Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default How do you tighten/lose the belly fat?

Hello everyone,

I am getting close to a really good weight for me--my goal (right now) is 140 lbs and I am 5'6". At 150 lbs I'm wearing a size 10 and I'd be elated to be in an 8, which I think I would be at 140. Unfortunately, I've still got a good amount of belly jelly I've never been one to have a flat stomach, even when thinner, but since having a baby 18 months ago my midsection is really squishy. Losing 30+ lbs has shrunk everything down, and I do exercise regularly, but I'm just wondering when or if my belly will firm up. Will I need to lower my goal weight and keep losing until the belly catches up w/ the rest of my body? Or is it something only exercise will eventually take care of?

I'd appreciate any advice, tips or experience you all have on this!
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You may find that the last ten pounds make a big difference. The weight doesn't always come off evenly all over. But no can say, all you can do is see what happens, because everyone is different. Strengthening your abs and back are great for lots of reasons, but the shape of your stomach is more due to genetics and weight. You may be pleased at how fast things start to change as you near goal. I know I see as much change now with 5 pounds as I used to see with 10 pounds. Even a true 2 pounds loss is noticeable now.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I agree with the previous poster: it depends on your genetics, skin elasticity, how many kids you've had, and time. Be sure to start now and do as many kinds of upper and lower ab crunches and leg lifts as you can think of; I don't mean go crazy or anything, but that will help lose some inches and tone you up a bit ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
You may find that the last ten pounds make a big difference. The weight doesn't always come off evenly all over. But no can say, all you can do is see what happens, because everyone is different. Strengthening your abs and back are great for lots of reasons, but the shape of your stomach is more due to genetics and weight. You may be pleased at how fast things start to change as you near goal. I know I see as much change now with 5 pounds as I used to see with 10 pounds. Even a true 2 pounds loss is noticeable now.
That is encouraging. I hope this holds true for me. I see that you did C25K--did you see good toning results from it?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
I agree with the previous poster: it depends on your genetics, skin elasticity, how many kids you've had, and time. Be sure to start now and do as many kinds of upper and lower ab crunches and leg lifts as you can think of; I don't mean go crazy or anything, but that will help lose some inches and tone you up a bit ...
I need to do better on the ab exercises. I always feel like i have to do more cardio to get rid of the fat before I can tone the muscle, but I think a combo would be most effective at this point.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
That is encouraging. I hope this holds true for me. I see that you did C25K--did you see good toning results from it?
I don't know. I never had the dramatic weight loss or body changes from running that some others have had. It actually corresponds roughly to when my weight loss slowed down. Not *because* of the running, but because about a month after I started C25K, I stopped counting calories. I still lose, just slower. I think most of the muscles I see I built with yoga, which I've been doing since April. I do seem to be losing more in the hips lately, which seems to be from the running, but it's hard to tell. Maybe this is just the weight at which my hips slim down.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #7  

Has anyone heard of the P90x program? I have a friend that looks fantastic (she could be a fitness model) and she swears by it. Just wondered if anyone has tried it?
jgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #8  
Lori

S/C/G: 227/179.5/140

Height: 5'1

Default Bellydancing

I was wondering if anyone had tried belly dancing to tone up the stomach and other parts of the body.I have a girlfriend who is doing a burlesque class for exercise but I am not brave enough for that.
Clanori is offline   Reply With Quote