Weight Loss Support - Hey.Question About Safe Weight Loss

finallyfree
12-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi, I'm not sure where to ask this.

What is a safe amount of weight loss in 6 months? I am around 260 now, what is the max I could lose, completely safely?

Thanks,
Cassey.

PhotoChick
12-21-2008, 12:57 AM
It really depends on a whole lot of factors. The best guideline I've seen say you should expect to lose on average about 1% of your bodyweight per week. When you first start, you might lose more than that due to cutting back on sodium and losing more water weight. But you might also lose more slowly than that - a lot of people do.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people lose in chunks. Instead of having a steady per-week weight loss, they lose 5lbs here, 3lbs there, 6lbs a little later.

So it's just really variable. Plan for about 1% a week, but don't be disappointed if you don't get there.

gymlee
12-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Well, I've heard that as long as you're not starving yourself (not going below 1200 cals a day) and you're getting enough nutrients and you're not working out too crazy, then you can lose as much as will come off. Take the people on the show The Biggest Loser for example. Over the course of the season which is usually 6-7months long they can lose like 100lbs or something crazy like that. Obviously they are monitored closely by a physician as they do it but it's not completely unhealthy. But I would honestly aim for no more than 1-3 pounds a weeks. It's a good steady weight loss and you're not likely to have any adverse affects because you should be working out within reason and eating enough to where you don't put your body into starvation mode.

I know there are a lot of different ways to go about losing weight but at the end of the day it boils down to calories in and calories out. And for ever 3500 calories it equals 1 pound. So you can basically do the math to figure out how much you want to lose in a week and eating and working out accordingly. You can conceivably lose as much as you want but it would require long hours in the gym and strict diet by keeping yourself at a specific calorie intake which might make you more apt to falling off the wagon. Sorry for the long dissertation but I wanted to make sure you got a basic understanding of it. But honestly, I wouldn't shoot for more than 1-3 pounds a week or like no more than 12 pounds a month. If it happens that you lose more or less, then go with it. You're body knows what it's doing. I would also suggest making sure your doctor knows whats going on and they can definitely counsel you better and point you in the direction you should be going for your body. I know it's a lot but let any of us know if you need anymore help! :)

Pandora123a
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Finallyfree,

Age, activity level, and previous dieting history all factor in. (Not to mention height and gender, men lose faster, if you are taller you have a lower fat percentage than a smaller person at the same weight.)

Your commitment and plan also factor in. The beginning is almost always faster than the end.

Instead of setting a time related goal, how about just focusing on being significantly smaller in six months? I'd guess that in that period with a reasonable weight loss plan that you stuck to you would easily lose 30-50 pounds...some lose more.

BarbPA
12-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Cassey - Welcome to 3FC. :wave: As others have said, everyone is different. You will want to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life, you don't want to shock your body into losing for 6 months and then gain it back. Educate yourself on healthy eating and exercise. There are many, many helpful people here. I've been losing steadily for the past 5 months and I'm down 72 pounds. I did that by hard, yet sensible work. I hired a personal trainer who helped me get on a smart path. I do weight training 3x a week and cardio 7x a week. I log ALL of my food using Fitday.com (one of several resources out there). I eat 1600-1800 calories per day. I also started at a higher weight than you are. That's just the basics of my story....everyone has a different experience. It's important to lose weight in a healthy way and make changes to sustain you for life. I have so many people ask me "my secret". No secret...just hard work and thinking smart.

Good Luck! :)

sjm1027
12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I have lost 93 pounds in 7.5 months. I believe it's right for me because I am exercising so much. I seem to lose weight in chunks now. I go 2 weeks at the same weight and all of a sudden I lose 6 to 7 pounds in 1 weekend. Then 1 week the same weight and I lose 5 pounds... then maybe 3 weeks the same and I lose 5 pounds in a weekend... weird but thats how I have been losing. The trick is to not give up when you don't have a weight loss in 2 weeks... it gets very frustrating... hang in there and your body will pick up the slack.
Good Luck
Steve

Hi, I'm not sure where to ask this.

What is a safe amount of weight loss in 6 months? I am around 260 now, what is the max I could lose, completely safely?

Thanks,
Cassey.

Thighs Be Gone
12-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I have lost 60 pounds+ in six months. I didn't have a trainer or gym membership or anything other than a pair of good shoes and a decent grocery store to shop in and of course, 3FC as soon as I found them.

Everything I have done has been sensible and healthy. I wouldn't do it any other way. There is lots of knowledge here from women that have been around the world and back with weight loss.

kiki100
12-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I've lost 40 lbs in 3 months with no more excercise than walking the kids to and from school. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day has been very helpful to me. I am getting a Wii fit for Xmas so I'm going to introduce excercise to keep the weight coming off.

But like everyone has said...results vary on the individual and the more you have to loose the more likely it will come off quicker in the beginning.

Congrats on making to choice to find a healthier you! You can do it!

Schumeany
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Photochick's advice of aiming for around 1% of your body weight a week is a good one -- that is what most reputable weight loss sites/clinics will tell you is safe unless you are under a physician's care during the process. In my first month, I lost a lot more than that -- water weight, etc., but after that it was pretty steady at the 1% mark. Steady, that is, in the sense that over a month I averaged about 1% a week, but like every one else said, it often comes off in chunks, stalls, another chunk, etc. Just keep at it, even if you stall for a while or even plateau for a few weeks, drink plenty of water, don't go under 1200 calories a day (This is the absolute lowest. It is a better idea to go out to a good calories calculating site and figure out your base metabolic rate for your height/age/weight and then subtract 1000 calories from that each day to get a 2 lb. a week goal -- for me this was around 1500 calories a day.), get some moderate cardio exercise and some strength training, MAKE SURE you get plenty of nutrient dense food, and keep your protein levels high to build up the lean muscle mass to raise your metabolism and also to keep you feeling "fuller" since it will help regulate your blood sugar. For the average person, that is a "safe" weight loss of +-10 pounds a month...a little more if you start a little higher...so in 6 months you could concievably lose 60lbs. or so...even a little more. However, that said, everyone loses weight at different paces...so don't get frustrated if it doesn't come off that fast...in this process slow and steady wins the race. Just keep chugging along. This is a change for LIFE...not a temporary fix. A few extra months, over the course of your life, is a blink of the eye.