Weight Loss Support - anyone miss their fat bodies?

View Full Version : anyone miss their fat bodies?

teawithsunshine
12-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi y'all--

I've been in a kinda reflective mood this past evening. I've noticed quite some changes in my body since I started losing weight again (i.e. increased muscle mass, reduction of fat, etc) and kinda felt a little nostalgic for the "old" me... in which I was - yessssss - heavier by over 100 lbs that I've since lost... but at least I knew how I would feel when sitting down (a lotta butt fat to cushion me :D) or when seeing my large shape in the mirror and know what clothes size/stores/"looks" would look good on me-- even as an seriously obese person.

Now, it's all changing as I'm reaching the magic "199 lbs" mark in a few weeks (hopefully! I'm at 203 lbs as of this post) and I felt a little whimsical for back then when I did know how I looked in the mirror as an even more overweight gal ;) *Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with all the changes I'm feeling/seeing as of late with losing weight, lol :cool:*

Perhaps its the jolly ole winter season? lol

Anyone else ever catch themselves in that kind of flashback moment? How do you deal with it?

horsey
12-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Oh yeah I missed my fat body so much I gained weight back! Keep going and congrats on your weight loss.

Vahla
12-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Sometimes I miss the fact that I used to eat and eat and eat and not even think about exercise.I sometimes wish I could just go back to being fat so that I could eat the entire cake, or eat a whole block of cheese without any guilt but then I'm reminded of the fact that my health is so much improved and when I finish I can find clothes I like that fit me rather than only wearing what fits even if I hate it.

rockinrobin
12-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh yeah I missed my fat body so much I gained weight back! Keep going and congrats on your weight loss.

Cute horsey, very cute.

Well, I guess if one misses it enough, gaining it back is always an option, huh? ;)

Just kidding sunshine, I know it was a serious question. And my answer is a bit gigantic NO. I never, ever miss my fat. Not for a second.

But I do understand (a little bit) what you are speaking about. Sure, in the old days I always went to clothing stores, all 3 of them that is, and went right to the largest size. As I was going down in weight it WAS a little confusing til I found the right sizes. Oh and the right styles. I used to just take whatever got around me. Now I actually have to decide what to buy as there's soooo much to choose from and sooo much that fits me and quite frankly - it ALL looks good on me.

And yes, I've got zilcho padding on the behind. Some chairs could definitely use a little more cushioning, now that I've got none. But back in the day I was TERRIFIED of chairs. I was always afraid I wasn't going to fit in them and that I was going to break them. Horrible memories for me. Horrible.

And yes, I was DEFINITELY warmer back when I was morbidly obese. And now I am frigid. Comes with the package.

It is an adjustment, that is for sure. I guess it's a good thing it takes time to get all the weight off, so we can adjust to it as it comes off. The unknown is always a bit scary, but it's also exciting and fun. Enjoy the changes as you learn what you were meant to be all along. And that is what I truly believe. You will discover who you were intended to be.

:carrot:Congratulations on your phenomenal weight loss, thus far. :carrot:

rockinrobin
12-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Sometimes I miss the fact that I used to eat and eat and eat and not even think about exercise.I sometimes wish I could just go back to being fat so that I could eat the entire cake, or eat a whole block of cheese without any guilt but then I'm reminded of the fact that my health is so much improved and when I finish I can find clothes I like that fit me rather than only wearing what fits even if I hate it.

This is a good point. I do sometimes miss the fact that I can't eat ALL that food and that I HAVE to exercise. But as we all know, we can't have it both ways. It just can't occur. We can't have all "that food" in our lives AND be that fit, healthy, slender person. So, of course we have to choose just which one it will be. And like most of us here, I choose to be the fit, healthy, slender person.

But to tell you the truth, eating all "that food" never really made me a happy person. Eating what I wanted, when I wanted was not a satisfactory life for me. Not the food in and of itself and certainly not the consequences of all that food. And now that I am carefully monitoring my food intake and exercising, I AM a much happier person and a much healthier person.

JayEll
12-18-2008, 07:01 AM
There is nothing I miss about it. Not the heat rash, not the splitting out of the back seam of pants that are too small (while on a business trip, no less), not the out-of-breath, is-this-the-heart-attack moments, not the trying to "look good" but not really making it. Nope. I don't miss my fat body at all, and I don't want it back. :no:

Jay

Tomato
12-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Do I miss it?? Heck, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!:fr:

And mainly, I don't miss my old self. So many people commented on what a happy person I have become and I would like to keep it that way. Besides, I am kinda enjoying the compliments - my coworkers now call me 'skinny' (although there is nothing skinny about me). I hope that by summer, I will have that 6 pack I keep dreaming about. My muscles are getting a very nice definition and like I said yesterday, size 4 jeans are waiting in the closet. :D:D

I don't want to go back, ever!

FB
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't miss it at all, not a bit. Perhaps the winter season makes you pine for the familiar? It's cold outside and familiarity is sort of cozy.

When I first started losing and the change was rough I was nostalgic for my old lifestyle, a bit like being nostalgic for childhood. You know, the complete lack of responsibility, accountability and disregard for consequence. Being reckless and all.

MBN
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
No way! I don't miss stuffing myself into too-small sizes because nothing fit and I was bound and determined not to buy yet a larger size. I avoided mirrors, got out of breath walking up stairs, and couldn't run any distance at all. I felt sluggish, out of shape, and .... old.

My current slimmer body performs so much better and I FEEL so much better now. I also sometimes wish I didn't have to watch what I eat all of the time -- especially at this time of year. But then I remember how I felt when I was heavier, and I'd rather work out, eat right and feel good, than eat everything in sight and feel bad.

So no, I don't miss my heavier self AT ALL.

flatiron
12-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Are you serious???

Just for the record I am still fat but losing and when it is gone ...

... am I going to miss the back pain, weak knees and ankles, sky high blood pressure and fluid retention and lower leg edema, not being about to stand for more thasn 15 minutes without leaning on something, fear of running into old friends, humiliation of not fitting into public seats and breaking a brand spanking new dining room table chair of a new friend just by simply sitting in it?

... no

Jacquie668
12-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I will miss the excuses I used because I was 340 pounds. I will miss the way people avoided me and I will miss the way I stay in and never go anywhere. Saying that, I also won't miss it. It is just my way of saying that being so big was like a protective blanket of fat and in a way I'll miss it, but apart of my journey is moving on and finding myself again. So, even though I'm scared of the future, I'm still going for it! :D

Hopefully that makes sense...

Thighs Be Gone
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
When I was fat my role in life felt more defined. I was the at fat room mom that did all the work. I was the fat friend that was always good for a laugh. I was the fat wife that never wore anything that didn't come the fat girls store. As I go down, I am really having to figure out everything--from clothes, to how I should act--the charade wasn't really me, etc. I also felt "safer" being fat. Now, I feel vulnerable like I am naked or something. Physically I MISS MY BREASTS. Originally a 38DD, I am now a 36B!

BUT, I am happy to be able to move. I am so excited that I have decreased my chances of so many illnesses. I am happy not to be the fattest in the room anymore. I am happy to throw a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt on, put my hair in a headband and still look reasonably nice. I am happy my husband is so proud of my accomplishment. I am proud when I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself.

I guess in the end it's a tradeoff.

TiffTiff1985
12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
You can't miss anything you still have!!!

deathnotronic
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
The ONLY thing I miss, is that my prom dress is too big now. It was so pretty and now my boobs are wayyyy too small to wear it.
Other than that OMG I WOULD NEVER MISS BEING FAT(ter).

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I have to say ... NOPE.

MonteCristo
12-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Definitely not. Sometimes I miss eating whatever I want, or get tired of being cold, but I don't think I'll ever miss my old body.

MindiV
12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I get where you're coming from, for sure. I miss having BOOBS! I was a 38D and now I'm a 32 B or C, only because the saggy skin. If not for it, I'd be an A. I hate the way my boobs look now, and am seriously considering implants. I'd have NEVER considered plastic surgery for ANY reason before...

NightengaleShane
12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Do I miss my fat body? NO! NO! NO! Absolutely NOT!!

As mentioned above, I DO miss being able to eat whatever I wanted and just thinking, "Bah, well, sure I can eat the entire bag of chips, I'm ALREADY FAT, right? Ooooh, BEN & JERRYS! Welp, I'm a big fatso, I'm going to eat this entire pint. Chinese buffets? Ya'll better fear me! Oh! And I can outdrink everyone because I'm fat AND Irish! The calories won't matter, either, 'cause, OF COURSE, I remember... I'm FAT!" It was quite an unhealthy attitude. I did similar things *before* I got fat, only with the blanket of, "I don't gain weight anyway. I'm young, I only live once, I don't care if I'm trashing my body. Act now, pray later!"

I think it is interesting how some of you just uncomfortably embraced the "fat" role because (I'm assuming) it's easier to call yourself out on being fat than having someone else hint at it. I did the opposite - I pointed OUT the fact that, yes, I was overweight, but also wanted to make sure EVERYONE KNEW I was thin once. I even carried around pictures of me back in my thin days, as well as professional modeling pictures of me, so everyone could see how hot I was. Then, I fished around for compliments and opinions to see if people really thought I was as fat as I thought I was. Sad, huh?

There IS one thing I DO miss about being fat, though, and that would be double D boobs. I don't miss them hurting my back, though. If they just shrunk down to a large C instead of a regular B, I'd be happy. I also miss not getting cold easily (now, I'm like a refrigerator!) but not enough to ever, ever, EVERRRR want to be fat again.

Tomato
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I get where you're coming from, for sure. I miss having BOOBS! I was a 38D and now I'm a 32 B or C, only because the saggy skin. If not for it, I'd be an A. I hate the way my boobs look now, and am seriously considering implants. I'd have NEVER considered plastic surgery for ANY reason before...

Huh! Funny, and I can't wait for the boobage to shrink a little. I lost quite some inches in chest, but I am still wearing my 40 D bras, even after losing 43 lbs.
To add insult to the injury, I was at Sears a few weeks ago looking for a specific bra. I didn't find what I wanted but seeing a lady with a measuring tape around her neck, I asked if I would need an appointment to be measured. She said, so off into a fitting room I went. To my surprise the "fitting" lady measured me with my clothes on. I thought, what I if am wearing a completely wrong size of bra? wouldn't that skew the results?
Anyway, she declared I was anywhere between 38 and 40 and between a D and DD cup. I almost fainted. I have NEVER worn a DD cup before - and not out of vanity. I used to sew all my clothes so I am pretty good at deciding what fits me and what doesn't, and had I ever needed to get a DD, I would have.

asparagus4sale
12-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I am still a work in progress so it is hard to miss something that is still there but what I have found is that I have a hard time forgiving myself during these holidays when I go overboard. So I think I miss last year when it was Christmas time and I would eat whatever I wanted and not feel bad about it. But, that being said, I remember wearing sweatpants my entire Christmas break because nothing else really fit and although I didn't beat myself up over the holidays, I was very down on mysef in general and had zero self-esteem. Oh and I have never had boobs (except when pregnant) - fat or skinny I am lucky to be filling a big A. :(

Schumeany
12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I started a thread a couple of days ago about missing when my relations with men, and to some extent women, were simpler -- being the "fat" friend is easy and familiar. But I do NOT miss getting winded walking up a hill or the flab on my arms...or trying to button my jeans and trying to find shirts to hide my tummy.

Lori Bell
12-18-2008, 02:29 PM
No, I don't miss my old fatter body, and each additional pound I lose is a clean break farewell. There is not one thing I can think of that makes me miss it. Good bye and good ridden!

lumifan4ever
12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I miss being skinny...i've put about 23 pounds back on this year..and while 155-157 is not that bad .... it's all in my waist. Oh, and my face is looking fuller than i like.

I miss the days of being clueless about how much i weighed and how fat i looked. I do miss always having to worry about what i'm eating, how much fat is in it, how many calories are in it...and so forth. But i do not miss being fat. I remember how i was so upset that i was not flexible and limber like i used to be when i was skinny.

Now, i miss wearing my tight shirts because of the weightgain from the past few months...it alll goes to the belly.

PhotoChick
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I so don't miss being fat. Never, ever, ever, ever.

I posted something a while back about the intangible positive things about not being fat and writing them down and putting the post on my blog just totally reinforced the feeling.

I LOVE not being fat (notice I don't describe myself as skinny or slim, because I'm not there yet! :) I am just firmly not-fat!). I love it with a passion. How much do I love it? Let me count the ways:
I love being able to fit into cute clothes.
I love being able to walk up the stairs - to RUN up the stairs - and not be out of breath.
I love being able touch my toes.
I love that my gut doesn't block my view of my feet anymore.
I love that I can see my collar bones, my wrist bones, my ankles and that I can feel my ribs and my hipbones.
I love that I can put on a sweater that clings and you can see where my waist curves in.
I love that I'm not afraid to sit down in that sweater because I'm ashamed of my rolls (multiple) of fat that spill over my waistband.
I love being able to walk into the "fun" clothing stores (like Gap, The Limited, Anthropologie, etc.) and find things in my size that look good.
I love enjoying my food and enjoying treats because they're *treats*.
I love not being ruled by food.
I love the crazy energy I have and that I don't come home from work, throw myself down on the sofa and feel like crap for the rest of the evening.
I love that I don't have heartburn any more.
I love that I don't snore any more.
I love that when I *do* indulge in something like a burger and fries or an ice cream I don't think that everyone is secretly looking at me and thinking "lookit the fat chick stuffing her fat face".
I love the way my guy looks at me every time we see each other and that he runs his hands down my sides and tells me that I look "f*****g awesome, babes!"
I love that I can finally wear short hair w/out feeling like my face and neck (and chins) overwhelms my hairstyle.
Speaking of which, I love having only ONE chin. :)
I love the look on people's faces when they see me for the first time in a while and they double take because they don't recognize me.
I love knowing that I'm capable of this. That I have the strength I never thought I had to not let food rule my life.
I love discovering new things about my body and myself every single day - whether it's a new curve, a new like or dislike, or a new ability.
Seriously. I could go on forever. Every time I think about how much I miss being able to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, I start to think about this list and how different my life was when I was fat.

I will never ever ever ever miss my fat self. Ever. I'm so glad that person is gone. I'm so glad those layers of fat that hid the person I really am are gone. Sayonara, bay-bee. They're never coming back.

thatgirl1024
12-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I Never Ever Ever Want To Look Like I Used To. Ever. Point Blank. Period. Never.

cfmama
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I am still fat. Very fat. But 50 lbs LESS fat than I was 82 days ago.

I DO NOT MISS the fat that has left.

I do not miss the HUMONGOUS roll of back fat that is nearly gone.

I do not miss the huge ankles that have slimmed down.

I do NOT miss the GIANT waddle under my chin(s)

I miss nothing about that 50 lbs. Nothing.

TheTinGirl
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmm...I'm gonna have to go with no. I'm still very heavy but 70 pounds less then I was a year ago. Do not miss going to walmart and buying hoodies in the plus guys section, do not miss the day that the largest size in the plus size store didn't fit me (I cried)...Did not miss blood sugar randomly spiking to 900+...annnd...did not miss people asking me when I was due (My weight is ALL in my stomach I actually look pretty slim from a front view...it's weird!)

I can NOT wait till I get where I want to be. I am going to be so excited.

Need to pray I keep my boobs though...>.>..<.<