Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Default OA or therapy?

I'm at the point now where I realize that willpower isn't enough for me. I am a compulsive overeater and I need help. What I'm wondering is if I should go to OA meetings or see a therapist? My overeating stems from a specific incident when I was a young adult. I haven't always had this problem and I don't want to live the rest of my life having such a messed up relationship with food!!

I have the feeling that therapy might be more helpful because I can be more in depth with why I'm the way I am....but if OA is a better option, I'm open to that too. Anyone have advice?
hotmamacitax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

IMHO therapy is the way to go. I went to a few OA meetings and they didn't really get very deep. It was more of just working the steps & acknowledging you had an issue. Unless you get a really great sponsor (I didn't) that you can tell everything to, you may never get to the root issues.

I'm right there w/ you. I haven't always had food issues. Not sure why but they have obviously gotten out of control & I need to figure out why I am being so self destructive. I'm planning on starting therapy very soon. Good luck.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I think I would try both in your position. IF you get the right group and sponsor, might be ideal. IF you get the right therapist, might be ideal. But lots of people I know had to work to find the right therapist, went thru 3-4 before finding someone who was "right". And I know a few people who tried different AA meeting groups (Not OA, don't know anyone personally who has done OA) until they found the right fit.
Good Luck.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote