Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #1  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Default Combining Atkins/ Calorie Counting/ Calorie Cycling... good idea, or bad idea?

Hey Atkins Community,

So, I have decided to go on the Atkins diet for New Years. However, I do not think Atkins alone will make me lose the weight.

My story in a nutshell is that after peaking at 184lbs, I finally decided that this is the time in my life to seriously get the weight off. I've been doing healthy, home cooked food since about end-of September, and I got down to 168lbs about early November (so thats like in 6 weeks).

Since then I've plateaued and I have not lost any weight, while pretty much having no change in my routine. I've decided to switch up a little to get myself out of this rut.

I've never done Atkins to the T, but I've done low-carb before. The first two times it did work, but the last 2-3 times it did not- personally I think that I was ingesting too much calories.

So I'm thinking of combining the Atkins diet with calorie cycling (which then also means calorie counting). From what I read in the Atkins book, this should be alright seeing that Induction really doesn't address portions of protein and fats. I would adhere to my 20g of carbs daily, but use my meat/ eggs/ fat portions to cycle.

What are your opinions about this? Has anyone tried anything similiar, and if so, what was the outcome? For you Atkins officionados, is there any reason this is BAD idea?

Thanks for your advice!

sweetshauna

P.S. I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, but this is my first post!
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I think Atkins and regular Calorie counting is a good way to go (not to sure about the cycling part as I don't know to much about it). When I was following Atkins the only way I would lose was to keep an eye on my calories as well because I could really stuff it in. My DH also watches his calories and he has been doing Atkins for years.... he's goes up and down 5 lbs but he's pretty much at goal.

Give it a try.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetshauna View Post
I've never done Atkins to the T, but I've done low-carb before.
I believe if you follow Atkins the way it was written (when Dr. Atkins wrote it...NOT Atkins Nutritionals Inc.) counting calories isn't totally necessary. Before I get blasted here, that being said, I'd like to emphasize that I am referring to doing Atkins to the T. NOTHING that isn't on the acceptable foods list, in the portions Dr. Atkins outlined in the book. Concentrate mainly on veggies & salads (12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from these). I think if you "do Atkins" correctly you will learn your "trigger" foods. In my case, cream cheese. I learned early on I have no portion control when it comes to this...so, I basically avoid it.

As far as "carb cycling"...I personally do not believe this is Atkins. Dr. Atkins instructed when Induction was completed to begin adding foods according to the carb ladder in 5 carb increments. Doing this the way it was written will allow you to determine your personal carb level to keep losing or to maintain. For some it can be as low as 25-30 carbs a day, for others it may be 80-100.

Atkins is a very structured plan...different from other low carb plans...but, if it is followed the way it was written, it works!

All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetshauna View Post
Hey Atkins Community,

So, I have decided to go on the Atkins diet for New Years. However, I do not think Atkins alone will make me lose the weight.

My story in a nutshell is that after peaking at 184lbs, I finally decided that this is the time in my life to seriously get the weight off. I've been doing healthy, home cooked food since about end-of September, and I got down to 168lbs about early November (so thats like in 6 weeks).

Since then I've plateaued and I have not lost any weight, while pretty much having no change in my routine. I've decided to switch up a little to get myself out of this rut.

I've never done Atkins to the T, but I've done low-carb before. The first two times it did work, but the last 2-3 times it did not- personally I think that I was ingesting too much calories.

So I'm thinking of combining the Atkins diet with calorie cycling (which then also means calorie counting). From what I read in the Atkins book, this should be alright seeing that Induction really doesn't address portions of protein and fats. I would adhere to my 20g of carbs daily, but use my meat/ eggs/ fat portions to cycle.

What are your opinions about this? Has anyone tried anything similiar, and if so, what was the outcome? For you Atkins officionados, is there any reason this is BAD idea?

Thanks for your advice!

sweetshauna

P.S. I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, but this is my first post!
I used just what you described to get out of my plateau. Its not a bad idea and will kick start your WOE. See my stats by clicking the link in my signature. You will see my outcome there.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #5  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Actually, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll still stick to the Atkins prescribed carbohydrate monitoring, and only use the proteins (that Atkins allows you to "eat liberally") in order to fluctuate my daily calorie intake.

If I don't see any results by Feb 14th (I'm in the calorie counters Vals day challenge), then I'll re-assess.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out!
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good luck !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Just keep up your fat percentage.