Exercise! - Cool Runners -- January Thread!

View Full Version : Cool Runners -- January Thread!

JulieJ08
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I hope it's OK if I start this! Second day into the New Year, and I need a place to post :)

So, what are your running goals for 2009?

I finally had a real run again this morning :). 3 miles. I came down sick last Friday, and hadn't exercised except walking 30 minutes on Tuesday and jogging 1.5 miles Wednesday.

I'm excited about the New Year of running. Currently I run 3 miles M-W-F:

My goals are to work up to 5 miles; and maybe even 10 on a long day, by 1/1/2010. Improve my pace from 12:20 to ... I don't know what's reasonable to expect, but at least 10:00 I hope. I'd also like to add a 4th day of running. Baby steps! Oh, and run my first official 5K (and run as many of EZ's 5Ks as he'll throw at us :)) I'm really liking marking all the big holidays with a run.

TwynnB
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I was starting to get myself worked up to a half marathon, but I just can't run far on a treadmill! (and I'm not crazy enough to go in the snow....)

So.....my goal is a half marathon. My SIL does the jog five min/walk one min any longer distances, so I might try that method too.

My original pace was close to 12 min miles, and I'm down to mostly 10 min miles! Maybe I can try to maintain that with the distance...

JackieRn
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Completing a half marathon is my goal too. I'm nervous about races and have yet to do any. I have this fear that I'll train hard get injured and won't be able to run thus crushing any resolve for future attempts. I've had my fair share of running injuries. However, I've decided that if the worst happens and I get injured I'll show up anyway and cheer on the other racers.

I did 6.7 miles today, the weather was great. I find that 30-35 deg F is my preferred winter running temp range.

jamsk8r
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello ladies! I used to post on this thread, but it's been a while. I've been jogging 2-3 miles a few days a week, but I need to kick it up a notch. I've got a 12K I want to do this summer, that has some killer hills, and I haven't done hills at all, except jogging/pushing the scooter up hills when I run my dogs. I also need to up my pace if I don't want every walker in the 12K to kick my butt, lol. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

My first priority is to get some pants or tights that are good for running in cold weather. We're in the freezy teens to 30s (F) temp zone right now, and I need something warmer than what I have. Anybody have suggestions for winter running wear, especially pants or running tights?

Anyway, just wanted to re-intro myself. :)

JackieRn
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Hello ladies! I used to post on this thread, but it's been a while. I've been jogging 2-3 miles a few days a week, but I need to kick it up a notch. I've got a 12K I want to do this summer, that has some killer hills, and I haven't done hills at all, except jogging/pushing the scooter up hills when I run my dogs. I also need to up my pace if I don't want every walker in the 12K to kick my butt, lol. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

My first priority is to get some pants or tights that are good for running in cold weather. We're in the freezy teens to 30s (F) temp zone right now, and I need something warmer than what I have. Anybody have suggestions for winter running wear, especially pants or running tights?

Anyway, just wanted to re-intro myself. :)

Hi

I got my running tights, gloves, at my local running store they are HIND brand, my tops are Brooks it all works pretty well. I also wear under armour on teen temp days and a Balaclava. Also make sure you also get the proper running socks, kinda expensive but save you on blisters and keep you warmer. A local running store close by is worth checking out b/c the staff is usually pretty knowledgeable on appropriate gear.

RaluCat
01-04-2009, 03:05 AM
A good friend "made me" sign-up for a 5.3k race on March 15th (I know, 5.3 looks strange, but it's the St. Patrick's Dash, it can't be a "pure" 5k). So we're starting tomorrow. My pace and endurance are horrible - 2 miles in 22 min... - but I'll see in a month what should be my goal for March... Maybe something under 40 min. I haven't run since June, and I'll also need to start dieting, as my "best bet" in trying to improve my pace and endurance is losing some weight.
I hope all of us will do well with their goals :)

JackieRn
01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
A good friend "made me" sign-up for a 5.3k race on March 15th (I know, 5.3 looks strange, but it's the St. Patrick's Dash, it can't be a "pure" 5k). So we're starting tomorrow. My pace and endurance are horrible - 2 miles in 22 min... - but I'll see in a month what should be my goal for March... Maybe something under 40 min. I haven't run since June, and I'll also need to start dieting, as my "best bet" in trying to improve my pace and endurance is losing some weight.
I hope all of us will do well with their goals :)

Your pace is not horrible that is an awesome starting place and there is time for you to improve. I started out a lot slower than that and have seen a lot of improvement with consistent training. Good Luck.

jamsk8r
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Jackie, thanks. I will check out the Hind brand and also the running store when I go shopping for the pants.

Ralu, my sister, nephew and I ran that one last year, if you mean the one in Seattle. Just to warn you, they have no drinking water along the route, so you'll need to carry your own. I'd also recommend just carrying a fanny pack, a banana and maybe a granola bar or sandwich, because the free food at the end was mostly chips and junk, but the starbucks sampler was nice! Be sure to wear your green, and some funky costume accessories...everybody does, and it's fun that way. I'm skipping that one this year, since I live in Tacoma, but I'm going to hit some local 5Ks, then the Sound to Narrows 12K this summer. Hope you enjoy your 5K!

I ran a mile yesterday, or two halves, rather, as part of my crossfit workout. I'm keeping the runs short for now, till I get some warmer clothes and can take it outdoors. :brr:

RaluCat
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Jackie, Cheryl, thank you for the support and the good advice.
Cheryl, thanks for letting me know about the water. Drinking while running is very important for me, so I'll practice running with a small bottle (I did that before for short distances).
Jackie, what disappoints me most about my pace is that I got to 2 miles in 22 min pretty quickly - less than 6 weeks - but then I got stuck there for more that 2 months, and that combined with a new busy job led me to giving up running in June... So my pace is mostly horrible because it just STAYS THERE. Just running isn't enough for me, I also have to lose weight to get better times.

JulieJ08
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Jackie, what disappoints me most about my pace is that I got to 2 miles in 22 min pretty quickly - less than 6 weeks - but then I got stuck there for more that 2 months, and that combined with a new busy job led me to giving up running in June... So my pace is mostly horrible because it just STAYS THERE. Just running isn't enough for me, I also have to lose weight to get better times.

RaluCat, have you tried running any intervals? That improved my pace pretty quickly, and I was only doing very moderate intervals.

TwynnB
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Jamsk8r - go to sierratradingpost.com, make sure you sign up for their dealflyer. Between them and Ross, I bought all my exercise clothes there.

I ran outside yesterday (WoooOOO!), it was 32 degrees. Started off with gloves, took them off eventually. Had on long pants, a jogging top, long sleeve shirt, then my (thin) jacket. All my clothes are wicking, I can't stand cotton anymore. I was a bit warm by then end of the run (6 miles), but not bad. (I was surprised how much I liked it in the cold!!).

Anyhoo, sierra is AWESOME. I've bought a bunch of short sleeve hinds, for CHEAP. Running shorts too, all good quality. The comments are beyond valuable.

Good luck!

MBN
01-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi! I'm trying to catch up after the holidays ... I got a little running in, but not nearly enough to burn off all of the pie!! (and cookies, and Christmas candy, and ahem, adult beverages)

My goals this year are to maintain my running training program, which seems to be working pretty well. I'd like to break 2 hours in a half marathon, and break 26 minutes in a 5K. My ultimate dream goal is to do a 5K at an under-8 minute pace (under 24:48), but I don't know if that is even possible. But, who knows? I'll keep trying!

RaluCat -- an 11 min/mile pace is NOT horrible!! There are lots of people who do whole marathons at 12 min/mile or slower. You burn just as many calories going that mile, whether you do it at 12 min/mile, or 9 min/mile. It just takes a little longer, that's all. What helped me get faster involved a combination of factors: losing weight, going longer distances, strength training, and doing speed intervals. All of those things together helped, but it does take time and consistent effort. Improvement often isn't linear either ... you seem to plateau for a long time, and then all of a sudden - poof! - you're faster. I can't explain it, but that's how it works for me. And even now, I have my days when I struggle, and days when everything just clicks and feels wonderful. I think that's just how it is.

Happy running!

willow650
01-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I hope it's OK if I start this! Second day into the New Year, and I need a place to post :)

So, what are your running goals for 2009?

I am training to run a 5k doing the Couch to 5K program. The program goes a little faster than I can so I am repeating week 2 this week. I will be participating in a 5k on the 17th. My goal this year is to actually be able to run a whole 5K

JackieRn
01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Jackie, Cheryl, thank you for the support and the good advice.
Cheryl, thanks for letting me know about the water. Drinking while running is very important for me, so I'll practice running with a small bottle (I did that before for short distances).

Your busy life makes your pace look even better. Considering that this is a lifestyle change 2 months is a very short time, you have the rest of your life to lose those extra pounds and increase your speed. I really think you are going to do well b/c you're at a very good pace right now and seem very aware what you need to improve your performance. Good for you.

MBN: I have the same goal of a sub 8 min/mil pace for a 5k, I have to believe its possible. I'm hoping as the weather improves and I stay consistent with hill workouts and speed work that by the fall, I'll achieve this goal. I hope you reach your goal.

JulieJ08
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
3 miles. Ah, my poor fingertips - I forgot my gloves.

Had a first today - on my return half, say 5:45 am, there was a very strong aroma of someone baking brownies! Crazy :)

shananigans
01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello, another re-joiner here. I re-gained weight last year and haven't done any races since last spring, so I decided to kick my butt into gear and signed up for a half-marathon on 5/24. I'll probably only be able to run outside on the weekends when I can run during daylight and weather permits (I don't run outside in the dark when I need to see the surface I'm running on to avoid snow/ice obstacles). I have a lot of treadmill miles to look forward to. (sooooo cold here right now!) Right now I'm doing 3 - 3.5 mile runs every other day (with elliptical or other cross-training cardio on non-running days), 10 - 11 min/mile pace. I'm going to be on vacation next week, hope I can get a little running in but I plan to get most of my exercise swimming in the warm ocean and strolling the beach. When I get back I'm going to start my "pre-training" schedule. I'm planning on doing this (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml) training schedule, hope I can keep up with running 5 days a week! I'll start week 1 the beginning of March.

JackieRn
01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Today is a single digit temp day (6-9 deg F) and I'm a little scared to go out there.I'm trying to work up the courage to do my run and I'm too stubborn to even attempt the treadmill, as crazy as that seems.

MBN
01-14-2009, 07:53 AM
It's going to be hard to keep up with both this thread and the "1000 miles this year" thread too!! I totally respect you cold-weather runners -- I'm not sure if I could do it! When visiting relatives in Indiana over the holidays, I did one 5 mile run in 29 degree temps -- and there were parts of me that never did get warm. I can't even contemplate single digits.

We are still right in the middle of prime running race season here. I've got a 10K this Saturday and another half marathon a week from Sunday. I've almost lost the extra pie-pounds from the holidays, so hopefully I'll be back up to optimal optimal running form. We'll see how the 10K goes!

Happy running ....

Stephanie Osborne
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone, mind if I join in?

My current goal is to be able to run a 5k (without walking) by this summer. I started out doing the c25k program. The leap from 3 to 5 minutes of running however seemed daunting to me at the time so I have since gone off the program. I have been doing my own blend of the program.

Basically I just stretch and warm up for 5 minutes then see how long I can run... I walk 3 minutes then run at least 5, repeat, cooldown, stretch and voila! To my pleasant surprise the other night I ran for 8 minutes on my first running interval. I'm now **** bent on making that 10!

I think the problem I was initially having with running that that I did it so sporadically. I wouldn't run for like a week then I would think I could just magically pick up where I left. With the addition of new running shoes, thorlos, an ipod & nike+ sensor I am now proud to say that I am a lifer. I look forward to my runs. Im motivated and determined. I make time for them.

I look forward to talking with you ladies and soaking up all the tips and pointers I can, sharing in successes etc...

JulieJ08
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Nice runs Monday and today :) I think my pace is improving quite a bit. I am, however, starting to have some pain in the ball of my left foot, toward the outside, at the end of my run. It's not as bad as last week, so I'm hopeful. I'm bad, I run mostly on sidewalk, I have to plan a route to keep me on the asphalt.

shananigans
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Great to see some other runners here!

JackieRn - You are brave for going out in single digit temps! I won't even try it unless it's at least in the teens. I hate the treadmill, but I hate the cold more. :p The high tomorrow is supposed to be -7, if I had my way I wouldn't even leave the house.

MBN - Good luck with your upcoming races!

Stephanie - Sounds like you're doing great with c25k, and you've got some great sounding gear. I remember the first time I had a 20 min run interval I thought "no way" but somehow I managed. That was huge. Consistency with the training schedule and breathing really does help. ;)

JulieJ08 - Take good care of those feet. I run on sidewalk mostly as well (when I get to run outside that is). It's not so great on the joints, but I run in the wee hours of the morning or after work in the late evening and usually have my dog with me, so for safety's sake I have to stay out of the road. I wear a light and reflectors, but you can't trust everyone will see you. I absolutely love trail running by the lake or in the woods, but that's pretty much limited to weekend runs in the warmer months.

I did about a 32 min 5k this morning on the treadmill, so I'm getting closer to my pre-hiatus pace. The last mile was tough, my legs are tired! Must have been all those deep warrior poses in yoga class last night, I was feeling the burn in those thighs for sure!

RaluCat
01-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm so happy to be on this thread again and I come with good news. Since the last time I posted - almost 2 weeks ago, I have already done almost 17 miles! I was saying that last year in June my pace was 2 miles in 22 min (all running). I never measured my pace for the first mile, because my "mini-goal" had been to run for 2 full miles.

Now my goal is to run a 5k, so 3 times a week I do my 3.2 miles and then some for "cool-down". I'm doing intervals of run (5.3-5.7 mph) - walk at 4mph, borrowing a lot from the c25k program, which did wonders for me last year.

Maybe it's the eagerness of the beginner, but I would like to add 2 more days of gym to the 3 days of running. What do you think would be the best cross-training? I kinda like weight lifting, but it's too boring to do more than 20-25 min. What else would help my running and maybe help me lose a little more wight - to help me run better faster :)?

MBN
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
RaluCat -- a well-rounded exercise program works cardio, strength training including core, flexibility and balance. You're getting cardio through running already. For the rest, it depends on what you like and what is available to you. Pilates is great for working the core. Yoga works flexibility, balance, and strength. Pushing weights increases strength. Adding more activity will help your weight loss and being more fit (and lighter!) absolutely does help you get faster. I also firmly believe that a good cross training program helps prevent injury.

I'm personally not a big fan of the weight machines, I think they're boring and work muscles too much in isolation. I prefer the more functional movements that free weights offer, and I like the camaraderie of the class environment, so I tend to do that. I also like to mix things up, and not get too much in a rut.

So maybe, just try out some different things and see what you enjoy most? If you like it, then you will stick with it. But, I would look for something that works strength, core, and flexibility (stretching) to balance out the running.

Hermit Girl
01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Oooh, I can't believe I'm on a runners' thread. THis is so exciting. I've always been athletic to some degree since my mid twenties, but I just haven't even considered running for years. I saw a cute movie the other night, about miracles and a boy, and it was all about him training for a marathon. That is what made me think "why not run?" So what if I'm in the middle aged bracket, doesn't matter. On Jan 14th I found a fun runner forum and I've been posting in the beginners hangout, and getting lots of encouragement. I have been advised to start with 1-minute intervals (run/walking for 20 minutes pretty much), and so that's what I'm doing. I'm running between rows of a vineyard that I normally walk past on my hour's hike with doggo almost every day. Now I'm just clocking myself for a few rows... and I've not felt this good in my head for 10 years, I swear. The usual soreness I wake up from , oh, the hike I do daily, one added task I did out of my routine the day before, just life, and most likely the 50 pounds I'm lagging around every minute (no wonder I love the computer, it's the only rest I get from lugging it around)

Anyway, here I am , :: chants "I am a runner" :: TRAINING TO RUN ! My goal for January is to be able to run 5-minute intervals between 2 or 3-minute walk intervals, for 20ish minutes. Not sure what my end goal is at this point, but to run about 20 minutes of my hour hike route, in the vineyard, and/or to be able to go out later for a second time, a brief 10 or 15 minute brisk jog. Having the ability in my life to be able to go out for a little run when I"m feeling a little anxious or low, it's the best medicine. I'm hooked, and only two days into this. :D

JulieJ08
01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Welcome, Hermit Girl! You're definitely in tha place where we understand what you're saying about how good running feels!

I did my 3 miles this morning. Ran longer / more intervals than I had before, so I feel good about that.

Shannon in ATL
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi guys -
I've been running since 12/30 - starting off slow, still trying to settle into a good fit with my shoes. Bought them at a running store so they are helping me out. My feet are .5 size different so the right is the right size and the left is half a size big. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy two pairs... The 8 is too big for the left foot, perfect for the right, the 7.5 is perfect for the left, too small for the right... :(

Wednesday night I did 4.5 miles, walked .5, ran 2, walked .5, ran 1, walked the last .5. I'm planning to go again tonight, but it is supposed to be 27 degrees so the motivation is waning... I'm having surgery next week and will be down for a few weeks, so that is sucking my exercise motivation right out the window, too...

I do enjoy the running though! :)

Stephanie Osborne
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
JulieJ08 - Don't you just love those little lingering aches and pains. I always worry I'm going to mess something up by running when something feels a bit off.

Shananigans - I had to laugh at your yoga comment. I do ballet as well as try to become a runner so I can totally relate.

Ralucat - I use the eliptical for cross training, its pretty low impact on the joints.

Hermit Girl - Isn't it wonderful? Congrats on making the choice to become a runner. I find it so cathartic when I'm angry, upset or just need to show myself I can do anything. Welcome to the group...

shannon in atl - wow 27 degrees? Hmmm I don't know if I could be THAT motivated!

As for me...

Last night I ran longer than I ever have. I got to my previous point and just decided I was going to go for it. I finally broke into the 11 minute mile club. Yay... I have to tell you though after doing Ballet on Weds then really pushing it with my run last night my knees are toast lol.

Shannon in ATL
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I made two miles... The temp actually went up to 29 degrees instead of 27, but still... I must have been out of my mind! I did 4.5 miles at my last run, so am mildly disappointed at the 2 today, but I was freezing and had to get in the car! :)

JackieRn
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Steph: you seem to have a good routine going, I started the run/walk thing again in September and was running shortly there after. I also did my own thing, I'm not great with following programs. You are correct, consistency is the key even if sometimes you are more tired than others and find yourself walking more than you did on a previous run. Welcome and good luck to you.

Shananigans: I chickened out, I did treadmill runs on wed and thur and today is my rest day. I think I will do another TM run tomorrow and start afresh for the week on Sunday with a long run outside. Its supposed to be in the 20's and I can handle that.

Pink Geranium
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi Everybody, I've just now had a chance to catch up. Holidays, visits, etc., really occupied my time and my mind! Now it's back to more normal and I can think again.

Running has been tough around here - temperatures lower than normal, in the 20's and below, and snow and ice every other day, it seems. So I've been swimming more and doing classes at the fitness center, and running on the treadmill there too. Just trying to keep in shape.

We did do a 5K on New Year's day. Cold - 22 degrees - but sunny. I have learned that with my asthma, it is best on these cold days to start off slowly and then as my lungs warm up (and my legs creak into action) I can go a bit faster. I felt great at the end! It was a "stadium finish" and lots of fun. My time was not great for me, but not bad, and I was really happy because I managed the race better than some of my earlier runs this winter and did not have trouble breathing. Plus lots of hot chocolate, and other nice food. They treated us well.

We have also been doing Sunday runs with a local running club in a state park near us. Each week they have an event. It's been fun to run in a group like that, it pushes me to work harder when I know I'm being timed, even though it's not really a "race". And once again, nice refreshments!

This last week I was out of all exercise with a really bad cold, but back in fighting form again now. I hope the weather will let me run outside some soon (it was snowing today, sigh...) On the other hand, I've gotten to some classes I have been missing, such as step, which I really like doing. Everything has its time of year!

Happy 2009!

JulieJ08
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I had a good run this morning. Got in a wee bit more intervals time (progress!), worked a little harder. And no pains :)

Thighs Be Gone
01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Just did my straight jog this morning. It was a weebit warmer than it has been the last few days but still windy. I only passed one other jogger this morning and one bicyclist. Maybe the holiday kept everyone in bed. I need to post here more frequently as running is my exercise of choice. I go every morning. I usually try to alternate straight jogging with intervals. I know it sounds lazy but I really do enjoy jogging so much more than the intervals. I have been stepping up on my times though so my jog isn't as slow as it was. I would like to train for a 1/2 marathon this year. I haven't run a 5K formally yet, but typically run one every morning.

MBN
01-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Got some nice mileage in over the long weekend, plus I ran my 10K on Saturday. I totally rocked the 10K -- posted a PR of 55:42, a pace of 8:58. I was really happy to break into a sub-9-minute pace (barely!) It was also good enough for 2nd in my age group so I got a nice trophy too. A PR and hardware!!

Next up is a half-marathon on Sunday. This is THE big event around here - the Miami Marathon. They are expecting 15,000 participants, so it's quite the deal. The course is spectacular, and it's a really fun race. So I'll be tapering this week .... one more run and lots of cross-training before Sunday.

Stephanie Osborne
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
shannon - I consider even 2 miles in 29 degree weather a victory lol. I know what you mean though when you feel like you've done less than your capable of. Just go back out and prove to yourself you can do it!

JackieRN - You girls are my heros lol. I do TM running and sometimes on an indoor track. Outside is far to chilly for me lol. Even with all this natural padding lol.

Pink Geranium - I know exactly what you mean about your legs "creeking into action" Mine are the same way... I always feel rigid and like running isn't going to be a good idea till they warm up. I've never thought about running in a group there is one here in town maybe I should look into it!

JulieJ08 - Good job on the progress and yay on not being sore. Although sometimes a little sore makes you feel proud.

Thighs Be Gone - Thats awesome that you run every morning. What a great way to start the day. I would love to get to this point...

MBN - Congrats on placing second I am officially drooling at your pace.. Nice job girly!

As for me...

Went to the rec last night. Added another minute to my longest interval. My pace improved and my last interval I ramped up the speed from 5 to 5.8 (I'm a little girl with little legs so this FAST lol). It felt really good. I love it when I run really hard and afterwards my lungs feel like they hold so much air! I am sore today though! I think I may have a sinus infection so no running tonight unfortunately.