Overeaters Anonymous - What and how does a sponsor work?

View Full Version : What and how does a sponsor work?

Reddalice
12-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm looking for more information on what a sponsor means. What do they do? What do they expect from their sponsoree? What is good advice you have gotten and what do you do for your sponsor to reciprocate?

tommy
12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
A sponsor is someone who has worked the steps and is passing on their experience, strength and hope to you. Guiding you through the steps. By doing that the sponsor is working the 12th step of "paying it forward". They do not expect anything of you (the sponsee) other than respecting the guidelines they set. Some guidelines might be a daily phone call, answering step questions and doing writing assignments, going to a certain number of meetings, etc. It is somewhat like a mentoring situation in the setting of working the steps and dealing with your chosen form of abstinence.

Reddalice
12-28-2008, 12:14 AM
My sponsor hasn't set guidelines, how does that work? I feel bad bothering anyone with my problems.

2ndChance09
12-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Are there certain rules with a sponsor? Do you have to call them every single day? Can you e-mail them if that is easier? I haven't even gone to a meeting yet so I am prob. gettng ahead of myself but I was just curious.

tommy
12-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Most sponsors sponsor the way they were sponsored. Sounds a bit convoluted, but basically they pass on what they learned in the way they were taught. That means that although there are core things like the steps, there can be alot of variation on the other stuff. You ask someone and if they say yes you just move forward. If it does not work for you with that person, mutually agree to move on. Sponsors are not "gurus", they are just people with a little more recovery trying to share what worked for them.

2ndChance09
12-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info!