Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #16  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

recidivist - Mostly it's up to my knees but we have a lot of drifts which are higher. We're by the river, but we seem to be getting more snow here than even some of our friends in the hills.

We just got sick of being indoors so we risked it and drove to Freddie's - quite a hairy ride but we got all our Christmas groceries. The worst part was getting down our long driveway. I love my little Forester . It's 10 years old but keeps on truckin'.

Last edited by penpal; 12-22-2008 at 07:47 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #17  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Default Marie's Ski Season is Over - Before it Began :(

Hi all, I have a dr. note for getting my season pass $$$ back as there is no skiing for the foreseeable future. And as Penny has mentioned, sno is plentiful in Oregon again this year. They're scheduling an MRI, then follow-up appointment. So I'll know more eventually. For now, I'll keep on the treadmill and walking the doggies with DH (not steady enough by myself). I was perusing the met goals thread and a chickie described her journey with a severe knee injury. She said she punished her upper body/arms. So I think that will be the next step. DH is going to set up the weigh set after Christmas so I can improvise a rowing motion to get a bit more cardio. Anyway, it's a sad day. The ski area also said since DH's season ticket hadn't been processed yet, we can sell it and they'll transfer it for a $35 fee. so it's going in our local paper, craigslist, and a local online ad. We're selling it for what we paid (1/2 the price of the current price). So hopefully we won't be out any money at all.

Penny, the picture is awesome and DH loved it too. BTW, we'll probably be up in your neck of the woods sometime in January. Would you be able to meet for lunch in Woodburn??? I'm glad you got out to Freddies and now have a Christmas dinner. When is DS's scheduled flight? The weather is supposed to calm for tomorrow. Our trip over the mountain to Medford was very hairy this morning. That's why DH had to take the day off - I wasn't driving it.

mazza, enjoy "cheesing" on Christmas. I'm planning on playing non-stop with my beloved grandson. I bought him Thomas the Train set and we're going to play trains.

recidivist, you are so right about the honest of online friends. I love the anonymity but then when I've connected with Penny - it was awesome. But we'd certainly become friends way before meeting. 3FC is a godsend as I'm pretty sure I'd be losing the battle without this support.

disgruntled, "baby it's cold outside". I love that saying/song. Yes, it's freezing out here. But unlike auntie whose house is freezing as well (which I understand if I had oil heat) my house is in the upper 70's. Just toasy around the fire, watching the Packer play the Bears.

Food is right on target today - no exercise other than lots of walking through Costco and parking i the farthest spot from the entrance. I'd hoped to walk the doggies, but my knee is sore from being prodded and Costco-ing without the brace.

I work tomorrow and then am off the rest of the week.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Quote:
DH is going to set up the weigh set after Christmas so I can improvise a rowing motion to get a bit more cardio.
Marie, rowing is a great idea. I'd not thougth of anything like that. If I could get a second stretchie band, I could rig up a way to do a rowing motion too. I have some weights, but my shoulders are so messed up, there's not much I can do with them, but rowing doesn't involve lifting motion, so that might work. Thanks for the idea.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #19  
Brit Chick

Marie - I'm sorry to hear you've had to give up your beloved skiing for this season. I hope the MRI doesn't show anything drastic. Hopefully your knee will heal enough for you to go skiing later in the season. Goodness knows there must be plenty of snow! I'm sending healing thoughts your way. I'm glad you and your DH enjoyed the photo. I'd love to get together with you when you are up this way in January. Please keep me posted.

Some friends are driving down from Seattle to visit us today. We tried to talk them out of it as it's a zoo on the roads, but they're determined to come. He does lots of driving for his job (he doesn't fly because of claustrophobia) and has to travel extensively all year. So we're hoping they make it here without any problems. Our DS is going to try to get on a flight tonight out of Boise as we're expecting another 4"-8" of new snow tomorrow and his original flight is early tomorrow morning. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it works out ok.

Last edited by penpal; 12-23-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #20  
Lifelong Journey Member

Penny, my thoughts are with your son and friends as they travel through this weather mess. My DS1 is supposed to drive up from Reno tomorrow afternoon. That terrifies me but I can't talk him out of it.

I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. I tried to increase the speed by .1 mph but it didn't work so hot, so I took it back down to 3.0. My knee can handle that as long as I use the hand rails on the treadmill for perfect balance. Only had a couple jolts of pain. Dr. didn't tell me I couldn't do that and I admitted how much I was walking. DH and I will take the doggies out this afternoon after work for about a mile.

recidivist, it really wasn't my idea, it was amanda from the reached goal area. I'm glad that might work for you. Stretchie bands are the coolest invention. Good luck with trying it. I think one band looped under your feet, sitting on the floor or even on a chair would work.

Food is on track and I made the big decision. I will up my cals to 1900 one day per week. I will do this Thursday (can't help loving Christmas) as this past weekend's day and then this coming Sunday. Probably all Sunday's from that point on. Amazing that took 5 days to contemplate. I'm scared of falling off the wagon with that tiny nudge but I do need to learn to not be totally black and white.

Take care everyone.
Marie

Carol, if you're out there somewhere, I sure hope you and your family are doing ok.

Last edited by Marie; 12-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Brrr, it's cold in my office! My little space heater is doing its best, but my feet and fingers are still cold. I'm off between Wednesday and Jan. 5 , so I'm trying to have as little as possible that I'll have to work on during the break.

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that, due to all the storms this year, my mom and Grandma have canceled our Las Vegas trip. The good news is that now I can spend a few more vacation days at home, sleeping and puttering around. I'll go to Ohio next weekend, and spend next week with my folks there. I'm sorry that I won't see Grandma and some of the other older relatives out West, but I'm nearly giddy at the prospect of four whole days to myself.

Marie, you're dealing with your knee issues with the right frame of mind, good for you . I love your dedication and focus.

Penny, I hope that your friends and loved ones can still make it to your house. Maybe they should borrow Marie's dogs and mush their way through the snow...

I'm have a backlog of chores and unpacking to do on my free days this week, but I also want to do some brainwork to get out of this sluggish rut I've been in. I broke down and bought Oprah's magazine, so I can read her article on backsliding and get inspired. A co-worker gave me a lovely journal, so I will use it to have a conversation with myslef over the next few weeks. And I'm going to download updates onto my Blackberry, so that it will be easier to check in even when I don't have much access to computers (like next week, when I'm at my mom's).

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #22  
=D

People are going crazy today with shopping. It kinda scares me a little bit.
I hope the weather calms down soon ..it's kinda all over the place.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #23  
Lifelong Journey Member

Judy, I have to tell you about the most wonderful office friend - the heated footrest. I bought one from buyonlinenow.com for $38 and my feet (therefore the rest of my body) are no longer freezing. BTW, it was free shipping and I got it in 2 days. You can't imagine how much better work is without shivering!!!! Enjoy your puttering days. I hope you have some fun people time on christmas though. If not, you know you're in our thoughts.

Well, work day is basically done. YEAH!!!! 5 days off. I do like the sound of that.
Marie
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! I've been so busy, I haven't had much computer time, and I shouldn't be on here now either. I'm eating so bad, and haven't weighed in- oh it's not good. But I will get back on track after all the hoo-ha's done.

I probably won't get a chance to catch up tomorrow either, so I just wanted to pop in quick and wish everyone happy holidays!! I hope all the visits work out, and Marie, I hope your knee recovers quickly!

Stay safe and warm, everyone! Merry Christmas!!!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #25  
Brit Chick

Our DS managed to get on as a standby on a flight yesterday and arrived ok. It was a very hairy ride to the airport and back - it took us 3.5 hrs. round trip instead of 1 hr. but we're so glad he's here for Christmas.

I wanted to pop in and wish everyone happy holidays and a very Merry Christmas

Last edited by penpal; 12-24-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #26  

Hello to everyone from the other site that got to long. Well somehow I forgot my pw etc. and couldn't get on here for weeks. Thank goodness even some stress that I was able to find my way again. Welcome to all the newbies this gang is great and not one yah want to lose. Lose wt. not connections to help us get there. Oh well the kids are in town from HI and it is wonderful. The little guy so darn cute and we'll have to get there during the year. Oh break my heart! Anyways I baked lots of cookies but not until closer to the holiday that seemed to help with consuming a few less. Exercising at the gym no not happening too busy lately. But now on vac. til the 5th so no excuse now. I have been making and selling some of my jewelry that kept me quite busy on top of the holiday, job and shopping. But it will all slow down now I have one more necklace to do today before my daughter arrives at 5 or maybe I will wait until she arrives give her the makings in a wrapped box and let her be part of designing it all. This is a style she requested while we shopped together at an art show. Well thats about it just crazy we spend so many hrs. days etc being so busy and in a few short hrs. it over huh? Well can't say there will be dieting today the menu isn't going towards that okay??? But there is time for that starting next monday for sure. Marie your bread oh honey so sorry. I made 4 batches of our polish christmas eve bread but next year decided to only make 2 batches. Its just way to much hassle people will get less but enjoy what they get it will have to do. Well good luck to all hope santa was great to everyone one and enjoy the rest of your holiday. My family is all taking a nap..... I am going to wrap those beads.
Now I will be in touch and I didn't reach my christmas goal but guess Easter will have to do and get started soon like I said monday.... Journal , scale, gym.....
Carol
cacmsc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #27  
Lifelong Journey Member

Default Merry Christmas!!!!

Penny, I'm so glad that your son made it. My DS1 had no trouble from Reno to here - California really knows how to clean snow off the roads. Only the Oregon roads were trecherous. So we were all together and it's been wonderful!!!

Carol, long time, my chickie friend. I'm so glad you're back with us. I was getting a tad worried that something bad had happened. Life happening is just fine. I'm glad your HI family arrived safely and all is good.

Auntie, I believe all dieters that celebrate a holiday season have to climb back on the wagon again. So you're in good company.

For me, food today will be whatever I want. Luckily I don't want much other than someone gave me dark chocolate Moose Munch and I have trouble resisting it.

BTW, I just sold DH's ski season pass for what we paid for it and got the paypal receipt a little bit ago. So ski season is truly over, but it didn't cost DH and me $500 in season pass losses. So that is good!

All of my wonderful, SUPPORTIVE friends here, have the most blessed, loving, healthy Christmas ever. You all mean a ton to me!
Marie
Old 12-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #28  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited by girlieyorkie; 12-25-2008 at 04:26 PM.
girlieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Merry Christmas!

I'm having a great day at home, puttering, cooking, and connecting on the phone or texting.

Carol, it's so good to hear from you! I see you've changed your "name" again, but your voice is very recognizable. I bet you're having a wonderful time with your family.

Hi, Elyn! I hope you've been doing well.

Penny, you're son made it, yaaay!

Marie, thanks for the kind words...it's really odd how well I feel I know all of you, even though Penny's the only one I've met, and just briefly. I'm looking forward to progressing a lot faster in '09, along with Recidivist, Mariana, Auntie and all you other wonderful ladies.

judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

And after all the work, it's over in a flash...

I hope everyone's had a great Christmas! We had a very messy day yesterday and all schedules were thrown out the window. DH was off to work by 3 am in the freezing rain, which caused a lot of accidents. Luckily, he wasn't in one, but he was delayed for hours and hours. He missed one visit, and we had to reschedule another, which means there's still more bad eating to come... Today went well, got to spend most of the day with the little nephews and niece, and took lots of pictures. Now if only I would get them organized! Naturally, I ate terribly, but I'm not even going to address that anymore until New Year's. That's just the way it is right now, stupid as it may be.

Penny, so glad your DS made it safely! The weather everywhere has been so crazy!

Carol, nice to see you back! Glad you're getting to visit with your family. That's really what it's all about...

Marie, glad your DS made it, too! I find it odd that California knows what to do about messy roads, but Pennsylvania seems to have a problem with it. Shouldn't we be a bit more experienced by now? LOL! Maybe I'll catch up with the wagon before it gets too far away, since it may be in a ditch on the side of the road! Good luck with that Moose Munch, mmmmm... And congrats on getting your ski pass money back!

Elyn, hi, hope you're doing well!

Judy, sounds like you've had a nice peaceful day! I, too, am looking forward to making better progress in '09, and we can all do it together!

Mariana, you're already halfway through the "day after" - hope you had a good one and you don't have to work! I'm still working on deciding whether I'm going out in it tomorrow, but it's likely that I won't want to miss a good sale...

Better get to bed... Have a great day, all!

auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote