General chatter - Christmas Poll

View Full Version : Christmas Poll

EZMONEY
12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Angie and I spend a lot of this time of year at church....I can't think of a better place to be :)

We will be having around 30 family and friends over as usual for Christmas Eve dinner and gift exchange. After the celebration Angie and I, our kids and several other family members will be going to 10pm service. Angie, my ex and sil will have attend the 6pm service to perform their "duties". Some of my family and friends will not be going to church Christmas Eve or any other day.

How about you?

painted lady
12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
i don't go to church anymore... ever. but i've been thinking about going on Christmas Eve for one reason: to sing. i was in church choir starting at age 3 and school choir starting at age 5. i LOVE singing. i never get to do it anymore (unless i'm in my car :) ). i told my boyfriend i might go to church on wednesday night and he made a face.... i am not religious or believing in anything in the slightest... i just like the music!

as for christmas day, Chad and I are going to visit his grandparents in Iowa. that will be fun... his family is so nice!

NightengaleShane
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
:lol: Gary - CEO - Christmas and Easter Only - that cracked me up!!

I will most definitely be going to church with my family on Christmas.

I have recently started going to church again (as well as getting involved with the volunteer youth ministry!), after ending my relationship (and a few other not-so-healthy ones), doing some general soul-searching, and straightening my life out. As a kid, I always hated going to church, but now I have A LOT more enthusiasm for my faith since *I* chose it. No one told me to start going to church; God called me back and I did it on my own accord. :)

junebug41
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Gary your poll options made me laugh.

I have never been to church on Christmas Eve! Can you believe that? We would always go the Sunday around Christmas with the whole family and I don't know why we never went on Christmas Eve.

That's changing this year! DH's family is in town and I'm lucky to be able to attend church at the largest Anglican cathedral in the state. It's breathtaking. So this year DH and I are taking the whole crowd down for the 7 p.m. service after an early supper. It should be fun for everyone.

I'm also big into the musical aspect. To me, that's a religious experience all its own.

painted lady
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
i would be that creepy girl who sits in the front, doesn't pray, and sings really loudly. and then leaves immediately afterward.

junebug41
12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
As a kid, I always hated going to church, but now I have A LOT more enthusiasm for my faith since *I* chose it. No one told me to start going to church; God called me back and I did it on my own accord. :)

Same here. I did a lot of soul searching and self discovery when deciding what kind of wedding I wanted to have this summer. It was sort of the fringe benefit of the process ;)

murphmitch
12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Our family tradition is for the whole family to attend Midnight Mass. We've been taking our kids to the Midnight service since they were born. It's always beautiful. In the last few years many churches have gotten away from it and have their last Christmas Eve service at 10pm or 11, but our church still does it at midnight. There have been mornings where I had to get up at 5am to go to work (hospital) after being up so late, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. There are fewer people attending the late service in the last few years.

Since the kids were older we have also begun opening gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas (after Santa came). All my kids will be here (two home from college). We have a big meal with lasagna on Christmas Eve, open gifts, then go to Mass. It's gonna be a really cold Christmas Eve here this year. The high today here was -1!

jtammy
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
We have a candlelight Christmas Eve service at 6pm that is part of our tradition. We'll be there again this year. When our kids we younger, we went to a different church that had a midnight service. Although it was harder to do since they were so young, it really was a beautiful service.

Nightengaleshane, :) that's good news. I think you are someone the youth could really relate to.

jtammy
12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
i would be that creepy girl who sits in the front, doesn't pray, and sings really loudly. and then leaves immediately afterward.

Everyone is welcome at most churches. Go and enjoy the music, if that's why you want to go. I love Christmas hymns and other music as well. One reason I look forward to Advent is because of the music.

My new favorite is "In the Bleak Midwinter" (don't know how I missed this all these years) but I also adore "O Come Immanuel" and "What Child is This".

painted lady
12-22-2008, 12:14 AM
i love "O Come Emmanuel" (minor chords... mmmm) and "O Holy Night." when i was a senior in high school, i sang "O Holy Night" as a solo in front of the whole congregation on Christmas Eve. that was terrifying.

Chance0421
12-22-2008, 12:50 AM
I haven't ever gone to church on Christmas Eve, but I think I'm going to this year. My husband works at our church & he is going to be running all 3 services, so I thought I would go & sit in the sound booth with him. Our church doesn't do a Christmas day service though, which wouldn't work because we do family festivities all day anyway. So, anyway, maybe I'm starting a new tradition this year. =)

foodieUS
12-22-2008, 04:15 AM
We never miss going to the church. On the Christmas day I and my family go to the church early in the morning.

MissVitality
12-22-2008, 09:19 AM
To me, Christmas isn't Christmas without going to Church. You have to ask yourself what Christmas is really about and its true meaning. For me, it's about the birth of Christ and his love for us. I appreciate others have different beliefs.

I will be going to a lovely Carol Service at Church on Christmas Eve followed by Midnight Mass. On Christmas morning, I will take my little niece and nephew to the children's mass. It is magical to come together as a community to celebrate the gift of Christ, our families and love for one another.

Merry Christmas to you all when it comes. xxx

alinnell
12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I only go to church when I'm back in Utah with my parents. It's really the only church I feel comfortable in, although there is a nice Lutheran church just a couple of miles from where I live. I know my parents go there when they come to visit me--their old pastor is a member there.

MonteCristo
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Our church doesn't have services on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. We did just have our Christmas potluck yesterday. It was so good! (Can you tell I'm Baptist?) ;)

RobinW
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
weddings and funerals are the only things that get me in a church!!!

RN BSN 2009
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
nope.. not going.

I'm not even a christian.. so it doesnt count...lol

bargoo
12-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I had a pastor who called people who only go to church on Christmas and Easter " Creasters".
I don't know where I would be without the love, fellowship and prayers of My Christian friends . Some of you know I have cancer. The love of God means everything to me. Since being prayed for at my church, I have found the peace of God that passes all understanding.

Fat Chick B Gone
12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Nope not me, not Christian. I just try to be a good person the whole year ;)

painted lady
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
yep, me too. i was born and raised Congregational (it's part of the United Church of Christ, and open and affirming), and i was even confirmed! now the only religion i can claim is cultural Jewishness... so Happy Chanukah, everyone! :)

church can be a good place to meet people and make friends... it's just never really worked out for me.

EZMONEY
12-22-2008, 10:43 PM
i don't go to church anymore... ever. but i've been thinking about going on Christmas Eve for one reason: to sing. i was in church choir starting at age 3 and school choir starting at age 5. i LOVE singing. i never get to do it anymore (unless i'm in my car :) ). i told my boyfriend i might go to church on wednesday night and he made a face.... i am not religious or believing in anything in the slightest... i just like the music!

as for christmas day, Chad and I are going to visit his grandparents in Iowa. that will be fun... his family is so nice!

We could use another singer in our church kiddo! :)

:lol: Gary - CEO - Christmas and Easter Only - that cracked me up!!

I will most definitely be going to church with my family on Christmas.

I have recently started going to church again (as well as getting involved with the volunteer youth ministry!), after ending my relationship (and a few other not-so-healthy ones), doing some general soul-searching, and straightening my life out. As a kid, I always hated going to church, but now I have A LOT more enthusiasm for my faith since *I* chose it. No one told me to start going to church; God called me back and I did it on my own accord. :)

Shane I wish you lived near me! :) My kids would love you as I do!

Gary your poll options made me laugh.

I have never been to church on Christmas Eve! Can you believe that? We would always go the Sunday around Christmas with the whole family and I don't know why we never went on Christmas Eve.

That's changing this year! DH's family is in town and I'm lucky to be able to attend church at the largest Anglican cathedral in the state. It's breathtaking. So this year DH and I are taking the whole crowd down for the 7 p.m. service after an early supper. It should be fun for everyone.

I'm also big into the musical aspect. To me, that's a religious experience all its own.

Awesome JEN :carrot:

Not so fast...we have donuts after first service!

Same here. I did a lot of soul searching and self discovery when deciding what kind of wedding I wanted to have this summer. It was sort of the fringe benefit of the process ;)

The groom benefited with a smokin' hot bride!

EZMONEY
12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Our family tradition is for the whole family to attend Midnight Mass. We've been taking our kids to the Midnight service since they were born. It's always beautiful. In the last few years many churches have gotten away from it and have their last Christmas Eve service at 10pm or 11, but our church still does it at midnight. There have been mornings where I had to get up at 5am to go to work (hospital) after being up so late, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. There are fewer people attending the late service in the last few years.

Since the kids were older we have also begun opening gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas (after Santa came). All my kids will be here (two home from college). We have a big meal with lasagna on Christmas Eve, open gifts, then go to Mass. It's gonna be a really cold Christmas Eve here this year. The high today here was -1!

ANNE our second service of the evening used to be at 11...we go now at 10 because of so many requests.

We have a candlelight Christmas Eve service at 6pm that is part of our tradition. We'll be there again this year. When our kids we younger, we went to a different church that had a midnight service. Although it was harder to do since they were so young, it really was a beautiful service.

We also have a 6 o'clock service for those with little ones.

Nightengaleshane, :) that's good news. I think you are someone the youth could really relate to.

Everyone is welcome at most churches. Go and enjoy the music, if that's why you want to go. I love Christmas hymns and other music as well. One reason I look forward to Advent is because of the music.

My new favorite is "In the Bleak Midwinter" (don't know how I missed this all these years) but I also adore "O Come Immanuel" and "What Child is This".

I don't know that one Tammy...I need to check it out!

I haven't ever gone to church on Christmas Eve, but I think I'm going to this year. My husband works at our church & he is going to be running all 3 services, so I thought I would go & sit in the sound booth with him. Our church doesn't do a Christmas day service though, which wouldn't work because we do family festivities all day anyway. So, anyway, maybe I'm starting a new tradition this year. =)

A great tradition to start! We do have a Christmas Day service but in the 27 years I have gone there I have never gone on Christmas Day...always Christmas Eve

We never miss going to the church. On the Christmas day I and my family go to the church early in the morning.

:carrot: Way cool!

EZMONEY
12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
To me, Christmas isn't Christmas without going to Church. You have to ask yourself what Christmas is really about and its true meaning. For me, it's about the birth of his Christ and his love for us. I appreciate others have different beliefs.

I will be going to a lovely Carol Service at Church on Christmas Eve followed by Midnight Mass. On Christmas morning, I will take my little niece and nephew to the children's mass. It is magical to come together as a community to celebrate the gift of Christ, our families and love for one another.

Merry Christmas to you all when it comes. xxx

You got it ;)

I only go to church when I'm back in Utah with my parents. It's really the only church I feel comfortable in, although there is a nice Lutheran church just a couple of miles from where I live. I know my parents go there when they come to visit me--their old pastor is a member there.

Well Allison I am Lutheran and would be sad if you and your family didn't stop in for a visit :(

Our church doesn't have services on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. We did just have our Christmas potluck yesterday. It was so good! (Can you tell I'm Baptist?) ;)

:)

weddings and funerals are the only things that get me in a church!!!

I'll invite you at EASTER :)

nope.. not going.

I'm not even a christian.. so it doesnt count...lol

We'd love you to stop in to visit :)

I had a pastor who called people who only go to church on Christmas and Easter " Creasters".
I don't know where I would be without the love, fellowship and prayers of My Christian friends . Some of you know I have cancer. The love of God means everything to me. Since being prayed for at my church, I have found the peace of God that passes all understanding.

I keep forgetting to ask if you became a deaconess.

Nope not me, not Christian. I just try to be a good person the whole year ;)

I try too! but I am lousy at it ;) Going to church helps me to understand that I cannot be a person worthy of my Father without Christ to intercede for me.

yep, me too. i was born and raised Congregational (it's part of the United Church of Christ, and open and affirming), and i was even confirmed! now the only religion i can claim is cultural Jewishness... so Happy Chanukah, everyone! :)

church can be a good place to meet people and make friends... it's just never really worked out for me.

There are a lot of activities at church to do but I think the main reason is to go and enjoy the personal relationship with Christ that we can have.

Stepping Out
12-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Our church doesn't have services on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. We did just have our Christmas potluck yesterday. It was so good! (Can you tell I'm Baptist?) ;)Coming out of lurkdom to answer your poll... ;)

I was raised Catholic, and going to Mass on Christmas Day was always part of our celebration. I left the church in my early 20's after I accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord. I've been Baptist for over 20 years, and our church hasn't had a Christmas or Christmas Eve service. I'd been feeling very discouraged this season. I'm getting tired of the world's view of Christmas, and I asked my DH if maybe we could find a church that had a Christmas Eve service. I found out Sunday that our church IS having services on Christmas Eve!

NOW I'm in the Christmas Spirit. :bday2you:

Happy Holidays to all at 3 FC! :gift2: :dreidel: :newyear: :tree:

Smiling_Sara
12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I usually go on Christmas Eve. Will prob this year with the family as well.

EZMONEY
12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
...... I found out Sunday that our church IS having services on Christmas Eve!

NOW I'm in the Christmas Spirit. :bday2you:

Happy Holidays to all at 3 FC! :gift2: :dreidel: :newyear: :tree:

So good to see you Joanne :)

I usually go on Christmas Eve. Will prob this year with the family as well.

Cool :cool:

willow650
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I never get to got to Christmas eve service at my church, because I am in another state visiting my parents and no one in my family attends church any time. :(

EZMONEY
12-25-2008, 11:00 AM
After our family gathering last night we headed to candlelight service. It was a decent crowd...I imagine around 400 folks, Angie played bells at both services and said first service was standing room only...more kids in that one.

My pew had my nephew, step-daughter, daughter and kidnapper, my ex-wife, Angie and myself.

My ex wife sat on one side of me and Angie on the other....although this happens from time to time at church when we sit as a family....but last night Angie leans into my ear.....

and whispers "Looks like we have a Gary sandwich for Christmas"

Merry Christmas everyone!

bargoo
12-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Angie is a better woman than I am, I do NOT share!

EZMONEY
12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Angie is a better woman than I am, I do NOT share!

:D Angie doesn't share me either! And I make darn sure she always knows that :)....

besides, as she says........there is no competition!

angiemo3
12-26-2008, 02:49 AM
I never go to church but have been thinking about looking for a new one

EZMONEY
12-26-2008, 08:40 AM

I hope you find a good one ;)

bargoo
12-26-2008, 10:32 AM

If you live in Santa Clara County, California I can reccomend a great one.

Loriann7
12-27-2008, 07:13 AM
I am a devout Christian, but I do not attend services for "Christmas"... in fact, do some research into the holiday sometime!

EZMONEY
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Loriann, I assume you are referring to pagan rituals from many years ago. Rest assured my family doesn't worship any of those. We honor the day the church has set aside to worship the birth of our Lord and Savior because of who He is.

dizzysoi
12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I only go to church for weddings and funerals and that is way more then enough for me.