UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Default Les Mills Exercise Programmes

Does anyone else participate in any of the Les Mills programmes and if so, what are your favourites?

I currently do Body Attack, Body Pump, Body Step and Body Balance.

In the past, I have also tried Body Jam and Body Combat.

I have to say I love them all - the music, routines and the energy of the instructors are fabulous but my very favourite is Body Attack. Very hard going but I feel so proud of myself once I have finished a class and reckon it has made an enormous difference to my fitness levels. I also sleep like a baby after an evening workout!

I also love Body Pump and think it has made a very noticeable difference to my body shape and tone!

Any other fans out there?

Last edited by MissVitality; 12-23-2008 at 07:30 AM.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Size 16/Size 16/Size 12

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I'm a fan. Like you I really like the music and the way the whole class feels more like a party than a workout!

I'm a HUGE Body Combat fan and have just taken up Body Balance to get some proper stetching in (I've been having massages, I am told my back is really muscular but because i haven't stretched properly it's melded into one big muscle. Now a few massages later I'm starting to see the definition)

Body Step I like but found it really energentic! Body Attack too - I think that one is the biggest calorie burner.

I used to do a lot of Body Pump but I'm not so keen now, instead I go into the gym proper and do high weights with lower reps. I do worry sometimes in Pump the weights aren't lifted slowly enough, and if you get the technique wrong you could damage yourself. It all comes down to the instructor in Pump, I don't like the ones who try to get you to pile on the weights cos you might get the technique wrong.

Body Jam is HUGE fun and I find it not as strenuous as the rest. I think if you're just starting working out Body jam is a good one to go for. I do use some of the moves while out and about dancing too

But I'm mainly a Body Combat girl ... nothing better than after a horrible day at work to go and pretend I am puching and kicking away all the people who've annoyed me in the day I find if I miss classes I get more stressed and don't sleep as well either.
JenJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #3  

Like you, I decided to start doing Body Balance after going for a back, neck and shoulder massage! The therapist asked me if I did Body Pump as the muscles in my back were so tight it hurt her hands trying to get the tension out. Balance makes me feel really chilled out - I love it. I've kept the massages up as well - I go for one a month. The therapist has recommended I go more often but I can't afford to!

I haven't been to Combat for a while as my local centre doesn't offer so I need to travel quite a bit to get there. I have really enjoyed it though when I have gone - fab for getting all your aggression out but you really feel it the next day! Ouch!

I agree with you about Jam - when I first started going, i found it quite tough. Now after doing Attack so much, I hardly break a sweat at Jam but think it's great fun and definitely like a party!

I have a brilliant instructor for Pump who is always very careful about technique. He has helped me to very gradually increase my weights and has recently told me to bring them back down a bit on the Back track as he felt I was tiring too much towards the end of the track and my technique was being affected.

Like you, I hate missing a class - makes me feel sluggish and grumpy! I'm looking forward to the new releases from January.

How often do you go?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #4  

Hi MissV

I had the same thing at massage! I was told I had the "worst back" she had seen for ages! I'd love a weekly massage but like you funds only permit a monthly one. I have started doing some yoga too ... see if your gym does it, I'd recommend it, in some classes I feel like I've had a massge afterwards! And I have noticed that i stand up better too, hence pulling in the tummy more and looking a bit slimmer (I'll take all the help i can get!)

I usually do Combat 3-4 times a week, but it all went wrong in December. From Jan 5th my exercise plan looks like this:
Mon 30 mins weights, 45 mins Combat, 15 mins extra stretch
Tues 1 hour combat followed by 1 hour Balance
Weds 30 mins weights followed by 90 mins yoga
Thus 30 mins weights, 1 hour Combat, 15 mins extra strech
Fri 30 mins weights, 45 mins Attack, 15 min stretch
Saturday and Sunday - I aim get out on my bike for at least 1 hour a day

it does look a lot, but I've been going regularly so it's not that much of a push to do this. Plus if I'm at a class I'm not eating!

I notice you've lost lots of weight already - well done! May I ask how you've done it? My real aim is trouser size so i don't weigh myself, but I'm around 202lbs now and feel that to be the size 12 I will need to be around 154lbs, although building up the muscle does add more weight, so I'm not too fussed about what i weigh but more lack of fat. But - how do you do it? I'm starting again on Jan 5th and would love any tips you have

Last edited by JenJam; 12-28-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #5  

Thank you for the congratulations! It's the best thing I have done for myself in my life.

I do lots of exercise which helps me maintain any weight loss.

My current exercise routine is:

Monday: Legs, Bums and Tums Class (45 mins), Gym ( 1 hour - treadmill, bike, cross trainer, rowing machine)
Tuesday: Body Pump (I hour), Body Attack (1 hour)
Wednesday: Body Balance (1 hour)
Thursday: Body Attack (1 hour)
Friday: Rest Day!
Saturday: Body Pump (1 hour), Gym ( 1 hour - treadmill, bike, cross trainer, rowing machine)
Sunday: Body Step (45 minutes)

I know that looks a lot as well (my mother is horrified!) but I have been exercising this much for about a year and a half now so my body can take it. i do think I'm a bit addicted though!

I find though that it's only when I get my eating in order that the weight comes off, the exercise just seems to help what I have already lost to stay off.

I haven't followed any specific plan or joined any weight loss club although I have picked up ideas from reading magazines ( I particularly like Slim at Home and Health and Fitness) and from books (I LOVE Confessions of a Reformed Dieter by A.J. Rochester which I have re-read several time and can thoroughly recommend!)

The main things I think that have helped me are:

1) I plan my food intake on a weekly basis and make sure when I go the supermarket that is all I buy. There are no chocolate biscuits or crisps hiding in my cupboards! I base my meal plans on eating 1,500 calories per day and take account of anything coming up that week - like going out for dinner etc. where I do although myself to eat a bit more but try to make healthier choices.

2) I eat regularly throughout the day - breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner and supper. I normally make sure I get my five (or more!) fruit and vegetable portions a day. I have cut down on red meat and eat a lot of fish and poultry instead.

3) I always, always drink at least 2 litres of water per day. I take a bottle to work each day. It helps me stop feeling hungry and generally makes me feel more energetic!

4) Although I have not totally eliminated alcohol ( life is too short!) I have quite substantially reduced how much I drink. I can still go out and enjoy myself without getting drunk and friends appreciate me being the sober one with the car sometimes so they can get a lift home from the pub!

5) If I am going out, for example, clothes shopping, I always take a healthy snack in my handbag like an apple, banana or Frusli nut bar in case I start to feel hungry. Without it, it's too tempting to go for some chocolate to address the hunger.

6) Chocolate is my downfall so I have learned to say no. Not always, mind but I do find that I can't stop with one or two so I am generally better off just making up my mind not to have any. That means ignoring the tins of chocolate in the office at work. But I feel kind of good when I say 'no, thank you!'

That's it, really! I do have 'off' days but I find once I go back to sticking to these principles above, the weight comes off at a steady 1-2 pounds a week. I hope it keeps up!

Oh, I also give myself a non-food related treat each week that I lose - like a new nail polish, lipstick or bunch of flowers - just a small thing that makes me feel good about myself. That has helped keep up the motivation when it has been flagging.

Congratulations on your weight loss too - I know how miserable it is to be Size 24 having been there so you have done so well to get down to a size 16. That must feel good! You are doing great and I am sure that will continue in the New Year. Best of luck!

Last edited by MissVitality; 12-28-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  

Thank you for the tips - I 110% agree with you on the planning, i find if I plan my meals weekly I eat better. Like you I also can't have goodies at home - if they were there I WOULD eat them.
I like to eat small regular meals too, keeps the metaboism ticking over and stops me binging. Oh and I keep drinking pints at work - of water that is! I keep aplastic pint glass by my desk (and walk to the water cooler furthest away to fill it)

I'm not planning on a "standard" diet either but am going to give the Paul mcKenna book a proper go. I did it for a few weeks this year and did notice that i ate less ... however as scales aren't my goal it's diffccult to measure success ... tape measure, maybe ...

I agree with you too in that I don't think fat/weight can be lost through exercise alone. Maintenance yes, I find if I exercise a lot I can eat what i want (goodies wise) and not put on any weight, but nothing comes off.

I'm going to print off your list and carry it about with me (as stated before, I DO need all the help I can get lol) but can I share one back with you? On number 6, I've found that if anyone offers me something "naughty" I say "no thanks, I don't like <whatever it is>". I find that once I've said this a few times I find myself saying it automatically, then actually believing it. I stopped eating jam doughnuts and biscuits that way.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #7  

Thanks for that tip, JenJam - going to try it out! Presumably people will also stop offering you these things if they think you don't like them as well which will help avoid temptation being put in your way!

Just off to do Attack, Balance and Pump - a triple whammy! i must be mad
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/154.6/130

Height: 5'4"

I absolutely love Body Combat. Of course, I sweated 5 gallons of water..lol..but I felt great afterwards. It helped also to have a screamer for an instructor. I have always been too afraid to do the other classes.
Sarah Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

I just looked at the website and it turns out a class I did a few times is a Les Mills class. I did body balance and to be honest I didn't think it was that good but I think it was mostly down to the instructor. If I hadn't done yoga for a few years before I think I would have struggled a lot.

I love body pump style classes though. They hurt a lot at first but I think they really make a difference if you go regularly.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #10  

Sarah Mac - give some others a go! You will love them - I promise! if you like Combat, Attack should be right up your street as well.

AngelD - Body Balance is a bit tricky to start with but give it another go (maybe try a different instructor?) It makes me feel so relaxed and chilled out. Pump classes are great and definitely make a huge difference to your shape. They have also increased my self-confidence - an additional wee benefit!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #11  

Default Les Mills

Hi there. I'm new here but I found your thread about Les Mills programs and I was excited. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. My gym (an all women's gym) offers Body Pump, Body Step, Body Flow. I wish I could give the body attack a try. Maybe they'll add it soon.

I've never seen such a huge difference in my body than when I started with pump. And then Body Step really picked my butt up a little higher! I love flow too!

What is the difference between flow and balance? Maybe they're called something different in the UK?
lal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #12  

Hi lal77!

Flow and Balance are essentially the same thing - for copyright reasons, the name is different in the US than the rest of the world.

Hope you get an Attack class soon - they are amazing!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/149

Height: 5'7

I also love the les mills classes also! I was going to them just about every day and they helped me loose 50 lbs...then I joined another gym closer to the house and didn't realize how much I missed the body pump and body step classes. I just joined another gym this week that has all the les mills classes and I am so exicted to get started again. I never realized how motivating the Les Mills classes were until I stopped going and went back to regular old classes at the gym....I love Les Mills!
floridagirl1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #14  
HMS

S/C/G: 94/85/65 kg

Height: 5'8"

I love Les Mills classes .. we are quite proud of this export business here in New Zealand.... I have done all the classes .... currently I do combat, step, and balance. I tend to do weights in the gym now rather than a bodypump class .... the only one my gym doesn't do is body attack ...which I would love to get into again ....
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #15  

I so Love LesMills exercise classes at my gym , my current exercise routine is this;

Mon: Body Step
Tues:Body Attack
Wed:Body Pump
Thurs: Body Jam
Fri: Turbo Jam Turbo Sculpt
Sat: Body Combat
Sun: Turbo Jam Cardio Party No 1

I started April 2010, So far i am in love with all the classes, the first few days my muscle were aching, i literally could not walk, but after the scond week, my body was actually craving for the exercise. MY LOVE is Body Pump, second Body Combat , for me initially the hardest was Body Step i really recommend LesMills Classes . So far have lost 6.5KG .
sweetchic82 is offline   Reply With Quote