Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

Default Tips 101

I know there is a ton of info on this site for all kinds of things. but I wanted to start a cheat sheet thread of weight loss tips, that we can click on in moments of weakness. I am looking for tips that make weight loss easier. things that help us do the things we know we should but often don't. Like pre-portioning, what about getting water in? is there a simple trick you do that helps you make sure you get it all in? how about exercise? sticking to plan? it can even be tips that are super obvious and said a million times before, But if we have them here in one spot, in those moments when we feel like we cant do this, we can click on this thread and get some inspiration, and know that we are in this together, and it really is not as complicated as me make it be.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Good idea! Here's some stuff I got from Parade Magazine. Most of them fit right in with what we're trying to do according to "Plan"....

You Can Lose Weight
Publication Date: 12/28/2006
Forget all the complicated eating plans or one-size-fits-all diets. These simple rules are the key to a lifetime of healthy eating:

1. Know how many calories you need to eat each day.
To learn how many calories you should be eating, click here.

2. Eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day.
Letting yourself get too hungry causes a drop in blood sugar and can lead to bingeing. Keep snacks to approximately 200 calories each and make sure they combine protein, carbs and healthy fats.

3. Consume 5 or 6 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
There is no replacement for these nutritional powerhouses, filled with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. (Dark-colored fruits and vegetables are best.)

4. Become a label-reader.
Eliminate trans fats and saturated fats. Aim for a diet of 40% carbohydrates (whole grains and fruit), 30% lean protein (chicken breasts and turkey) and 30% healthy fats such as olive oil.

5. Choose healthy carbs.
Switch to whole grains—wheat bread, brown rice, fruits and vegetables, for example. Eliminate refined carbs such as sugar and white flour. Limit alcohol consumption, which is fairly high in calories.

6. Practice portion control.
A serving of protein should be about the size of your palm, and a serving of carbs is no larger than a fist.

7. Eliminate sugary drinks and fruit juices.
Switch to diet sodas and water. Aim for 8 glasses of water a day.

8. Eat fish three times a week.
Deep-water fish that contains omega-3s will protect your heart from disease. Look for wild salmon, mackerel and sardines. You also can get omega-3s from fortified eggs.

9. Carry healthy snacks with you.
Fill small bags with almonds or walnuts, or keep a low-fat yogurt handy to stave off candy and cookie temptation. Other good choices: apple slices with a spoonful of peanut butter or low-fat string cheese.

And don't forget to allow yourself a treat!
It’s natural to splurge now and then, just don’t use it as an excuse to binge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get Fit Kit
You don’t have to buy expensive equipment or join a fancy gym. Start simply with...

• A pedometer
Track the number of steps you take each day. Less than 4,000 steps is sedentary. Optimum goal: 10,000. Aim for 500-step increments, easily achievable if you park your car farther away or use the stairs.

• A pair of sneakers
Look for sneakers with firm support at the heel, cushioning to absorb shock and enough room to wiggle your toes.

• Comfortable clothes
If exercising outdoors, dress warmly, including hats and gloves; indoors, look for moisture-wicking fabrics.

• Light hand weights
Women, try two gradations: 3 and 5 pounds; for men, 5 and 8 pounds.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

Great start Dan!! thanks!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

when I'm having a hard time getting water in, I drink 8oz first thing in the morning to give myself a head start, then I sip on a 20 oz bottle on the way to work while stuck in traffic. It usually helps me to get 28oz down before lunch time which is a great accomplishment for me!
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

10. Stay focused by visiting 3FC daily. Blog with others that know what you are going through and have the same goals as you in regards to weightloss.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #6  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

I bring my exercise clothes and shoes with me to work in the Am. Then when I am done with work I chnage before I leave and go straight to the gym. I know if I had to go home to change there would be a lot more times where I would say I think I will just skip it tonight. I don't think that has happened once since I started about 3 months ago!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #7  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

I got one of those cool lime green Nalgene 32 oz water bottles (like they use on Biggest Loser) I fill it half full of water and freeze it every night. I found that I am much more willing to drink my water if it is ice cold!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote