Weight Loss Support - Jeans suck!

View Full Version : Jeans suck!

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Or ... how to go from giddy to grumpy in 24 progressively cra**ier steps.

1. Get fed up with your baggy, belted, saggy crotch, unflattering size 14 jeans and hate them so passionately you actually go shopping on a Sunday December 21.

2. Try on your first pair - see that they look hot damn sexy in every way - except for the Grand Canyon at the back waist - AND ........ THEY'RE A FRICKING SIZE 8!

3. Try on enough more to realize you pretty much FIT FRICKING SIZE 8's IN MOST BRANDS/STYLES NOW!

4-23. Proceed to try on the better part of a couple dozen more pairs ... and FIND NOTHING THAT FITS.

24. Leave with your SIZE 8 SELF in those same baggy, belted, saggy crotch, unflattering size 14 jeans that you hate so passionately you actually went shopping on a Sunday December 21.

nods
12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Ha ha! I laughed so hard reading that. I don't mean to laugh at you, I'm really laughing with you. I've SO been there, done that. Pants shopping is literally the worst thing ever! And on December 21st! ARRRRRRGHHHH!

But look on the bright size...discounting the grand canyon problem...you're a size 8!!!!! YEAH!

Hang in there for a few more days. At least you'll get a nice deal at the after Christmas sales for all your hectic troubles.

PhotoChick
12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Aw Julie! :)

I"m laughing with you ... not at you. Or something. ;)

I sympathize. I really do. Just in a different way. My 12s are baggy in the butt and the thighs. But I have that damned tummy fat. So I can't buy a 10 which fits my butt and legs, because I can't get the damned things buttoned w/out feeling cut in half.

So I can be miserable with a tight waist band or uncomfortable with a saggy butt.

It sucks, doesn't it???

river
12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
OMG, that is too funny. I hate shopping for swimsuits even more than jeans.

Anyhow, like Photo, I have the opposite problem. My waist is too big for my butt and legs.

Kudos for braving the stores today, I wouldn't dare.

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I know you're laughing WITH me :) That's what I was going for! Somehow, I seem to have two choices when I get down: (1) Keep it in my head, stay down. (2) Post it on 3FC in all it's ugly glory, and move on happy again :D

PhotoChick, I hear you. Where the he** are all these women that can wear jeans the way they make them???

Pssst, I'm a size 8 now :) Yes, I KNOW I already said that. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now. I'm a size 8 now.

:D

See, now I'm not grumpy anymore. 3FC to the rescuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!

recidivist
12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Jeans? What are jeans? I thought everyone wore sweat pants. ;)

river
Julie, so are you a size 8 now?! CONGRATULATIONS!!! YAY!

PhotoChick
Hey ... wait. Did you say that you're a

SIZE 8

now?

:lol:

ps - congrats. I can't wait to get to an 8 myself!

L144S
12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey, many of us have this problem, mine is not a size 8 one though :)

Try this sight it might give you some help in finding a brand that fits.
www.zafu.com/ (http://www.zafu.com/)
-L

evilwomaniamshe
12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Julie,
I hear ya loud and clear, that was me until I discovered silver brand jeans, they fit me perfectly with just a bit of stretch to them. They are all the rage for teens, but I am ahem a 42 year old teen & I have many pairs, they are not cheap, but they fit great and make you look uber great both coming and going. If you have hips or are a bit curvy, the aiko silvers are the route to go. Narrow hips, any other brand of silver outta do. Next fitting, I'd highly recommend them. I also wear the silver brand shorts and same great fit.

gymlee
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I hate jeans too. No matter what size I seem to be they are always uncomfortable. I wear sweats as much as possible partly because they are comfy and partly because I'm lazy to put outfits together.

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Julie,
I hear ya loud and clear, that was me until I discovered silver brand jeans, they fit me perfectly with just a bit of stretch to them. They are all the rage for teens, but I am ahem a 42 year old teen & I have many pairs, they are not cheap, but they fit great and make you look uber great both coming and going. If you have hips or are a bit curvy, the aiko silvers are the route to go. Narrow hips, any other brand of silver outta do. Next fitting, I'd highly recommend them. I also wear the silver brand shorts and same great fit.

I keep hearing that, so I definitely have to try them (the Aikos). Thanks. I will try to google what stores have them.

kittycat40
12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey... size 8 from 14, pretty wicked cool!!!
:) It's just a matter of time untill you find that fabulous pair and then you can buy 3 pairs!

Marms
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Pants are the worst article of clothing to shop for. The odds that you will find a pair that fits every curve well and is comfortable are slim to none. I swear, men must have it so easy. They just need to find a pair where the waist fits.....no hips or booty to worry about.

evilwomaniamshe
12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Well all mine are aiko silver flares, which flatter a woman with hips and booty. I have a real small waist, so hips and booty fitting jeans was always a nightmare!!! But not anymore/// Make sure you get the aiko with 75% cotton, 25% poly, for a bit of stretch, they sit low on the hips, a belt is needed to prevent plumber butt! Maurices, herbergers, the buckle, ebay etc. all carry the silvers..

Marms
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM
aiko silver? Never heard of it. I'll have to give those a try. I also have a small waist compared to my hips and booty, so they sound like they would fit great!

bargoo
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I would reccommend www.zafu.com (http://www.zafu.com) also. They don't sell jeans but can tell you what jeans to buy for any possible figure.

Schumeany
12-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Julie, you soooo rock. Aren't single digits fun? :)

However, here is my best advice. I have had a very similar problem. Jeans are really hard to find if you are hourglass shaped. Not that I'm complaining about having a narrow waist, but having a huge gap in the waistband is a pain. I have found that the Sonoma Brand at Kohls is pretty good for this problem. I like their regular bootcut jeans -- the ones with actual back pockets that button...not their metro or urban cut ones -- those are not designed for much in the way of curves between waist and hips/thighs. They also come in three different colors of denim, including a nice dark denim that looks really sharp. The Sonoma flair leg cordoroys are also great -- and the boot cut cords are pretty good as well. Bonus -- the jeans and cords at Kohls are CHEAP! $16.99-$19.99 a pair.

Another place I have found jeans is, of all places, Coldwater Creek. They also have nice denim colors, and they don't gap -- at least not much. They are, however, a lot more expensive...I think I got mine for $49.00 on sale, but they are usually $75 or so.

Good luck...Ms. Size 8. :)

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Well all mine are aiko silver flares, which flatter a woman with hips and booty. I have a real small waist, so hips and booty fitting jeans was always a nightmare!!! But not anymore/// Make sure you get the aiko with 75% cotton, 25% poly, for a bit of stretch, they sit low on the hips, a belt is needed to prevent plumber butt! Maurices, herbergers, the buckle, ebay etc. all carry the silvers..

Aaaah, never heard of any of those stores. But I haven't been much for shopping for so many years now .... I see that Macy's has them. I wouldn't mind looking half like that:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=332362&CategoryID=28756

So I looked for those other stores. No Herberger's in the west apparently. Maurice's is only in Northern California. The Buckle has stores 10 or 20 miles from me. But I can hit Macy's :D.

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Julie, you soooo rock. Aren't single digits fun? :)

mmmmmmyup :cool:

However, here is my best advice. I have had a very similar problem. Jeans are really hard to find if you are hourglass shaped. Not that I'm complaining about having a narrow waist, but having a huge gap in the waistband is a pain. I have found that the Sonoma Brand at Kohls is pretty good for this problem. I like their regular bootcut jeans -- the ones with actual back pockets that button...not their metro or urban cut ones -- those are not designed for much in the way of curves between waist and hips/thighs. They also come in three different colors of denim, including a nice dark denim that looks really sharp. The Sonoma flair leg cordoroys are also great -- and the boot cut cords are pretty good as well. Bonus -- the jeans and cords at Kohls are CHEAP! $16.99-$19.99 a pair.

I tried those I think. I definitely am going for the back flap pocket, because although my waist is small and I have that nasty gapping problem, it's due to wide hips, not a big butt. The butt is kinda flat :o I can't remember what the problem was with that particular one. But I'll try them again.

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I would reccommend www.zafu.com (http://www.zafu.com) also. They don't sell jeans but can tell you what jeans to buy for any possible figure.

Bargoo, thanks, that site looks really neat. I was able to take the questionnaire (I tried jeans and bras) but in Firefox I just get a big error page, and in IE it runs and runs and runs and I never get results. I'll figure it out ... looks too neat to pass up.

evilwomaniamshe
12-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Jules,
Yup those are the jeans, macy's huh? The closest (macys) is about 4 hrs away for me. FYI, They also have the flap back pockets (which actually help you build a booty) if you weren't blessed with one. You'll see many varieties to pick from. My hubby bought me 2 new pairs of Aiko's last christmas, he loves them on me! They aren't sized as 8's though, they go by waist sizing such as 29 and 33 length etc. Hope you love them as much as I do.

luvja
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I hear you! You are well aware of my frustrations with jeans! But SIZE 8.... You go girl :yay:

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I hear you! You are well aware of my frustrations with jeans! But SIZE 8.... You go girl :yay:

Oh yeah, I know your thread too. Man, there's a ton of us at each end of the spectrum, it shouldn't be so hard :devil:

BarbPA
12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey Julie...Did you say you are a SIZE 8!?!?!??!! YIPPEEE!!!!!

:carrot::carrot:

shcirerf
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
You might check out fortwestern.com

The Cruel Girl and Rockies are my favorite brands. Come in several different styles and rises, regular or stretch. I've never had a gapping in the back problem with these brands.

You can find them in western wear stores or a lot of Farm supply stores carry them.

Sometimes I find mens jeans fit better too. It takes a little longer to figure out what size you need, but worth it.

jahjah1223
12-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Wohooo! we're just about the same size! And i have a problem with my butt crack showing every time i bend over. So they are still huge from the back. lol

SoulMeetsBody
12-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I sympathize. I really do. Just in a different way. My 12s are baggy in the butt and the thighs. But I have that damned tummy fat. So I can't buy a 10 which fits my butt and legs, because I can't get the damned things buttoned w/out feeling cut in half.

Wow. Same problem. Size and everything. :hug:

Oh and Julie, happens to me too. Basically everytime I go pants shopping :^:
But congrats on the size change!!

Thighs Be Gone
12-22-2008, 12:51 AM
JULIE--YAHOO, a size 8! How happy that must make you. Well, as far as the Grand Canyon goes--I have problems with big ole gaps too in the waistband. I like Paris Blues (Kohls, Jr. Dept) and I like Lee dress jeans. I find them at JC PENNEY. They have no pockets in the back and are cut like slacks. I totally want you to get a pair of pants you like and feel good in. If all else fails, have the friggin' things altered! Have fun. Yay! I'm so proud for you.

Schumeany
12-22-2008, 02:39 AM
I forgot to mention Lee...some of their jeans do fit me well. After reading this thread, however, I am all about going over to Macy's or the Buckle (They have both at the mall near my house...now if I just didn't have a foot of snow outside...) and trying on some of the Silver Aikos. Those are some smokin' jeans. :)

Pandora123a
12-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Size 8! Who cares about jeans!

(Well, actually I'm thrilled with my size 16 and I care as well.)

Chico's works for me, jeans are on sale now. They have three different shapes, each is slightly modified and I found yesterday that the cuts are really different!

One has a wider waist and narrower thighs etc.

Jacquie668
12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
lol I'm nowhere near a size 8, but apparently I'm short (i had no idea for some reason as I thought I was average) and with my big hips and thunder thighs I basically have a hard time finding something that fits. I really feel for the shorter girls out there...i bet they have a heck of a time finding the right length. I thought "average" was for me, but my inseam is a lot shorter than I thought. So, oh well lol...

So, my new pair of sexy jeans are low rise *which I suggest for all us big hip ladies* and a size 26/28. They are snug where they need to be, but the length is so long that I have to fold them up. Not to mention they look a bit like bell bottoms because of how my body works lol.

My old pair of jeans were so bad...I can literally pull them up to my boobs. O.o

FB
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey Miss Size 8!

Try some Lucky Jeans while you're at Macys. I believe they're on sale right now. Luckys fit me incredibly beautifully, several pairs I recently bought have a little belt thingy in the back that would help with the gapping problem.

JamieJo
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Silvers all the way!!! Buy them snug cuze they stretch. I won't even buy another brand!!! :)

Tomato
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I really feel for the shorter girls out there...i bet they have a heck of a time finding the right length.

Unlike you, I really feel for the taller gals out there. 32" inseam is too short for me and it is nearly impossible to find anything longer. Pants too long can be shortened but pants too short cannot be extended.

Otherwise, I love shopping for jeans. There are some pairs that are ridiculously spacious at hips or the waist is too narrow/too wide for that size, but other than that, really my only issue is the length. I love wearing jeans and no matter what store I am in, I always check out the jeans. I wish we had the same selection in Canada as you have in the US. I won't buy jeans online because it is not worth it (for me) - I hate the hassle with the returns plus if the merchandise comes from the US we lose a lot of money on it (if it has to be returned).

JulieJ08
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Miss Size 8!

Try some Lucky Jeans while you're at Macys. I believe they're on sale right now. Luckys fit me incredibly beautifully, several pairs I recently bought have a little belt thingy in the back that would help with the gapping problem.

Last night my niece told me to try Lucky's too :)

JulieJ08
12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I forgot to mention Lee...some of their jeans do fit me well. After reading this thread, however, I am all about going over to Macy's or the Buckle (They have both at the mall near my house...now if I just didn't have a foot of snow outside...) and trying on some of the Silver Aikos. Those are some smokin' jeans. :)

LOL, I keep looking at that link too. It makes my monitor smoke just a little ;)

Shannon in ATL
12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Julie - Size 8! Woo hoo!

Shopping for jeans is horrible... I currently have two pairs, neither of which fit right... I work across from a Macy's - I may have to check out those Silver Aikos after the holidays...

justformenow1
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
First of all congratulations on your weight loss, wow what an accomplishment!
Second I really was laughing out loud because I remeber bursting out in tears the last time I was shopping for jeans not to long ago. That was the defining point for me too, to make the change. I was absolutely boo hooing behind the dressing room door in Lane Bryant. OMG
Jeans do suck! :D

deathnotronic
12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, jeans are the worst. I HATE wearing them. If I don't have to, I won't. Someone needs to invent something else for everyone to wear...

bargoo
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Bargoo, thanks, that site looks really neat. I was able to take the questionnaire (I tried jeans and bras) but in Firefox I just get a big error page, and in IE it runs and runs and runs and I never get results. I'll figure it out ... looks too neat to pass up.

I had trouble with that site yesterday but tried it again today and it worked perfectly. They found 12 pairs of jeans for me, different brands and different prices, I reccommend this site to everyone. Try it www.zafu.com (http://www.zafu.com)
and , no, I don't work for zafu.

Jacquie668
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Unlike you, I really feel for the taller gals out there. 32" inseam is too short for me and it is nearly impossible to find anything longer. Pants too long can be shortened but pants too short cannot be extended.

LOL I'll rephrase since I left out the talls. I meant that I thought my height was average, but apparently my inseam length is considered short and not average.

That is not to say that I don't FEEL for people who are tall and/or short. My comment was in reflection to my own experience. Meaning, I'm not tall or even average apparently 27-28 inches is my inseam. So all the "average" pants I purchased are too long.

My comment wasn't intended to offend tall people is my point. ;)

JulieJ08
12-22-2008, 12:51 PM

I'm gonna take a chance and speak for everyone ... none taken! No reason to.

We're an equal opportunity jeans suck thread ;)

Tomato
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Jacquie, no offense taken - my post was a bit of 'tongue in cheek' although I did not add any emoticons to make it clear. It's just one of my pet peeves that pants are never long enough. You have no idea how many perfectly fitting jeans I had to return back to the rack (over the years) because their only flaw was that they were too short.

Jacquie668
12-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Jacquie, no offense taken - my post was a bit of 'tongue in cheek' although I did not add any emoticons to make it clear. It's just one of my pet peeves that pants are never long enough. You have no idea how many perfectly fitting jeans I had to return back to the rack (over the years) because their only flaw was that they were too short.

You should have heard my cursing when I measured my inseam and went @^!%!^&(#$( lol...I was like "I'm not even average? No wonder my fat is squished on my frame!" lol

Maybe what we need is a personal clothes designer to make things fit. Most of the time I had to return pants because of the hips fit. Usually that is what gets it. Sliding on the pants all excited to feel then catch on my fat hips. GRRRR!

lol

At least now there are plenty of online shopping opportunities. Even in the last 5 years plus size clothing has made leaps and bounds with some style. I was thrilled to be able to get Old Navy Plus Size clothing. I mean the jeans fit, but they are too long haha. I'll take them over the ones that go up to my boobs though. Those suck.

Try Old Navy if you need talls. I saw they had a nice selection of affordable jeans, but plus size is only available online for those that need the plus. Talls as well and short...

daniela
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Nice job Julie!!! And I too share your frustrations. Why did I think it would be okay to go jean shopping today at lunch at Old Navy?!?!?

ALL my pants are to big I was able to find a nice pair of jeans at Target, I think they are Mossimo, nice fit and no gap in the butt area. They are kinda dressy, dark, wide leg and I'm looking for a more everyday jean. Think I'll look into the Silver and Lucky brands recommended by others.