General chatter - Aphil on YouTube

View Full Version : Aphil on YouTube

aphil
12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I was performing in a holiday stage show last weekend, and someone videotaped! Imagine my surprise this morning when I find myself on YouTube!

I am dancing improv (my piece was not planned/choreographed ahead of time-I am making it up as I go along!) to a Greek pop music piece. At the very end of the piece, I am playing finger cymbals during the fast ending portion, but you have to turn your speakers up pretty good to hear them.

Anyhow...this is what I do! :dizzy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMWC9u7iMo

luvja
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Very cool :)

Shannon in ATL
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
That was beautiful, Aphil! I have a laptop, so couldn't really hear the finger cymbals... sadness... I'll watch again from home tonight to see if I get them there! :)

anastasia
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
oh wow. you're really good!

lizziep
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
very nice!

bargoo
12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Wish I could see you perform in person. Your costume is beautiful and your dancing so graceful.

painted lady
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
you look so goooooooood.

i took a Middle Eastern dance class once. it was really fun. i should take one again!!

aphil
12-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you everyone! I have gotten asked quite often here over the years if I had any video footage of myself dancing-I finally found some posted, so I thought that I would share!

Suzanne 3FC
12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
That was FANTASTIC! I never thought I'd get the chance to see you perform, I'm so glad you posted this :)

cbmare
12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I loved it! Our local parks and rec offer belly dancing for exercise. I've been tempted to take the class. I know you've discussed it here many times. After seeing your costume, I feel I can do it. I don't have to be half clothed like I've seen belly dancers at the local Morrocan restaurant.

Jennifer 3FC
12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow, that's beautiful! I'm so glad to finally see you dance. :belly:

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
That's just great, I'm so glad you posted. At first it looked like you didn't have normal bones in your arms!

junebug41
12-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Very cool, Aphil!

Ookpik
12-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Very cool! :)

Schumeany
12-19-2008, 02:49 AM
That was gorgeous. You are incredibly graceful and with all that red hair cascading everywhere, contrasting with the jewel tone of your costume, you absolutely shone up there. :)

PhotoChick
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
That is so cool! I loved it. And to dance improv like that amazes me.

Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

>

walking2lose
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Love it!!!! Thanks for sharing, Aphil!

Operator265
12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow, Aphil, that was great!!! I've been wanting to learn to dance for awhile. You've really got talent.

Elwing
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh wow, improv dancing seems really hard to me. Don't you get nervous when you have to fill the stage for such a time all on your own? And that dress is gorgeous!

aphil
12-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh wow, improv dancing seems really hard to me. Don't you get nervous when you have to fill the stage for such a time all on your own? And that dress is gorgeous!

It's definitely a process. When I started, I danced group choreographed routines. Then, I got braver and did choreographed duets or solos. After that, I got even braver and did improv with groups...and finally improv solos.

I don't really get nervous anymore after so many years of doing it. When I dance on the weekends at the Greek restaurant where I work, I do 3 sets a night-and each set has 3-4 songs and is 12-20 minutes long. I had to really learn improv skills, because in a restaurant it is impossible to go out there and do completely choreographed routines. You never know when someone is going to walk in your path, a waitress is going to come through with a tray of food or drinks, or if someone is going to get up and dance with you, or stop you and talk to you or tip you.

Some dancers do nothing but choreo'd routines for stage events, festivals, etc. but restaurant dancers have to learn to improv and not be nervous or apprehensive about it. It is just second nature to me now.

I think of it like going out and dancing in a club, or out on the dance floor at a wedding reception or something...except instead of just dancing (like one normally would) I am dancing to a particular genre of music, and using movements that are from Egypt, Turkey, Greece, etc. and using props like the finger cymbals, sword, or veil.

The longer you are involved in the dance, the easier the improv becomes. If I recognize a particular drum rhythm (certain ones are prevalant in ME dance) then I know what movements would look good to improv for that particular rhythm. If one knows many of the rhythms in ME dance, you can improv to music you have never heard before, or to live musicians even. You just have to listen. :)

aphil
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh...the costume is actually a 2 piece belly revealing Egyptian set, not a dress. It is a top that knots closed in the front, and a separate skirt.

I have on gold harem pants underneath, and a royal blue and gold coin hip scarf over it. What you see on my midriff area is actually called a belly stocking. They come in different colors, etc. Basically, think of it as "pantyhose" for your midriff. They are sheer like pantyhose. I have them in different colors-black, nude, white, blue, etc. I wear them with my two piece costumes because I have stretch marks from my 3 babies, and it camoflauges them while still giving me the visible bare belly so that the audience can see my torso movements. They are WONDERFUL.

EZMONEY
12-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Now there is one HIP Chick ;)

CountingDown
12-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Aphil - thanks for posting the link. It was delightful! You are a beautiful dancer :)