Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

Question True weight??/ Using the right scale?? help

Ok,I have 2 questions I would like everybodys' opinion on please.

What is the best time to weigh yourself? In the morning before eating or drinking anything, or after breakfast to get a true idea of your actual weight? Do you weigh in the buff or with clothes on? I mean I know it is kind of an "out there" question, but sometimes I weigh at home and feel pretty good, and then at a DR's appointment I'm like OMG! That is wrong! Do you know what I mean? I just really want to be honest with myself and make sure I'm not sugar coating anything. I want to keep it real.
Also, I'm planning to buy a new sale and am thinking about a digital because I hear it is a more accurate way to see the numbers. The one I have now is a dial kind and it gets confusing, to make sure you are standing correctly, it seems it weighs different if you are standing too far up on the thing or too far back. Plus my eyesight is terrible and those little lines are barely readable. So does anybody have a favorite brand or type of digital scale to reccomend?
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

"When" isn't so important as that it's the same every time.

For me - I like to see the smallest number possible. I weigh in first thing in the morning after a pit stop.

If you wait until after breakfast - just make sure you always weigh in after breakfast. That way it stays consistent.

The scale itself should also be the same one all the time - doctors office weigh in doesn't count for me. For starters...I'm fully clothed...and it's not m normal weigh in time.

I still have an old analog scale - but there are threads where many digital ones have been reviewed...try searching for new scale.

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 12-22-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: 5 second attention span...gots more to say :D
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

First thing in the morning, naked as a jay bird, after I pee. I'd wait until after doing other things as well, but that requires coffee...so I go with the pre-coffee weight. I figure that is the actual "me" -- no clothes, no food/drink in my tummy...and it is the lowest it is going to get.

Ignore the doctor's office scale. Weight can change a few pounds in a given day from eating, drinking, etc., and when you weigh at the doctor's office, you have on some assortment of clothing. Depending on the season, those can weigh any variety of amounts. Just not a good, accurate weight. If you are worried your scale may be really off, then maybe it is worth looking into that, but ALL scales are different by a few pounds. What really matters is that you use the SAME scale for all your weigh ins...so you know how you are doing.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #4  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Yep, I just disregard any scale reading other than my own. I have been weighed at the doctors and it's been 8 lbs more than what I weighed in that same morning. Especially if you drink a lot of water, different times of day can really throw things off.
I weigh in every morning after a quick pit stop, with my jammies on (they don't weigh much and I hate the cold).
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #5  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I read that the way to get your most accurate weight is to weigh yourself the same number of days after TOM... since your cycle can cause bloat and water retention, if you always weigh yourself 14 days after TOM, then it is most accurate. Also, you need to be weighing yourself in the same conditions daily--same amount (or lack of) clothes, same amount (or lack of) food/water in your system, pre-bathroom or post-bathroom.

I'm generally a weigh-myself-everyday kind of person so it can yo-yo. I also have the analog scale and sometimes when I step on and it seems too high I'll shift my weight forward or back and WAH-LAH.. I weigh less! I actually hate my scale, I would prefer digital, whether it made me weigh more or less just so the number is not so wishy-washy.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

There is no such thing as a single number that is your "true weight."

Your weight goes up and down during the day and night as you eat, drink, sleep, breathe, etc. Also at the doc's office, you are probably clothed? I am at my doc's office--even wearing shoes. So you just know I weigh more there.

I always weigh first thing after I pee and before I drink or eat anything. I am not naked, but I do always wear the same thing.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I weigh in each morning after going to the bathroom

I just bought a digital scale from Target for a great price, I want to say like $20- so far it works great My old one was definitely way off!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
There is no such thing as a single number that is your "true weight."
Jay took the words right out of my mouth.

The thing is, that even if you don't eat a single thing, or drink a single drop, your weight will vary throughout the day. If the weather changes, your weight can change. If you are ovulating your weight can change. If you're constipated your weight can change. THere's no "one true weight" for anyone.

The best you can do is be CONSISTENT. That means weigh at the same time, on the same scale, in the same condition (naked or not, having eaten or not, etc.) every single time you weigh.

And don't pay attention to what other scales says when you have to weigh on other scales.

Like a lot of the women here, I weigh in the morning. I do it right after I step out of the shower. I towel dry my hair, hop on the scale. At that point I've peed, showered, but not had anything to eat or drink.

I weigh every single morning - because I like to know what's going on with my body. But what I consider my "official" weight is my Monday morning weight. That's the one that I set my ticker to, and that I log on my blog.

My doctor's scale says I weigh about 2lb more and my gym scale says 10lb more, but I just stick with MY scale. 'Cause it's the one I see every day.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I'm a first thing in the morning after I void and before I eat anything type as well and it works for me. I like the suggestion from others that you should make sure that whatever you decide, you are consistent with. Definitely take the MD's scale with a grain of salt. I always have my shoes on when they weigh me and in the winter that could be heavy boots so the reading is never accurate.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7

First thing in the morning, naked after I pee like everyone else. I weigh mostly daily unless I forget, but only count my friday weigh in.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for all the advice, will do!
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #12  
WW for Life

S/C/G: 289.4/149/164 - Per.Goal 139

Height: 5'8"

I don't think the time is important as long as you are consistent with the same time every time you weigh.
Bobiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #13  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 195/158/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I weigh every single morning - because I like to know what's going on with my body. But what I consider my "official" weight is my Monday morning weight. That's the one that I set my ticker to, and that I log on my blog.
Yup, this is me too!
OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Remember not all scales are accurate. I was looking at digital scales a couple of years ago and wanted to test them out, so put some weights on them (from the sports section) and discovered they were off by a couple of pounds. I assume the weights are pretty accurate. So it doesn't matter what scale you use, as long as it's the same one so you see actual lbs lost (notice I said lost and not gained ). The doctor's scale is the most accurate, but it doesn't catch you at your best time to weigh.

I do need to get a digital scale though. I'm like the OP and can barely make out what line my weight is on. Even with glasses and bright lights.

Last edited by recidivist; 01-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #15  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

As far as scales I just bought one in November - I got it at Fred Meyer (kinda like Target).

It's a Taylor scale that is digital, has a blue LED light (I love Blue LEDs!!) and is easy to read, especially in the dark. It seems to be pretty consistent and it looks nice. It's silver and kinda thin. It goes up to 330 or 350 lbs, I forget which.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote