Atkins - Food on the road?

View Full Version : Food on the road?

mandi78
01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Does anyone have any ideas besides tuna/chicken salad that I can take on the road with me? I work in home health so I need some ideas for stuff that can be kept in a cooler and eaten cold (as there is no microwave in my car....LOL) and I'm tired of tuna salad and chicken salad. I prefer stuff I can eat with my hands and I've gotten pretty good with stuff I can eat with a spoon (while driving....I know, I'm bad) but I can't really eat with a fork and drive. Most days I don't have time or don't take the time to actually stop and eat. Any ideas? Low carb, Atkins friendly type ideas please. Thanks.

sweetshauna
01-02-2009, 04:06 AM
egg salad
deviled eggs
grilled chicken breast strips
string cheese
cucumber sticks

and if you are on OWL, the possibilities are endless...

furthermore, 90% of things you eat with a fork can be eaten with a spoon

Sorry that's all I can think of... but not to worry, the experts will soon come to the rescue.

Good luck!!

JerseyGyrl
01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Hard Boiled Eggs
Cheddar Cheese Cubes
Green Bean "Fries"
Crispy Cheese Crackers
Pepperoni Chips
Fruitless Fruit Leather
Skillet Pizza

If you're willing to prepare things ahead...there are lots of possibilities:)

Beautiful Ace
01-02-2009, 08:44 AM
ohhhh, cooked green beans with a fresh lemon, olive oil, dash of salt, and fresh smooshed garglic dressing. FANTASTIC cold.

Beautiful Ace
01-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Crap, I didn't notice this was in the atkins forum... Sorry if that doesn't follow your diet rules... lol

mandi78
01-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks gals. Hey Kim, what is Fruitless Fruit Leather?

JerseyGyrl
01-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Fruitless Fruit Leather:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/jerseygyrl8461/fruitless_fruit_leather.jpg

SOOBEE'S FRUITLESS FRUIT LEATHER
1/2 cup cool tap water
3/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid mix, any flavor
5 packets unflavored gelatin

In an 8x8" glass baking dish, mix the water, Splenda and Kool-Aid powder well. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water then stir in. It will be a bit lumpy and not completely blended. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir well. Microwave another minute; stir well. Microwave 30 seconds more and stir. Scrape out onto a 9x13" baking sheet that is lined with nonstick foil (you could also use a silicone baking sheet for this but a nonstick surface it very important). Cool at room temperature 30 minutes. Cut into strips and peel off the foil. Let dry overnight if possible.

I cut mine into 8 pieces going the length of the pan and 2 pieces across the short side to make 16 strips. After they have dried, you can roll them up like little fruit roll-ups and store them in the freezer or refrigerator.

Makes about 8 servings of 2 strips each

With granular Splenda:
Per Batch: 196 Calories; 0g Fat; 30g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 18g Net Carbs
Per Serving: 25 Calories; 0g Fat; 4g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Batch: 124 Calories; 0g Fat; 30g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; trace Net Carbs
Per Serving: 16 Calories; 0g Fat; 4g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; trace Net Carbs