Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default 25 pounds lost today! yipee!

Wow I just weighed and I am down 2 more pounds for a total of 25 pounds this months (my actual high was 342 not what my ticker says) when I started on the 1st!

I can't believe I'm on my way to a new me! I have been planning this a long time (TOO LONG!)

I really feel for the first time if I just stick to plan I will do it this time.

I have been trying to think what I am doing different THIS time that is different from all the other times I that I tried to cut back a little and get a little healthier.

If I had to pick one thing out I would say my food diary. I had never done that before and for the first time in my life I know exactly what is going into my body. I have faithfully logged everything and when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING even if I pop open a box and eat a few raisins I log it down.

I feel like celebrating but really I know better, it is too early. I think I am going to treat myself when I get down to 300 and that would be 40 pounds lost.

What do you guys think about that is that a good idea to treat yourself when you reach a goal? And I'm not talking about like a candy bar as a treat I mean like a trip to the Chinese Buffet (yeah I still crave going there! LOL) for old times sake?? Or a trip to Ruth Chris's Steak House!

OR is it best to just forget about eating that way ever again. I have read so many posts where people say they have been eating low fat and low cal for so long they don't crave the bad stuff they used to eat. Unfortunately I am not there yet. I think maybe I will never be there.

I am pretty certain if someone put a Pizza Hut Meat Lovers pizza in front of me and I was inclined to eat it I am certain I could demolish that pizza in no time! LOL!

And for those of you who have reached GOAL do you ever just go out every once in a while and just pig out or is that a thing of the past.

I guess thats my problem... LOL! I have a problem of letting go of my past eating habits. I mean I KNOW what I need to do and I am going to do it but the thought that I will never be able to go into Red Lobster or Cheesecake Factory and just get what I want slightly depresses me!

But for the moment... I am just happy that I have lost a few pounds. I know it is just a drop in the bucket compared to what I need to lose but I am savoring this little victory for what it's worth!

Happy New Years YALL!

Last edited by flatiron; 12-30-2008 at 12:20 PM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

wow well done! You should be so proud of yourself.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
Wow! Good job. Like you no matter how long i am eating healthy I will NEVER get rid of my desire to eat buffets whether it be pizza or chinese. I can manage the desires better but they will never go away.
Hey I am so glad I am not the only one! LOL! I'll always crave it but I too can manage the desires.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #4  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Awesome Job! I just weighed in and had the same results 25 lbs lost since November 11th 2008. I know how ya feel. It is super exciting.
Wanted to add: My 8 year old son weighs 56 lbs And I can bearly lift him. We together lost nearly his weight.THAT SOOOOOOOO ROCKS!
Anyways Congradulations And AGAIN AWESOME JOB!

Last edited by Lori259; 12-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! :congrats:

That is wonderful--you're really on your way!

I would encourage you to think of some other way to treat yourself than with food. To use overeating, or eating junk foods, as a reward or treat for weight loss is sort of like an alcoholic celebrating sobriety by going out to a bar...

Perhaps you could go to a first-run movie, or visit a favorite outdoor area, or get yourself a new computer game or electronic device. A new iPod, or some new iTunes... Some new shoes for going on walks... I'm just trying to come up with some ideas--you know the kinds of things you would like.

But keep on going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

Way to go on the weight loss! Lots of hard work and dedication paying off. I too find the food log very helpful, sometimes the thought of having to write something down keeps me from eating what I shouldn't.

I personally try to avoid food rewards, it's a slippery slope. I go for material items. A friend of mine who lost over 100 pounds rewarded herself with a rather large slice of cake every 10 pounds and it worked for her. If you feel you can go to a buffett for one meal and leave it at that it will not do much harm. In my "rules" I'm allowed 200 calories of chocolate a day and a free meal (Ruth's Chris is delicious) twice a month so I don't feel deprived.

You seem very motivated and that's awesome! You definitely deserve a reward of some sort, you might even want to pre-plan rewards for reaching mini goals. Keep up the good work!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't treat myself with food either. As I was losing the weight, I used things like new clothes or tickets to a play as my goal "treats". My final goal "treat" was to get a new digital camcorder so that we could take more/better movies of our family -- with me IN them instead of behind the lense or hiding in the kitchen. I wanted ME to be part of my children's memories not just my voice as narrator...

That said, however, I do not deny myself ever eating pizza or ever eating Chinese food. I had two slices of veggie pizza for dinner about three weeks ago and I had Chinese at a friends house in the middle of last month. Pizza and Chinese are part of "regular" life -- just infrequently and in MUCH more manageable portions than before. So I still eat food like that once in a while, even when I was losing weight, but I am trying to retrain my brain not to think of food as reward -- it is just food.

Last edited by Schumeany; 12-30-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Congrats on your loss! You are doing an awesome job.

I use to treat myself with my favorite foods, but it just didn't work out well for me. First I would be all excited about my new accomplishment, then have a treat, and the very next day my weight would have lept up, making me feel like a total failure. Of course I new deep down that 1 (2-3) pieces of pizza didn't really make me gain that weight, that it was mainly water weight, but it didn't stop it from making me feel depressed. So now I try to give myself rewards that somehow tie into my new lifestyle; audiobooks, running shoes, new clothes, etc. Of course I do let myself have my favorite food treats everyonce in a while, I just don't use it as a reward, and I now know not to weigh for a couple of days after a decadent treat. And remember, one slice of pizza meat lovers pizza tastes just a good as two, but with half the calories!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

great job...like others suggested find some great non food rewards they don't always have to be expensive...such a nice relaxing night with a bath, pedicure, manicure (can be done relatively inexpensive). simple things...i've seen some who purchase a new ipod song for every 5 lbs lost...find what you like non food and reward yourself...if you have extra cash..definately treat with big rewards like every 25lbs..maybe something nice like a massage. I don't have the cash these days for that but if you did.its a nice treat.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I'm very proud of you! Believe it or not, you have already given yourself the greatest reward. Unless you are rock solid in your commitment, I would avoid rewarding yourself with food though. I am very dedicated, but decided to splurge, (for the first time since starting my healthy diet) on Christmas Day. I have been a total mess ever since. The craving are terrible, and fighting them is making me physically ill...and the anxiety of it all is making me crazy. Of course, my experiences are not typical, and you may find that a Chinese Buffet can end for you the minute you walk out the door. For your sake, I hope it can. I'm much better rewarding myself with new bling or acrylic nails. When I started this heathy way of life, I was "super-morbidly obese". Food rewards got me there and they can take me back. I still have a very unhealthy relationship with food, but then again everybody is different.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 12-30-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote