40-Somethings - Anyone Else Think 40 Was Toughest Birthday Yet?

Beemer
01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I am new here. I just turned 40 this past November and decided to make some changes for my health and to lose some weight. I thought that turning 40 has been pretty rough and woke me up to the fact that I can't eat like a kid forever and expect to be thin and healthy. Anyone else feel that way once they hit the big 4-0?

JulieJ08
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
My 40th is coming up pronto. It wasn't the main factor, but seeing it coming was certainly a factor in getting me moving back in April. I feel great about my weight going into my 40th - but have some major work to do in other areas in order to really feel good. It's funny how 40 feels different than 39 or 41.

mytmom
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Yup! I don't really know why, maybe because I'd just had 18 months from he**, but 40 really bothered me (I turned 40 this past September). I think for me, I loved my late 20s and 30s so much, during that time I had reached so many goals, and my kids were little, and it was easy to loose weight, and I just felt good. I also think for me, loosing both of my parents (7 weeks apart dad on 10/30 and mom 12/19 '07) was a huge mental thing. It's almost as if I was forced to finally grow up because I can't call my Mom anymore when I need to be babied a liittle bit.

CyberGypsy
01-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Nope my 50th will be hard:(

TheMrs
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Actually, 40 wasn't bad.. but 38 was difficult. I'm not sure why that was.. but maybe it was just the life events going on at the time?

I suspect 50 will be rough, but I'll worry about that when I get to it. ;)

angelmom313
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
All I know is....it is soooo freaking hard to lose weight now that I am 40....I thought it was hard and I was a fat cow at 30 but I look back on 30 and think, "Man I wish I were that thin." Plus, after a hysterectomy 6 years ago, I no longer have periods (which is good--dont get me wrong) but I do feel old...AND THEY GRAY HAIRS...those things are scary!

theloula
03-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Turning 40 went well. 30 was the big birthday I had been worried about as I had had so many goals that were un-achieved by that age. Since then, I have accomplished some goals, changed others, and feel much more at peace with my life trajectory.

At this time, I am focusing on aging gracefully. I don't mind growing older, and expect my body and mind to slow down a bit....I just want to be graceful about it, to give up the super young trends, to dress my age, and to look more timeless yet funky at the same time. And to keep myself as healthy as possible.

I met a woman the other day who was, and will continue to be, a real inspiration for working out. She came over and said hello in the gym, looking about 40 years old. My workout companion and myself were floored when she told us she was around 68 years old...her body was better than many women I see in their 20's, and her face was full of light. Just goes to show how good someone can look with a bit of self care.

:)

Julie131
03-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I had no problems turning 40, and it has been a wonderful 'decade' for me. Now, turning 50 may be a totally different story!

TamiL
03-28-2009, 06:29 AM
40 wasn't bad at all for me. I am sooo much more confident in my self in my forties than I ever was in my earlier years. 50 may be another story, I'll know that answer in 5 years!

losermom
03-28-2009, 09:53 AM
30 was traumatic! 40 was no big deal. But now, at 46, I'm not sure how 50 is going to feel.

Onmyway
03-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I didn't have a problem with 40. I had a baby at 37 so I was in a toddler mindset so I don't think I gave the big 4-0 much thought. As I get closer to 50 (I'm 48), that's a different story. Realistically, my life is over halfway finished. that's pretty humbling.

mycousin
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
40 is not too bad, but I am worrying over turning 50.

ICUwishing
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I remember having really high hopes for 30 - thought maybe I'd have my act together. 40 was another "oh well". I like the changes I"m making now, because they really feel like a lifetime commitment to health. I go to Masters swim meets and I see women my age and decades older - and they motivate me to keep moving. I have some awesome role models in my grandmas - one is 94 and still totally sharp - the other is 86 and she's still working and supervising 30 people, IN ADDITION to doing 1 1/2 hours of high impact aerobics 4 days a week! The woman can do the full Tae Bo workout - and she didn't even start exercising til she was 75!!!

Lessofmaur
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I didn't find 40 difficult. It was just another birthday for me. However, 45 which is two years away for me seems more of a milestone (not sure why). I have recommitted myself to being fit and healthy though so I can sail into my mid-40s without much distress. At least that is my plan! I do have to add that the 40s has brought out a confidence in me I didn't have before. I definitely don't sweat the small things much anymore like I did when I was younger.

kats12
03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Gosh- I am facing 45 next month. It not an easy one!

newleaf123
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I turn 44 in a couple weeks; in all honesty, I haven't given it a 2nd thought. Probably since my son's birthday is the day after mine, so all the attention, thought and hoopla go into his day.

thinpossible
04-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I turn 43 next month, and my forties have really been no big deal. I can see/feel myself aging a bit, but every age has its advantages and disadvantages. I liked being 20, but I wouldn't want to go back there.

catazure
04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
40 wasn't bad, 45 wasn't bad - 38 sucked!
I turned 48 a few months back and, even though my weight is higher than I'd like, my face looks great. Now I just need to lose that pesky 50 pounds and I'll look 35 again:)

Savora
04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
40 was very hard for me and now i will be 42 this summer...... i was 100lbs overweight going into my 30's and lost it when i turned 31 now i am starting all over again at 42 to lose the weight i put on in the past 3 years, but being thin for those 8 years was so much fun!!!

PinkyPie
04-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I turned 40 last September and the only reason it was a hard birthday was because I fell and messed up my ankle the weekend before so was laid up for a week. My only friends at the moment are my colleagues so I felt pretty pathetic and lonely. But as far as being 40, I don't really have any bad feelings about it! My hair needs a dye job a bit more often but I know I don't "look" 40.

I wonder if one of the reasons I'm not losing like I did before on WW is partially due to my age though? The first time was 10 years ago and I lost 60+ pounds in 14 months. I feel like I'm moving at a slower pace now but maybe its also that I have a totally different life now than I did then?

Suzyszoo
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I'll be 43 on May 5th. (always a big party on my birthday!) I love being in my 40's. I'm a much happier person. Rid of all the angst that goes with aging, and now I enjoy my life on my terms.

I have laugh lines, sure. But I've laughed a LOT, and I've earned them. Little wrinkles around my eyes when I smile, but I've got 5 great kids that make me smile every day. Saggy boobs - well, I've nursed 5 kids, these old girls have served me well and they deserve a little break! ;)

jules1216
04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
empty-nest is a lot rougher...

SheaLo
04-19-2009, 11:03 AM
When I turned 40 I had a strange and exciting feeling that something great was about to happen. Life has been a struggle for me since birth. I was born, with a birth defect, into a completely dysfunctional family and by the time I was 39 I had endured more than any one person should ever have to deal with. When the sensation that something big and wonderful was going to happen occurred, I figured I had finally lost my mind and was about to embark on a new journey, one in which mental illness would play a key role. Thankfully, I was wrong about that one. Or maybe I just think I was wrong. Anyway, I digress... I turned 40 in February of 2005. Since then I have started a Barefoot Parties business, worked my way through 50 credits toward a Bachelor's degree, begun writing again, taken steps to find a literary agent, and I'm now planning on moving from a state I do not fit in to one where my liberally liberal ideas won't be viewed as evidence of demonic possession.

OH! And I have adopted an attitude about my weight that is a 180 degree turn around from my younger days. I used to do whatever it took to stay skinny. I embraced eating disorders so that I could get into a size 6 with the idea that if I could maintain that size I would matter to people. My new attitude is that I matter to me. I want to have energy and joy in my life, and those feelings are not dependent on the size I wear. (A lesson most people learn when they're what? 5? - ok, so I'm a little behind.)

What an eye-opener it's been. If only I had known at 20 that living the life that makes me happy would draw intelligent, thoughtful, cheerful people to me, I would have saved so many tears. Oh well, I know it now and life at 44 is kicking life at 20's butt!

Now, after all that rambling, my answer to the queston, "Anyone else think 40 was the toughest birthday yet?" is...I don't. I think 40 was the easiest, happiest, funnest, bestest birthday yet!

debbies
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
With 50 fast approaching - 40 doesn't look all that bad anymore ;)

It's just a number - It's really all about how you feel - and the quality of life that you live.

Although - it does seem a lot more difficult to get those unwanted pounds off once you turn 40 :D

PinkyPie
04-19-2009, 12:04 PM
When I turned 40 I had a strange and exciting feeling that something great was about to happen. Life has been a struggle for me since birth. I was born, with a birth defect, into a completely dysfunctional family and by the time I was 39 I had endured more than any one person should ever have to deal with. When the sensation that something big and wonderful was going to happen occurred, I figured I had finally lost my mind and was about to embark on a new journey, one in which mental illness would play a key role. Thankfully, I was wrong about that one. Or maybe I just think I was wrong. Anyway, I digress... I turned 40 in February of 2005. Since then I have started a Barefoot Parties business, worked my way through 50 credits toward a Bachelor's degree, begun writing again, taken steps to find a literary agent, and I'm now planning on moving from a state I do not fit in to one where my liberally liberal ideas won't be viewed as evidence of demonic possession.

OH! And I have adopted an attitude about my weight that is a 180 degree turn around from my younger days. I used to do whatever it took to stay skinny. I embraced eating disorders so that I could get into a size 6 with the idea that if I could maintain that size I would matter to people. My new attitude is that I matter to me. I want to have energy and joy in my life, and those feelings are not dependent on the size I wear. (A lesson most people learn when they're what? 5? - ok, so I'm a little behind.)

What an eye-opener it's been. If only I had known at 20 that living the life that makes me happy would draw intelligent, thoughtful, cheerful people to me, I would have saved so many tears. Oh well, I know it now and life at 44 is kicking life at 20's butt!

Now, after all that rambling, my answer to the queston, "Anyone else think 40 was the toughest birthday yet?" is...I don't. I think 40 was the easiest, happiest, funnest, bestest birthday yet!

brilliant post! Thanks for sharing a little bit of you with us!!!

ann
04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
i think 39 was worse becos i knew i was nearing the big 4-0 and i freaked but now i'm almost 42 and now i just think of myself as two 21 year olds rolled into one, it wasn't that i didn't want to turn forty i think it was more i didn't want to be fat and forty but sure now i'm taking steps to change that and i've also decided to change my hair colour so maybe forty is the turning point in your life , enjoy it and live life to the full

ceal2000
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I am excited about being in my 40's, I've learned a lot over the last several years and now I can put all of that wisdom to good use. ;) One of the things that I've learned is that I need to be watchful of the number of calories that I consume daily to avoid gaining weight. (it took me quite a few years to accept that fact :dizzy:)

kats12
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
My 45th bday is Sunday (4-26) & I plan to celebrate! I have my smoking quit day set- 4-27. I recently hit a size 14. Its going to be a good year!!

cheekiemonkey
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I turned 40 in January.....and my life and weight are not where I want them...so that creates some angst.

I just try to deal with it the best I can and live in the here and now because you can't turn back the hands of time. You can just try to make the most of every day by taking good care of yourself and finding the joy where you can.