Weight Loss Support - Quotes that motivate and inspire you!

gymlee
12-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Hey ladies!

I just wanted to start a thread where everyone can come and post or find quotes that inspire and motivate them. This all started when Photochick posted a quote about success being a choice and I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a thread where we can come and exchange quotes that personally fuel our fires so we can share them with others who may not have heard them in hopes of finding another way to support each other when we're having a hard day or we need that extra booste to get that work out in. I'd love to hear all your guys' motivational and inspirational quotes! I have so many that I personally love but I'll post out just 2 to start out with!

This is one I wrote back in 2006: " Measure your success by sweat on your shirt. The effort you put in is what will get you where you want to go."

And another one I love especially for the journey we are all on with our weight loss I think this one is very appropo: " Start what is necessary, then the possible and suddenly you are going to do impossible."
Author Unknown

Both of these you can find on a website called motivateus.com It's an excellent website and a great place to find a little bit of extra encouragement/consolation on the days you need it! :)

JackieRn
12-21-2008, 02:41 AM
This season on BL, they kept playing that part when Jillian said something to the effect of "unless you puke, faint, or die, do not stop" I think thats pretty inspiring.

gymlee
12-21-2008, 02:55 AM
You were close. Very close. It was "unless you faint, puke or die, KEEP WALKING!" haha I love her! She's like my idol. I love how you brought her up. I actually put another quote up in another thread of her's from TBL when she was talking to a contestant named Shellay. She said "But to have more, you gotta give more. You gotta give more. I need more. You're one breath away from being anything you want to be. That one breath is a choice, choose it. Make a different choice. Tell a different story." Not as intense as the other one with the puking dying but just as powerful.

Pandora123a
12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
If hunger is not the problem then food is not the solution.

If you trip down a stair you don't throw yourself down the whole flight.

Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard. Choose your hard.

If you do what you always did you will get what you always got.

Most of these are from here! I know I haven't quoted them all exactly right, and there are more that I think about, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately. The first especially I remind myself a lot!

Love this thread

Vahla
12-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I love the Jillian quotes, I can always imagine her shouting them when I excercise.

One of my favourite quotes is still "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels"

Glory87
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I always liked the one in my sig (obviously, heh).

Thighs Be Gone
12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I like the "pick your hard" comment as mentioned above. I recently shared it with a friend that asked me about my weightloss. She is a sweetheart and I so badly want her to succeed.

I also love Schumeanys, "Why yes, those are size 4 jeans hugging my.." For some reason, that just cracks me up.

JulieJ08
12-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Some of my favorites:

Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much.- Michael Pollan

k8-eee
TO DO LIST: Lose one pound. Keep it off.
Repeat.

SusanB
You can stick with that story all the way to 300 lbs if it means that much to you.

Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard. Choose your hard.

kaplods
It's not a moral issue - Unless you're eating people - nothing you can eat can make you "bad."

luvja
If you don't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best.

Show me your friends and I will show you your future.

gymlee
12-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Pandora123a Those are good ones! I really think the "pick your hard" one really ressonates with me right now especially with the other thread I have going.

Vahla I agree I love Jillian quotes as well. I actually have her radio show on right now! haha

Glory87 I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE that quote in your sig! It's amazing!

Thighs Be Gone I love the one Schumeanys sig too!

RangerChic
12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Jillian is a huge motivator for me as well. I like Bob as well, but Jill just seems to give me that extra push.

"Achieve weight-loss success, one positive thought at a time"

"This is where it matters the most. This is where lives are made, in these moments when you can choose wheather or not to say 'I can't' or 'I can.' It is a choice that will either make or break you for life."

"Losing weight is not about willpower--it's about moments of bravado, like the moment when you ask your waiter to take the bread away from the table right away."

(all Jillian quotes)

jenguin
12-22-2008, 01:25 AM
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

He wrote this in reference to running a marathon, where it definitely applies, but I think it can apply to so many areas of life as well, including starting a weight loss plan or new exercise regimen.

KitgetsFit
12-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the great quotes, everyone!

CruiseCAT
12-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I love when I get the message I need to hear; this was in today's paper:

It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.

Winston Churchill

When I'm allowed to have a signature this will be in it.

AngelMae
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I am a big Jillian fan too!

One of my faves is..."Without commitment, you wont be able to acheive the goals you truly desire."

gymlee
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow great quotes ladies!!!

I just read this one and thought it was pretty good: " There's no such thing as perfection. But, in striving for perfection, we can achieve excellence."
Vince Lombardi

Keep adding to this list I'd love to hear from everyone!!

choirgirlhotel
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I love what Oprah said one time: "just because you ate one Oreo cookie doesn't mean you have to eat the whole box"

And my favorite from the TV show Absolutely Fabulous:
Eddie: I'm SO FAT!!!
Saffie: Look, mum. All you've got to do is eat less and take a bit of exercise.
Eddie: Oh sweetie, if it was THAT easy, EVERYONE would be doing it!!

~CGH~

inspired by you
12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I also love Schumeanys, "Why yes, those are size 4 jeans hugging my.." For some reason, that just cracks me up.

Me too, and like others I was a little disappointed when it disappeared for a while. Too cute! ;)

x0me880x
12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Usually quotes mean nothing to me. They don't inspire me, AT ALL. I don't understand how they will help someone. However I really like,

It really just makes you think, and anyone who has struggled with there weight can say that it is completly true.

xdominic89x
12-23-2008, 08:15 PM
My favorite quote, which applies to everything including weight loss, was said by I believe Napoleon:
"Ambition is never content, even on the summit of greatness."

Janis427
12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
" If you really want to lose, you'll find a way, and if you dont, you'll find an excuse"

" The future is not some place we are going, but one we create. The paths are not found, but made and the activity of making them, changes the maker and the destination"

gymlee
01-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Sorry I haven't checked in on this thread in a while guys. These are some really good quotes. I especially like the one by Napoleon. I got a new one for us: " The nose of the Bulldog is slanted back, so that he can still breathe without ever letting go."
Winston Churchill

Basically I think this one is a great one for anything that requires persistence because to me, never letting go is about being persistent, and with weight loss especially we need to make sure we stay persistent because keeping on keepin on is what ultimately gets us to our goals and keeps us maintaining once we hit our goals. :)

MissVitality
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life.
The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip."

Pretty hard-hitting but sometimes that is what is required!

sweetnsassyfied
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
These 2 come from our very Meg...

"If you want it, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse."

"Make THE Effort not an Excuse."

This one I have kept from the very beginning...

"Never give up what you want Most for what you want at the Moment."

"If it's going to Be, It's up to Me."

And this one from Glory...

"My hand, My Mouth."

willow650
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
One I like to keep in mind is "I am more than I know myself to be" i got this quote from a friend who was recently killed in a motorcycle accident. it was always in her sig line on a forum we both were on and now its on memorial patch that I have for her.
and one not so motivating is "I am not totally useless, I can always serve as a bad example"...lol

Sweetcaroline
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Progress Not Perfection

MissVitality
01-04-2009, 08:55 AM
One I like to keep in mind is "I am more than I know myself to be" i got this quote from a friend who was recently killed in a motorcycle accident. it was always in her sig line on a forum we both were on and now its on memorial patch that I have for her.

I really like that one Willow - and so sorry you lost your friend :hug:

Janis427
01-04-2009, 09:04 AM
The pain of disipline is better than the pain of regret

Ponytail
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
"To thine ownself be true."

Willow, I really like your friends quote too. Thank you. My sympathy...may her memories bring you happiness.

gymlee
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice ones guys!! I love em! Sorry about your loss Willow! :hug:

"Feel the fear, do it anyway." That is one I actually have tattooed on my foot because it was always my mantra in gymnastics when going for a new skill or combination or ones that would give me trouble and took some pretty nasty falls on but had to continue doing. I think it really resonnates for people who have a lot of fears attached to their weight loss like myself. Basically the meaning behind it is that you can be as scared as you want about whatever it is you're afraid of because fear is a natural thing but go for it anyway and face that fear and it just goes to show you how strong you are. To me, every moment that do something that you're afraid of and you push through that fear, you grow and develop just a little more. And that's all we can really hope for is to continue to grow and better ourselves day in and day out. :)

kcontreras
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I just wanted to say that all of these quotes are amazing! Very inspiring to me! :)

georgiad
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
"Life isn't about enjoying yourself. It's about creating yourself."

gymlee
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I just wanted to say that all of these quotes are amazing! Very inspiring to me! :)

Yay!!! I'm so glad!! :)

Here's another one for you guys. I love this one! " You'll never know how high you can go, until you've been called to rise."

peccavi
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
From a book I was reading recently.. sometimes I chant it in my head when I have a craving or am trying to exercise..

"I am not unequal to the task at hand!"

Windchime
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is one that a counselor gave me years ago. My situation wasn't related to weight loss, but to feeling discouraged in general:

"Any man can work when every stroke of his hands brings down the fruit rattling from the tree....but to labor in season and out of season, under every discouragement....that requires a heroism which is transcendent." -Henry Ward Beecher

I like the idea that doing something beyond the easy and mundane and average is a sort of heroism, and that's why I find that quote inspirational.