Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Writers and weight

Seeing the resolutions to write, it hit me that maybe there are a lot of similarities between being a writer and working on your weight. I think both generally benefit from regular, steady effort; both are somewhat solitary, self-motivated pursuits; both have the potential for strong emotional or background ties. What do you think, fellow writers?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #2  
No description available.

I agree 100%.

Maybe we should start a writers support thread in General Chatter?

It really is the daily butt-in-chair decision for writing just as much as the daily exercise/food control decision for weight loss. Both require consistency and neither ones are the kinds of dreams that happen by sitting around wishing for them to happen.

Regarding my own efforts, I tend to be successful with one or the other at any given time. Combining weight management and writing consistency is a skill that has eluded me thus far....but this will be my year to do both. I have some positive weight management habits in place.

What do you write?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #3  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

you know what's funny? every year I make a resolution to lose weight. I always fail...usually gain.

so for 2008, my resolution was to write more. I started off well but my writing dropped off in April and that's when I was 260lbs...I joined my gym...and I lost weight this year, finally.

so of course, for 2009 I'm making the same resolution, to write more...
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #4  
Ufi
Persistence

I write a lot of different things: articles, screenplays, short stories. I'm working on what I hope will be my first published novel.

I do like the idea of a writers support thread.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #5  

I'll go start one in general chatter!!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #6  
Surreality

This reminds me of a book I saw on Amazon called the Writing Diet. It looks like there is a real connection between writing and weight loss.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #7  
Ufi
Persistence

I looked it up on Amazon, and it seems to have mixed reviews. The idea of journaling about your eating seems sound, though.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7

The idea for julia cameron's book The Writer's Diet came from the fact that many people who started doing her Artist's Way book and writing 3 morning pages everyday, lost weight. She thinks that most over-eating is linked to stuffed emotions, so that the 3 morning pages is a healthy way to release and process feelings.

So basically her Writer's Diet is writing 3 morning pages which is nothing more than a brain dump and walking everyday.....with a longer walk once a week.

I started the Artists Way in June and dropped 21 lbs......so I am a believer!

best wishes,
thinkerbell aka andrea
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #9  
Ufi
Persistence

Wow! I have it, but I haven't started it. Just been too busy.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #10  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink

Wow... Fate is an ever constant being, making tricky little connections & leaving hints for us to slowly pick up & piece together. I say so because of the irony of me stumbling across this thread. I just recently (like the past few days) have started actually working on my first book. I've always been more of an idea person.. I'd get an interesting idea and write down bits, disjointed & in-sequential in nature. I write down my thoughts & ideas when the moment takes me. I write when I'm motivated or moved to. I've never been good at just sitting down & working on something, & I actually (& finally) started to do just that after 2 years of deliberating & tossing thoughts back & forth on a single story. It's a large puzzle, but if I can word it right, it should come out a masterpiece. At least, I'm hoping so. I'd absolutely love a writers thread on here! I think it would be wonderful to be able to relate to others who are waging war not only with their weight, but with words. How awesome! Please post a reference link if you create one.

Thanks,
Kimmy

Last edited by UrthWurm; 01-04-2009 at 10:47 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #11  

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160127
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

There is the old joke that if someone is funny, then they must have been an overweight child.

I think my struggle with weight has made me a better writer. Having been an overweight child, it put me in a unique perspective as an outsider. I think any time someone is an outsider, it makes for better observation. It gives you something to say.

I guess I maybe should have posted this in the new writer's thread. Oops!
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

Here's a technique for pulling together bits and scraps. Write each one down on a 3-by-5 note card. That way, it is easier to arrange them in order of how they happen in the story and jot down things that happen in between. By the time you're done with the cards, you have a writing outline.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I was a journalist/editor for years... creative personality stuff. Lots of "ideas" but hard to focus on ONE - including the idea of weight for life! Journaling here and in a book helps me to stay focused. Before I saw this thread I was just thinking "if there was a Body for Life" journal for sales, which I do now! Daily goal setting, planning and progress reports - then perhaps I'd move forward rather then circular as us creative folks tend to do. I'll find this writer's thread, interesting...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #15  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I was thinking about the two things I've put off a long time, one is losing weight and the other is my Master's thesis (a writing project!). It's all virgin territory for me. I could probably coach people to lose 100 lbs or write their own thesis or novel, but I can't do it myself. I know how. But when I start it I stop and I think it's that I'm scared.

I'd love to write professionally, I have done two internships at national magazines and had some praise for my writing. I switched out of it because it was competitive and low pay but now that I'm financially secure, I'd like to pursue it again as my next career. Aside from my Master's, I'd like to have other works, like a novel or screenplay written to show when I start pursuing creative work.

Anyways, I am a total go-getter EVERYWHERE except in weight loss and writing. At my internships, I was the buffer & polisher. I had most recognition for my ability to proofread but I rarely submitted any of my own work. Right now I'd say that weight loss and successful writing (both academic and professional) have to be my two strongest desires and they are also the two things I am the least motivated to follow through.

Very thought-provoking.

Also, I'll look for that writer's support group. I'm living a rather isolated existence in Asia right now, I'd love to finish both my thesis and a novel or screenplay by the time I head back to America in 8 months. And reach goal weight.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote