting it (an essential) and then by GOING SHOPPING!! :s: I'm going to write a paper for school and then GO SHOPPING, too. I plan to buy Minwax, rasps and tack cloth for my woodcarving.

Great affirmation about not stuffing down the pain with food. Something to think about everytime my hand tries to mindlessly reach my mouth.

I do not believe pain is a negative. Sometimes pain is unavoidable and can't be cured. In these cases, finding ways to live with it is the only option and this can be a learning and enobling experience. Some pain, temporary or chronic, can be a catalyst for change and growth. For me, the recognition of pain and how I tend to stuff it down with food was a happy revelation and the best thing that could have ever happened to me in regard to health.

Katrinabgood: Happy Mom's Day to you, too! You gave me a lift with your thoughts of rain. Sometimes I forget about what rain feels like for months and months. We do have it here upon occasion, though, but it is usually quite dramatic and messy and causes lots of problems (they don't seem to know about storm drains in this state).

Mom: An equally Happy Mom's Day to you! Congratulations on the TWO & THE NEW YOU! Hope you have great fun with whatever your boys have cooked up for you.

MY POSITIVE AFFIRMATION FOR TODAY: "Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger!"

Nothing killed me yesterday, so I'm undoubtedly stronger today. I can accomplish whatever I set out to accomplish ... and if I don't, I can rewind the tape and try again.

echristo
05-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Crone: I am gald to hear about your version of the evil one. I use a great skim milk...it's called skim milk plus and it's in a purple container. It tastes just like whole to me. Barbara looked great in person. She must have had some plastic surgery. Although I did find her to be a little uptight and full of herself. The rest of the girls played a joke on her. Apparently she like to collect toiletries from every hotel that she's stayed at. So they called her husband and asked him to send them to the show. THey had a huge box full of them. She must have been embarassed because she gave it all away to the audience. I was lucky to get a book of nail files that she took from the Ritz Paris. It was really funny.

MomTo2Boys
05-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Good morning all...hope you mommies had a great day yesterday and even those of you who arent mommies.....!!!....We went and spent the morning at the mall and the only one who got anything was Jesse...(big shocker...NOT...)...I didnt really feel much like getting anything....I feel too fat to buy new clothes right now and I wanted to wait to buy anything else until after we move and I know what I need...want....ha ha

Anyhoot....my positive thought for today is that its the beginning of a new week and I have been pretty faithful to counting calories now for ummmm 5 days....and thats a BIG plus!!!....I finally got hubby back on track as well and that makes it easier....because we tend to challenge one another by telling each other on weigh in days how much we LOST....!!!

Gotta scoot for now.....gonna get my chores done on this yucky dreary overcast day.....And maybe this evening I will go to the mall and get myself something small...maybe some new make-up

By the way.....can anyone tell me if there are any good websites out there where you can find the caloric content of almost any food...such as fresh fruits, veggies, etc.????

Thanks.....and take care.....have a great day...LisaL

Venus Envy
05-13-2002, 09:39 AM
On Saturday, I racewalked 22 miles in 5 hours, 24 minutes.

(( (( whoo hoo! )) ))

I love this body, and it loves me ... just as I am. And in 2 weeks and 6 days, I'm doing the Rock & Roll Marathon. Just as I am.

betty crocker
05-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Hello everyone:wave:

Today is the day that the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Live each day moment by momet, step by step, we aren't promised tommorrow. Be a blessing to someone and by that you will be blessed. :lol:

MomTo2Boys
05-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Venus.....way to go...that is so great that you did the racewalk and plan to do the rock n roll marathon.....what an inspiration!!!

Good luck to you on the next marathon...please let us know how you made it thru!!!

Amarantha2
05-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Short on time today (the good thing about that is that I am so happy, busy and engaged in life, I can't afford to waste a minute of it!). :)

Anyhow, thought I'd pretend this is an ivy-covered old stone meeting hall in a cozy village situated in some tree-laden and COOL climate. For the past three years, members of Pollyanna League (dedicated to the "pollyannish" idea that however bad things get, there's always something to be glad about) had been meeting here once a week to share positive thoughts about life and weight loss/maintenance. Once a month they hold a potluck dinner and invite their friends, families, and the whole village, except for a couple of grouches who've been warned their negative attitudes would not be tolerated. On a day in late spring, the Pollyanna League's cork bulletin board contained the following items, written on a variety of cards, stickies, envelope backs and the like and stuck up with colored thumbtacks of a uniform size:

***Venus Envy has proven herself among the elite world-class racewalkers and has racewalked 22 miles in just over 5 hours. Be sure to go out and cheer her on in a few weeks when she competes in the Rock & Roll Marathon. ROCK ON, VE!!!***

***Momto2Boys has proven faithful to calorie counting for FIVE DAYS! She's positive this is having the desired effect of making her feel comfortable in the new jeans she's going to buy (she's going to look so good in those jeans, she'll stop traffic!).***

(P.S. Mom, I replied to your calorie counting query on the thread you put up about it!)

***THIS DAY COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE BETTER!!!***

Amarantha2
05-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Betty Crocker! What a delicious screen name. Betty is one of my favorite people.

You are right, we CAN do anything! :)

MomTo2Boys
05-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Crone....I must say its good to have you back and so darn pumped with energy your rocking the whole meeting hall....you go girl...I dont know if I will stop traffic for the good or bad...LOL...but either way I at least stopped it....ha ha ha

Like you I've not much time to post much right now as its time for me to get the boys down for the night....but I wish you all well....and crone...thanks for your input on the other thread.....

Take care all...LisaL

Amarantha2
05-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Mom: Hope you got your jeans and are reveling in your gorgeousness by now! When traffic stops, you KNOW it's for the good and that all are admiring you in the most respectful way, knowing that the new jeans reflect not so much a physical reality but the determination, strength and discipline it took to reach that particular jean-level. :cool:

My Positive Pollyanna Plan for Today:Knowing that TODAY really is the first day of the rest of my life and that I am so grateful to be ALIVE for this day, I'm going to enjoy all my activities (even laundry), put only a reasonable amount of wonderful food in my body (which still serves me well, though I so often criticize it, overfeed it and generally treat it worse than I'd treat a stray dog in the street).

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." ~ Ancient Philosopher (I don't know who said this, but he/she was on to something)

Peace ... if it's not here today, it's bound to arrive tomorrow, world!

MomTo2Boys
05-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Crone....I have not yet bought any new jeans....I am waiting until I have shed a few more pounds....and then I will feel ok about buying new clothes....I love that little quote about how every big journey begins with small steps...how true is that.....and about treating your body worse than you would treat a stray dog...cracked me up....I think most of us abuse ourselves more than we would a stray dog!!!

My positive thought for today is: I finally feel like I am back on track for the first time in a long time.....I think I am riding my wave and hopefully its a straight on wave and not an UP DOWN wave.....but I have faith in myself and I believe I can do this!!!....I weighed in this morning after emptying my bladder and not eatting anything or drinking anything and I was down to 176lbs.....which is SOOOO EXCITING TO ME....I FEEL LIKE DANCING.....LOL....so I have taken off 5 of the 11 pounds I had lost a few months ago......!!!

So....here's to wishing you all a great day and hope your well!!!

Take care all....LisaL

P.S. I too love that name Betty Crocker...especially her turtle or cheesecake brownies...ha ha

boatingmommy
05-14-2002, 12:26 PM
I know that I heard something similar to this when I was a child at a sermon in church, or on a movie...or in a book, Wherever! .... Life is a rollercoaster. Sometimes it's up and sometimes it's down. It's great when you can feel secure and put your hands in the air and get that feeling of being free, yet safe. But you know that hair raising dip is just around the corner....scary. But part of the thrill of being on the roller coaster is having to hold on tight to get through the scariest parts. And you do. What fun would the roller coaster, or life, be if it was all hands in the air??? The dip and spirals are what makes us appreciate the easier, carefree times. I think this is also true with dieting. It takes the pain and frustration sometimes to appreciate the results of a thinner happier you. I am looking forward to a happier, "hands in the air" feeling with my body. But, I know for me that I will always have to watch out for the dips and turns because that's the way I am.
Okay...kind of too deep for me. I'm usually the lint in the belly button kind of person.

Be good to yourself, and your self will be good to you!
Boating:cool:

Venus Envy
05-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Crone, you are truly a treasure!

MomTo2Boys
05-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Well a quick note to say I have managed to remain faithful on plan today and am right now at only 965 calories and I feel like I have eatten a lot...so I guess I need to go fetch me a snack and then finish dishes, laundry, and some packing.....going on day 6 of being on plan...yahoooooo

Amarantha2
05-15-2002, 12:30 PM
... positively must hurry out door! :)

BUT: I do have some affirmations and personal good news that I would like to share. One good thing is though I met up with some dulce de leche last night, I am POSITIVE (absolutely) I will never touch the stuff again. I don't know how I know this, I just do.

My second personal good news thing is that I have cleaned out a whole cupboard that was bothering me and now the lady who helps me out with cleaning will not have to mess with it! Yay! (She will have more time to talk to me and fill me in on the neighbors!) ;)

My personal affirmation for today is "Yay, I am alive and getting thinner and thinner." (Reminds me of Coue ... not sure if this is correct spelling. 'Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better.' And for me, 'Every day in every way, I'm getting thinner and thinner.')

"Today is brand-new with no mistakes in it ... yet." ~ From Anne of Green Gables books, not sure which one and not sure who said it and not sure if it's a correct quote and not sure if it is from the books or just the old TV series. Apologies to Canadians. ;)

My Advice To Everybody: Have a wonderful, positive day, whatever it takes. Stay healthy. Racewalk. (I love that sport, VE).

sheila_220
05-15-2002, 12:41 PM
"one step at a time"

well my postive is I went shopping yesterday and bought a pair of size 10 levi's. it's been over 10 years since I've been able to fit into a size 10.

sheila

MomTo2Boys
05-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Well, day #7 is here OP and I gotta admit....I am doing pretty good...but then those thoughts roll in to my head that what harm will it do to just splurge this one time....and I have managed to keep it under control.......so thats a HUGE success for me

Crone...good for you on the feeling that you will no longer drink your "kryptonite"......LOL....and congrats on getting that cupboard cleaned out.....what a hoot that was reading how you would now have time to catch up on neighbor gossip....ha ha ha....reminds me of my mom when I was growing up....her and her girlfriends would sit out on the deck or beside the pool gossiping about the neighbors......LOL

Anyhow...gotta run for now....I have managed to pack all my jammies up and all the linens from bathroom closet except for one towel/face cloth each....and I should do some more....closing day is now ... lemme see....5 days away....yahooooooooo......

Take care...LisaL

Amarantha2
05-16-2002, 04:46 AM
... sort of! It's a quarter to three and there's no one in the place, except me and me ... actually, it's a quarter after one and I'm still havin' fun! :) So I'm considering it officially Thursday, which is the day I like best in the week. The good news is though I can't sleep, I feel calm and cheerful (not hyper, not bingeing, not anxious).

My Personal Pollyanna Pledge for Today: I'm going to have fun and stay within my calorie range and exercise moderately.

GOOD NEWS: Breaking a 10-year barrier, Sheila has reached the milestone of wearing size 10 jeans! :cool: WTG, Sheila!

Note to Mom: Haven't reached for the kryptonite in over 24 hours. This monkey's off my back! :dizzy: Congratulations on your success in the "what harm will it do to splurge just this one time" battle. I know how hard this one is! (And it's impressive you're hanging in on the fitness front during the stress of moving, which is one of the most challenging things in life. After you accomplish this, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING!).

Motivation Department: ***I am looking forward to a happier, 'hands in the air' feeling with my body. But, I know for me that I will always have to watch out for the dips and turns because that's the way I am.*** ~ Boatingmommy

Boating: I love the 'hands in the air' description of that happy feeling of being fit and in tune. Thanks. Keep on watching out for the dips! :)

katrinabgood
05-16-2002, 01:49 PM
I haven't been by in a few days...was feeling rather low and did not want to infect the board...today I managed to rise out of the slump, hit the gym for a step class...went to Curves afterward for a session there and I'm feeling positively high as a kite on endorphins!!

My lunch is a sight to behold, with all the colors in my salad...a food pyramid poster child...and a very low point one at that! I feel good and best of all, I lost 2 lbs snce last week!

Glad to hear everyone's good words...I love this thread!:D

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Amarantha2
05-16-2002, 09:07 PM
It's 6 p.m. and I'm having a really GOOD on-program type of day. I'm about to have an ice cream cone made with Blue Bunny's new line of sugar- and fat-free ice creams made with Splenda. It's BUTTER PECAN, one of the best flavors in life. Then I will (gently) pump iron in my little gym.

Katrinabgood: Glad you are pumped up with healthy natural endorphins again! :) A step class and Curves was a really ambitious dual challenge, but you made it! I'd still like to try Curves. They had one here for awhile but it's closed now.

[COLOR=red]Motivational Song: "Just put one foot in front of the other ... and soon you'll be walkin' cross the floor ... just put one foot in front of the other ... and soon you'll be walkin' out the door." ~ A song from a children's animated Christmas TV program called (I think) 'A Town Without a Santa Claus' or words to that effect. Apologies to whoever wrote this as I haven't the foggiest who you are.

Venus Envy
05-17-2002, 08:49 AM
I have the flu. (( (( yippee! )) ))

Why is it a good thing? Well, it takes a heckuva great spin doctor to wring guilt and worry out of the situation ("OMG, I have only two weeks to the marathon and can't afford to miss ONE SINGLE DAY of training! Why didn't I stay away from Trish even when I knew she was sick and I have all this stuff to do? Obviously I just make bad choices all the time. I guess I'll just never be able to make my goals ... I might as buy the Twinkies and M&Ms along with the Tylenol. What difference will it make now?") Isn't it amazing that I can squeeze all of that guilt and anxiety out of one day of the flu!?!??! Geeeeez, that's an INCREDIBLE talent!!! I obviously have superhuman powers of reason and persuasion.

So if I can do all that, I MUST be able to manage something moronically simple, like telling myself what a good granddaughter my Gram would find me if I took care of myself just as she taught me to -- with lots of sleep and broth and Tylenol and warm 7Up and a raggedy stuffed bunny to cuddle.

Amarantha2
05-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Is up and ready to take on her beautiful new day. Calories yesterday were on the high side, BUT THAT'S GOOD, because Pollyanna's lust for food is now quieted and she should be able to really kick **** on this weight loss program today. She is determined to remove 30 pounds from her knees, however long it takes.

VENUS ENVY, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION! I love the way you worked your way from a yukky negative case of the flu and worry over missing a day of training to an understanding of the need for balance and rest ... all athletes tend to undervalue the need for rest but IMO it's part of the training, so while you are cuddling the bunny, you ARE training because YOU ARE AN ATHLETE AND A WINNER ... and a cool racewalker. That is an interesting sport. I love to walk ... when my knees hurt, I hobble. But racewalking is amazing ... it burns more energy than running and racewalkers can reach speeds exceeding running. I'd really like to try it sometime, but haven't as yet. Think I'd need a club or something. Rock on, VE!

What I intend to keep in mind today: "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

P.S.: I'm trying not to be obsessive and go back to my previous post and edit in the end-color code.

:devil: :s: :lol:

MomTo2Boys
05-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Well I gotta admit I think I might have blown my streak yesterday but then again....I may not have...I dont dare to figure it out so I will just move on to today as its a NEW day and a NEW start right???

Venus....you will feel better soon I HOPE....I have faith in you that you will do your best at the next marathon...all we can do is give it our best and that is what counts!!! Get well soon!!! and maybe this is your bodies way of telling you you need a good break for your body to rest!!!

Crone....I am now wondering how long it will be before you go back and edit your post where the color code didnt work on your last paragraph!!!....I love seeing you SOOOO PUMPED.....sure gald we got ourselves back on track.....I knew with a little support from my old weight loss buddies I could get back into the swing of things.....

I may not make it in to post much for the next week or so.....we start moving Tuesday......and even though it looks like I have packed a lot of things....It still seems to be creaping up behind me and more boxes keep adding up....YUCK....

But...here is my positive thought....with every day we have a chancefor a fresh new start.....and mine is today!!!

Take care all...LisaL

katrinabgood
05-18-2002, 08:43 AM
More rain for us, but that's a good thing...the lawn is so green...the flowers are being watered...and no ball game today! Son's coach had scheduled a makeup baseball game for this afternoon, throwing a monkey wrench into my carefully orchestrated schedule! :lol: ;)

Third consecutive day of following my program to the T! Food/exercise/water have been great... I don't know if it's the food itself, lots of fruits and veggies, or just the good feelings of staying on track, but I feel great!! I love coming here to post what I have done right, too!

Have a great Saturday, all!

Amarantha2
05-18-2002, 09:19 AM
It is thus: Yesterday, I EXCEEDED my own expectations and cut 100 calories from even my lowest calorie goal (but it was all healthy except for the ONE dulce de leche ... my hand wanted to reach into the dairy case for three bottles of the stuff but only one emerged and I enjoyed it and didn't go back for more) ... finished a light weight workout ... had 18 items on my to-do list and DID THEM ALL!!! TODAY WILL BE JUST AS GREAT!

Katrinabgood: Congratulations on A THREE DAY STREAK ON PROGRAM!!! IMO, each day on program helps strengthen our understanding that we can DO THIS FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES! Congratulations on your rain, too. Need I say that it isn't raining in Arizona, at least not where I am (but that's ok, too, it'll rain sometime). Enjoy your revised schedule! :cool:

Mom: Congratulations on BEING BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS! I think you are wise to BELIEVE you have not blown your streak and move on because "today is a new day with no mistakes in it, yet! (Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maude Montgomery?)" I like that quote so felt I had to insert it again! :dizzy: (BTW, I plan never to go back and edit that post ... I'm MOVING ON!) :cool:

I realize it's back 'net ettiquette to SHOUT, but I'm having fun with it, so I absolutely KNOW everyone will forgive me. :devil:

Advice from one of my favorite guys: "Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see possibilities always see them, for they're always there." ~ Norman Vincent Peale