Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default A suggestion

There are a lot of New Years Resolution folks here who are both posting and lurking and I've been reading threads on several forums where people are sharing their new habits and goals.

Now I'm no expert - I've been on plan about 2 months now so I consider myself maybe just a little past newbie (or n00b as my gamer friends would say) but I had a couple thoughts I wanted to share.

1. Ok it's day 5 if you already feel like quitting that's normal - gut it out! Try to stick with your plan until the calendar says February. Even if you've completely gone off plan for the last two days just jump right back on.

2. If you are struggling with your plan it's probably too hard. The main motivation for this post was seeing people who were trying to change eating habits, sleeping habits, work out habits, smoking habits and more all at once. If your plan feels hard slow down because slow and steady is still better than giving up. Try changing one thing for a few days. Once you get a handle on that add in something else.

I know from my own experience that in the past I failed because I tried to do too many things at once. This time is a lot different and more motivating because I started slowly and I've seen greater progress than in times past when I tried to change it all at once.

3. Don't let the scale/measuring tape get you down. Yeah yeah we all say we know we will have ups and downs but when the scale goes up a lot of time we want to throw in the towel. DON'T. It's a blip. An anomaly. Going off plan or giving up is certainly not going to fix it.

Ok well that's the gist of what I was thinking.

Marine snipers have a saying: "Fast is smooth, smooth is slow, slow is fast." I think it has all kinds of applications to weight loss. The fastest way to lose weight is often to slow down and do one thing at a time, do it well, and not recklessly try to change everything all at once.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 01-05-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Great thread idea I think a lot of people start out and then either A) become overwhelmed or B) are not sure if they are doing something correctly or have no place to express thier thoughts.

I know I've been cranky in regards to the "n00bs" at my gym, but I wouldn't feel that way if that was just the way it was. Normally, it's pretty quiet and I don't think that's sucha good thing (collectively). I like that there is a forum and threads like this that can let people know they it's ok to ask and they are not alone

ETA: Oh, and I've mentioned this in other threads, but I can't tell you how helpful going in 5-10 increments was for me. The idea of losing 80 pounds completely overwhelmed me. Once I started looking at it as 5 pounds I was able to manage it much better.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-05-2009 at 03:03 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Thank you for the motivation and advice!

Since it has been a year and a half since I was on plan, I am completely starting over. The first few days have been hard. My diet has only been good 2 out of 4 days, but I have done well in some areas, like avoiding late night snacking no matter how hungry I felt. I exercised on day 1, it was 30 minutes of low-impact cardio, and it's unbelievable how much pain it left me in. Whatever muscles are right below the breasts were hurting constantly and my legs were aching. I am just now pain-free, lol. I was out of town for the weekend and didn't do actual exercise, but I spent a lot of time shopping and walking through stores and malls. Today I am going to try the workout again, hopefully it won't hurt as bad. I'm wanting to get outside walking again, but I have a cold right now so I'm waiting until it clears up because it's so frigid outside.

There's definitely that loud voice inside screaming for me to give up and order a pizza, but I can't. I'm getting married in 3 months and I want to have a long, happy life with my husband. We want kids, but I'm not healthy enough for it, I hardly even menstruate because of my weight. I just keep thinking back to how good 246 felt when I dieted last time and how I have to get back down to that and go from there. I can't change overnight and I'm sure I won't be back in the groove for a little while longer, but I know it will get easier.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #4  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Amen, sister. When I started this journey I decided I would only tackle 1 or maybe 2 behaviors at a time (usually a month) and I would not do anything to lose weight that I could not do the rest of my life. I've had more success on this than I ever have on anything else
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #5  
No description available.

Great advice!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #6  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

I (re)started Jan. 1. I had been puttering at exercising when I could (honestly twice a week on average) and NOT counting calories like I should. I am now 5 days into exercising every day and counting calories... and it is always day 3 that trips me up. I was RAWR! hungry when I went to bed... and then.. DH got up to get a snack! Grrr. Bad husband. But, I didn't eat, and I made it past day three. Not giving into my unnecessary hunger. Now - we will see what the next hurdle is.
We can do it!!!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

This thread got to me in so many different ways. Yay ladies for sharing!

"3. Don't let the scale/measuring tape get you down. Yeah yeah we all say we know we will have ups and downs but when the scale goes up a lot of time we want to throw in the towel. DON'T. It's a blip. An anomaly. Going off plan or giving up is certainly not going to fix it."

OMG I so needed to hear this. I HATE how a little electronic device can control my whole life. I am SO annoyed right now that I have been OP for days & days & my weight is up 1.6 lbs. I even stayed OP while I was really really sick.

I've been wanting to cheat all day, but you are so right. That is definately NOT going to help the situation.

Beth - I am totally in the same boat as you regarding marriage & kids. My fiance & I have been engaged for 4 years now (together for 8) and he reminds me every day. He wants to get married so badly, but I just can't bear thinking of myself in front of all those people in the white dress at this weight. We also want to start trying for kids asap, but I'm not having my period right now either. I ain't getting any younger & I need to get these things taken care of now so we can realize our dreams of marriage & family together. I feel like I'm short-changing him.

Whew - thanks for letting me get that out. Maybe I'll reread this later when I feel like cheating again.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

3. Don't let the scale/measuring tape get you down. Yeah yeah we all say we know we will have ups and downs but when the scale goes up a lot of time we want to throw in the towel. DON'T. It's a blip. An anomaly. Going off plan or giving up is certainly not going to fix it.

AMEN! Great post. It's kind of nice not to go at it alone, thinking your weak. When in reality it is just normal to get discouraged sometimes. I'm not giving up either.
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/202.5/135

Height: 5'3"

great post!! and so right!
this newbie thanks you!!
kandie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #10  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Rodeogirl, you're right. I'm trying to get back into the groove of good portion sizes, and I've been really angry with myself for letting things slide. It's good to get a wake up call that says take it one day at a time and don't think you're going to be perfect!
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #11  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Actually....I was thinking this about myself this time. I am just going to take it one step at a time. I am trying to get my eating under control first. Making smart choices....measuring and keeping a log online of what I eat. It is funny with this calorie plan because in my head I have it as being able to eat anything I want as long as I get within the 1800 range of calories...of course I am making good choices but it's weird.....since I have it in my head I can have anything I am not wanting it.

Anyway....the next steps will be exercise and some other behavior management issues.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #12  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Thank you so much for your post. I need to get my rear in gear and it was good to read this. I am not doing this for "new years", but I need to do this. My daughter will be 3 in May and I am just as heavy now as I was after she was born.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote