Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Default Calcium

Anyone have any links to articles regarding calcium and weight loss? I just read some where about 1000 to 1200 mgs a day of calcium rich foods helps with weight loss?? I know calcium is good for osteoporosis and I take a supplement but I also saw where you can get too much calcium. I looked it up on Google for .edu sites only and there seems to be a lot of research out there on it.

Last edited by DollyR; 01-01-2009 at 08:13 AM.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #2  
it's always something

Yes, there's a connection. A study at UTK several years ago revealed more fat loss when more low-fat sources of calcium were consumed. It had to come from natural foods - not calcium supplements. (Apparently it's not just the calcium that does it, but a combination of it with something else they've not been able to pinpoint. ) Also, it should come from low fat sources such as yogurt or broccoli and other high calcium plant foods.

You're right, too much calcium can be bad for you. I'm pretty sure the optimal amount was around 1200mg was the optimal amount, which is really what we need anyway. So many people don't meet that requirement anymore, which may well explain part of the current obesity crisis.

WebMD should have a few articles on this, you can search their site for more info.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #3  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I read some articles from Web MD and other sites and it seems to be a matter of getting the right amount of calcium naturally and not through supplements.

I am just going to keep doing what I have been doing and making sure I get 2-3 servings of dairy a day.

Here is a link to one of the many articles listed.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/5...ht-loss?page=2
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There was another series of articles I read - I'll have to find the source - that said consuming calcium after working out, especially after strength training, helped build stronger bones and muscles. I've read in several articles that low-fat milk, and especially chocolate milk, is one of the best post-workout snacks you can have, because it's protein, carbs, and calcium.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
There was another series of articles I read - I'll have to find the source - that said consuming calcium after working out, especially after strength training, helped build stronger bones and muscles. I've read in several articles that low-fat milk, and especially chocolate milk, is one of the best post-workout snacks you can have, because it's protein, carbs, and calcium.

Hmmm, dangerous knowledge perhaps
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I know I do better at weight loss when I take my calcium supplements religiously. It also helps my moods, especially around AF, quite a lot. Love the calcium.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote