The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - TBL Season 7 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Pages : [1] 2 3

RangerChic
01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Okay, since the new season starts on Tuesday night, I figured we needed a new thread for season seven. If you haven't already seen the teaser, check it out on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYoEG3En1g

junebug41
01-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I love this business of putting the seasons relatively back-to-back! I wonder if they cut out the drama that last season brought?

Jen415
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I hope so too....but there's always some game players in the bunch, isn't there?

Less game playing, more inspiration, please. Thanks.

clewles81
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I just can't wait for the new season to start!!

heather88
01-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I've never watched this show before, but I own some of the work out videos and they're great! Can't wait to start watching :D

hereyago
01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I love the back-to-back seasons. It really helps me stay motivated.

Since, this is the first page, I will post the Wikipedia web page that will track season 7. Someone does a great job of posting all the results each week and numbers/stats for each contestant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser:_Couples_2

Also, is it just me or do others have trouble finding this particular thread without bookmarking it? "TBL" and "7" do not have enough letters to qualify for a search. If the name of the thread had "Biggest Loser" or "Seven" in it, then it would come up with a forum search. Had this same problem last season. I think people might have trouble finding the right thread so new ones get posted and there are multiple threads on the same topic.

Anyway, I could be completely missing the boat here. Will go the bookmarking route to make sure I follow along.

RangerChic
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Hmmm... I just followed how the thread was posted last season. Maybe a moderator can change the title to The Biggest Loser instead of TBL.

Diva
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I hope so too....but there's always some game players in the bunch, isn't there?

Less game playing, more inspiration, please. Thanks.

Word.

Jen415
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Diva! What team are you on?

DisgruntledOne
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Also, is it just me or do others have trouble finding this particular thread without bookmarking it?

Hmm didn't know you could bookmark something. Could somebody please explain to me how.

sportmom
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I just find it by going to the The Biggest Loser forum under fitness. It's always within the top 3 topics if not always in the top spot (usually). Not hard to find at all - don't think we need to change the name.

hereyago
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Sportmom for the quick way to find the thread.

I think I am navigating the forum differently or inefficiently. I usually head to new posts or search and don't delve into specifc forums.

Will give that a try.

Rangerchic - I had this search and find problem all last season with the prior season. No need to change the name.

sportmom
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
My pleasure. I agree, searching for threads would drive me crazy. Here's another hint in case you haven't seen this yet - at the top of every page is the threads that work like a directory to show where you are on the forum. You can click on any of the sections in the line to move around the forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/images/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2529456#) 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/index.php) > Fitness (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=177) > Exercise! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34) > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=184) http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/images/misc/navbits_finallink.gif (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2529456) TBL Season 7 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

So like to go back to another thread in fitness, click on fitness, to go to exericse, click on exercise, to see the main page and all forums, click on the first one for 3 fat chicks. That should move you around like a power-user! ;)

MotoMichelle
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm looking forward to this season. So far all the videos on YouTube show the season in a positive light. Perhaps they learned from the harsh reaction of last season soon enough that this one is better.

Diva
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey Diva! What team are you on?

Hey girly, I'm not doing those challenges anymore. A group of friends and myself have made another site to support eachother on. :) But good Luck, I hope you do well!

Rain Dancer
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I am also looking forward to the new season. But, I am soooo tired of the couples, family format. Time to get back to singular players, please. Hopefully next season? :D

hereyago
01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I am also looking forward to the new season. But, I am soooo tired of the couples, family format. Time to get back to singular players, please. Hopefully next season? :D

From the NBC.com website, they are now casting for Season 8. Looks like they haven't made up their mind as to whether they are going singles or couples.

"NOW CASTING SEASON 8!

NBC'S THE BIGGEST LOSER IS NOW CASTING!
WE ARE SEARCHING THE COUNTRY FOR OUTGOING AND CHARISMATIC CONTESTANTS WHO AE READY TO SHED THOSE POUNDS ONCE AND FOR ALL AND COMPETE TO WIN $250,000!!

SEND IN AN APPLICATION AND VIDEOTAPE ASAP!
You must be at least 18 years of age and a legal resident of the U.S.
**You can audition with a partner or on your own! "

DisgruntledOne
01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
AHHHHHHHHH DAMN!
The channel that biggest loser comes on is not showing BL til Sunday because of a stupid KU basketball game! :cry:

diamondinthedesert
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Can't wait for the show tonight! I would also like to see singles again! Tired of the couples format. It seems you get to really see what the contestants are made of once they lose their partner.

Andi18
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Looking forward to the show starting tonight. Unfortunately I am going to have to tape it tonight :( Instead I am planning on going to boot camp. I'll be checking back after I watch the show. I'm sure I'll be staying up late tonight to watch it. No spoilers until I've seen it :P

Enjoy the show and the discussion tonight. Wish I could join in.

Skinny Teen
01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I've been looking forward to this new season since last season's finale.

I agree with the couples.... Not everyone watching who's looking for inspiration is gonna have someone willing to go at it. Yeah, working with someone is a great motivator and a great bonding experience, but singles can still do well

jmfan317
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm so looking forward to tonite's show.

chick_in_the_hat
01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
:hyper:

Is it 8 o clock yet?

RangerChic
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
It's on! :)

(hey, check out my new site for the show if you all are interested: http://biggestlosercompanion.wordpress.com)

wrdfrog
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I really hope the 18 year old stays on the show for a while.

RangerChic
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I was laughing as Jillian was yelling at the TV about the gray team member on the bars. Obviously, not at the contestant, but the situation was funny.

wrdfrog
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I would have totally picked Jillian. I'm such a Jillian fangirl.

Skinny Teen
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Gah! I've been crying non-stop since the opening lecture.
I'm gonna have to find it on youtube and send it to everyone I know. Even if they're in shape, they all know and care about someone who's overweight or obese.
I'm gonna watch it every day (when and if uploaded) for motivation.

wrdfrog
01-06-2009, 10:15 PM
There's totally going to be a hidden third team.

ksk571
01-06-2009, 10:26 PM
There's totally going to be a hidden third team.

That's what I think. I remember scuttle about Kim coming back.

junebug41
01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I would have totally picked Jillian. I'm such a Jillian fangirl.

Me too. Bob is awesome, but I would give ANYTHING to train with Jillian. She has the perfect amount of drill seargent and her heart is always in the right place. And she's so passionate.

Yup, I'm in love with a girl :p

wrdfrog
01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
That's what I think. I remember scuttle about Kim coming back.

I really really hope so. It would suck so much for them to go home the first week. I'm such a softy. I wish all of them could just stay on until the very end and just see who wins out of all of them. That way everyone gets the help they need.

mxgirl737
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm happy that this season seems less snarky! ...I hope so anyway. It was baaaad last season, and I was not impressed!

ksk571
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I really really hope so. It would suck so much for them to go home the first week. I'm such a softy. I wish all of them could just stay on until the very end and just see who wins out of all of them. That way everyone gets the help they need.

Me too!

RangerChic
01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Gah! I've been crying non-stop since the opening lecture.
I'm gonna have to find it on youtube and send it to everyone I know. Even if they're in shape, they all know and care about someone who's overweight or obese.
I'm gonna watch it every day (when and if uploaded) for motivation.

Look up Biggest Loser season 7 superteaser on youtube. It's a lot more than the intro though.

JackieRn
01-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm not happy that their sending people home, but at least they have a chance to come back.

Tetra
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me why this thread is labeled **SPOILERS** - does it normally contain information about episodes before they air? I don't mind participating in discussion after the episode shows, but I don't like knowing stuff before they show it on the show. Thanks!!!

wrdfrog
01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Tetra,

I think it's just a warning to people who may be coming to the forum for the first time. They could have taped the show to watch later and at least they wouldn't stumble into the thread and not realize there will be spoilers since no one is really curbing what they say about the show.

Bette k
01-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I think there is going to be much less drama than last season. I hope they follow the ones that went home so we can see how they do it at home, if the purpose is to show it can be done at home then let us see it. I'm not sure who I like yet.

Tetra-The thread is labeled spoiler because we have different time zones and also some people record it to watch later.

junebug41
01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me why this thread is labeled **SPOILERS** - does it normally contain information about episodes before they air? I don't mind participating in discussion after the episode shows, but I don't like knowing stuff before they show it on the show. Thanks!!!

Viewers on the east coast see everything before those of us out west. I know I've been posing something I just saw and the poster before me posted about something I hadn't seen yet.

Lori Bell
01-07-2009, 10:04 AM

ME TOO!

I felt a connection with each and every team member last night, but especially the 300+ folks. To the point of very emotional tears. I was trying to hide them from my family, but I just couldn't control myself after a while. I pray that they all get to a healthy weight. Oh wow, here I go again...:cry:

2fat2bphat
01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
On last nights show, they discussed the armband product that checks calories in/calories out ( I think). Saw it mentioned on 3FC in a header and at that time didnt know what it was. I'm having major blonde moment (mind you, its dyed) and I cant think of the product's name. HELP! We're having a discussion here at work. Thanks guys (gals!)

hereyago
01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
On last nights show, they discussed the armband product that checks calories in/calories out ( I think). Saw it mentioned on 3FC in a header and at that time didnt know what it was. I'm having major blonde moment (mind you, its dyed) and I cant think of the product's name. HELP! We're having a discussion here at work. Thanks guys (gals!)

The product that they use on TBL is the Bodybugg made by bodymedia. They can be purchased at 24 hour fitness centers. Bodymedia also makes a version for the healthcare community called Sensewear WMS. My understanding is that both products are exactly the same but the web software may have more capabilities in the WMS version. I bought my WMS band through bodymedia directly at www.sensewear.com. They sell to individuals as well as healthcare professionals. Also others have had a lot of good comments for www.myminifly.com who sell and support the WMS product.

There is a huge thread in one of the forums that talks about these products just search for sensewear or bodybugg.

willow650
01-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I missed TBL last night so i watched the 2min clips on NBC.com I think I cried through them all. I think this is going to be an emotional season

hereyago
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
TBL: Sending 9 people home

Boy, I had really mixed feelings about this twist last night.

What I didn't like:

* These folks really need to be there. The biggest cast ever and you are going to send almost half of them home after a week. Wondering if maybe they shouldn't start eliminations until 3 or 4 weeks into the show so that everyone learns how to do this on their own. Maybe they could fill the first few episodes with lots of challenges.

* Was angry because it looked like the producers just wanted to create drama and make everyone upset for no reason.

The after thinking about it for awhile a few thoughts came to mind:

* Had the same thought that someone else already mentioned. Maybe those 9 would be training in secret with Kim with only 5 of them coming back after 30 days so at least they have a shot at changing their lives.

* Even better, they might cut down on some serious Icky Vicky drama by ensuring that those 9 remaining singles focus like CRAZY on bringing their partner back. They won't really have time to start the whole alliance and back biting process if they have so much riding on their shoulders. It also seems like you have some contestants that don't work as hard as others or want it as bad who outlast those that are giving all they have. This is a way to sort out them out early on.

Still thought it a little heartless to send that many people home who need this opportunity. If you watched the opening episode carefully for the season preview you can see future challenges where both colored shirts are there in a later episode. Only remember one team because I didn't know about the twist then.

Really hope that Kim or another trainer works with the lost partners for 30 days. Would be good for the show and viewers.

starmac13
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I actually think there is going to be more drama on the show then previous years. Last season, if you dropped below and were sent home, you still had a partner there to compete for your team. Now that 9 partners are gone, they only have themselves to worry about. Meaning alliances(that is a given), backstabbing (happens every season), and going all out on any immunity challenges (eating a whole pizza+ so your partner can return might be worth is for them) for the next 30 days. I am willing to bet in the next coming episodes that someone will get immunity, gain water weight, and lose big the next go around (remember neil??) Game play is going to be a huge factor for the show. It seems like now game play is one half of the show and the other is weight loss.

chellez
01-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Only a few thoughts to share since my husband made me rush through my DVR recording so he could watch the Lakers game :mad:

I really liked Carla, not only cause she was the biggest woman but because she was funny and had a lot of sass. I'm totally pissed she let her selfish friend stay there, super excited Bob is jumping her *** next week. (I'm secretly hoping Bob throws the "maybe Carla should have stayed" in her face) :devil:

I didn't like the whole "send half the couples home thing" either, but as some others have said, I told my husband when the show was going off that there is probably a huge twist aka secret team thing coming and they aren't going to say anything about it. I'm praying its not Kim... I want to see a new and improved trainer that's not going to be a total *****fest with Jillian & Bob.

So if this is the part where I have to pick who I'm rooting for, I'd have to say Daniel on the Orange team. 457 at 19 yrs old is scary and he really needs the ranch, not for game play, not for this show... he needs it to survive. So until Carla comes back, that's who I'm cheering for.

The one team I really am torn about is the green team (Laura and whatsherface). I think the girl that stayed could have done this at home, but then again I really didn't want Laura to stay cause she'd be a total whinefest.

That's all I can think of for right now... I'll jot other stuff down later if I come up with anything.

Cindy_Gail
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I have not watched all 7 seasons but did follow it pretty regularly last season. It is too much drama for me and no real information. What do they eat? What is their exercise routine? What is up with Gillian screaming all the time? Why is the show a knockoff of Survivor? And can anyone on the show say something besides "I don't wanna go home!"

2fat2bphat
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Hereyago - thanks for the info!

Catsgetnhealthy
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with you chellez on the green team. one really worked hard the other whine and cried. It's like HELLO what did you expect, especially with Jillian?! I was really surprised that Carla let her friend stay. I am rooting for both teens that are there. And I didn't even think about a secret team when they sent the half home. So maybe they'll do that or set all those who went home up with trainers and the food and let them do it on their own.
It'll be an interesting season I'm sure and I too hope there's not a whole lot of drama.

Keillynsmom
01-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Cindy Gail,

If you're interested in their program, Dr. Huizenga has detailed (and I do mean detailed) it in his book, "The WOW Rx". It's really cool -- once I've finished off my supply of slimfast, that's where I'm going. It's two hours of exercise a day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon/evening), heavy on cardio but strenght training, too, along with the generic BL diet. It's what he gave to the at home folks for the season with 50 players.

Barb

charlottes web
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
A couple of season ago didn't they do the same thing by taking some of the people off then they went to train with Jillian? As much as they stressed how overweight the players were how much help they needed, I think it would be very cruel to send them all home. Besides there were 11 teams. If you divide that into 3 it is 7 players on 2 teams and 8 on the other.

I perosnally didn't like Kim. She was just too much.

ennay
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
OK...I didnt like Carla at all - I didnt like that it sounded like "If you dont bring me back than our friendship is doomed" attitude...especially since Joelle lost more than her the first week. She at first glance seems to be the most likely candidate for Drama.

I really like Daniel - I like his sense of humor and he seemed to jump right in with no whining. I have limited tolerance for whining.

I like Tara, although Laura is pretty whiny

I like the Red team, the blue team and the yellow team

ennay
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I have not watched all 7 seasons but did follow it pretty regularly last season. It is too much drama for me and no real information. What do they eat? What is their exercise routine? What is up with Gillian screaming all the time? Why is the show a knockoff of Survivor? And can anyone on the show say something besides "I don't wanna go home!"

I agree they NEVER talk about what they eat unless it is a product plug and they gloss over the workouts. I'd love to see less interviews and snark and more of the day to day what they actually do.

RangerChic
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree they NEVER talk about what they eat unless it is a product plug and they gloss over the workouts. I'd love to see less interviews and snark and more of the day to day what they actually do.

The cookbooks have a lot of the recipes. The earlier seasons discussed more of the food. And, unfortunately the product placement pays for the show I think, so its not going anywhere. If you notice, its Bob doing more of it than Jillian unless she agrees with the product.

MotoMichelle
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I only saw half of season 3 with Kim and I did not like her. I hope she doesn't return as a trainer.

I too was surprised Carla went home and her friend stayed.

So far I like Tara from the green team and Daniel from the orange team. The two men on the black team remind me of Mark and Jay from season 5. I hope they don't have the early on Mark attitude, though. ;)

trekkiegirl
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
TBL: Sending 9 people home
Boy, I had really mixed feelings about this twist last night.
What I didn't like:
* These folks really need to be there. The biggest cast ever and you are going to send almost half of them home after a week. Wondering if maybe they shouldn't start eliminations until 3 or 4 weeks into the show so that everyone learns how to do this on their own. Maybe they could fill the first few episodes with lots of challenges.

Agree. Personally, I think, on any season, they shouldn't send anybody home the first week. I think at least let everybody stay 2 weeks and then do the weigh-in. I was thinking even doing weigh-ins both weeks and combine the two for a total percentage but then that just takes up even more time that could be spent on something else...I do think the show drags out these weigh-ins too much for dramatic effect. It takes up close to half the show sometimes.

* Was angry because it looked like the producers just wanted to create drama and make everyone upset for no reason.

And that's why I think they keep doing this family/couples formula. High emotion makes more drama.

Did anybody else notice the echo effect they used when Jerry was down and the medic was talking to him? I was thinking, this isn't The Twilight Zone, you've got footage of an old man passed out and you're using special sound effects? They did something similar when that woman fell off the parallel bars...they made it look like the ground shook. I thought that was rather in poor taste.

It also bugged me when Laura started gasping and right away Jillian called it "theatrics." You go from no exercise to extreme exercise and I don't think it's fair to not expect some people are going to have a more difficult time with it.

* Even better, they might cut down on some serious Icky Vicky drama by ensuring that those 9 remaining singles focus like CRAZY on bringing their partner back. They won't really have time to start the whole alliance and back biting process if they have so much riding on their shoulders. It also seems like you have some contestants that don't work as hard as others or want it as bad who outlast those that are giving all they have. This is a way to sort out them out early on.

I don't think they want to cut it down. I think, at times, they either initiate it, fan the flames of it, or make sure that we see plenty of it. I read an interview with Season 5's Mark, where he said his group was holed up together a week beforehand to try to heighten tension among them. Last season, yes, Vicky said and did some uncool things...but why did the show not only broadcast so much of it, but even the last couple of shows, when there were signs of "softening" (for lack of a better word)...notice how much airtime was still given to Vicky and the attempt at education, redemption, whatever. And, without excusing Vicky and Heba, I do have to say I am not entirely convinced there wasn't some unflattering Phil footage left on the cutting room floor that might have altered the perception a little. BTW...you know how there was speculation and accusations that Ed purposely gained back those 2 pounds by waterloading at the end? Ed & Heba said he got sent to the hospital with a hernia and they filled up him up with a solution at the hospital. Why no mention of that on the show, if not to give a misleading impression?

The show sets alliances up from the start...from 1) having couples come on with pre-existing alliances and 2) having it set up as Bob vs. Jillian's teams. From that point on, it becomes us vs. them. Then it's up to how the contestants behave under those conditions and how much they get invested in gameplay...and how much of it the show chooses to air and when. Did Vicky behave badly at times? Sure. Did she smirk at someone else's expense...who knows...those shots often look pasted in and repeated. I noticed yesterday, during the second weigh-in, that they showed a shot of Bob supposedly reacting to one team but he was holding a brown shirt in his hands when brown hadn't even weighed in yet, meaning that shot was spliced in from a later segment.

If you watched the opening episode carefully for the season preview you can see future challenges where both colored shirts are there in a later episode. Only remember one team because I didn't know about the twist then.

Yep, just like last season. And when Ali announced the twist of one team member each going home, you could pretty much start picking out who was leaving.

webweevil
01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, I am afraid they are switching focus to more of the game playing and less of the fitness and eating detail that tv watchers at home want to see. They spend too much time going on about contestants' emotional crap and not enough helpful advice to achieve long-term weightloss.

I liked Kim, love Bob, and don't care much for Julian. This could just be the way they are portrayed by those editing what we see.

hereyago
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
My friends and family know I am a nut about TBL, so I received this link today:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18428031/detail.html

The Pink team daughter who went home was charged with assault in Michigan for throwing flour at a tenant. Mug shot included.

hereyago
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Trekkigirl

Agree with you. Also the editors are either really doing a sloppy job (brown shirt before brown weighed in) and showing the future challenge with the reunited team or it is mostly planned.

After one episode I am on board with several of you who like Dan. Also rooting for Jerry who doesn't look like he weighs what he does. I think I like the brown team too. Dad who had his jaws wired shut and gastric bypass but still weighs over 400 pounds.

One more link, and I am done for the day. This one shows updates on former contestants. Many that were on a reunion show or Oprah's show, but others that were not.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28449267/

Click on the interactive slideshow on the top right of the page.

charlottes web
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
You have to remember that the show was filled way in advance of last night premier. The girl arrested, Shannon Thomas, is quite a bit smaller in the image in the news article.

Skittlez
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Grrrrrr, I was so mad with the "twist." It's really cruel in my opinion to be like "OK, all of you get to come here and you get the chance to change your life and win some money as an extra bonus. Oh wait, we were just kidding, only half of you get to change your life." For a lot of these people this is like their last hope, they don't think they'll ever be able to lose this weight and instead of helping them they kick them off! There better be some other twist! :mad:

Skinny Teen
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Grrrrrr, I was so mad with the "twist." It's really cruel in my opinion to be like "OK, all of you get to come here and you get the chance to change your life and win some money as an extra bonus. Oh wait, we were just kidding, only half of you get to change your life." For a lot of these people this is like their last hope, they don't think they'll ever be able to lose this weight and instead of helping them they kick them off! There better be some other twist! :mad:
I know! And it was uber harsh after seeing their reaction when they pulled up to the Ranch in the bus. They were all so excited!
But I guess it's a good way to show viewers that you don't need to be at the Ranch to lose all that weight.

ennay
01-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I was disgusted with the twist too. How unbelievably cruel. But at the same time I KNEW there would be another twist so I kept watching.

sportmom
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, no huge surprise, but the mug shot article reads at the end that the show's episode 7, where (insert 2 names) were sent home from, premiered last nite.

So we can take them off our list. I doubt it's finished to finals yet so that means they went home early I guess.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM
1) I have no favorites yet, although I do have special fondness for watching Pink and Purple as they both have Mom's who are in their 40's.
2) Sending so many people at home all at once stinks!
3) I like all of the drama. But, I'm the gal that loves Survivor and Big Brother, too. :D

starmac13
01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I agree that the "twist" completely sucks. But at the same time the show evolves. And the show is also teaching America something. You dont need to wait for Bob and Jillian to come and rescue you. All you need is that jump start, that little bit of fire under you to get started.

I dont have a favorite that I am 100% rooting for yet. I do like Tara, but with competitiveness also comes game play. But i was impressed with her sprinting with the exercise band and jillian around her.

I am impartial about silver, but cant wait for the Bob and Joelle showdown (I think that is what the previews are about)

Yellow was sooooo close to immunity. I was jumping up and down hoping they would pull through after the black team taunting them

vixjean
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I love the old couple, the old man is so funny. And he isn't even old, he's only 60 but looks like he is 75!

Hate the Laura, she is another Heba, all mouth.

trekkiegirl
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I like orange. Despite their youth, there's a certain maturity in their friendship that is sweet...and how David was totally willing to go home so Daniel could stay. I'm sensing very much a big brother/little brother vibe there.

RangerChic
01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm looking forward to next week, but since I'm not really "attached" to anyone, I hope that changes on Tuesday.

Jen415
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm with you, Shannon....I don't have a particular favorite, mainly because they all have compelling stories to me.

BTW, a little spoiler I picked up from the MySpace page for the show: The at-home players will be shown every week as well as the campus contestants. This made me happy!

hereyago
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
BTW, a little spoiler I picked up from the MySpace page for the show: The at-home players will be shown every week as well as the campus contestants. This made me happy!

Oooo...I like that too.

eastcoastgirl
01-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I thought most of the partners who got sent home had really good attitudes about it ... which makes me think that probably they have hardcore personal trainers, nutritionists, etc, waiting for them and they won't return to their jobs. I think I probably wouldn't mind that so much either - no crazy drama among very tired, hungry people, sleeping in your own bed, but still getting your butt kicked day and night by hired help.

There wasn't any team that I didn't like from the start - the green team was kind of whiny and entitled (at least, Laura was), and the silver team did seem to have a rift about who deserved to stay, but just about everyone seemed enthusiastic and nice. Also, more than in previous seasons, doesn't it look like they chose people who are really attractive?? Not everyone is a knock-out, but I think this is definitely the best-looking cast I've seen starting off.

Rain Dancer
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I was also unhappy about the twist. It was nasty and cruel to bring them all there, then bounce them out right away. I hope that they are all receiving the help they need, while they are waiting to see who gets to come back. I am also wondering if they are with Kim, doing the same thing the people at TBL campus are doing. Be neat if they are.

I watched the season 3 re run on Bravo, recently. I had never seen Kim before. While she isn't my fave, she isn't so bad. She does seem to know what she is doing and I think that is the most important thing.

I am not rooting for anyone, yet. Still getting to know them. I do hope that the kid from the orange team stays a long time. He really needs this. The surviving member of the silver team annoys the snot out of me and I was so disappointed by her friend who said that if she didn't get to come back their friendship was over. Who does that? The green team has the potential to be a huge PITA and the yellow team could really rock this thing. The black team strikes me as arrogant and cocky; I don't like either of them. Perhaps they will redeem themselves in time. I'm not holding my breath. The brown team. Wow, the dad who has done everything, even wiring his jaws and surgery. Just shows how desperate the problem of obesity is in this country. And how desperate so many are for help. My heart really goes out to him.

I am looking forward to Tuesday's show. :D

hereyago
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
This probably belongs on the Season 6 thread, but no one is looking at that one now.

Someone sent me an email link to a local newspaper article about Heba:

http://www.newsobserver.com/976/story/1354864.html

sportmom
01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
She's beautiful!

sportmom
01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Ick! We're pimping the gum again. Hoped this season would be diff.....nope.

Thin4Good
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
ummm...:yikes:

That was nuts.

willow650
01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I am so sad for tonight's results. So unfair :( But they look great

Skinny Teen
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I was not happy with elimination this week. I know that week 2 is usually the suckiest, but THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I cried during the whole elimination voting. I mean, I just broke down and lost it.

And Bob's flip out just scared me. I thought my gym teachers were mean when they snapped...

But JEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY! ;_;

Thin4Good
01-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I am so sad for tonight's results. So unfair :( But they look great

Me too. I am glad to see that they have been working so hard at home though. I would have hated to have made that decision. :(

willow650
01-13-2009, 11:03 PM
if it had been between him and the grey team, it would have been a no brainer

sportmom
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I only caught the show on and off, bc I was putting the kids to sleep, but I thought I would have questioned why the younger kid didn't work harder. As the biggest one there, he should have the biggest weight loss just with an average try. I know he had the penalty, but I would have made part of my speech about making sure he committed to trying harder each week. Luckily I missed Bob's rant - sounds like that was a good thing to miss, huh?

Bette k
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
It is such a change from the last season. I loved the part of the challenge where they went back down the mountain and walked the boy from the orange team up to the finish. I hope they stay this way and not like the others.

MariaMaria
01-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Okay, the guy doing leg presses with the other guy sitting on the weight thingie? How cool was that?

trekkiegirl
01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I thought they made the right choice tonight. I think Ron said it all. They sent Jerry home knowing that he had his wife and his family as resources. I think, between their time on the ranch and Jerry's health scare, they got the message loud and clear early on. Plus, in one of the bonus videos on NBC's website, it's revealed that Estella's sister died of morbid obesity a year earlier. If anything, what Dan & Jerry's teammates did at home was a clear indication of what the near future (at least) was going to be like...Estella tossed the "bad food" in the trash, David went straight for the hot dogs and fries, and Daniel would have been right there with him, along with their family members. I think what Ron predicted would very easily have come true. Also, in a another bonus video, Dr. H told a clueless David he was even sicker than Daniel because he also smokes.

Nobody complained about Daniel (or anybody else except for Joelle) having to work harder. Tara (green team) lost only 1 pound and everyone reacted in amazement. So far she's been shown to be a competitor. At this point in the show, they all seem to have developed an affection for one another and a recognition of who's working as hard as they can. If Jillian thought Daniel was slacking off or giving less than what he was capable of, I think she would have let him have it. I felt so bad for him that he couldn't even sit up straight in the kayak. But it was great to see his teammates come back for him on the hike and then encourage him to go the rest of the way on his own. I wish it could continue in this vein throughout the show but once they get into black vs blue mode, it always comes back to who's got the numbers, who's got the most guaranteed votes.

practiceliving
01-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Wowwww... what a whole new side of Bob, eh? I was so surprised when he lost his temper. I understand the frustration at Joelle's perceived lack of effort, but I feel like he went way overboard. If I was Joelle, that would have demotivated me completely!

Thin4Good
01-14-2009, 01:43 AM
I only caught the show on and off, bc I was putting the kids to sleep, but I thought I would have questioned why the younger kid didn't work harder. As the biggest one there, he should have the biggest weight loss just with an average try. I know he had the penalty, but I would have made part of my speech about making sure he committed to trying harder each week. Luckily I missed Bob's rant - sounds like that was a good thing to miss, huh?

He has lost 30 pounds so far. I'm sure his loss was so small this week because it was so huge last week, not that he wasn't trying. If that were the case, I doubt they would have kept him on. Despite the supportive nature, it seemed like if it had been Joelle up there she would be at home b/c they feel like she isn't as committed anyway. -I'm sure her friend was pissed to see that tonight since she has been working so hard at home.

Thin4Good
01-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Wowwww... what a whole new side of Bob, eh? I was so surprised when he lost his temper. I understand the frustration at Joelle's perceived lack of effort, but I feel like he went way overboard. If I was Joelle, that would have demotivated me completely!

I probably would have burst into tears and looked like a blubbering idiot. She held it together though and she DID do it.

jmfan317
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
When Bob flipped out I was in shock but laughing. Joelle I feel isn't putting in the effort the others are. She only lost 2 lbs and it serves her right. I was crying that Jerry only lost 1 lb and had to go home but now he looks amazing. I'm happy Dan stayed because he really needs to lose the weight. I just hope his friend at home gets his act together. At least Joelle's friend is trying and she isn't even on the ranch. Joelle not fighting tempatation next week her friend is livid. I can't wait til next weeks episode.

zinkemomx2
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Dan was running at 7mph. I think that is darn good for someone over 400 pounds.

I was shocked when I saw David ordering fries and hot dogs. It saddened me to see him sitting there and the whole family was obese. He needs to get back to the ranch.

heather88
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I was really sad for Jerry, but I probably would have voted the same as everyone else for the same reasons. I was REALLY happy to see how great he looked in the interview after the show . . . he has really done well and so has Stella it was very inspirational.

I'm glad that Bob flipped out on Joelle. She kept making smart comments and was talking to get out of working out as hard as everyone else. She is afraid to push her body to the limit and I honestly don't think she ever has. I hope that the weigh-in made her realize that she needs to work harder and she really needs to start thinking about her teammate too!

I'm worried about David too . . .why would you go home and order fries and two hot dogs? Why did his family take him out to eat at a place like that? It was just confusing to me . . .

sportmom
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I have to think some of it is just plain not knowing better or being educated about it. I think there's a whole subset of us who could write our own diet book with our knowledge but haven't made it work for us, but there are still really some people out there who don't know the basics of good nutrition. Not that the info isn't out there, but they haven't done the reading or whatever and just keep living like they don't know WHYYY they're gaining all this weight.

willow650
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Okay, the guy doing leg presses with the other guy sitting on the weight thingie? How cool was that?

that was completely awesome

MotoMichelle
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
It is such a change from the last season. I loved the part of the challenge where they went back down the mountain and walked the boy from the orange team up to the finish. I hope they stay this way and not like the others.

I agree! I thought last Tuesday's episode was very good. With the exception of Joelle's lack of effort and the contestants commenting on that there doesn't seem to be any drama yet. When they helped Daniel finish up the mountain I was really happy to see such team work and encouragement.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
I'm glad that Bob flipped out on Joelle. She kept making smart comments and was talking to get out of working out as hard as everyone else. She is afraid to push her body to the limit and I honestly don't think she ever has. I hope that the weigh-in made her realize that she needs to work harder and she really needs to start thinking about her teammate too!

I don't blame Bob for flipping out. Joelle has been the most needy on his team yet also putting in the least effort. There's only so much babying you can give someone before you get tired of their lack of effort. She honestly does not seem like she really wants to be there and also seems to have a lot of other issues (besides health) that she needs to address.

So far I'm much happier with this season than last.

Jen415
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM

My thoughts exactly! If he can do it, so can I!!

RangerChic
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Quite an episode. Nice to see most of the at home contestants are working hard. David was a disappointment though for sure with his fries and hot dogs. Ugh.

wanna b thin
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I missed the first hour of the show so I didn't see the contestants at home. I am sad to hear about David, my thought is that with the whole family being obese he really doesn't have the information he needs about nutrition. I wouldn't be suprise if he thought he was doing good because in the past he would have ordered 3 or 4 hot dogs and more than one order of fries. I sure hope that somehow things change for him.

I couldn't be happier for Jerry and Estelle, they looked absolutely great.

Diva
01-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Word! I've been on the TM for a year now and the fastest I can go with busting my butt is 5.5 and 6.0 if I am careful so that was awesome and it was a lot of effort. I can't believe someone here said he was working as hard as the others. I beg to differ! Plus he lost 30 lbs the week before. Week two has almost always been a bad WI for a lot of them.

I was really sad for Jerry, but I probably would have voted the same as everyone else for the same reasons. I was REALLY happy to see how great he looked in the interview after the show . . . he has really done well and so has Stella it was very inspirational.

I am glad Bob went off on her because she is lazy and isn't putting forth the effort like everyone else is. How many of us here @3FC would LOVE to be on that show working out with Bob and Jillian? I know I would. It annoys me to see peeps there and making excuses and not putting forth the effort. Plus she talks WAY to much...Like in a weird way too. She's just plain weird to me. I laughed my butt off and was in shock when Bob lost it on her, and especially when he said he was possessed by Jillian! lol!

Sad to see Jerry go, but I agreed with the reasons, and he looks great! If anyone needs to go it's Joelle.

Jen415
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Forgot to say this earlier....

The ONLY reason I want Joelle to stay on campus is so that Carla can come back. Otherwise, I could do without her poor me attitude.

Sheila53
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
The ONLY reason I want Joelle to stay on campus is so that Carla can come back.

Me, too! I thought Carla was a hoot and a half when they showed her at home dancing. She's got a great attitude, and it's too bad she's having to rely on Joelle.

We have some hometown contestants (the yellow team) on this season so that's kind of fun for me.

JackieRn
01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I think as with most people who struggle with weight Joelle has her issues. We all have struggles and its important to remember that. The only difference is everyone gets to see her shortcomings broadcast on tv.

In comparison to the other contestants and given the wonderful opportunity she is in, I agree she needs to put in more effort but a part of me understands the fear of pushing beyond what you perceive to be your physical and mental limits and wondering if you will fail. She mentioned several times the shame she feels about the way her life has turned out and the poor choices she has made and I think thats a big part of her problem and difficult to overcome in just a couple weeks on the ranch.

Did anyone see the past BL winner on Oprah talking about gaining back some of the weight and the embarrassment he felt. I guess thats the flip side of the life changing biggest loser experience, when you lose everyone is inspired but when you slip up everyone around you knows and people feel they have a right to comment because you were on television. I can't imagine having to live under that kind of microscope. Having people recognize you at the grocery store, the movies, the gym, a restaurant etc.. and the comments they would make based on the food choices you made or their perception of the intensity of your workouts. The snide comments people feel justified in making towards non reality show contestants are bad enough, I think the BL contestants, Ruby and others experience this to a greater extent.

Issues centered around weight are complex and given the personal experiences of many people around here it can't be hard to have some empathy for Joelle. Our anonymity shields us from public judgement but honestly who gives everything they can at every workout and doesn't make excuses about not eating right. Weight gain is a symptom of at the very least the inability to cope in an adaptive way that spills over into all aspects of our lives. Who here can't relate to that. I think Bob is the perfect person to help her and she needs someone who is willing to be tough with her as do a lot of us.

Sarah C0nn0r
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I was very sad to see Jerry go home, but they are right. Dan does need to stay.

And yes! His partner going home and heading straight for the Hot Dogs and Fries just blew my mind! It shows that He needs more education as to smart food choices. I hope someone provides that for him.

Joelle really made me angry. All he wanted was 30 seconds of running. She'd do 15 and cave - and then tell him she was giving him her all. If I were the trainer, I'd be angry too. And it made everyone mad because he did this military style. If one messes up, they all pay until she gets it right.

I think she may be of the mindset that a lot of people are in when they first start this weight loss journey. Few succeed because they don't want to put in the time and effort that it really takes to get there. Some go on a diet for 2 weeks. Some make it a month or two and call it good. To set your goal and stick with it until you reach that goal takes real commitment. I don't know if she is in the right frame of mind to get there. And I'm sure she won't be this season's winner.

JackieRn
01-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I find it ironic that of all places, here on 3fc people actually feel anger towards Joelle. People don't only fail at weight loss because they don't put in the effort. Some people lack the time, resources, or knowledge to be successful. There is a strong correlation between obesity, poverty, and lack of education. The states that have the highest rates of obesity, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia etc.. also have the poorest least educated segment of the US population. Conversely, the more educated and financially stable you are the less likely you are to be overweight/obese.

For others there are complex psychological issues going on. I mean look at Dan at 19 to be that heavy there has to be some sort of dysfunctional element in his family that would allow for his weight to get to that point. At the very least, he has been exposed to poor eating/exercise habits his whole life and has developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. The task of losing 200+ lbs is daunting, I would not just say his current state is just due to a lack of effort. He has had the misfortune of being raised in an environment where clearly no one bothered to teach him and ensure he was making healthy choices. Other people are just fortunate enough not to have been raised in those circumstances and thats just by chance.

Ultimately for someone like Joelle its not about winning the show. If she is able to overcome her issues, lose the weight and view herself more positively then she has won. I just think when you start attributing all weight loss failure to a lack of effort you are leading into that whole overweight/obese people are lazy and lack will power. I just don't think its that simple.

Amarantha2
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I think Joelle is afraid to really put herself out there and give it all she has because that's how she's learned to deal with problems. She said it herself, "I'll just fake it 'till I make it."

I think that's sad because actually she has a lot of weight to lose and the physical ability to really do well on this show, maybe even win.

I think she'll do better in the future.

willow650
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
WOW Sliver team going AT IT!!!!!!....lol

junebug41
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I should really pay more attention to "SPOILER" in big letters in the title :lol:
But it does make me more excited to see it!

beautybooty
01-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I am confused, why wasn't the orange team part of the temptation?

RangerChic
01-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Tara wins the challenge! I am happy for her. Both those girls kicked *** on that challenge though.

sportmom
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
What was going on in the training room when Bob called in from Detroit? Did they mention it? Looks like they had their legs in wraps and on extended chairs or tables? I'm guessing they were having their shin splints iced down but wasn't sure.

sportmom
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Ahhh, team play and game play rears its ugly head for the first time tonite in the elimination. Jillian's team had to go and turn the tables on what they said. Take the stronger member from Bob's team. Here we go!

vixjean
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Sportmom- that's the first time I ever saw them being iced.

Ohhh, the game play started tonight.

I have very mixed feelings about Joelle. I do feel bad for her because she obviously has emotional problems. I was thinking Jillian would maybe be better working with her because she does focus on the emotional struggles as well as the physical ones. Joelle does not seem to be a mean person, just emotionally frozen, and yes - lazy.

So far, I love this season more than the last one.

willow650
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
WOW. The game was PLAYED!!!! For some reason, i thought they would all vote for Joelle. Man i wanted to see her gone but I understand why Jillians team did what they did. I hope there isnt to much discord in the house :(

zinkemomx2
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
DH was channel flipping between TBL and Obama coverage. I HATE that. I saw bits and pieces and thankfully the VCR was taping so I can catch up tomorrow. I can't believe they kept Joelle. I do agree with Vix that I think she might do better long term with Jillian. Right now she just seems afraid of Carla.

Idealmuse
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I know lots of runners in training for endurance ice down their legs in an ice cold bath after a long run... It cuts down the inflamation and helps the legs to recover faster and not be as sore... I was wondering if that's what they were doing. Wish they would have said!

Thin4Good
01-21-2009, 02:47 AM
I don't know about the game playing. Maybe I'm just being naive. - It just seemed to me like if Joelle went home then she would definitely not get any farther on her own and Carla would then hate her and so would not be working with her. -Damien (sp?) OTOH had his fiance at home and they would be able to support each other. He was already highly motivated.

heather88
01-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Ugh, I totally missed the show today! From the looks of it Joelle pissed everyone off even more. So, she is on Jillian's team now?! HAH.

Jen415
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Ugh, I totally missed the show today! From the looks of it Joelle pissed everyone off even more. So, she is on Jillian's team now?! HAH.

Huh?? What makes you say she's on Jill's team now??

hereyago
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I am confused, why wasn't the orange team part of the temptation?

I was thinking the same thing. Dan (orange team) didn't participate in the eating temptation challenge. He wasn't even in the room and there wasn't an explanation as to why?????????

Loved Carla giving Joelle what for. Joelle has issues and I don't think they are all physical.

I am getting a little fed up with people wanting to go home. We are two to three weeks into this and you need to see your family (yellow team). Did you not know from watching all the years past that the point is to work at the ranch for 3 months. The whining about going home is getting old.

Joelle excited about going home. Give me a break. You should have let Carla stay. Don't audition for the show if you want to stay home. Too many other people need this opportunity.

Jillian's team - what were you thinking? Mutual cooperation to game play so early in the game. Next week better open up with a throwdown between these two groups. For once I think that Bob's team is doing this for the right reasons.

MotoMichelle
01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I understand why Jillian's team voted the way they did, but I desparately hope this isn't the start of Vicky/Heba dumb drama. I do NOT want to see that again on TBL.

Great job on the challenge, Tara! That girl is quite the competitor.

I'm also curious as to why Daniel wasn't at the temptation. This week showed David at home continuing his poor eating habits. :(

KimL1214
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
okay, why get rid of Damien when he wants to be there and keep JoElle when she clearly does NOT want to be there or work for her weight loss. I'm really disappointed in them for voting Damien off.

willow650
01-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, her own team tried to vote her off, Jillians team, voted off their competition, its just the game. I did think it was a little early in the show to start the game playing though.

lovelandtx
01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I think Joelle is destroying Bob's team and that's why Jillian's team voted off Damien. And Joelle is sure to be below the yellow line again and again unless she pulls her head out of her !@#$% and kicks it in gear.
Carla's pretty funny and would have been better to stay on the ranch.

trekkiegirl
01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Okay, first off, way too much Carla and Joelle time. Way too much. I'm on the fence about Joelle. On the one hand, she is getting it from all sides, and they are being really harsh on her. On the other, I can sympathize with her teammates who are frustrated when, like Filipe said, they are giving 110% and she "fakes it until she makes it."

Mandi got on my nerves last night. I wasn't really warming up to her from the beginning but this constant crying about wanting to see her kids was annoying me. She seems to have the attitude that she should just be handed a prize because she has kids. So do Filipe, Dane, Blaine...heck, Blaine's wife is about to give birth! If being away from home was going to be that hard, then don't sign up for it! I'm sorry, but she cries when she's afraid she's getting sent home and she cries when she doesn't win getting sent home.

Curious about orange team missing from the temptation. Why didn't they say anything?

Tara's vomiting...the first time she did it, I was thinking, oh, poor girl, she puked. The second time she did it, I was like, okay, hmmm...but then last night when she said she threw up in her mouth, I was like, okay, ex-model girl knows how to vomit when she needs to. I admire her strength and stamina but I'm seeing she is also quite clever.

I knew the warm, fuzzy "we are all one team" feeling wasn't going to last but I admit, I was surprised it happened this fast and in those circumstances. But then, I do think Jillian's team made the best move for them strategically. Granted, they haven't become the blue vs. black shirts yet (and if/when that happens we don't even know if the same people will end up together) but they are Jillian vs. Bob's team, and they are going to protect themselves and their own first. They got rid of the stronger competitor and weakened Bob's team.

As far as the drama quotient, I knew they were going to amp it up this season when I saw how interminably long they spent on Carla and Joelle's histrionics. No, actually, I knew it sooner...when Bob cut loose on Joelle last week and that's what became the focus of the show's ads and mention on other shows.

SPOILERISH INFO BELOW - BEWARE!

The previews for next week...well, I came across some things online that lead me to believe that 1) Ron isn't going anywhere anytime soon (and therefore, neither is Mike); and 2) that Dan and Joelle don't make it all the way. Apparently, Ron was in danger of losing his council seat because his fellow council members hadn't excused his absence...but then they voted 4:2 in his favor. Anyway, it mentioned that Ron returned for 1 week for Christmas and then had to go back. The show started taping sometime in September, right? So either Ron makes it that far or, if he does get sent home now, he gets to come back.
Also, and this may not mean anything, but the way Jerry said it...in one of his post-elimination interviews he was asked who he keeps in touch with from the show. He mentioned Joelle and Dan. He said he and Dan talk "all the time." Now, the show is either still taping or just recently ended taping, right? I mean, 5 months would presumably be Sept-January. So...if he and Dan are talking "all the time", I figured that means Daniel has not spent the whole time on the ranch...and now that Jillian's team has essentially gone against Bob's team's wishes (even after asking them), I think all bets are off. There's no way Bob's team would send home 2 brown people and 2 of their own teammates over Dan. Just hypothesizing here...excluding Joelle, if the teams voted along team lines, it would cause a tie...Joelle would be the swing vote. Would she turn against her teammates that wanted her gone...or will she follow Bob's rule of keeping his team intact and oust Dan?

Thin4Good
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I thought that when they started showing the season they had all just gone home from the ranch (or at least that portion of the show was over) and then they are working out at home the same amount of time (while the show is actually airing) is that not right?

Jen415
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Jillian (on her radio show) has said that this season is longer than usual. So it is highly possible that a "week" isn't a week on campus.

Is the finale in April or May?

vixjean
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Ohhhhh.... I have a great idea, the people at home come back, and the people on the ranch GO HOME.... oh, i called it. =)

angeline
01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I am getting a little fed up with people wanting to go home. We are two to three weeks into this and you need to see your family (yellow team). Did you not know from watching all the years past that the point is to work at the ranch for 3 months. The whining about going home is getting old.

I totally agree. If she needed to go home so badly, then she should've eaten more in the temptation. One piece of pizza??!! And then she was mad about the silver (and blue) team eating more. Do what ya gotta do!!!

trekkiegirl
01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
BTW, I just read on Ali's blog that Dr. H needed to do some follow-up questions and tests with Dan (all turned out fine) and that Dan excused himself from the temptation. She also said, with all the stuff going on that show, they just didn't have time to mention it.

Okay....because we really needed to hear Carla go off on Joelle for so long? This show's not repetitive enough already?

They also have some new bonus videos up at the NBC website. After the challenge, Tara threw up again. A lot. Most likely drank a lot of water and it all came back up.

lovelandtx
01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Ooh, I heard Jillian say they were taping week 12 as of 1/18/09 (from her radio show.) And looking at the DVR on Direct TV, this season is 20 weeks long. Does that make any sense? That they would only have 3 months at home?

ennay
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
The timing of the show has confused me all along. I've been trying to gauge how pregnant Allison is because at the end of last season she was very pregnant but now she doesnt look that pregnant and IRL I think she is due right about now.

Thin4Good
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
lol- I have been doing the same thing! I thought she had her baby before the finale though ?

sportmom
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
No, at the finale she said she was due in 2-3 weeks. Still very much pg. She looks like she's about 6 mos in this week's episode, so it must have been filmed in September? They are still talking about it being 98 degrees - prob too hot for October, tho I realize they are in deserty conditions.

DisgruntledOne
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
My mom told me she had her baby like 2 weeks ago. Yeah the whole her been pregnant thing is confusing. She was HUGE at the finaly.

trekkiegirl
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Don't forget...last season's shows stopped taping sometime in August-September. The contestants were already home before Season 6 began airing...then in mid-September they began filming this season. The live finale was in mid-December, 4 months after last season's penultimate show. So the whole time we were watching last season, those guys were already home trying to lose for the finale. It can be a bit confusing at times, especially when they incorporate holidays and stuff in that are still a long way off. Remember how last season they acted like it was Thanksgiving, but the show was actually taped sometime in the summer? Anyway, so the finale happened live in December but we are now watching shows that began taping in the middle of September so Ali is "less pregnant" again. :p I read that she was actually taping BL when she had to go have her baby. I wonder if she'll miss any tapings. If she does, I think we should have Richard Simmons as a temp host. :D or maybe Ali Vincent, just to keep the name the same. :p

ennay
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Ali Vincent would be cool...I still like her.

RangerChic
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Don't forget...last season's shows stopped taping sometime in August-September. The contestants were already home before Season 6 began airing...then in mid-September they began filming this season. The live finale was in mid-December, 4 months after last season's penultimate show. So the whole time we were watching last season, those guys were already home trying to lose for the finale. It can be a bit confusing at times, especially when they incorporate holidays and stuff in that are still a long way off. Remember how last season they acted like it was Thanksgiving, but the show was actually taped sometime in the summer? Anyway, so the finale happened live in December but we are now watching shows that began taping in the middle of September so Ali is "less pregnant" again. :p I read that she was actually taping BL when she had to go have her baby. I wonder if she'll miss any tapings. If she does, I think we should have Richard Simmons as a temp host. :D or maybe Ali Vincent, just to keep the name the same. :p

You are correct. :)
I was just going to point the timing thing out, but you explained it well.

ennay
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Ack - There was a woman at my gym today working out with her trainer who was like mini-Joelle. Whine grump complain talk talk talk talk. Driving me crazy.. And then she said "I need to be more like JoElle and fake it til I make it. :o

zinkemomx2
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
fake it til I make it

Didn't Icky use that phrase a lot last season?

Thin4Good
01-23-2009, 01:30 AM
I think it is pretty funny they do the fake holidays- its not like we are so stupid we think they went into a time warp. :P

ennay- I think that lady should pick a new role model.

aangel22
01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Mandi got on my nerves last night. I wasn't really warming up to her from the beginning but this constant crying about wanting to see her kids was annoying me. She seems to have the attitude that she should just be handed a prize because she has kids. So do Filipe, Dane, Blaine...heck, Blaine's wife is about to give birth! If being away from home was going to be that hard, then don't sign up for it! I'm sorry, but she cries when she's afraid she's getting sent home and she cries when she doesn't win getting sent home.

I really don't understand how people can get annoyed at parents that miss their children. She has already said that she hasn't spent more than, what, 2 weeks away from her kids. They are still pretty young. As a mother of 2 boys, I completely understand. I would miss them so much it would hurt, but I would be there improving my health so that I could do more and be there longer for them in the end. The emotions are going to be there, you can try to fight it but they end up winning. Since my pregnancies, I am very emotional. I think in the moment she was just thinking of her kids and that after it was all said and done, she will probably look back and be okay that she did stay and that she didn't eat all the crap Carla did. yuck.:p

Ali did have her baby on January 12, 2009. Her name is Megan Hope. In case anybody cares. ;)

Hun.e.B
01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Didn't Icky use that phrase a lot last season?

fake it till you make it is what Bob tells you to do in his book

trekkiegirl
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Aangel, it's not the fact that Mandi misses her kids that I found annoying. It's that she seems to be using the fact that she has kids as the reason why she should win the opportunity to go home, as though it entitles her automatically to something without having to earn it. If so, why not give the same consideration to Filipe, Dane and especially Blaine, whose wife is about to have a baby? I'm sure they miss their children as well but they don't act like they've been sabotaged or had something purposely taken away from them when they don't win challenges. Tara wins the jumping challenge yet they have to console Mandi. Joelle wins the temptation yet they have to console Mandi. Mandi eats a single slice of pizza and has to be consoled over it not being enough. The girl doesn't seem happy to be there yet doesn't seem happy when she thinks she might be bottom and get sent home. What can I say except that she is coming across to me as either blaming other people/things for her failures (getting mad at Joelle who didn't even eat anything for the temptation) and not being a sport enough to let others enjoy their victories.

aangel22
01-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Trekkiegirl: I see what you mean now, I misunderstood at first. Sorry about that! I don't know why she feels she should win just because of her kids. I'm surprised nobody on the show is getting mad at her. Everybody is just focused on Joelle, I guess.

trekkiegirl
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
It's okay, aangel. Maybe I was a little harsh on her cuz I never really warm up to chronically weepy contestants. But she stood there after the temptation glaring daggers at Joelle, who hadn't even eaten anything, and said she herself deserved to win and was bitter about it. I can understand frustration with herself over losing but I'm not really liking the "I deserve it" attitude.

RangerChic
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree about the contestant whining and the "I deserve it more" attitude. NONE of them deserve to win anything unless they work for it and beat the others for it. I mean, the real reason they are on the ranch is to lose weight and get healthy, that's it. Yes, it's awesome if they can get some prizes or whatever, but they are there to lose weight. Do they miss their kids and family? I'm sure they do, and I would too, but no one deserves anything more than another contestant just because they have kids at home.

SouthLake
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I think Mandi is so whiny because she's out of her comfort zone. I mean this gal has even lower self esteem than just about anyone we've seen on this show. And, who can blame her? Did anyone else catch what she was saying when she got her phonecall home? That it was good for her husband to hear that she's doing well because he can start believing in her or somethign to that effect? Red flags! Either way, the whining does bother me. But, I have a feeling thta she'll only improve from here.

willow650
01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
WOW Dan has lost 101LBS!!! I was so excited to see that. I really wanted to see Jillian get a hold of Dave though. I really do think the Brown team needed to stay. Even though I don't like Joelle, I'm glad to see she pushed her self and saw what she could do.

trekkiegirl
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Was tonight the most predictable show or what? Between the previews from last week and the sureness of the teams voting along the Bob/Jillian team lines, it was a given that orange would go home, even before Dave opened his mouth. The only thing that surprised me was that they didn't put Joelle last as the tiebreaker. I feel like Filipe is just now generally peeved at everybody on Jillian's team.

Anyway....Dan looked great. Dave....well, on the surface Dave reminds me a lot of LT. They talk a big game ("gonna shock everybody at the finale", "eyes will be opened,", etc.) but...I'm not expecting him to look much different than he does now. I hope I'm wrong. Dave did have a point, although it came off sounding more like an excuse. He said it was meant to be a lifestyle change and I was reading between the lines that I think he was trying to say he was going to do it in his own time and his own way to make it work for him. I mean, most contestants that are eliminated seem to go into overdrive in the ensuing months before the finale. Then the hoopla is over and they gravitate to a higher weight. That whole period of time is still kind of out of the "normal life" mode because they're working extra hard for the finale and I don't think most of them keep up at that level afterwards.

I've noticed Ron has been really restricted with what he does and wonder why this hasn't been mentioned. He was barely seen at all tonight. He never does anything high impact, like jump or run. When Bob had his tirade with Joelle and made the group sprint, Ron walked. I definitely think Ron has been excused from having to go all out; I just wonder why the show is suddenly mum about a player's restrictions on exercise. Last season, we were told off the bat that Jerry S. and Tom had been given a restriction; this season, Jerry H. confirmed it after he'd been eliminated and nothing's been said about Ron at all.

Dane is a machine. Black team has been doing really well since the beginning but this guy is a machine.

Next week's preview is somewhat misleading. In the shot where Mike says "I want to be here, I'm trying my best" sitting right behind him is David! They obviously took that from tonight's pre-elimination scenes.

BTW, Jerry said that Daniel wants to be a Baptist minister.

MariaMaria
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
What I noticed was how close Dan's mental issues (confidence, ability to work hard, fear of failure etc) were to Joelle's. I'm trying to find a good reason other than sexism that he got a kind edit on this one while she's made out to be an whiny, overly emotional headcase, but I'm not getting anywhere.

ennay
01-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Maria - prefacing by saying of course that all I have to go on is the footage edited to make me believe what they want me to believe...

I'm guessing its because the other contestants didnt react to him the same way? Dan seems really outgoing and likeable and even when he was phoning it in, he was still laughing and being part of the team (editing I know) and they might have genuinely liked him. And given him more slack for his age.

Where Joelle (it appears) would withdraw and hang back which alienated her own team and gave more dramatic footage to work with. Things like Dan saying all the right things but not doing are easier for a team to overlook than someone wanting to be home and acting like they dont want to be there. They probably didnt have as much footage to work with on Dan because everyone liked him.

I think the age factor plays in a lot too.

Plus...well if Bob went ape on Joelle and Jillian hung back on Dan...I cant think of the right comparison, but the manner in which Bob got on Joelle's case could lead to her team turning on her - not just pointing out that she isnt pulling her weight, but also that "worship the trainer" mentality may have made them feel like to succeed with Bob they had to turn on her too? (Herd mentality - like 7th grade only Bob and Jillian are the cool kids) . It appeared that when Jillian "lit in" to Dan it was in a more rah-rah manner.

JackieRn
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I think that is a very interesting point Ennay, Joelle's being withdrawn did make for better tv and also Dan is such a sympathetic figure given how heavy he is and his status as the heaviest player in the history of the show.

I'm impressed that he has lost 101 lbs but to think he started out at 450+ and has to do that at least 1 and 1/2 more times to be at a normal weight makes it difficult to be frustrated with him especially given the developmental stage of most teenagers.

Joelle on the other hand is an adult and its easier for people to be judgmental and more "acceptable" if she is portrayed in a less flattering manner. I'm just pleased she seems to be making progress I hope she continues.

ennay
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
OH - I meant to say. That product placement where Bob told them to stop eating that *face that implies not only yucky but not a good choice* oatmeal and instead have artificially sweetened highly processed fiber one cereal. GAG

My biggest peeve with the show is the pushing of artificial crap, but this is the first one I have seen them actually say DONT eat a real food, eat this processed stuff instead. And weren't they pumping one of the oatmeals last season? Did they get dropped from quaker's list and they are out for revenge?

1/2 cup cold cereal is not breakfast.

I could never be on that show, they would have to edit my opinions on all the products that sponsor the show out. Yogurt with artificial sweetener, gum with AS, jello with AS cool whip with AS, microwave in plastic baggies!

Thin4Good
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
^ that ticked me off too. I didn't understand what he was trying to say. SO, oatmeal is bad for you??? The product placement ads on their make me think of how they were on "The Truman Show" - who are they kidding? Do they not make enough money off of the freaking show???

sportmom
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Yes, they used to pimp the Quaker instant oatmeal, heat healthy, carb control, weight control - all those trios of that specially branded stuff. I missed that he called out the Mr Quaker dude on tv - can't believe that! i love my oats and he can't change that. But yep, pretty irresponsible to compare one against the other and go with your new sponsor as a clear winner when it is not. I am getting less and less dependent upon this show as a fan. Usually it's on in the background now, i tune in and out. That's probably an ok thing.

pokio
01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Probably a silly question, but this is my first season watching the Biggest Loser. (I was really routing for... well, all of them, but Daniel especially, so I will keep to myself who I want to win now!) Anyway, with the couples thing, do they eventually "uncouple" and start being accountable for only themselves, or do they stick together the whole way through? Or is that one of those things that they kind of drop on everyone as a surprise?

trekkiegirl
01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Probably a silly question, but this is my first season watching the Biggest Loser. (I was really routing for... well, all of them, but Daniel especially, so I will keep to myself who I want to win now!) Anyway, with the couples thing, do they eventually "uncouple" and start being accountable for only themselves, or do they stick together the whole way through? Or is that one of those things that they kind of drop on everyone as a surprise?

Not a silly question at all, in fact, it's a little bit tricky to answer because they seem to change the rules and format often and, I think, improvise on what comes next based on the players and what's happening.
Season 5 was also a couples version (and so, essentially, was season 6, even though it was called Families because it was husbands/wives and parents/children) so I'll go by those.
They start as couples and, like you've seen, go off into Bob vs Jillian camps. At some point, the teams are then turned into blue shirts (Bob) vs. black shirts (Jillian) and those can be whomever is picked.
In Season 5, Bob won a challenge over Jillian (racing up and down an escalator) and got to pick his blue team, going for the biggest guys, the strongest competitors, some of whom had been training with Jillian. They weighed in as individuals but it also counted towards the entire team's weigh-in. The losing team had to pick somebody from their team to send home, except for the person who had the greatest weight loss percentage of the team--they had immunity. The winning team wasn't even in the elimination room.
In Season 6, the couples started out immediately as Bob's (husbands/wives) vs. Jillian's (parents/children). The first 2 weeks, they were sent home as couples. Then, in Week 3 (and for a couple of weeks after) the lowest team (in this case, yellow) was told only one of them would go home and they themselves would have to decide which one (there was no voting). I think it was done this way because, since the teams are weighed before the weigh-in we see, the producers knew this team would fall and, being a personable young girl and her father who had medical issues, it was a way to send the dad home but let the daughter stay. In Week 4, a husband and wife fell below, and they decided the husband would go home. Then one of the wives won a temptation and she got to choose how to organize the blue vs. black teams. She pretty much kept Bob vs. Jillian's teams intact except that she switched off a husband she didn't like to Jillian and chose a daughter who seemingly wanted to train with Bob anyway, breaking up two couples.
This season, they already introduced yet another departure from the format, in that they forced 9 teams to send one person home for 30 days. That was a surprise. But I'm pretty sure they'll eventually go blue vs. black again...whether that's before couples get split up or after, I don't know...but at some point the contestants do weigh in and participate in things as individuals, even if their partner is still there.
Also...I wouldn't give up hope on seeing Daniel on the show again. In the two previous seasons, the eliminated contestants were brought back to try to win a place back on the ranch. In Season 5, the highest at home weight loss man and woman got to return and the woman went on to win it all, Ali Vincent. In Season 6, they did a stair stepper challenge among the eliminated players and one of the husbands got to come back because he won that.

KimL1214
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
the product placement was pretty annoying...

ennay
01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I really hope that if they have an eliminated player return it is based on weight loss, not some crazy challenge. After all, in theory, weight loss is the whole point.

RangerChic
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
the product placement was pretty annoying...

It is, but I tell myself, its what "pays the bills" for the show. I figure yes, the commercials are there, but obviously, they need more to even out the costs.

jasmine987
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I think they should be a bit more selective as to what products they push. Most of it is overprocessed stuff no one should be consuming.

Does anyone know if BL has ever had a vegetarian or vegan as a contestant?

Hun.e.B
01-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I think the point of the inshow commercial was to have an alternative to oatmeal...bob says he eats it all the time. He even asks them what they had yesterday, what did they have the day before. I think his point (although not made very well) was that you can get lots of fiber from the cereal and have an alternative to oatmeal. Just how I took it anyway, I dont think he was saying oatmeal is bad.

Robot
01-29-2009, 01:46 AM

I've never seen one on there, I could be wrong though. I don't watch it religiously. I'd go on there to represent the veg*ans, but I don't think I weigh enough.

Bobbolink
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I never see Jolene smile, they must edit that out. I think there will be lots of friction between her and her partner (name?) in the upcoming episodes. Her partner has a bit of a temper, I can't wait to see if shes all talk and no results.

RangerChic
01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I think the point of the inshow commercial was to have an alternative to oatmeal...bob says he eats it all the time. He even asks them what they had yesterday, what did they have the day before. I think his point (although not made very well) was that you can get lots of fiber from the cereal and have an alternative to oatmeal. Just how I took it anyway, I dont think he was saying oatmeal is bad.

I agree. Also, the cookbooks have other breakfast alternatives in them as does the BL Club.

RangerChic
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM

No. I think that most vegetarians or vegans are pretty healthy for the most part (not saying all are mind you), so they normally wouldn't have to be on the show. Now, I know contestants have later changed to those lifestyles though.

Bobbolink
01-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I got up and cheered when Bob said, "Eat This". I'm a huge fan of Fiber One, that alone was key to losing my weight. I averaged 6 pounds a month for 5 months to reach goal. Fiber One kept me full, for breakfast I had a serving of it plus whatever fruit was in season and 1/2 cup skim milk or 4 oz. of yogurt. This breakfast kept me full until lunch time. I'm still eating it daily, I have a pear or banana on it plus a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Bob stressed the point that 1 serving had only 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber, most people don't get enough fiber in daily.

Jen415
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Shannon: I know of a few that aren't...they may not eat meat but they sure know how to go for the full fat cheese!

Bobbi: I think Fiber One is a great cereal too! I don't eat cold cereal much, but that is one of the ones I like.

Thin4Good
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure they would have no problem paying the bills, even if they didn't do the blatant advertising. It just makes the show feel fake and cheap to me. :shrug: Sadly there are people that will only see that he said NOT to eat the oatmeal, which he acted pretty negative about. He could have said - "Yeah, oatmeal is great for you, but if you want a cold cereal one morning you could try this because it has........." Instead it seemed more like, "Oatmeal is boring and old news, eat this instead. It's much better for you anyway."

I missed the first show this season so could someone please explain why two of the teams got to keep both members on the ranch the whole time?

ennay
01-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Instead it seemed more like, "Oatmeal is boring and old news, eat this instead. It's much better for you anyway."

I missed the first show this season so could someone please explain why two of the teams got to keep both members on the ranch the whole time?

YEah that was my point. Although I am an AS **** so that loses me too.

Anyway to your question. The black team won the first challenge and that was the prize - immunity for the team and the brown team won the first weigh in - The way the first weigh in worked only the highest % was immune, every other pair was "below the yellow line" and had to send one person home for 30 days.

RangerChic
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Shannon: I know of a few that aren't...they may not eat meat but they sure know how to go for the full fat cheese!

Guess those carbs creep up sometimes!

And, for anyone who is interested, Jillian's show from this past Sunday talked about vegetarian eating since she just recently converted to it. You can DL it on itunes.

Jen415
01-30-2009, 09:34 AM
You can also DL the podcast from KFI Radio, I think!

pokio
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
TrekkieGirl, thanks for explaining all that to me! I'm not only new to TBL, but pretty much to any kind of Reality TV so I wasn't sure. I will keep my fingers crossed that I'll see Daniel back again, but I find a lot of the contestants really personable and I like watching them all.

I was also wondering about those product placements! Definitley annoying. I could have been imagining it, but the way Jillian was talking about Extra gum, I felt like she just wanted to roll her eyes. And you know, I'm curious about the studies they are talking about. I had heard that Diet Coke and anything with the fake sugar in it actually makes you crave sugar more... don't know how true that is, but you would think that any gum with the fake sugar in it would kind of follow the same principle...

RangerChic
01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I was also wondering about those product placements! Definitley annoying. I could have been imagining it, but the way Jillian was talking about Extra gum, I felt like she just wanted to roll her eyes. And you know, I'm curious about the studies they are talking about. I had heard that Diet Coke and anything with the fake sugar in it actually makes you crave sugar more... don't know how true that is, but you would think that any gum with the fake sugar in it would kind of follow the same principle...

Jillian has said on her radio show that she really dislikes doing the placements. This is why we see Bob more than her doing them.

ennay
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I WILL NOT watch it tonight. I WILL NOT watch it tonight. I WILL NOT watch it tonight. I WILL NOT watch it tonight.

Every week I DVR it and every week I end up staying up to watch it and then I am sooooooo tired the next day when I have to get up at 5.

pokio
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
It's a little silly how much I look forward to watching this show... :o

practiceliving
02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Did anyone else want to smack Joelle and tell her to shut up tonight? I feel so bad for Carla, because she wanted so badly to stay and is so committed to the process. Something tells me those two aren't pals anymore!

ennay
02-04-2009, 02:08 AM
I watched it - DOH!

I'm glad Joelle is gone, I'm sorry Carla is.

Do you think Joelle will even come back for the finale?

willow650
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
My husband said about Joelle "she just opens her mouth and stupid falls out"....:rofl:

Bobbolink
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with Willows hubby about stupid, I would like to smack Joelle and Aubrey. Joelle didn't want to be there, I wish they would show us what they are eating calories wise.
Aubrey is a hypocrite, she stood up making excuses about only losing 2 pounds while at home and then was so nasty to Joelle. Not that Joelle didn't need it! Aubrey said she was in the gym exercising for 4 hours a day, duh! She would have lost more than 2 pounds for the whole month. She couldn't have been following a food plan, she probably thought as long as she exercised she could eat whatever she wants. I'm new to TBL this season and I was hoping they'd show us what they were eating. I dislike Aubrey, I think she'll be mouthy for the rest of the season.

ennay
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I thought Aubrey was out of line getting all over Joelle. She hadnt been there, she didnt do the work at home either. I want to like Aubrey, but she annoyed me.

DisgruntledOne
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Agreed I thought it was very interesting how Aubrey said something to the affect that Joelle was making too many excuses for something like that. I do believe Aubrey made excuses when the two pounds she lost came up on the scale.

willow650
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
What did yall think about Bob and Jillian jumping on Alison? She was trying to make Aubrey fell better about her 2 lbs, I thought it was a tad funny, but Alison is pregnant, you don't yell at the pregnant lady. I am surprised she didn't cry, I would have

wanna b thin
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Joelle and her local trainer were on a Detroit news program this morning. She made several interesting comments. When ask about her time on the ranch and tranining with Bob, she said the she pushed herself to area's she never felt she could go. As far as her not losing any weight on this weeks show, she explained that last nights episode was acutally recorded in November, she went home for part of the time because her absentee ballot was lost, so she went home to vote. She said "Others went home for things they were passionate about". When ask about her relationship now with Carla, she said they were okay and said something about losing weight and going off medications for high blod pressure and diabetes caused a roller coaster of emotions. She said she and Carla were acquantances, they said they were best friends but they were acquantances when she ask Carla to go on the show.

The newscaster ask her trainer how she was doing now. Her trainer said "she has lost 60 lbs, she is reaching the goals she has set for herself" and then commented something about the numbers on the ranch being unrealistic at home.

It was interesting, the same Joelle attitude.

aangel22
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Willow, I would've cried too!

Wanna b thin: Joelle is really unbelievable. They really did not act like best friends on the show and especially after! I know if my best friend and I went on something like that, we would fight so hard to stay there. Nothing would get between us and we would probably end up being better friends than ever before. I understand now why things were that way. Joelle did it for the money and Carla got Joelle to be her teammate because of that. They were both selfish, in their own way. Too bad it didn't work out for Carla though...

I can't believe Jillian said something about losing inches is nothing when the scale doesn't move...I know it wasn't exactly like that, but she basically said that unless you are showing your weight loss on the scale, inch loss means nothing. Oh, and you can't gain muscle and lose weight?? That is a new one to me. What happened to muscle weighing more than fat. I'm so confused...:?:

wanna b thin
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I thought Jillians comment was strange too. Although with 30 days of exercising 4 hours a day, she should have lost more unless she was still overeating a lot.

trekkiegirl
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
The drama this season is all over the place. Moreso than last season at this point, it seems.

I'm glad Joelle and Carla are gone. I could see both sides--I'd be mad if I was Carla busting my hump and getting nothing from Joelle but Joelle does not deserve the tirades and level of hostility she received, not just from Carla but everyone. This, to me, was just a case of 2 people who perhaps shouldn't be friends, shouldn't have done the show together, sent the wrong one home, etc. Just a bad scenario all the way around.

So back comes Mandi's (I deserve to go home because I have kids) sister Aubrey (I lost 2 pounds in 30 days but I'm still better than you) going off on Joelle. Pot, meet kettle. :mad:

Maybe it's just me (or the editing) but...I'm seeing some seething anger and braggadocio in Filipe that's putting me off. People always seem to paint black team that way because they seem to be always be cast with an alpha male team (I guess thinking of early Mark and Jay) but there was no black duo last season and this season...yeah, Blaine and Dane are big, strong guys, but, so far, I'm not seeing them be overly angry, aggressive or boastful for the camera. Heck, Dane barely talks and last night, they were hardly even on...although as soon as I saw them standing near the kitchen, I was like, here comes the commercial. :p And did you hear the actual Cheerios commercial later talking about the black team losing over 100 pounds, lol? You know, sometime after the Denny's commercial. :dizzy: Anyway, I like black team. :)

I think brown team is going to be around for a while yet, based on what I've read but I do feel sorry for Ron. You can tell he's been restricted with his workouts--he's hardly ever shown during them, and when he is, it's nowhere near the level of intensity of the others. He physically is not capable of doing some of the challenges (and BTW, that "ground shaking" effect they've been using, most recently when Ron fell last night, is just plain mean and in poor taste no matter what, and even more so in the context of this show). I do think he and Mike need to be there...like Dan, neither of them has known anything different and Ron needs to learn as much as Mike does. I'm curious, and maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this..but I'm guessing the look of Ron's folds on his stomach...that is from his surgery? If he loses weight, will he lose some of that?

I kinda liked it better before the players came back. Last night I felt like the focus was on a few teams while others were hardly on.

JennyRaye
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I think it is absolutely amazing that Dane/Blaine have lost 140 lbs between them.

I can see the other side of Aubrey's little tirade with Joelle. Aubrey went home, she wasn't successful. She knows what a gift it is to be on the ranch and able to focus solely on her needs--to get healthy. She didn't come back to the ranch complacent. She showed that she appreciated what a gift it is. Joelle just took the gift for granted. (Am I reading it right that Joelle was the one who talked Carla into coming on the show?) Nobody else was standing up for Carla. Typically it's the partner of the person who has their back, but no one had Carla's. It seemed like Aubrey and Carla had developed some sort of relationship. And Aubrey was standing up for her. Aubrey seems to respect Carla, wanted her to get a chance, and didn't feel like it was fair for her partner to blow it for her. I don't blame her--I didn't either. It burns me when I think of the people who would do just about anything to get the chance to really concentrate on themselves like that, and Joelle basically said, 'pffftttt. Whatever.' :rollpin:

ennay
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll admit I was kind of hoping they would pull a twist like they did last season to keep Colleen from going home with her dad. Something like "tonight you have to vote off 2 of the 4 people below the yellow line, but they dont have to be teammates" Then Joelle and Ron could have gone home and Mike and Carla could have stayed. I dont have anything against Ron, but he is going to keep pulling Mike down and unless the teams split up soon its not going to last long.

I still dont LIKE carla, but I respect her work. But yeah, her screaming at Joelle got very old, very fast. Carla is not a person I could be friends with. Because she was pretty selfish and unsupportive of Joelle too. And, while she was doing ok, lets face it, 9 lbs on her size wasnt going to keep her there either.

KimL1214
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm glad Joelle is gone as she really did bring everyone else down.

I was pretty disappointed in Jillian for her comment about the inches as I was taught (I took classes to become a personal trainer, just didn't have enough time to finish before graduating) that everyone gets to a certain point where the muscle gain is more then the fat loss, so gains sometimes occur while inches disappear. I think what they meant is that no one who is currently on the show is at that point yet. None of them have lose enough weight for their muscle gain to start out-weighing their fat loss. Am I making sense?
ennay~ I agree, Carla did have a good work effect but I would definetely not think about having her as one of my friends.

MariaMaria
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
everyone gets to a certain point where the muscle gain is more then the fat loss, so gains sometimes occur while inches disappear. I think what they meant is that no one who is currently on the show is at that point yet. None of them have lose enough weight for their muscle gain to start out-weighing their fat loss. Am I making sense?

Hormonally normal women (like Aubrey, who's managed to conceive five kids)
just don't gain pounds of muscle that easily.

vixjean
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I was very impressed with what Jillian said. Muscle weighs the same as fat, 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. However, muscle does take up much less weight than fat. Muscle is gained over a period of time, not 30 days. Everyone else there lost TUNS of fat and water... and to think she was the ONLY that gained muscle. THAT's is what this show needs to do is to pull the blindfolds off of people that THINK they know all about weight loss, the ones that SAY they try SO HARD, but yet the do not shed weight. For more info on myths, check out this post...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78815&highlight=myths

sportmom
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, I agree. Even on the Body for Life program which several of us are doing, they state that even tho we are lifting weights VERY intensely, we will also lose fat and water in the beginning. You might be LUCKY to put on 9 lbs of muscle in 18 months, so you are not going to offset your fat loss in one week, 2 or a month even. So, true that. And even tho we are drinking a ton of water and working out, they said yes, we will still lose water weight bc guess what - a smaller body just doesn't need as much water to regulate its metabolic processes, so yes, it will dispense out some water along with all the fat that is burned.

pokio
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Ugh, I'm so annoyed! For some weird reason, NBC was airing basketball last night when TBL was supposed to be on...? Anyway, I was under the impression that Hulu and NBC.com showed the episodes in their entirety the day after the show, but when I go on there, it looks like the show from last week. Anyone watch online or have any idea about that?

ennay
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
pokio - when they did that in my area - since it was a local broadcast of the NBA game, the local channel re-aired the episode a few days later...my DVR fortunately caught it, but not of course until I had come on here and found out what happened.

DisgruntledOne
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Pokio......same as ennay. I had to go to the channels web site to see the progra change.

Zen Pharmacy
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
They post the full episodes online, but I believe that it usually takes a few days. I'm not sure when because when I've gone to look on the Sunday or Monday after, they have posted.

trekkiegirl
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Ugh, I'm so annoyed! For some weird reason, NBC was airing basketball last night when TBL was supposed to be on...? Anyway, I was under the impression that Hulu and NBC.com showed the episodes in their entirety the day after the show, but when I go on there, it looks like the show from last week. Anyone watch online or have any idea about that?

Pokio, NBC puts up the shows a week and a day later. They put up episodes the day after the following episode airs. So, 2/3's show won't be up until 2/11.

iTunes has it available for download now but you'd have to pay $1.99 for the download.

Edited: I just remembered. If you get the Fine Living Network (FLN), check the schedule for this weekend. They've been airing TBL rebroadcasts.

angeline
02-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Aubrey rubs me the wrong way too. After Yellow won the challenge, she said "I couldn't have done it without her". NO KIDDING - it was a TEAM challenge.

I'm glad the Green girl stepped up to the plate. I was kinda wondering if she'd be able to. Her partner is quite competitive.

I really hope Carla does good at home!

RangerChic
02-07-2009, 01:47 AM
I finally got through this week's episode yesterday (now that I'm working, there's such little time!). I was sad to see Carla go, but unfortunately, Joelle just wasn't dedicated. I've spoken with Carla on myspace though, and she seems very sweet and dedicated, so I hope she looks awesome at the finale!

I too was glad to see Laura come back and get her booty in gear. Tara is a great contestant and competitor, so her partner needs to be able to follow suite.

Hun.e.B
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Does anyone else feel like they really made it come across as if you cannot do it at home? Like you HAVE to be on the ranch in order to lose?

DisgruntledOne
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Does anyone else feel like they really made it come across as if you cannot do it at home? Like you HAVE to be on the ranch in order to lose?

To lose weight in general no. To lose insane amounts of weight a week.....yes.

vixjean
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
tara is soooo dramatic, and talks sooo much.... she reminds me of Heba. Yes she does work hard and kick butt, but she has something to say about everything...

I like the purple team more now ...

MariaMaria
02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Confession: I'm still not certain which one is the taller one--and I'm pleased that I finally figured out that the beardless one is the one who went home for the new baby.

trekkiegirl
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I found myself really disliking 3 people tonight.

I am so ready for Mandi and Aubrey to go home. I'm tired of watching Mandi continue to whine and cry and guilt everybody else into getting what she wants. Some win. At least 3 people threw the game for you. I even cringed when she said her husband was "weary" when she meant wary.

The third person--Bob. Where to start?

1. The enormous pressure he kept putting on Mike's shoulders.
2. Saying his reputation was on the line if brown team fell below and that this would be the first team he couldn't do anything for if that were the case. Besides the obvious (silver team, anyone?), I really disliked how he made the brown team's possible loss all about himself. What about what it would have done to Mike and Ron's spirits?
3. "Dane and nobody else. Dane and nobody else." I felt like he was trying to program robots. No doubt he will be ticked off next week when he sees most of his teams didn't listen to him.

Jillian seems to love Tara. They have similar temperaments. And did anybody else get the feeling Tara has a bit of a crush on Blaine?

MariaMaria, you know how I got myself to remember Blaine/Dane? Blaine with the longer name is the taller one. :p

MariaMaria
02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
That's great, Trekkiegril--thanks.

And yeah, Tara seemed to have a bit of a crush. I noticed how appropriate--shoulder/arm only, totally without the possibility of being misinterpreted-- she was hugging him at the weigh-in.

Thin4Good
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
^ I said something about how hung up on him she was, then asked Dh if she was married.... then pointed out that Blaine definitely IS married. It would be cute if they were both single..............

The weary, wary issue bugged me too!!! ugh!

I agree about Bob too. Mike is just a kid. I would hope that his dad would be angry to hear what Bob was saying to him. - I would.

KimL1214
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Okay, so Mandi really bugs me because of her whining, Aubrey because of all her ridiculous excuses, I mean come on, 1 lb.??? Mandi is definitely carrying the yellow team, but she's so annoying... Aubrey needs to go. Tara works really hard, but annoys me in a way also. I feel like she is too cocky at times. I also have to agree with trekkiegirl when it comes to Bob. He needs to step it up. I realize he is injured, but that has nothing to do with what goes in his mouth. Someone his size should be dropping huge numbers.
I have to say that I agree with vixjean and am really starting to root for the purple team. The way Kristin told everyone off last night really made me proud of her!

Bobbolink
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Ellie...I agree with you about Mandi/Aubrey. I didn't like Aubrey on the episode where she lashed out about Joelle and she only lost 2 pounds for the whole month. She didn't do well this week either, 1 pound. At least Mandi held up her end losing 6 pounds.
I am so ready for Mandi and Aubrey to go home.
I loved the determination on Mom/daughter team of Cathy and Kristin. I thought Cathy (mom) would drop her end of the pole but she was solid as a rock holding it up. They both have a fierce competitive nature but Kristin needs to shut her mouth in more ways than one. I can't stand her constant yakking and know-it-all attitude. With all the help they have available on the ranch, she should have her eating habits figured out by now. I'm very aware of reaching plateaus or her 'time of the month' that affect her weight but she wouldn't have gained two pounds. Staying the same I can see, but not gaining. I wish they would show their eating habits and what they actually eat.

Mercee
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Perhaps Kristen used a little game play since they had immunity.

luckycharm
02-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I missed last nights show, so can someone tell me who got voted off?

4me4mygirls
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Luckycharm,

I think it was blaine- it was one of the black team for sure.

Mercee,

I was thinking the same thing. It won't be surprising if she ends up with a big loss next week after the 2 pound gain this week. I think if you have immunity, you should lose it if you gain. That would stop the stupid water loading thing. Actually, I wish they wouldn't vote anybody off at all and they would all stay at the ranch the whole time.

trekkiegirl
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I missed last nights show, so can someone tell me who got voted off?

It was Blaine. They went to a single team falling below the yellow line, and the others had to vote one person of that team off. Black fell below and Bob whispered to/ordered his team to vote out Dane. Blaine made a plea to send himself home because he had a newborn, missed his family, could do it at home, etc. Dane didn't say anything. After they left the room and the other teams deliberated, things got pretty heated and emotional. It became an issue of do they honor Blaine's wish to go home or do they go the gameplay route and vote out Dane because he's got more weight to lose than Blaine and has been doing a little bit better than Blaine weight-loss wise. Kristin and pink mother (her name escapes me right now) were still holding a grudge because of the gameplay elimination of Damien. They were like, oh, you did gameplay to us and now you're begging us not to do it to you? In the end, however, pink voted to send Dane home but that was it. Blue, purple, green and brown all honored Blaine's wish and voted him off. Yellow's vote wasn't shown.

aangel22
02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Kristin and Tara both need to dial it down a bit. I think they are both cocky and think they know a lot. Mandi and Aubrey are getting on my nerves now. I was being really understanding with the whole missing your family thing, but after the way that pop challenge ended I was just really angry.
Oh, Bob is going to be sooo peeved when he finds out what his team did!
So much drama...

luckycharm
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Thank you. Now I feel that I am caught up.

Thin4Good
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I had to explain the water loading thing to DH. He was in shock! I don't believe for a second that she really gained two pounds. I'm not sure what she was crying about except that I guess she was trying to keep up the charade. I really can't say that I wouldn't so the same thing in their shoes though. That's the way the game goes. Otherwise, why shouldn't they all have had to walk back? Supposedly they are ALL trying to lose weight you know?

I agree with keeping them all there. I don't think that ANYONE should leave. Supposedly they are trying to help these people. Why not see what they ALL can do for the entire time?

MariaMaria
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't think that ANYONE should leave. Supposedly they are trying to help these people.

For me that's Weight Watchers, not entertainment television.

trekkiegirl
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I wonder when they are going to go into blue vs black shirt mode and who will end up deciding those teams. Bob's team still has all these huge guys. If I were someone on Jillian's side who got to decide, I would definitely break up blue team and put one of them on Jillian's side, probably Sione because he seems physically stronger. If Tara and Dane go down, I think Jillian's team may be dead meat...although I'm not really caring for the other three...but I do like Dane & Tara. And last night, I was actually thinking I halfway hope Dane wins the whole thing just to thwart Bob's obvious need to win.

Edited...hmmm...in the new TV Guide, it mentions on 2/24 "the new teams". So I'm thinking either next week or the week after they're going into black and blue mode.

Hun.e.B
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I agree with keeping them all there. I don't think that ANYONE should leave. Supposedly they are trying to help these people. Why not see what they ALL can do for the entire time?

I think it would be great if they could all stay on the ranch, so if they got "voted out" that just meant they were out of the running for the money but they still got to stay. Wouldnt be good for entertainment probably but still.

sportmom
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing it's next week that they're splitting, otherwise why only vote off one team member tonite. Why oh why couldn't the producers have moved that up by a week to last week when they knew silver was on the block. They could have kept Carla that way. Would have been good for ratings since she's so entertaining, as well as diversity. I don't think we've had a black person around for close to the end since Andrea did it in what - season 2? Would have loved to see her stay on - can't believe they didn't alter the plan since it's all about ratings, from what we've seen.

trekkiegirl
02-12-2009, 01:13 AM
BTW, I noticed on 2/24 they cut the show to an hour because of the Presidential Address. The 2nd hour will be Wednesday, 2/25.

I was watching the bonus videos up at NBC's site. Mandi never told her husband she applied for the show; she didn't tell him she was leaving until the week before. So on top of him not really "getting it", he was pretty ticked off with how she went about it. Between that and all that stuff Jillian said to Mandi about her not having enough autonomy and some spouses don't support out of fear of being left behind, I'm getting the impression Rusty is kind of controlling and domineering. That bonus scene was actually uncomfortable to watch.

You know, I noticed last season that Renee was kinda one of the least focused upon, the least talkative at first. It was like she didn't really start to have the spotlight on her until she won that circular balancing challenge. I'm wondering if one of the reasons we don't see Dane saying much now is because he'll get more attention later on.

I also think, rather than showing less of Ron working out, they should show more. Instead of showing/telling us what Ron can't do, what about what he can? Don't they have exercises for people with difficulties and handicaps? That would be good information for viewers.

vixjean
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
trek - Yes show us more workouts of EVERYONE. I hate how they load the 2 hours full of commercials and really only show the last chance workout, and MAYBE another workout, never show us what they are eating unless it is an add or challenge. The adds in the show are SOOO cheesy. Seriously, the challenge can be done with only one commercial break, as well as the weigh in.

ennay
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
OK, finally getting to read and post.

Bob - I dont think HE is the one putting the pressure on Mike, I think Mike is putting the pressure on himself and Bob was trying to help him face it. Mike was breaking down in fear mode "what if I cant what if I cant" and Bob was trying to get him in to FIGHT mode.

Him trying to dictate who to vote off is annoying though. He should just be a trainer. He underestimated how many parent/kid teams he had who were there for the kid, all of the parents except pink were prepared to sacrifice themselves later if given the opportunity and wanted to buy that support.

Tara - I dont care if she is mouthy, I like her. Better mouthy and backing it up. I like fighters who are willing to put themselves out there. I could see her going the way of Amy last season, she has such big numbers all the time and the second she has a bad week, BAM she is off. Laura needs to be slapped.

I miss that the overall biggest loser of the week doesnt get any perk anymore. I liked that.

I definitely think Kristin water loaded, who wouldnt? You still are losing weight and it keeps you there for 2 weeks.

I felt bad for Mandi's kids. I think it is more torture for them to see her for one day and then be separated again than to just stay away. I couldnt imagine leaving my kids for 3 months, but if I did, I wouldn't want to see them and leave again. That would be harder on them, easier on ME.

What is the deal with Aubrey? 1 week of bad weighing you could think TOM, but she basically has lost what 5 lbs since the first week? Is she eating off plan at the ranch?

MariaMaria
02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
What is the deal with Aubrey? Is she eating off plan at the ranch?

I'd guess food issues as well. Evidently they feed themselves on the ranch--no official plan to follow.

saef
02-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I also like Tara. I think she's no less aggressive and competitive than Blaine was, or Felipe or Sione. Perhaps it's just my experience from working in a department that's nearly all male, but I find aggressive women get criticized more than aggressive men.

And I was also wondering if Tara indeed had become a little attached to Blaine.

I'd like Kristin & Cathy more if ... okay, this is going to sound superficial of me, but ... if they weren't what I call "Skunkheads." It's solely their highlighting job. I finally noticed Kristin's beautiful eyes, because someone on this board pointed them out. It's hard to tell because the contestants aren't often shot in movie star closeups, where you can see their faces in fine detail. I've often wondered about the grooming issues on the ranch. Do the women grow their hair a little longer, over time? Do they have access to stylists at all? The usual look ought to be simply sweaty, with hair tied up. Kristin was lucky in the last challenge that it simply involved holding up a bar because she had enormous bangle earrings on & I think in some challenges, they might be a bit dangerous.

ennay
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd guess food issues as well. Evidently they feed themselves on the ranch--no official plan to follow.

Given what we all know, 80% diet, 20% exercise it seems unhelpful to not give them better diet coaching.

vixjean
02-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Tara is one of those people that knows everything, does the right thing, and tells others to do the "right" thing. I just wonder how someone so righteous got in her position in the first place.

ennay
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Tara is one of those people that knows everything, does the right thing, and tells others to do the "right" thing. I just wonder how someone so righteous got in her position in the first place.

How did we? I mean...I think there were quite a few people on 3FC who once they made the decision to take back control, they just did.

Tara kind of reminds me of my sister...that doesnt mean I like her more;) Just the stubbornness. I'm sure if my sister decided one day that she cared about her health she would be one who would just change and not look back.

sportmom
02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Did anyone watch QVC last nite? Ali was on QVC last nite selling a whole slew of BFL-branded items, from a 30 day plan book to hand blenders. THe host remarked that at the first show post-meeting, the results were so great that they discussed giving Ali more airtime with more products, so I guess she sells well and they will be making up new products for her to pitch. As a novice, I did think she did really well selling on live tv. You can probably go to the website and search under The BIggest Loser if you want to see what she was selling.

lovelandtx
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I thought Kristin was a very good actor at the weighing, I was actually laughing at the whole situation. I thought they had enacted some rule disqualifying the immunity if you gained, when Neil gained 17 lbs at one weigh-in, don't remember the season.
7 lbs down in 5 weeks! (should be more due to TOM)
:carrot::carrot::carrot:

lovelandtx
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I've been listening to Jillian Michael's on podcast for the last two weeks, she's very inspiring. Look for KFI Sunday on Itunes.

trekkiegirl
02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I was reading some of Blaine's post elimination interviews and one interesting thing he mentioned was that, even with Laura there, Tara still felt alone and the others (Blaine, Dane, Mandi) were more her partners. He mentioned how close the four of them got after the others went home. He also said that Dane doesn't create drama and doesn't need to be pushed as hard by Jillian--LOL, Jillian must love Dane this season. He doesn't seem to have any issues and he does what he's told. :p Also, he mentioned that Dane was the big fan of the show and got Blaine to come along. They applied for Season 6 but were called back for this season. They initially wanted to train with Bob but he's very happy they ended up with Jillian because she changed his way of thinking.

Mercee
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Can't wait to see what happens tonight.

hereyago
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I haven't visited this thread in a few weeks. Just went the BL site on nbc.com and they are casting a new trainer?!?!

Looks like the open auditions are being held later this week in a bunch of cities.

Any rumors or news that Jillian or Bob are leaving or if they are just bringing on a 3rd trainer?

Jillian's web ad is on almost every site that I visit, weight loss related or not. She has banner and side ads everywhere.

ladywinter
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I would have to say my least favorite people on there are Mandi and Kristin.

You know when you sign up for biggest loser you will be gone for three months. You need to deal with that ahead of time and not whine about your kids all the time.

I dont know just something about the personality of those two rubs me the wrong way.

saef
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Is it just me, or have we seen a lot more of Bob this season than we have of Jillian?

But Jillian's in all the advertising that I see, too. So are the show's producers trying to make it up to Bob & assure him he's just as key to the show? Or is Jillian transitioning out?

I really like Bob, and after seeing his class go through yoga with him, that makes me wish I could work with him. But Jillian plain-out fascinates me with her combination of drill sargeant snarl & psych-speak. Also, her type of beauty seems very current to me. About 20 years ago, she would not have fit the ideal. Now she does. It's not just her athletic body. I do not think her facial type was as fashionable before Angelina Jolie's ascendence. And there's some gender ambiguity about her as well. One of the guys that I have lunch with every day tells me he is riveted whenever he sees her because he can't decide whether she's really sexy or really scary. Something about her really **bothers** him & I think it's the gender ambiguity thing, only he cannot articulate it.

iwmonn
02-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I thought Kristin was a very good actor at the weighing, I was actually laughing at the whole situation. I thought they had enacted some rule disqualifying the immunity if you gained, when Neil gained 17 lbs at one weigh-in, don't remember the season.
7 lbs down in 5 weeks! (should be more due to TOM)
:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I told my dh- "you just watch. She will have a very small loss this week cuz they have immunity. They will have done water, or upped their salt"... LOL I had to explain it to him. Anyway... sure enuf +2. She miscalculated.

What I remember re: The Neil Rule is that she has to lose those 2 lbs before any other weight is counted. So in essence, if she loses 8lb tonight then only 6 will count. Hope I'm not misleading.

Bobbolink
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I am totally bummed out! I think Helen was selfish to stay and not keep her daughter at the ranch. Shannon had much more to lose than Helen. Shannon appears to be a mama's girl. She said she didn't think she'd be able to stay alone at the ranch without her mom. Didn't she look great at the end of the show! She always wanted to skate in a roller derby, that will really help to knock off some more weight. She is a very pretty gal.
I was hoping Ron would go home, he'll not last long at the ranch with his bad knees and I think Mike will do much better without worrying about his dad.

pokio
02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm new to The Biggest Loser... can someone tell me what the splitting up the teams is all about?

Tonight's was a good show, I think, and while I want everyone to succeed I wasn't overly sad to see pink fall below the yellow line... I'm not always crazy about the green team either, but I have to admit I was really happy to see Laura do well. The way Tara talks you would think that Laura spends her time at the ranch eating ice cream and pizza. It always seems like she's working, so I was glad to see her do well...

ennay
02-18-2009, 02:05 AM
I told my dh- "you just watch. She will have a very small loss this week cuz they have immunity. They will have done water, or upped their salt"... LOL I had to explain it to him. Anyway... sure enuf +2. She miscalculated.

What I remember re: The Neil Rule is that she has to lose those 2 lbs before any other weight is counted. So in essence, if she loses 8lb tonight then only 6 will count. Hope I'm not misleading.

Yeah that is what happened...her starting weight was 301 same as her starting weight from last week.

I was kind of rooting for brown to fall below to send Ron home. Only because as it gets farther in, game play could come in to it and then Mike would go home. But if they are going to Black vs. Blue next week then he doesnt have to carry his dad alone anymore.

jenne1017
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Why is Ron even allowed to be ON the show? Don't they have to be able to do this is a relatively healthy manner? If Bob "allows" Ron to not push I men, what's the point? His poor son too. Maybe they are hoping his knee will get better as he loses?

I think it was BS that Helen stayed too. She knows she can do it so maybe she offered her daughter some big bucks??

I am a Tara fan. I also love the purple team! It was a good show tonight.

Tetra
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh my goodness, Shanon's derby name Flower Power was one of the funniest moments on The Biggest Loser. Second only to her home interview with the prominent bag of flour in her kitchen. Hah!!!

sportmom
02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
LOL Tetra! Yeah, the whole nite as they weighed in, I was telling my dd, well, Shanon's going home bc she's got to get arrested for fighting right about now. She couldn't figure out how I knew pink was going to be on the bottom and Shanon would leave, so I had to explain about how in Jan she was arrested and this was shot in October/November so she needed to get home so she could be in the news. It's weird, isn't it?

ennay
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
hah! I forgot about her getting arrested

I have to say there is really no one left that I really WANT to send home. I mean yeah some of them have been annoying at some time or another, but I will say this season is lacking the ugh factor that the last couple seasons had. I'm sure it will ramp up soon. My guess is they control the good and bad footage to try and suck everyone in and play our feelings.

When it goes to Bob v. Jillian it usually gets meaner.

Tara was annoying me last night and I usually like her. Quit worrying about Laura and worry about yourself! "I cant carry Laura, I cant carry Laura"

Man how anyone remains friends after the show airs is beyond me.

I would say highest on my hit list right now is probably Helen. First for putting herself above her daughter when her daughter CLEARLY needed more help and second because she looked seriously annoyed at Shanon the last 2 weeks when she didnt win the challenge.

hereyago
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Agree with all of you who were disappointed with Helen. Most parents put their kids first, but glad to see that Shanon has done well.

I record the show on the DVR so I can watch it all at once without commercials. Because of that you pick up on things and one was how much time they gave Tara last night. She had an entire 3 minutes focused on her with Jillian when she needed 5 seconds to rest. Not to mention all of the other minutes (at least 4 different times if not more) where she was being interviewed and harped on Laura.

Really loved how everyone "helped" Ron in the key challenge. I know that there are a lot of questions as to why is he on the show if he can't work out and why when he has had gastric bypass. But really felt good about how everyone was sincerely trying to help him. What a change from last season.

I hope that Mike does well and like Kristen as well. The ones that crack me up are the Blue team, and think they will go far because of their attitude and how much weight they have left to lose.

saef
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
The Pink Team needs to be kept away from the peroxide. I find it really troubling when mother/daughter teams have nearly identical hairstyles. I, too, want Helen to go because of her grating nasal voice & her passive/aggressive style.

The Yellow Team may not be long for the ranch, either. Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking.

Why do I find the female teams so much more annoying than the male teams? I feel guilty about this. Like a supervisor being harder on her female employees than the male because of some vague competitive feeling going on.

I'm still a fan of Tara, but I think she's cracking under the pressure of walking around with a big bull's-eye on her back. She's the team member most likely to be voted off the minute she slips up.

They seem to be going to the bigger teams just when it could keep certain protagonists on the show safe while their other team member goes home. The splitup will clearly help Brown, Green & maybe Purple, though I do like that Purple Mom, with her dedication to yoga & her own sobriety. Also I think her "skunk" highlights are more subtle than her daughter Kristin's.

This is what it takes to make a Biggest Loser heroine for me: A chest voice (not a nasal voice), decent highlights, an inherent niceness & a willingness to work hard & talk as little as possible about one's kids/family at home.

4me4mygirls
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Saef, that is HILARIOUS!

Helen reminds me so much of my MIL that it is scary! Last night, when she put herself before her daughter my DH actually said, "Yep, she is exactly like my mom."

That passive-aggressivenes bugs the heck out of me!!!

I also abhor the skunk highlights.

So is everyone assuming Blane didn't lose his usual double digits due to water loading last night?

MariaMaria
02-18-2009, 02:39 PM
What I got from all the Tara footage was the idea that she felt she had to carry Laura until Laura totally "got it" or totally bought in--not that she was saying it would be a permanent thing. Tara's "I hope she lost more than me" at weigh-in kind of speaks to this.

This is what it takes to make a Biggest Loser heroine for me: A chest voice (not a nasal voice), decent highlights, an inherent niceness & a willingness to work hard & talk as little as possible about one's kids/family at home.

For me, take out the highlights and sub in good eyebrows.

sportmom
02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Hmm, on the timing thing and editing the show last week, is it too early to know that Tara is one of the finalists? They're all back home now and the final 4 should be identified. I wonder if it's like when Alli started getting alot of time about her mom issues and then the gruesome 4some from last season plus Michelle's mom issues. Have we noticed a trend of them wanting us to build relationships with the ultimate winners so that we care, buy the products, etc?

saef
02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Absolutely, sportmom. I saw they tried really hard with Vicky toward the end of last season. They played the "for my kids" card over & over. But the damage had already been done by our witnessing her behavior throughout the season. Who was going to buy anything Vicky endorsed? That was a great big "save" of NBC's butt when Heba & Vicky failed to triumph.

What I worry about for Tara is a potential "Blonde Envy" factor. I think Coleen (of Coleen & Jerry last season) may have been a victim of this. I liked her quite well & I thought she was going to make it all the way, given the amount of time they got, but she didn't.