General chatter - text annoyance

View Full Version : text annoyance

Operator265
12-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I am a grammar/spelling/language snob. I admit it. There seems to be a lot of us here. So I wonder, how many others hate texting due to improper use of spelling and punctuation? I'm very slow because I want everything entered properly.:snail:

I had to get the more expensive model cell phone in order to have a QWERTY keyboard. I couldn't stand the number pad. Also, even with the QWERTY, I get irritable due to using the function button and then trying to find punctuation marks that aren't where they would be on a regular keyboard.:headache:

BTW, as a side note, there is supposed to be two spaces after a period before starting a new sentence. Why in the **** I care about that is beyond me.:shrug:

So, does anyone here share my bizarre form of OCD with texting? Will I ever be able to adjust to the new English of the 20th Century? Please share.:^:

mandalinn82
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
BTW, as a side note, there is supposed to be two spaces after a period before starting a new sentence. Why in the **** I care about that is beyond me.

This actually isn't technically true anymore. Current standards for typing call for either 1 or 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. Previously, two spaces were necessary for typewriters because they used non-proportional fonts and it wasn't apparent when a sentence was ending. Now, with proportional fonts on computer-printed docs, it doesn't matter. In classrooms, they teach single-space now, but either is technically correct.

My boss and I got in a big debate over this (I was on the two-spaces side, he was on one-space), thus why I know all of this :dizzy:

I don't really get bothered by the texting-language, so long as it doesn't take longer to type than the actual word (which is lame, because then why are you abbreviating??) and I can understand it.

PhotoChick
12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't mind text-speak *in proper context*. I text a lot and while I tend to be pretty anal about spelling properly, but even so, when I'm texting I have been known to use the occasional "ur" and "4" and so forth.

But on a message board or ESPECIALLY in an email .. it makes me insane. I've had potential clients email me and the email is practically unreadable (by me, anyway) due to the text-speak spelling. Honestly I tend to not respond to those emails - or to respond very basically. I realize that I might be losing a client, but I just can't handle it. I refuse to spend the next year dealing with a client who speaks in "text".

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
BTW, as a side note, there is supposed to be two spaces after a period before starting a new sentence. Why in the **** I care about that is beyond me.:shrug:

That has changed ;)

http://www.mla.org/style_faq3

littlepita4304
12-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm the same way to an extent. There are days where I spell everything out, add periods and double space after a period. But sometimes I just want to get the message to the person as quickly as possible so I shorten the way I type it. But other then that in email and other forms on writing I do type out everything.

EZMONEY
12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I know some of you are well educated...I did 12 yrs. of school and tape drywall for a living...how smart do I "got a b" ;)

Personally if someone is texting me on a personal level I could care less about the correct grammer. I just enjoy hearing from the person...mostly friends and family....

to be honest my son and I text a lot during games...if we used proper grammer during the game the play we are sharing together would be so over...I get a lot of "C dat"...OMG...WTF....O sh** Pops...luv ya...

for me...I could care less...but dats me ;)

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I know some of you are well educated...I did 12 yrs. of school and tape drywall for a living...how smart do I "got a b" ;)

Personally if someone is texting me on a personal level I could care less about the correct grammer. I just enjoy hearing from the person...mostly friends and family....

to be honest my son and I text a lot during games...if we used proper grammer during the game the play we are sharing together would be so over...I get a lot of "C dat"...OMG...WTF....O sh** Pops...luv ya...

for me...I could care less...but dats me ;)

Uhhh, they're talking about when you're NOT texting ;)

Operator265
12-18-2008, 11:25 PM
This actually isn't technically true anymore. Current standards for typing call for either 1 or 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. Previously, two spaces were necessary for typewriters because they used non-proportional fonts and it wasn't apparent when a sentence was ending. Now, with proportional fonts on computer-printed docs, it doesn't matter. In classrooms, they teach single-space now, but either is technically correct.

My boss and I got in a big debate over this (I was on the two-spaces side, he was on one-space), thus why I know all of this :dizzy:

I don't really get bothered by the texting-language, so long as it doesn't take longer to type than the actual word (which is lame, because then why are you abbreviating??) and I can understand it.

That doesn't surprise me. There were also many changes that came about when I graduated high school and went on to business college. I aced English because I could argue rule changes with my teacher. Like I said, I don't know why it bothers me. On computer screens it's not as noticeable as it is with hard copies. I just think it looks cleaner. I also prefer double spacing between paragraphs to single spacing with indents. That should be kept to books where spacing can actually create a cost component.

I can deal with a few abbreviations. I use b/c quite often along with a few others(BTW, OMG, personal favorite is STFU), but some people don't realize that too much of it leaves your message unreadable. Many of us are still newbs. I really don't like it when people speak in text. It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".:dz:

PhotoChick
12-18-2008, 11:25 PM
I could care less

You mean you COULDN'T care less. If you could care less, the obviously ... it bothers you. ;)

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I really don't like it when people speak in text. It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".:dz:

Um, but that's exactly what you said in your original post!

EZMONEY
12-19-2008, 12:03 AM
.... It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".:dz:

hummm...doesn't it save a Y and a HE and a AY?:)

You mean you COULDN'T care less. If you could care less, the obviously ... it bothers you. ;)

Why are you always picking on me PhotoChick?

Uhhh, they're talking about when you're NOT texting ;)

Julie texting for me at my age is not that easy!! Give me a break :)

walking2lose
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm an English teacher, so I can certainly relate to the post. I don't mind the text abbreviations when texting, but I sure do mind them in essays, on vocabulary quizzes, and in journal responses. I am sent over the edge regularly by something like the use of "cuz" or lower case "i" in formal writing... argh! When I text, I mostly use T9, so I don't have to abbreviate much. I actually enjoy getting texts from my students - their lingo fascinates me!

As far as the two spaces after a period... my department had a big discussion about that at the beginning of this year when we were revising some of our handouts for documentation. We ended up making a one page primer for students that includes how to format paper (MLA) and how to cite sources. We included the guideline of only one space after a period, but everyone in our department admitted they were personally having a very hard time breaking the habit. I am pretty sure I'm doing it now in this post - it's a tough habit to break, but one to which I will no doubt adapt.

Interesting thread!

Operator265
12-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm sorry. I am probably being confusing. I worked a couple of days of overtime and I'm hitting the wall. I just got off the phone with my X and I kept dropping out of the conversation due to spacing out.

What got me started on this aggravation was a text I received from a co-worker. There was so much abbreviating and text language that I couldn't even understand it. I had to have him tell me what he meant when I ran into him after work.

I can't use text like you do, Gary. My family basically just uses it for leaving messages to me, I guess kind of like easy access Email. That's why I wonder if I'll ever be able to adjust. Then, I might be able to have conversations with my girls without the frustration.

I know a major part of my irritation with speaking in text is due to my problem with hearing certain tones, so letters become a problem. I can't always tell if someone said "B" or "G" and I don't have a the anagrams down pat, so it's hard for me to pick up the context. I didn't even know I was compensating for that problem until I had my hearing tested when I was in my late 20's. According to the doctor, I listen for context to fill in what I don't actually hear.

I'm going to bed now. Night, night.:faint:

mandalinn82
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm holding onto the "either is correct" rule for now on double-spaces. No way can I break the habit!

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Why are you always picking on me PhotoChick?

Uh .... you posted a grammatical error in a thread on grammatical errors. Is pointing that out with a smile picking on you?

Why are you singling me out in a thread where my comment was perfectly appropriate?

Operator265
12-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm holding onto the "either is correct" rule for now on double-spaces. No way can I break the habit!

I was just trying not to double space after reading your post. Guess what. I can't do it. My thumbs just keep hitting that space bar twice.:lol:

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I can't do it. My thumbs just keep hitting that space bar twice.Same here. :) I grew up learning to type on a manual typewriter. I can't *not* hit the space bar twice. :)

Operator265
12-19-2008, 12:34 AM
hummm...doesn't it save a Y and a HE and a AY?:)

I mean when you are speaking to someone. "BTW" has 5 syllables. "By the way" has only 3.:)

NOW, I'm going to bed. Really I am. I think.:dizzy:

JulieJ08
12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh wow, saying those acronyms when actually speaking just does not leave a favorable impression, does it? ;) But those commercials with whole conversations in texting acronymese are pretty funny :)

nelie
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't text but I've been using online communication for many years (more than half my life, I think first online encounters were 15 years ago... of course I know many people can beat me and go back much further)

The short cuts have always annoyed me. LOL annoys me. B4 annoys me. ROFL annoys me. H8 annoys me. Other similar things annoy me. I used to even get annoyed with happy faces but I think I got over that. The short cuts were used way before texting when people had full keyboards to use.

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know if any of you watch Californication, but there's a great episode where Hank (David Duchovny's character) is in bed with a woman and they're laughing and chatting and she says "LOL". Like ... says the letters. El. Oh. El.

And he stops dead and looks at her and says "Did you just SAY lol?"

Their relationship ends shortly after that, but not before he goes on a huge rant about how people can't talk or write any more.

The episode just made me giggle all the way through because it so perfectly echoed my thoughts about text speak and how the Internet has "dumbed down" our language skills.

Operator265
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I need the emoticons. I'm such a smart aleck that if I didn't have someway to indicate that I'm kidding around, I would probably have hit men hunting me down. I'm not sure how it works on a phone pad, but on my PDA it is just as much of a pain to use numbers for sounds(such as H8) because you have to hit the function button then the number, so it is just as easy to type out the word.

I also thought those commercials were cute. I've always used some shorthand(w/o for without) and, yes, I took Gregg's Shorthand in high school. Now do we all realize how old I am.

Photochick, I also learned to type on a manual along with the IBM Selectric. Now it's called "keyboarding" and it seems most are really "hunt and pecking". Guess that is part of the reason for all the shortcuts. I think for many of us oldies it is just as fast to type it out.

mxgirl737
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
It bothers me sometimes, I guess it really depends who the text is from. My boyfriend, who is really very smart, will text me and it seems like it's from a completely different person. I've been texting since I was about 14 years old, or close to it. ...Almost 10 years now! My text language has changed quite a bit since then.

haha...I've heard many kids my age talk in text.... actually speak "LOL" "WTF" "OMG" I think it's pretty normal for my generation. Sad, but normal. We've had computers since we were small children. It's just how we were raised. We're used to it. And it's hard to change.

nelie
12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
One of my husbands coworkers (a guy on his way to a phd) will say WTF or LOL. I just roll my eyes.

I type out "oh my god". I actually wouldn't really use wtf and I don't use rtfm although its one of the shortcuts that always amuses me.

alinnell
12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
There is one "acronym" that I ALWAYS have to look up on Urban Dictionary (thank goodness for that site!). It is ftw. I think I'll remember it having looked it up a dozen times now, but I still don't understand why it has to be used. It means "for the win" and my daughter's friends will use it on Facebook when they're discussing things.

Anyway, I am so thankful for the conversation about the periods! I am a die hard two spacer and I'm sure I'll never get over that habit. My daughter tried to tell me why I didn't need to do it, but she couldn't come up with a reason other than it wasn't necessary. Now I know why, thanks Amanda!

Operator265
12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
There is one "acronym" that I ALWAYS have to look up on Urban Dictionary (thank goodness for that site!).

Thank you so much for mentioning this site.:hug: I just checked it out. I think this could help me a lot.:D

alinnell
12-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much for mentioning this site.:hug: I just checked it out. I think this could help me a lot.:D

You are welcome. It really comes in handy if you have teenagers!!!

CruiseCAT
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
It took a couple years for me to stop spelling everything out and use "text" lingo; however, my new phone will complete words as you type so I am finding that I am reverting to old behavior.

As for the double spacing at the end of a sentence I don't think I can ever change that. I just did a typing test both ways and my test using one space was 18 WPM slower. Reason enough for me not to stop.

JulieJ08
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, this may not be true of all acronyms, but most of the time I'd rather hear WTF than the actual words. When did F become something comfortably said in front of ANYONE?

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Well .. I'm one of those people who drops the f-bomb quite a bit. I watch myself around kids, but otherwise, to me it's just another word. :)

I will admit that I do use acronyms a lot ... BTW, YMMV, WTF, etc. I don't mind acronyms at all. I just hate things like 4 (for), ur (your/you're), r (are), etc.

Thin4Good
12-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I frequently use acronyms in internet conversations. I don't say them unless I am being silly. I will never stop double spacing. :p

I like the smiley faces. Maybe too much. :shrug: I am a complete smart alack and I need them so that my meaning is clear.

mandalinn82
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I am guilty of saying "OMG" out loud, in regular conversations. But only to my wife, because its sort of an inside joke between us (We actually say OMGpants, which is completely non-sensical...also "yaypants". Basically we just throw "pants" on the end of everything).

cbmare
12-19-2008, 06:34 PM
I am guilty of saying "OMG" out loud, in regular conversations. But only to my wife, because its sort of an inside joke between us (We actually say OMGpants, which is completely non-sensical...also "yaypants". Basically we just throw "pants" on the end of everything).

OK. So now we know. You like to dress your words. :lol:

I can't single space. My thumb doesn't know how to do that at the end of a word.

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 07:14 PM
My thumb doesn't know how to do that at the end of a word.Hahah!

Ok I will admit that my guy and I say O M G ... but in a smart alecky Valley-girl tone ... when we're giving each other a hard time.

Beautiful Ace
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I will keep that in mind when I'm making posts! I usually try to do my best with the grammar and spelling. Now I'm going to be extra careful.

Findmyself
12-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know why some people don't return emails because of spelling mistakes, but don't mind using the F word all the time?

People may say: "What the F?" or they may say "Where is my f%$en keys?"

Now, when you consider what the actual word "f" means, these sentences do not make any sense!!

EZ, I think that your posts are usually very funny, including the one where you mentioned "I could care less". It was riddled with deliberate spelling and grammar mistakes, in example "but dats me", so I don't know why somebody will correct you on "I could care less".

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know why some people don't return emails because of spelling mistakes, but don't mind using the F word all the time?What does using a perfectly valid word have to do with spelling mistakes? The two aren't related.

People may say: "What the F?" or they may say "Where is my f%$en keys?"
Now, when you consider what the actual word "f" means, these sentences do not make any sense!!Um. Ok. That doesn't make any sense to me. Why does WTF make any less sense than "oh my goodness" or "what the heck" or any other interjection?

EZMONEY
12-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Uh .... you posted a grammatical error in a thread on grammatical errors. Is pointing that out with a smile picking on you?

I said it in jest PhotoChick...but seriously I have many errors in my posting to pick out if you wish to point them out

Why are you singling me out in a thread where my comment was perfectly appropriate?

I didn't single you out...I actually posted to Operator and Julie in the same post.

It bothers me sometimes, I guess it really depends who the text is from. My boyfriend, who is really very smart, will text me and it seems like it's from a completely different person. I've been texting since I was about 14 years old, or close to it. ...Almost 10 years now! My text language has changed quite a bit since then.

haha...I've heard many kids my age talk in text.... actually speak "LOL" "WTF" "OMG" I think it's pretty normal for my generation. Sad, but normal. We've had computers since we were small children. It's just how we were raised. We're used to it. And it's hard to change.

It is normal for you kids to talk as you do....just as we did in our day....many years ago ;)

Well, this may not be true of all acronyms, but most of the time I'd rather hear WTF than the actual words. When did F become something comfortably said in front of ANYONE?

I bet I hear the F word a hundred times a day in construction...many times I use it myself...:(....when it is used the word "heck" could fit in the sentence almost every time...I really think most people anymore really look at it as a cuss word....at least around the low-lifes I hang out with ;)

nelie
12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
I never hear the F word. It also makes me uncomfortable when used.

alinnell
12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
did you all know there is a brand of Vodka called Effen Vodka? My FIL has a t-shirt (and for a gag gift we bought him a bottle--tres expensive!).

Findmyself
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I also hear the F word a hundred times a day - and don't mind it much.

I also don't mind spelling mistakes.

I have a friend that hates "text language". And I respect that, as she also watch her p's and q's in regard with the language she uses. She doesn't have dubble standards.

EZMONEY
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
OK. So now we know. You like to dress your words. :lol:

HILARIOUS!!!!

I can't single space. My thumb doesn't know how to do that at the end of a word.

did you all know there is a brand of Vodka called Effen Vodka? My FIL has a t-shirt (and for a gag gift we bought him a bottle--tres expensive!).

I have drunk it ALLISON :)

EZMONEY
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I also hear the F word a hundred times a day - and don't mind it much.

I also don't mind spelling mistakes.

I have a friend that hates "text language". And I respect that, as she also watch her p's and q's in regard with the language she uses. She doesn't have dubble standards.

I believe that it is dooble dear ;)

Findmyself
12-20-2008, 12:04 AM

:rofl: How ironic?! I think it is so funny, I am not even going to edit my post to correct it!

I will just bluff and say that I made a deliberate mistake... Yea... Really... I did...

:dizzy:

lbwhite89
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Double?

I don't think I've ever heard of "dubble" or "dooble".

Findmyself
12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Double?

Yes, it should be double. I misspelled it by accident.

JulieJ08
12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Double?

Dubbell.

walking2lose
12-20-2008, 12:05 PM
There is one "acronym" that I ALWAYS have to look up on Urban Dictionary (thank goodness for that site!). It is ftw. I think I'll remember it having looked it up a dozen times now, but I still don't understand why it has to be used. It means "for the win" and my daughter's friends will use it on Facebook when they're discussing things.

Allison - I've never heard this one! Can you give some examples of how they use it??

I admit that I'm guilty of using the F word way more than I should. There's a time and place for different kinds of language to be used, and I don't have a problem with using it around my husband or certain friends who also sprinkle their conversations with it. It is a very versatile word, actually, and can be used as any part of speech. I think that's what's makes it such a habitual choice for those of us who use it. However, I would NEVER use it in public or around anyone who may be offended by it or where it's just clearly inappropriate, and I highly respect that it's very offensive for some people to hear.
T
here have been times, though, where I would have loved to have yelled, "Shut the F up!" at some of my rowdier classes of 17 year olds. I suspect that would straighten up pretty quickly! Of course, I would never do that. We have a veteran teacher at our school who is highly respected by kids and faculty alike. She's a 60 year old Puerto Rican Catholic and one of the hardest working and best teachers we have. A couple years ago she snapped on a kid and after putting up with weeks of an enormous amount of grief from him, finally leaned in and said in firm but low voice, "Get the F out of this room." The kids were astonished, and of course silent for the rest of the block. The principal had to reprimand her, and she apologized, but she also said she didn't regret it a bit and that it felt great. I realize the word is way overused, but there can certainly be something powerful and cathartic about using it in certain situations.

JulieJ08
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Earlier this year, when I was, ahem, eating fast food every day, I could hardly sit in a "restaurant" for a meal without listening to loud, repetitive, bad language, from people who apparently had no idea it was inappropriate with children at the next table, much less the other people around. And I'm not just talking teenagers doing it. The teenagers are actually more amenable to a stare or request to stop. Adults get scary belligerent at any suggestion that the 4-year sitting at the next table doesn't need to hear F this and F that.

walking2lose
12-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Earlier this year, when I was, ahem, eating fast food every day, I could hardly sit in a "restaurant" for a meal without listening to loud, repetitive, bad language, from people who apparently had no idea it was inappropriate with children at the next table, much less the other people around. And I'm not just talking teenagers doing it. The teenagers are actually more amenable to a stare or request to stop. Adults get scary belligerent at any suggestion that the 4-year sitting at the next table doesn't need to hear F this and F that.

Very true. Public places, and ANYWHERE around children, are not appropriate venues for profanity.

EZMONEY
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Double?

It was just a little yoke :)

NightengaleShane
12-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I have been guilty of using profanity in public plenty of times. As a defiant young adult (ages 18-20, maybe 21), I just didn't give a :censored: if I offended people. I was using my right to free speech :devil:

However, after getting a little bit older, a little bit more mature, and a little bit more considerate, I have toned down my excessive profanity. I try to not swear as much in general except for emphasis as walking2lose mentioned above.

I do think it is contradictory when parents tell others not to swear around their children while every other word out of THEIR mouths is "F this, F that, S, B, A, etc" though. I've seen that quite a bit here and all I can think is, "Uhh... why are you telling ME not to use such words? Look at what a great example YOU'RE setting!"

Amarantha2
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Re spaces after periods, it is always been ONE space in the industry in which I work (print journalism), although one always met coworkers who didn't realize that. But now, yea, it is generally acceptible in all venues to use one or two as preferred. I gave up using two for general purpose typing long ago and have always been bothered by seeing two, even though correct, and why that bothers ME, I can't say either. :laugh:

I pretty much make my own style rules these days anyhow.

Amarantha2
12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Re profanity, I personally don't like it except for rare emphasis as per one poster's story regarding the teacher.

The use of profanity for emphasis by someone who does not habitually use it makes it more effective when they do.

JackieRn
12-20-2008, 08:58 PM
People make fun of me because I text whole sentences instead of the shorthand I just can't get used to it. For me texting is already so impersonal I just think whole sentences make more of connection than ttyl, IDK, and the like.

Also, I've given up on the two spaces after a sentence that seems to have been lost sometime after freshman year in college, in high school I couldn't get away with it but now few people seem to care.

Haley8203
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
my ex boyfriend instead of laughing he would actually say lol with a straight face......

alinnell
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Allison - I've never heard this one! Can you give some examples of how they use it??

I admit that I'm guilty of using the F word way more than I should. There's a time and place for different kinds of language to be used, and I don't have a problem with using it around my husband or certain friends who also sprinkle their conversations with it. It is a very versatile word, actually, and can be used as any part of speech. I think that's what's makes it such a habitual choice for those of us who use it. However, I would NEVER use it in public or around anyone who may be offended by it or where it's just clearly inappropriate, and I highly respect that it's very offensive for some people to hear.
T
here have been times, though, where I would have loved to have yelled, "Shut the F up!" at some of my rowdier classes of 17 year olds. I suspect that would straighten up pretty quickly! Of course, I would never do that. We have a veteran teacher at our school who is highly respected by kids and faculty alike. She's a 60 year old Puerto Rican Catholic and one of the hardest working and best teachers we have. A couple years ago she snapped on a kid and after putting up with weeks of an enormous amount of grief from him, finally leaned in and said in firm but low voice, "Get the F out of this room." The kids were astonished, and of course silent for the rest of the block. The principal had to reprimand her, and she apologized, but she also said she didn't regret it a bit and that it felt great. I realize the word is way overused, but there can certainly be something powerful and cathartic about using it in certain situations.

I can't really give you an example as I still don't quite "get it." It's used randomly in text conversation, kind of to make a point, like they're saying that they're right or better or something.

walking2lose
12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I can't really give you an example as I still don't quite "get it." It's used randomly in text conversation, kind of to make a point, like they're saying that they're right or better or something.

That's interesting. I'll pay attention and see if I hear the teens here in Virginia using it. :)