LA Weight Loss - YOU: On a Diet - January fresh start

BfL_Cat
01-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Ok, so who's still here to talk to me about YOAD? DH and I will be starting back on plan (taking a big YOU-turn) tomorrow, and I wondering if anyone else will be following it?

Time to look at the stickies up top and refresh myself on the foods I can buy. Time to start reading labels again!

Anyone else? Patti, Kim - you guys still around?
Cindy

Iwanawurkit
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Cindy....I am still around and have started back on YOAD full force. I still need to get my butt moving.
Kim

forme01
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey Cindy and Kim~
I received YOU for Christmas last year...but only thought it might be something that could work last week. :( I'm scanning it more than reading it, but would love to peep in and learn how it's working for you guys...I'll be around.
Best of success to you both.

mrzrich
01-16-2009, 06:47 AM
I'd like to join in here, I'm new to YOAD and cold use all the help I can get.

ArchRaw
01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Hello all, I just started YOAD last Saturday and am ending my first week. The first week has been great, not hungry at all and feel great after just one week.

forme01
01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey there mrzrich and ArchRaw~Welcome. I was beginning to think I was in this on my own. (Actually, I use the boards at RealAge too. ;)) I'm ending my second week and have had some pleasant results. My "official" weigh in is tomorrow, but since I couldn't stand the suspense, I checked in this morning. 6.6 lbs and 3 waist inches have left the building!!! WOOHOO! I received the book LAST Christmas, but after seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah last week, I was inspired. I don't follow the program to the letter...and it's been wonderful. (Most anything you apply works.) I wish you both much success. Check in regularly and let us know how you're progressing.

ArchRaw
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Hello forme01, I will have to check out the boards at Realage that you pointed out. I just finished my first week thyis morning and measured my gut. Seems to be working, it is 2" smaller, but I have a big gut so that is a great start. I bought the book a couple of months ago and just finaly got around to reading it. I read the back part first, cleared out the kitchen then when shopping. I just finished reading the entire book this week. This actualy doesn't feel much like a diet at all.

Iwanawurkit
01-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey all! It's been really crazy at work so I haven't had the opportunity to post. I take way too many YOU turns but I have to get down to business since my daughter is getting married on May 9th. It's really good to see some fresh new faces. You guys may be the key to get me back where I need to be. Keep on posting!

forme01
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Hello everyone!
Congratulations ArchRaw on the 2". Progress is progress! I've got a long way to go myself. I agree that it doesn't feel like a diet. I read (and reread)the book in sections. Continue in good choices, and you'll be posting success regularly! :)
You've got some success under your belt iwana~ Way to go! The wedding will be a great motivator. You can do this!
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

BfL_Cat
01-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you guys are doing great so far! Any food challenges that you've run across? Doing ok with eliminating the HFCS?
Cindy

ArchRaw
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey Bfl, I have been avoiding the HFCS. I haven't had any problems with that. So far I like this plan, eating the 5-6 times a day I don't seem to be getting any cravings like I used to. Just have to keep at it and on track.

forme01
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I haven't eliminated HFCS...but I do limit it.
Personally, this is one of the best programs I've tried. I'm at the middle of week three, and amazingly still well motivated. The message boards help immensely.
Thanks for continuing to post!

BfL_Cat
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, the YOU: plan is pretty easy to stick with - the foods are filling and satifying, so you don't find yourself hungry or craving stuff you shouldn't eat.

I'm still struggling with trying to get myself back on track - there is still too much garbage in the house from the holidays and my DH keeps bringing in more!
Cindy

ArchRaw
01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Well tomorrow is my next measurment day. This will be my second week and I have stuck pretty much on plan the entire time. the only thing I have changed is instead of a 30min walk I use the stationary bike I just got for atleast 30min each day. It is windy and -20 out this time of year and I get a much harder workout on my bike than walking anyway.

Seralaphina
01-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I started this a little over a week ago and I am doing better than I thought I would do.
Now if I could just get the rest of the family to eat better.

forme01
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Bfl~ I have a designated area for "my" food, and the rest of my family's is elsewhere (like Seralaphina, my family isn't on board). Maybe you can ask hubby to put his stash in a place less visible/tempting to you.
Wishing you well on measurement ArchRaw...tomorrow is my check in day too. It's week three for me. I peek, so I'm not expecting much change, but I'd love to be surprised. I only began exercising this week (could that be why the scale stopped moving??:() so I was anticipating some loss.
I'll be here with the news tomorrow. Hope all have a great day!

ArchRaw
01-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Finished the second week, still going pretty good. Looks like my gut dropped about 3 inches un the first two weeks. I know from now on it will go alot slower but it is a good start anyway.

Hope your check goes well forme01

Iwanawurkit
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I hear ya Cindy.......way too much temptation in the house. DH is going to try to help by losing weight too. It would be so much easier if we all ate the same way. I can't seem to eat enough....and that slows my progress. I get so busy at work and just forget. Maybe I need to set an alarm on my phone to remind me when to eat? Just thought of that so maybe I will get that issue taken care of.
Hang in there and everyone is doing well.

forme01
01-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Congratulations ArchRaw...3 inches is impressive!
Not so for me. I'm up .6 lbs from last week, which considering I was off program yesterday...could have been worse. I'm back on track this morning, looking forward to next Saturday. (Did I just write that???) Maybe more than my habits are changing! (I can only hope!)
Iwana~ I'm undereating too...started journaling this morning to see where I am in actual consumption. Somewhere I read that YOAD says to eat every 3 hours...sometimes it's not feasible...othertimes, I'm not hungry. (All the foodstores I carry...:()
Here's to a wonderful weekend, and a great next week!

forme01
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Just checking in...hope everyone had a great weekend.

ArchRaw
01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey forme01, I hope everyone had a great weekend as well. The weekends were always hard when trying to lose weight before. But I must say that as advertised in the book this eating plan keeps me from having cravings. So far it feels pretty natural to follow.

The food choices are great too. I made the Spicy Turkey Chilli a couple of times now along with a couple of the soups. I seem to keep full the entire day and after the first two weeks I have been shrinking so this is working out pretty good.

Here goes week three.

forme01
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
ArchRaw~
GREAT going on continuing with the good choices! I too used to have a rough time on the weekends....personally, I look at it as a decision. Whether or not I feel like it (like exercising this morning..UGH!) I make the choice.
I've found from the past that I can't always trust how I feel!
I haven't tried any recipes from the book yet...I followed the guidelines for the soup, but added venison. I'm not a veggie fan...so meat makes it more tolerable.
Congratulations on the shrinking! Naturally, things aren't moving fast enough for me, but I'm down 6# since I began on Jan 5. Almost 3" from my waist...no big changes in my clothes...evidently I was wearing them tighter than I realized. :(!!!
I'm beginning week four...we can do this!

ArchRaw
01-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I know what you mean about the veggies. I haven't been a big veggie lover through my life either. I have been grilling chicken on the BBQ to go in the veggie soup. I also have been using chicken broth.

BfL_Cat
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I think I'm going to jump on the soup bandwagon - the RealAge site just had a blurb about soup eaters losing more weight than non-soup eaters. Plus, that would be a way to sneak some more veggies into DH's diet. He would ea *no* fruits or veggies if he had his way. I can't even get him to eat grapes or bananas! Not that those are the healthiest choices, but at least it would be something besides meat and pasta/rice/bread!

I'm off to find a good cabbage soup recipe. I love the soup that Big Boy restaurants have, but no one has ever spilled their recipe, that I know of. But, that is my benchmark, so I'll be trying some different things. Anyone here have a good cabbage soup recipe?

Congrats on the weight and inches lost so far - slow is still moving forward, which is always a good thing!
Cindy

forme01
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello there...
Hope everyone's enjoying their week. Bfl..the soup does help people fill full...the veggies are harmless. :) I alsou found out that adding jalepenos helps make most vegetables more tolerable.

Ya learn something every day!

ArchRaw
01-30-2009, 08:48 AM
TGIF, almost through the third week. I hope everyone had a great week and are ready for the weekend again. Tomorrow is my check day so I will be back with the results. I have still stuck to plan, just missed the exercise 2 days this week due to stupid busy work days. Still stuck to the eating plan though. I even had a night out this week at a dinner theatre, I was a little woried about that, but they had all kinds of veggies and Salmon so I had that.

I will be checking back in tomorrow. Take Care.

JessWagz
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
ok so i cant dump my fridge because my father doesn't thing we need to change everything just portion control but my only problem is i have a really bad habit of waiting until i am totally starving to eat, and honestly in the last 12 months the only time we have sat down to eat together was Thanksgiving and Christmas so i could use some help

thanks Jess

ArchRaw
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey Jess, Welcome. I like you can't empty the fridge because I have a room mate. So I have a portion of the fridge that is mine and my own cuboards. Also like you, in the past I always ate only when I got realy hungry or had cravings when I wasn't hungry at all. The YOAD plan has been the first one where I have been this motivated after 3 weeks of being on a plan. My cravings have gone away and I eat 5-6 times a day and don't seem to ever get any omre that a little hungry.

I use the You on A Diet: The Owners Manual For Waist Management. I Skipped to Part 4: The YOU Diet and Activity Plan right away and then read the rest of the book while I was already on the plan. Reading the entire book realy helps you understand why you are doing what you are doing and why it works. Which in my case has realy helped to motivate me to keep on track. I would recommend to anyone to read the entire book. For some reason having a better understanding of how the body works and how and why we crave food has made me want to take better care of myself.

I will be back to check in tomorrow, hope every one had a great week.

dutchgirl
01-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi everybody,
I am not exactly new to dieting, , I "dieted" my way up to 232 lbs, but I discovered YOAD through you all last night, went straight to the Real Age website and I am quite enthousiastic over what I have read there.
So THANKS all:D
I have been calorie counting the last couple of weeks, but I am finding myself rather obsessively thinking about food, calories etc.
I am now making a plan and starting YOAD tomorrow. I will still need to get hold of the book, but that will just take a few days and I have enough information to get started with.
Any suggestions VERYwelcome

ArchRaw
01-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Did my check in today. My waist is down another inch so that is pretty good. I don't know if I trust the scale or not, after 3 weeks it says I have dropped 23lbs, not sure how that is possible, I have been eating a fair amount on this plan. I imaging that the scale will slow down at some point but I am not complaining I guess.

And Welcome dutchgirl, I hope you like YOAD as much as I have. The great thing is that you don't count calories at all on this, you just listen to your body, and if you follow the eating plan the cravings seem to go away. The nuts really seem to help alot.

Iwanawurkit
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
We were without electricity beginning on Tuesday and it wasn't restored until yesterday afternoon. I was so bad that I gained 4 pounds. Is that crazy? Had to throw out everything in the fridge and freezer so I only brought in YOAD food. I bought a big bag of coleslaw mix and I plan to use that in my soup. Everyone is doing so well! I am excitied!!!!

ArchRaw
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Coleslaw mix for your soup, that is a good idea. I just chopped up a bunch of cabage for my batch of soup this week, the coleslaw mix sounds like a great idea.

forme01
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
OMG Arch...23 lbs! That is FABULOUS! I watch The Biggest Loser, and am amazed by their double digit losses weeks in a row... of course I can't imagine working out all day with Jillian either..
Welcome Jess...we're small, but consistent. I wish you every success!
There's nothing like a power failure to motivate you to cleanse and purge the fridge...For us it's hurricanes, but I feel for you guys...The coleslaw mix will definitely be a timesaver...
Didn't check in this weekend because my mom was visiting and dh and I worked on pulling walls down yesterday (termite damage :() That's what you get when you live below sea level though... I took my mom out for Chinese on Friday and Saturday's weigh in showed a gain. I ignored it because I knew it was the sodium. I threw my hip out Sat am hula hooping with my son on the Wii...so I walked instead of doing Jillians 30 day shred. Yesterday I sort of rested...but did take the stairs when I went to visit my neighbor in the hospital. This morning I weighed in and I'm showing a 10 lb loss since Jan 5. WOOHOO> I'm down about another half inch in my waist (three and a half so far)...and be it my imagination or not...I certainly feel better.
I appreciate all of you helping to keep me on track!
Have a great day...and let's make this a wonderful week!

ArchRaw
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I can't believe it is February already. Let's all get er done this year. Let's make this coming summer an activity filled one with better health and great food!!

forme01
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Amen Arch!
Hope all are continuing in choices that will make us YOUthful! A fun summer IS a great goal!

Iwanawurkit
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Crazy with month end close at work but at least my food is where it needs to be. Kinda helps I threw out the bad stuff from the power outage and brought in YOAD approved food.

forme01
02-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Great decision Iwana!
Make each choice count. Hoping all are finding purpose and joy in your day!

BfL_Cat
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi gals - I'm going to close this thread and start a February one - sorry I'm late in doing so!
Cindy